The Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge discussion

What We're Reading > What book from the guide did you just finish?

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie If you're reading other random books from the guide, here is where you can post your thoughts when you finish them. I have been reading other books, so I thought it would be a nice addition to the group page.

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara The Eyre Affair

What a fun little book! I was not sure how much I would like this story since I have not read Jane Eyre, but I loved it (and now I have to read Jane Eyre). The protagonist was smart and the story was imaginative and quick moving. It had everything that I could want; love, books becoming real, and a bit of whimsy. Will definitely check out more books in the Thursday Next series.

Who can resist a smile when there is a character named Jack Sh*t. Although technically it is Jack Schitt.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I just finished Milkweed for this month.

message 4: by southpaw285 (last edited Nov 30, 2009 12:25PM) (new)

southpaw285 I just finished The Book Thief and I loved it.

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vicki507) | 18 comments I just finished A Christmas Carol.

message 6: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 133 comments I just finished The Golden Compass, book one of His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman. I listened to it on cd, and it was fabulous. Last night, I'm driving home from work along a dark, wooded, and semi-mountainous road listening to the chapter titled "Mortal Combat". Two armored bears are fighting to the death, and I swear I was so rapped up in the book, I almost drove off the road. Gripping! Absolutely gripping! Hopefully, no one will decide to legislate listening to books while driving or I'd be in trouble. I'm now addicted to audiobooks.

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara I just started listening to audiobooks too! I am amazed at how much I like them. I heard that The Golden Compass was a good one in audio form. I did Paper Towns in Audio and it was well done with a good narrator.

message 8: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 133 comments One of my students was reading Paper Towns, and it looks good. Was it as good as it looked? And I would HIGHLY recommend The Golden Compass on audiobook.

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara I really liked it!! It reminded me of friends I had in high school. It had some of the teen angst, some mystery, and a good bit about judging other people.

I think I rated it *****

message 10: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 133 comments SOLD! I'll be picking this one for my classroom. Thanks for the review, Tara!

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I just read Stargirl and LOVED it. I haven't posted my review in my ticker section yet.

message 12: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 133 comments OMG - my favorite Spinelli ever! I heard the sequel wasn't as good. I haven't read it though.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I was seriously considering changing my user name on here to Stargirl. I have been thinking of literary characters I could use instead of Stephanie. There are like 7 Stephanies in the seasonal challenge. That is why I went to Stephanie Anne.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 62 comments I had my hands on 2 copies of Stargirl at GW this week, but didn't buy either. I thought it was in the book guide, but I wasn't sure. I'll have to check back next week to see if either are still there.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I have been doing a little side reading and will be coming back to the list soon. From the guide, I have just read:

Catherine, Called Birdy
Walk Two Moons

Loved both.

I finished Ender's Game today. Good, not great.

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara I just finished Maus I A Survivor's Tale My Father Bleeds History.
This was my second graphic novel and although different than the first, just as powerful. It was truly a different experience to read about the holocaust in this format. The horrors were more vivid when drawn in black ink. A truly personal story about a father and son, on top of his father's story of the war. I can see why this book was so highly recommended.

message 17: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 I just finished Arabella by Georgette Heyer, and really enjoyed it.

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara I just finished Looking for Alaska and loved it! 5 stars!
I can definitely see how it won an award and got into the guide.

message 19: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 3 comments Just finished rereading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
four and a half to five stars, i say (:

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara I just finished Boy Meets Boy. I listened to it on CD and it was pretty good. I was not in love with it, but I did think it was a fresh look at homosexuality and I loved that the atmosphere he created was so positive and accepting.

message 21: by Tara (new)

Tara I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha and really enjoyed it. It was a wonderful way to learn more about the Geisha culture. I was just engrossed with Sayuri's story.

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Just finished I Capture the Castle and loved it! This was a great summer book - I read it mostly on a plane and in an airport, and then by our pool.

message 23: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) I just finished Feed and I had some mixed feelings about it. I can see what the author was trying to accomplish, but the first half and the second half of the book are both extreme in the tone behind them and they are so opposite. I will review and post under my progress as soon as I can learn to articulate my feelings...

