The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2009-2010 > WINTER CHALLENGE 2009-2010 QUESTIONS

Comments (showing 1-22)    post a comment »
1 2 3 4 5 6 8 next »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 22: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I posted this under the individual task in the help section but I think that's the wrong spot (forgive me, I'm coming back after a little challenge hiatus...):

For 10.7 -- How specific does the TV show/connection have to be? I'm not a TV watcher, but when I do watch it's either the news or a kids' show with my son. So could I read something like Two Years, No Rain about a TV weatherman-turned kids' TV performer?

message 21: by Donna Jo (last edited Nov 11, 2009 06:38AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2894 comments Kim wrote: "For 25.2 Donna Jo's task- do the books have to contain one of each word in the phrase chosen- or can they be two books using the same word. ie- Warm Beach- could I choose 2 'beach' book titles?"

One book should have warm in the title, the other should have beach. (Sorry, Cynthia. I read Kim's message and responded, then I read yours.)

message 20: by Julie J (new)

Julie J | 119 comments Also, can I use Their Eyes Were Watching God for the Zora Neale Hurston task (10.3)? The protagonist is of mixed ancestry - although partly African American.

message 19: by Julie J (new)

Julie J | 119 comments For task 10.2 Louis, Louis - could I use a book where the son is hearing and is born of two parents who are deaf? It is ... Hands of My Father A Hearing Boy, His Deaf Parents, and the Language of Love
Thanks!

message 18: by Cynthia (last edited Nov 11, 2009 05:22AM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Kim wrote: "For 25.2 Donna Jo's task- do the books have to contain one of each word in the phrase chosen- or can they be two books using the same word. ie- Warm Beach- could I choose 2 'beach' book titles?"It needs to be one of each word

kiki wrote: "task 15.4...one of my favorite games is "Hearts" on the computer. could i read In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essexfor this task? it has the word "heart" in th...",Yes

pjreads wrote: "Since crossword puzzles are a game, then will logic puzzles work, too?"Sure

Petra wrote: "Cynthia, for Task 15.9 "Read The Book That Has Been On Your TBR Pile/Shelf The Longest", can the book be the oldest on my RL shelf or on my Goodreads TBR shelf?
I just joined GR early this year a..."
Yes either one is fine.

Kathryn wrote: "About the satire/parody question, so a parody of a book, would that work? Like there are a lot of Twilight or Harry Potter paradies. An examble isNightlight A Parody. Thanks for eve..."Yes

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments For 25.2 Donna Jo's task- do the books have to contain one of each word in the phrase chosen- or can they be two books using the same word. ie- Warm Beach- could I choose 2 'beach' book titles?

message 16: by kiki (last edited Nov 10, 2009 09:12PM) (new)

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments task 15.4...one of my favorite games is "Hearts" on the computer. could i read In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essexfor this task? it has the word "heart" in the title! :)

message 15: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Since crossword puzzles are a game, then will logic puzzles work, too?

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra Cynthia, for Task 15.9 "Read The Book That Has Been On Your TBR Pile/Shelf The Longest", can the book be the oldest on my RL shelf or on my Goodreads TBR shelf?
I just joined GR early this year and there are books years older on my RL TBR shelf than on my Goodreads shelf.

message 13: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 923 comments About the satire/parody question, so a parody of a book, would that work? Like there are a lot of Twilight or Harry Potter paradies. An examble isNightlight A Parody. Thanks for everything, Cynthia!

message 12: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 125 comments Yay!

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Kari ♪ wrote: "For 10.5. POPULARITY CONTEST – Discovering The Hot Books Of 2009….

What if you are a December baby (like me)? Do you need to wait until the end of the month to do this task? Or can you pick 2008..."
The list is not what was popular during that month of the year on GR - it's books that were published/will be published during that month - so the lists are always going to be changing so you just have to check to see if the book is on the list when you go to do the task.

Jensownzoo wrote: "Are crossword puzzles considered a "game"?"It would be a word game so yes it's fine.

message 10: by Keri ♠ (new)

Keri ♠ | 192 comments For 10.5. POPULARITY CONTEST – Discovering The Hot Books Of 2009….

What if you are a December baby (like me)? Do you need to wait until the end of the month to do this task? Or can you pick 2008? I'm going to guess wait since this is supposed to be for the end of 2009, but I just had to ask :)

Thanks!

message 9: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 125 comments Are crossword puzzles considered a "game"?

message 8: by Cynthia (last edited Nov 10, 2009 07:00PM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Amanda wrote: "Is a satire and a parody the same thing? The description of Cold Comfort Farm says it's a parody- would that count for the Black Comedy task?"Parody and satire are similar (like cousins) and this is also a satirical novel so yes it will work.

message 7: by Cynthia (last edited Nov 10, 2009 06:08PM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Amanda wrote: "For 5.4, the Decades task, does the book itself have to be award winning, or can it be the author? For example, Philip Roth won the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 2001, but for no particul..."The book would need to be something first published within that decade in that case

Angie wrote: "For 5.3 Royal Reading can I read The Devil's Queen: A Novel of Catherine De Medici ?"Yes

Amanda wrote: "For 5.3, Royal Reading, could we read a play or an epic poem? For example, Henry V by Shakespeare, or the Illiad by Homer?"Yes

Kathy wrote: "Newbie here. Hi!

For task # 15.7, could that be expanded to include nonfiction books or memoirs with recipes? I'm thinking of M.F.K. Fisher or Laurie Colwin, for example."
Those would also be acceptable yes

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie  (AngelitaBonita) | 75 comments For 5.3 Royal Reading can I read The Devil's Queen: A Novel of Catherine De Medici ?

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Amanda wrote: "For 5.3, Royal Reading, could we read a play or an epic poem? For example, Henry V by Shakespeare, or the Illiad by Homer?"

Oh! I would love to read King Lear for this task!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Newbie here. Hi!

For task # 15.7, could that be expanded to include nonfiction books or memoirs with recipes? I'm thinking of M.F.K. Fisher or Laurie Colwin, for example.

message 3: by Cynthia (last edited Nov 10, 2009 05:39PM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Amy wrote: "For task 5.1 (Disney), does the book have to directly relate to our favorite Disney movie? For example, my favorite is The Little Mermaid, so do I have to read a book about the Disney version, or c..."The relation doesn't have to be exact so yes a book about mermaids/sea life is fine - just explain the connection when you post the points. That's my favorite too.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) For task 5.1 (Disney), does the book have to directly relate to our favorite Disney movie? For example, my favorite is The Little Mermaid, so do I have to read a book about the Disney version, or can I read a book about mermaids, sea life, etc?

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments If you have a question or need clarification about a task for this particular challenge please post it here.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 next »
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cold Comfort Farm (other topics)
Nightlight: A Parody (other topics)
In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex (other topics)
Hands of My Father: A Hearing Boy, His Deaf Parents, and the Language of Love (other topics)
Their Eyes Were Watching God (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jeanne Kalogridis (other topics)
Dennis A. Williams (other topics)
John A. Williams (other topics)
C.J. Cherryh (other topics)
Gail Collins (other topics)
More...