Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Romance/Werewolf

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gaby (new)

Gaby (magabygc) Hello!! I have been looking for a werewolf book that includes romance... If anyone has any recommendations please tell me :D

message 2: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 253 comments Hi Gaby,
Does have to be STRICTLY werewolf or any type of shifter or other paranormal people like witches, etc?? I have a few on my list that are just were I believe but I have not read all of them.....

Cheri Scotch - Hunters Moon Series (have not read)
Patricia Briggs - Mercy Thompson Series (have read this and it's good but not a TON of romance and Mercy is actually a shape changer but she was brought up by the wolves)
Patricia Briggs - Alpha & Omega Series (have only read first book, has cross over characters to her Mercy Thompson series)
Christina Dodd - Darkness Chosen (read this series and loved it but the characters are shape shifters one of whom happens to be a wolf)
Keri Arthur - Riley Jensen Series (this is one of my FAV series)
Keri Arthur - Ripple Creek Werewolf series (have not read but on my list)
Alice Borchardt - Legends of the Wolves (have not read yet but have first book in my TBR stack)
Sharie Kohler - Moon Chasers series (have not read)

Hope that helps! Maybe others can shed some light or give more suggestions!:)

message 3: by Gaby (new)

Gaby (magabygc) Wow, thanks!!! It doesn’t have to be strictly werewolf, any type of shifter is great...I just prefer the werewolves because the wolves are my favorite animals hehe xD.
I must be honest, I haven’t read anything about witches (except Harry Potter) but I guess I could try.....I just don’t know where to start. :S

PD: Sorry if my English sucks...u_u

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hey, Gaby, Patricia Briggs has a lot of fans, and I liked Christina Dodd and Alice Borchardt's books. But probably the most famous shifer romances right now are from the Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh. The first book is Slave to Sensation. It's set in an alternate world where humanity has evolved into people with mental power, like reading minds, etc. These people are on top of the world basically; they run most of the corporations, etc. They've also programmed out their emotions, so they're cold. In contrast, there are the shifters, who need family, touch, love, etc. So these two meet and you can imagine what happens. There's politics too, war and an overall plot. The series starts out with big cat shifters, but the later books also include wolf shifters, so I would definitely check them out.

message 5: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments You should really try Riley Jenson Series by Keri Arthur they are really good. Also Bitten and Stolen by Kelly Armstrong there are more in the series I just can't think of them LOL.
Also The Breed series by Lora Leigh and The Blackdagger Brotherhood by JR Ward both really good series similar and very steamy!!!
Hope this helps.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 9 comments Gaby-

Here are a few from my library:

Shiver- Maggie Stiefvater- This one is totally young adult. Lots of romance but not sex very wholesome. A completely different take on Werewolves. She presents them more like "real" wolves than any other were stories i had read.

Wolf Moon- Charles DeLint. Good fantasy book very well written lots of romance. I liked it a lot and I am usually more of an Urban Fantasy fan than true fantasy in made up worlds etc. It's a short read as well. Only 245 pages.

On the Prowl- book of short stories all werewolves. Patricia Briggs has a short story in it Alpha Omega. It's a great lead in to her Alpha Omega series about were's. I am glad I read it before the series.

Alpha Omega series as Susan suggested- Absolutely my favorite i waited with baited breath until the second book came out. I love the series and can't wait for more. Lots of romance in this one.

Last one I have: Karen MacInerney series- Tales of an Urban Werewolf. Book 1: Howling at the Moon. Book 2: Leader of the Pack. She also has a lead in short story in On the Prowl. I liked this series alot to.

That's it from me.

message 7: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) new_user knows I'm going to come in and second her Nalini Singh recommendation. We're fans. :)

Big strong alpha male leopard, jaguar & wolf shifters. Yum. :)

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini Singh Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini Singh Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling, #4) by Nalini Singh [image error] Branded by Fire (Psy-Changeling, #6) by Nalini Singh Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh

message 8: by Gaby (new)

Gaby (magabygc) Thanks to everyone!! I’m definitely going to check them all!!

message 9: by Gaby (new)

Gaby (magabygc) Dawn wrote: "Gaby-

Here are a few from my library:

Shiver- Maggie Stiefvater- This one is totally young adult. Lots of romance but not sex very wholesome. A completely different take on Werewolves. She prese..."

I’m reading Shiver right now, but as you say, totally YA. Still I’m loving it, but I feel like there is something missing….

message 10: by Barbara ★ (last edited Nov 11, 2009 07:05PM) (new)

Barbara ★ A few really good werewolf tales not mentioned yet:

Donna Lea Simpson's "Werewolf" series (Awaiting the Night, Awaiting the Fire and Awaiting the Moon

Christine Warren's "The Other" series is really good. Wolf at the Door

Kelley Armstrong "Women of the Otherworld" series is great starting with Bitten.

Eileen Wilkes "World of the Lupi" series starting with Tempting Danger.