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara Just finished American Born Chinese and loved it!

message 25: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 I just finished Gone With the Wind and it was great! Loved it!!

message 26: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 552 comments Mod
I finished Black Hawk Down today. Should I start a thread for it?

message 27: by Tara (new)

Tara I would. I started a thread for the other book this month.

message 28: by Rosemary (last edited Jan 17, 2011 10:15AM) (new)

I just finished Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson and found it so funny. I laughed out loud several times which I don't often do. For me it beats other diary-style humorous teen books hollow.

message 29: by Rosemary (new)

I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower and I'm a little stunned by it. I did like it a lot. Toward the end I was thinking, will I want to read it again or should I swap this book? I just don't know.

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara I found that it was hard to read at times due to the subject matter. It was one of those books that I was glad I read but don't want to read again.

message 31: by Corren (new)

Corren | 105 comments That book is not in my guide. What is it about?

message 32: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 77 comments It's about a boy in high school with some psychological problems. Written in the 1990s. Not an easy read. Maybe 16+ age group?

message 33: by Corren (new)

Corren | 105 comments Thanks, I probably have enough with the ones on my list already LOL

message 34: by Rosemary (last edited Feb 01, 2011 11:36AM) (new)

Corren wrote: "That book is not in my guide. What is it about?"

Yes there are two different editions of the guide. The full list for the older edition is on here somewhere. The newer edition has only been published in the UK so far. I am planning to create a spreadsheet listing all the books from the different editions so people can download and keep track for themselves.

message 35: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 I finished Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War by Mark Bowden a couple of weeks ago. I'm really behind on everything because of work.

I'm not sure what I will be reading next.

message 36: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Just finished: 33 Snowfish by Adam Rapp.

Wow, I mean wow....is there much more you can say about that book?!

message 37: by Rosemary (new)

Is that wow in a good way, Trisha? ;-) (Not read that one yet)

I just finished Princess Academy, I'm trying to catch up with some of the books that the group covered before I joined. Nice story for young teen girls.

message 38: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Rosemary,
33 Snowfish is just a shocking book ~ written to really utilize that shock value. Kids on the run ~ young and abused. It's a tough ride to take.... but I was glad I read it. an interesting book at least! I can't wait to see what you think!

I am also trying to catch up on the previous books the group read! There were quite a few, weren't there?! Hopefully it won't take me too long to catch up!

Happy Reading!

message 39: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I just finished Alias Grace. I'm just a huge sucker for Margaret Atwood!

message 40: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Just finished Boy with the Striped Pajamas. I've wanted to read it for a while and loved the excuse to finally grab it. Amazing read, IMHO, and a great way to bring the story to teens. I'm passing this one on to my 12 year old daughter to see what she thinks.

message 41: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 I finished Anna Karenina a couple of weeks ago, (03/01). I must confess, I did the audio version, and am very glad I did.

I will probably start Ella Enchanted next, as it fits in with a couple of other challenges I'm working on.

I too am trying to work through those books that the group has already read, as well as keep up with the current monthly reads.

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I loathed 33 Snowfish but LOVED The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

message 43: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I didn't mind 33 Snowfish once I got over the shock value. It was nice that it was a short read tho ;)

I can't wait to read Perks of Being a Wallflower. I've seen some really great reviews of it!! But, I have quite the TBR book stack sitting next to me, so hopefully it can be in the next big stack!

message 44: by Tara (new)

Tara I am listening to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I keep looking at I Am David, but I am such a "mood" reader that I pick it up and then put it down again. I am hoping work settles down more so I have time to read my paper books more. I have gotten a lot of of the books picked for them monthly reads, it is just taking me a while to get through the books I am already reading.

message 45: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Just finished Mates, Dates and Inflatable Bras. I liked it a lot! It was cute and light and just plain funny! A great list book! (and, to be honest, it was a nice break from Anna Karenina! :D)

message 46: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Finished Smack by Melvin Burgess. I thought this was a pretty good book. A scary tour into Heroin addiction told by a group of young kids. I'm glad there are so many of the teen addiction books in the guide, but wow, are they hard to read sometimes (so very painful!)

The Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Eyre Affair (other topics)
The Book Thief (other topics)
Maus, I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (other topics)
Arabella (other topics)
Looking for Alaska (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Georgette Heyer (other topics)
J.K. Rowling (other topics)
Mark Bowden (other topics)