Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

2010 Archive > Hello everyone, and thank you for joining!

Comments (showing 201-250 of 356) (356 new)    post a comment »

Kelly Lolita wrote: "if i can stop reading other peoples posts and just stick to my own tbr pile, it might help!!! "

LOL Lolita, I have the same problem. I am forever adding books. There's almost like a "grass is greener" effect of seeing what other people are reading, isn't there?!? I have 200 books on my shelves at home, but I'm not reading them because I always want something I don't already have haha.

What kind of plans do you make? Do you make a list for each coming month of what you're going to read?

Afsana (afsanaz) Lolita wrote: "Crystal wrote: "Thank you for joining everyone! You are probably all wondering, why 144? I was thinking there are usually groups for 50, 75, 100, 150, 200 books a year. And I didn't want to have th..."

O ma spending way too muc time doing the same-cutting into my reading time -on my 10th book this month- I was hoping to average a 12 to keep in line with next yrs challenge!!

Lolita (lillo) Afsana wrote: "Lolita wrote: "Crystal wrote: "Thank you for joining everyone! You are probably all wondering, why 144? I was thinking there are usually groups for 50, 75, 100, 150, 200 books a year. And I didn't ..."

the year isnt over!! just keep reading...... and eating and breathing but nothing else

Afsana (afsanaz) Lolita wrote: "Afsana wrote: "Lolita wrote: "Crystal wrote: "Thank you for joining everyone! You are probably all wondering, why 144? I was thinking there are usually groups for 50, 75, 100, 150, 200 books a year..."

thanks

I seem to be slowing down

I had 18 in sept, 12 in october and 10 now (may hit 11)

I started new job september and more am working tirder i am getting and GR takes up time and applying for permanant job as am a tmp

Lolita (lillo) Kelly R wrote: "Lolita wrote: "if i can stop reading other peoples posts and just stick to my own tbr pile, it might help!!! "

LOL Lolita, I have the same problem. I am forever adding books. There's almost li..."

i dont make reading plans. even when im in groups thst do set scheduled reads i find i either read the book before they do, or after. maybe because im a rebel or maybe because i really cant stop adding books to my list.

i have the set list for this group - but i might sway away from the list, most likely,because i will get tired of reading the same thing over and over. Ill throw in a classic, or a chick lit or something in between.
My goal is to read 80 like i did this year and if i can beat it.. yippee for me :d

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 400 comments hey, you KNOW God won't let you die before you've read everything in your TBR pile, right? I saw that on a bumper sticker at my local library. If I'd known who the car belonged to, I'd have asked where they got the sticker. The words were made of stacks of books, there were more stacks all around the outside of the book and a little cartoon character sitting sprawled in a chair with crooked glasses. It was the cutest bumpersticker I'd seen in a very long time.

message 207: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) AWE I WANT ONE.

Afsana (afsanaz) Ann wrote: "hey, you KNOW God won't let you die before you've read everything in your TBR pile, right? I saw that on a bumper sticker at my local library. If I'd known who the car belonged to, I'd have asked..."

I want one too

If you find out where post it to us all!!!LOL

Lolita (lillo) Afsana wrote: "Ann wrote: "hey, you KNOW God won't let you die before you've read everything in your TBR pile, right? I saw that on a bumper sticker at my local library. If I'd known who the car belonged to, I'..."

hahahahahaha
i LOVE IT!!
here is a picture of my latest tattoo
Photobucket

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 247 comments That is an awesome tattoo!! Are you going to keep adding books?

Kelly A (Kander33) Lolita, I just love that tattoo. I am totally going to steal your idea for my next one!!! Isn't copying the sincerest form of flattery? LOL =)

Mackenzie | 88 comments Awh, that's an awesome tattoo Lolita! :)

Kelly Ann wrote: "hey, you KNOW God won't let you die before you've read everything in your TBR pile, right? I saw that on a bumper sticker at my local library. If I'd known who the car belonged to, I'd have asked..."

that is awesome!!!

Kelly Lolita wrote: "Afsana wrote: "Ann wrote: "hey, you KNOW God won't let you die before you've read everything in your TBR pile, right? I saw that on a bumper sticker at my local library. If I'd known who the car ..."

Such a cute tattoo Lolita!

message 215: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) WOW THAT IS GORGEOUS WISH I HAD THE NERVE TO GET SOMETHING LIKE THAT. BUT IF I EVER DO NOW I AM DEF GOING TO MAKE IT ABOUT BOOKS.

Leana (craftychick) | 38 comments Love the tat! That puts my mine to shame :D. I just have a stupid flower and then a bird :D. I love mine, but that is freakin cute! I so need that bumper sticker too!!!!