Rebecca York's "Moon" series starting with Killing Moon.

Rhonda Thompson "Wild Wulfs of London" series starting with The Dark One.

Colleen Shannon The Wolf of Haskell Hall and The Trelayne Inheritance are both terrific.

Mandy Roth's Loup Garou.

Lucy Monroe "Children of the Moon" series starting with Moon Awakening.

Susan Krinard's "Historical Werewolf" series starting with Touch of the Wolf.

Lori Handeland's "Night Creatures" series starting with Blue Moon.

OK more than a few but that outta be enough to get you reading.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich (booknookreview) | 97 comments Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter books are mainly paranormal and aren't really werewolves...but some of those books do feature paranormal beings that can turn from humans to wolves. They are called were-hunters, and aren't strictly wolves. There are bears, leopards, wolves, etc. But the author focuses mainly on the two wolves.

It's probably not what you're looking for, but it's something to check out.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Nov 11, 2009 08:33PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2461 comments Mod
Warning about the Handeland books--the Were's in it are very definately "old school" (meaning evil, horrible, soul less, cursed, people eating demons) um, did I mention evil?

For a totally different take on Were-wolves try Howling Mad. I really did love this.

For the others--the Wulves of London were great. Really liked those. Can't say enough good things about the Riley Jensen series.

(Oh, just because the Handeland books are "traditional" evil were-wolves they are STILL a great read, so don't pass them up just because of that.)

And did anyone mention the "Kitty" Books? Kitty and the Midnight Hour

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments I'll recommend a few that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Rachel Vincent's Shifter series (UF, but with a romantic aspect)
Lori Handeland's Phoenix Chronicles (UF, different than her Nightcreatures)
Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels (UF, shifters play a big role and the romantic interest is a were-lion)
Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark (PNR, some of the books focus on werewolves)

message 14: by MsBeaglely (new)

MsBeaglely | 118 comments I love the Kitty Series & highly recommend it. Kelly Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series is great, but the werewolves are not the main characters in every book. She rotates the main character, who have different paranormal abilities. I just picked-up the most book at the library yesterday & can't wait.

Cheri Scotch's Hunters Moon series was great; however, they are out of print & you will have to buy them used. They take place in New Orleans & Voodoo plays a large part of the story.

I would also like to add Donna Boyd's The Passion & The Promise, both of which are in paperback. Excellent, excellent books. There have been rumors for years about a possible third book in the series, but nothing as of yet.

I have also heard good things about a series by Kelly Gregson Plante; however, I know for a fact that the first book in the series is very expensive. The company that prints the book, only prints it when you order it & it's not cheap. You can get used copies on Amazon, but they tend to be extremely expensive. You can get lucky. I had the book on my wishlist forever, but didn't want to spend $50.00 on the book. Finally a few months ago, someone posted a copy for only $13.00. Needless to say I snapped up that puppy real fast.

message 15: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I really like Lori Handeland's Phoenix Chronicles too, and one of the romantic interests is a wolf shifter too, so there you go, LOL.

I like Susan Krinard too, but just a warning, she writes mostly historical werewolves.

message 16: by Joseph (last edited Nov 12, 2009 06:34AM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 204 comments If you like werewolves, a must read IMO is Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series that starts with Kitty and the Midnight Hour.

You can also find werewolves in Yasmine Galenorn's Sisters of the Moon/Otherworld series that starts with Witchling and Carole Nelson Douglas's Delilah Street series that starts with Dancing With Werewolves.

As others have said, Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series has werewolves throughout, but they are the main characters primarily in Bitten, Stolen, and Frostbitten.

message 17: by Mollyscribbles (new)

Mollyscribbles | 47 comments Actually, I'll recommend against Susan Krinard; I picked up the first in the series, and seriously: Mind control is not sexy. The heroine isn't immediately thrilled upon learning the hero is a werewolf -- not recoiling in horror, but more 'Give me a minute, readjusting my worldview' -- so he uses his mental powers to make her forget about any objections she might have to the relationship, along with her job, family, and life outside of him. I found it incredibly disturbing.

Try Master of Wolves by Angela Knight; I'm a fan of books where the female wolves get an equal chance to fight and win; alpha females to go with the alpha males.

message 18: by MsBeaglely (new)

MsBeaglely | 118 comments Megan wrote: "I'll second Rachel Vincent's shifter series

Shift is coming out next y..."

Cool. I'll have to add Shift to my ever growing To-Be-Read list.

message 19: by new_user (last edited Nov 12, 2009 02:41PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Mollyscribbles wrote: "Actually, I'll recommend against Susan Krinard; I picked up the first in the series, and seriously: Mind control is not sexy. The heroine isn't immediately thrilled upon learning the hero is a wer..."

I don't think that's the first in the series, Molly. I've read the first few in her historical series, and there's no mind control.

message 20: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I don't remember any mind control either. Though Christine Feehan's Dark series features some mind control. Here series is great but vampires not werewolves.

