Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Any Ideas or Recommendations?

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Reaganstar (StarShadow) I have just gotten back to reading and have found I enjoy Paranormal Romance as well as Urban and Dark Fantasy/YA books of the same nature.

If anyone has any recommendations or thoughts about great books, authors or series, that I should check out please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2416 comments Mod
(ducking to avoid the barrage of suggestions about to land on poor Reaganstar's head)

Well, a few ideas--and I'm sure that as soon as the rest of the group sees this you'll be getting a lot more.

Marjorie M. Liu's Dirk & Steele books
Sherrilyn Kenyon's books

Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs

Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs (warning, this series actually STARTS with a short story, which you will want to read. Briggs offers it on her website.)

Maria V. Snyder's "Study" series and her "Glass" series. (ok, ok, I admit it--I'm a pusher of Maria's work, ever since her very first book,
Poison Study)

Michelle Rowen's "Fanged" series (all the titles have FANG in them)

While I myself do not like them, a number of the members of our little book club love the Black Dagger Brotherhood books.
Dark Lover is the first one

For UF, go for Tanya Huff's books. Especially her Vickie Nelson series (was a brief series on TV that I believe they called Blood Ties) and her Tony Foster books--altho read the Vickie books first, as Tony was a spin off. Also, her Keeper series Summon the Keeper which are much more light hearted.

Julie Kenner's Carpe Demon series is funny.

Angela Knight writes good books.

Well, there are lots and lots more--but that will do to start you with.

Emma (emmauk007) An author that cmae highly recommended and was on my "to read list" was Sherilyn Kenyon, but It just goes to show you that everyone's tastes in books is different.Her first book I tried was " Fantasy Lover" The story was absolutely ridiculous. You have a so called sex therapist who plays the lead character and she guess what "hasnt had sex for 4 yrs!! and has never had a satisfying sexual experience...I think if she were my therapist I would want my money back. Her best friend just happens to know ancient greek. It was so far fetched It was embarassing. I hoped this would be the beginning of a series I would read, Id rathers tick with the likes of Charlaine Harris, Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb, Janet Evanovich, and Diana Gabaldon. I recommend skipping Kenyon and trying one of these excellent writers. and before anyone jumps on me, I did actually try the second book which was just as cringeworthy. I cannot for the life of me understand why her books are so highly rated! I could actually feel my IQ evaporating as I read this book. Save your money and your time, maybe go watch the grass grow or paint dry, something more worthwhile than this rubbish.

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments I highly recommend the author Karen Marie Moning. She has a fun and sweet paranormal romance series involving time travel and hot Scottish men. And her Fever series is awesome urban fantasy. Characters from the last few books of her Highlander Saga show up in her Fever series. I can't recommend them enough, especially her Fever series.

message 5: by Tina (last edited Nov 10, 2009 08:05AM) (new)

Tina | 130 comments Here's a few Urban Fantasy/Paranormal books I've really really enjoyed:

My new favorite vampire series is by Chloe Neill Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill

Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost

Richelle Mead's Dark Swan series Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2) by Richelle Mead
Any of Richelle Mead's books are awesome.

Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega series Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs

YA series':

Kelley Armstrongs Darkest Powers The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong

Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)  by Richelle Mead Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)  by Richelle Mead [image error]

message 6: by Gemma (last edited Nov 10, 2009 08:21AM) (new)

Gemma (BookMoodReviews) | 510 comments I've just finished these two books from the same series and I have to say they are great. They are very much more UF than PNR, but really good books!!

Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1) by M.L.N. Hanover Darker Angels (The Black Sun's Daughter, #2) by M.L.N. Hanover

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments I gave you some YA suggestions in another thread, so for some straight PNR and UF that haven't already been recommended:

Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels
Adrian Phoenix's Maker's Song
Richelle Mead's Georgina Kinkaid
Rachel Vincent's Shifters
Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld
Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark
Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed
Amy Lane's Little Goddess

And personally, I love J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood and Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters (just skip Fantasy Lover). =)

Tina | 130 comments Looking at Darkheart's list ... I forgot to add Rachel Vincent's Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Rogue (Shifters, #2) by Rachel Vincent Pride (Shifters, #3) by Rachel Vincent Prey (Shifters, #4) by Rachel Vincent. I really enjoyed it!

Heather B (HeatherBenson) Here are some that I really enjoyed and would definetly recommend:

1) Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)  by Richelle Mead Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)  by Richelle Mead [image error]
2) City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare
3) A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2) by Libba Bray The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3) by Libba Bray
4) [image error] [image error]
5) Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2) by Melissa de la Cruz Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3) by Melissa de la Cruz The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4) by Melissa de la Cruz
6) Kiss Me Kill Me by Lauren Henderson Kisses and Lies by Lauren Henderson
7) Need (Need, #1) by Carrie Jones
8) The Devouring by Simon Holt [image error]
9) Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
10) Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2) by Melissa Marr Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) by Melissa Marr

These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. They're not in any order.

Louise | 6 comments Reaganstar wrote: "I have just gotten back to reading and have found I enjoy Paranormal Romance as well as Urban and Dark Fantasy/YA books of the same nature.

If anyone has any recommendations or thoughts about g..."

Vampire Academy series- Richelle Mead
Night Huntress series
Immortal instruments

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Poison Study (other topics)
Carpe Demon (other topics)
Summon the Keeper (other topics)
Dark Lover (other topics)
City of Bones (other topics)
More...