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments I just read Burning Wild Burning Wild (Leopard People, #3) by Christine Feehan I thought it had a perfect mix of paranormal/romance/action.

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 9 comments Gaby- Too funny- That's exactly what i thought when I read Shiver. I enjoyed it but totally felt like something was missing... LOL

message 23: by Mollyscribbles (new)

Mollyscribbles | 47 comments Well, it might not be the first in the series, but Krinard's Prince of Wolves definitely had the cringeworhty plot device I described.

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hm, I might skip that one then. She's written a lot of good books though (without mind control, LOL). You might want to check her out again.

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (Vampoholic) | 122 comments patricia briggs Mercy series
Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs

message 26: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Gail Carriger's Soulless! Hot alpha, great heroine, fun steampunk elements. Very funny.

And I second Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series.

message 27: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (Vampoholic) | 122 comments This series is pretty good too. Howling at the Moon (Tales of an Urban Werewolf Series #1) by Karen MacInerney [image error] Leader of the Pack (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #3) by Karen MacInerney

message 28: by Chrissy (last edited Jul 08, 2011 07:01PM) (new)

Chrissy (padawan2003) | 6 comments Hi All.. I just finished Blood Law and The Mating

they were AWESOME Books, with Lots of Romance..

message 30: by Lisa M (last edited Jul 08, 2011 10:52PM) (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments A good new PNR series about werewolves (changelings) is Changeling, by Dani Harper:

Changeling Moon by Dani Harper Changeling Dream by Dani Harper Changeling Dawn by Dani Harper

The first two books are out now. Changeling Dawn will be out in Jan. 2012.

message 32: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 15 comments I recommend never cry wolf by cynthia eden its very good.

message 33: by Aimee (last edited Jul 09, 2011 04:47AM) (new)

Aimee Laine (aimee_laine) | 49 comments I recommend Darkness & Light : Darkness & Light (A Holloway Pack Story, #1) by J.A. Belfield The pack in that one is beyond yummy. :)

message 34: by Ladymcbeth (new)

Ladymcbeth | 53 comments have a look at my shelves, i'm kin on shape shifters especially werewolves.

but i recommend you most :
Last Wolf Standing/Last Wolf Hunting/Last Wolf Watching

message 35: by Cláudia (new)

Cláudia Fernandes | 2 comments Hi there i am new to this fantasy/paranormal reading but there is an author that was able to pull me in and keep me coming back for more...and that author is definetly Nicky Charles

her Laws of the lycan simply AWESOME!!!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND,she absorbs you into the world she created and i must say her i wasn't able to sleep before i finished them all...!!!

She has another novel Forever in time that is also about shape shifting..and it is beautifully written!!!

message 36: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 558 comments I'll check them out Claudia, thanks for the recommendation.

message 37: by Amy (last edited Oct 01, 2011 11:10AM) (new)

message 38: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 224 comments New Find! The Omegas (Vanguards, #1) by Annie Nicholas

For great shifters, including wolfs, Hunter's Moon (A Tale of the Sazi, #1) by C.T. Adams

There are weres in this great series

Sin Undone (Demonica, #5) by Larissa Ione

message 39: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 41 comments

Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1) by Cynthia Eden Midnight's Master (Midnight, #3) by Cynthia Eden Midnight Sins (Midnight, #2) by Cynthia Eden

If I remember correctly this is a werewolf series. One of my favorites. I'm actually selling it on ebay

message 40: by Sandra J (last edited Oct 08, 2011 10:30AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 408 comments Has anyone recommended Shelly Laurenston's books yet? They all involve shifters of one sort or the other. Lots of humor, action, and sex. The first one in the Magnus Pack series is Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston. The first in the Pride series is The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston.

message 41: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2461 comments Mod
And let us not forget Shelly's other series. That she publishes under yet another name Dragon Actually--G.A. Aiken is the pen name for this series. All the shifters are dragons.

message 42: by Rashaad (new)

Rashaad Bell (rashaadbell) | 19 comments Anne rice is about to publish her next book and it's a werewolf novel. She also has a really good series about witches as well

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 27 comments Rashaad, where did you find that information about the werewolf book? I love Anne Rice so I'd like to look at this one and see if it'll interest me.

message 44: by B. (new)

B. Lawson (bjanelawson) | 21 comments Sarah wrote: "Rashaad, where did you find that information about the werewolf book? I love Anne Rice so I'd like to look at this one and see if it'll interest me."

Anne Rice is publishing a werewolf novel?! Please let us know when you have details!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Slave to Sensation (other topics)
Blaze of Memory (other topics)
Caressed by Ice (other topics)
Branded by Fire (other topics)
Hostage to Pleasure (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Vincent (other topics)
Ilona Andrews (other topics)
Lori Handeland (other topics)
Kresley Cole (other topics)