Lolita (lillo) Kelly A wrote: "Lolita, I just love that tattoo. I am totally going to steal your idea for my next one!!! Isn't copying the sincerest form of flattery? LOL =)"

well ill let you copy- just this once. i got the idea off of the internet and we changed it up a bit.
it hurt so bad the next day i thought i was actually going to be sick (pukey).
Never have i had a tattoo that hurt as much. This was my 5th.

and my 3rd favourite. it was about me this time. (the other 2 i got for other people who mean the world to me)

Lolita (lillo) Leana wrote: "Love the tat! That puts my mine to shame :D. I just have a stupid flower and then a bird :D. I love mine, but that is freakin cute! I so need that bumper sticker too!!!!"

i have my brothers name, my nickname (lolita) a lizard, and a butterfly with hidden eyes on my back.
each one represents something to me, a stage in my life.
the book tattoo is on my shin and when i wear socks the ladders and clouds look like their coming out of my socks!

message 219: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) SO CUTE.

Leana (craftychick) | 38 comments Lolita wrote: "Leana wrote: "Love the tat! That puts my mine to shame :D. I just have a stupid flower and then a bird :D. I love mine, but that is freakin cute! I so need that bumper sticker too!!!!"

i have my..."

I love that! My flower was just because I was young and wanted a tattoo but didn't know what I wanted. My bird was a present to myself. But I got it just because I love birds. A friend of mine designed it for me. I love it!

message 221: by Afsana (last edited Nov 27, 2009 12:43PM) (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) Lolita wrote: "Leana wrote: "Love the tat! That puts my mine to shame :D. I just have a stupid flower and then a bird :D. I love mine, but that is freakin cute! I so need that bumper sticker too!!!!"

i have my..."

I like the tattoo-to chicken to gt one can't deal with pain (thats why I will never go through childbirth again (unless they can teleport baby out) .

It was on the chin so thats prob why it hurt sooo much..

For us chickens it would make a lovely colourfool bookmark!!

maybe you should make some and lamanate and post it to us all!!!

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Loved that tattoo. I have 2. A black widow spider on my leg and a Guardian Angel on my back shoulder.

Lolita (lillo) Afsana wrote: "Lolita wrote: "Leana wrote: "Love the tat! That puts my mine to shame :D. I just have a stupid flower and then a bird :D. I love mine, but that is freakin cute! I so need that bumper sticker too!!!..."

ill see what i can do ;0
i have the tattoo in black and white pencil drawing and then my artist coloured it. and added the girl. there was a boy on it.
ill see if i can find it and send a link to to you all

Ellie (Ellie1) | 2 comments Yes! I usually read around 8 a month, around 90 a year. But with goodreads and this cool book club, I really cant wait to start!

message 225: by [deleted user] (new)

This is going to be a HUGE challenge for me since as of November I am sitting at 50 books! and with school starting in January it will might be tough just to read 50 books...

Again, Crystal thanks for the invite! I look forward to the challenge! :o!

Renee | 49 comments Thanks for the invite Crystal! Having never really tracked how many books I've read in a year it will be interesting to see how I do on this challenge. I estimate I average about 100 books a year (give or take my schedule). I finally figured out how to post a folder to log my books (did it in the wrong place the 1st time--oops). I am very excited to begin. =>

Melanie (mcipher) Lolita wrote: "Afsana wrote: "Ann wrote: "hey, you KNOW God won't let you die before you've read everything in your TBR pile, right? I saw that on a bumper sticker at my local library. If I'd known who the car ..."

LOVE it, great colors!! I can't wait to get my next one, I'm planning on an owl this time... Maybe I'll add a book now? LOL
I'm glad I won't die til I finish my TBR, it's one of my fears. I think I posted something about it on here before...

Renee | 49 comments Lisa wrote: "I don't really remember what age I started reading but I know I have loved reading for as long as I can remember. Unfortunatly I'm the only one in my family that reads. I was hoping my kids would i..."

I have the same thing happening in my house. I would sit under our porch steps (not into sun worship) as a kid w/ a book and a dictionary. Yea, geek written all over me back then. haha I'm the only reader in my house too. My oldest reads but not novels, mainly mags and info/history/military stuff (he is very smart and just absorbes everything he reads). My husband has learned to adjust to my obsession (it's taken over 22 yrs to do it though). I now own multiple book lights as I have been known to stay up til 4am to finish a book. We have made it work by him tickin' me off and my retreating to the bedroom w/ my books--life is good! :-} Good luck w/ our challenge, I'm going to do my best to finish it

Kelly A (Kander33) Lolita wrote: "Kelly A wrote: "Lolita, I just love that tattoo. I am totally going to steal your idea for my next one!!! Isn't copying the sincerest form of flattery? LOL =)"

well ill let you copy- just this o..."

I don't think I could ever get it done on the shin, that is just beyond my pain tolerance. =) You go girl! I was thinking about copying your idea, but def putting my own flare on it, thank you so much for sharing. I totally had that "ah ha" moment when I saw your picture. And I thought I was done with tattoo's, I already have 7, YIKES!!!

Afsana (afsanaz) want to ask quick question on what other peoples opinions are on this as I know how we count the our books is to individual choice

If you have say a book that is the complete works of..(e.g Jane Austin) so has a lot of complete stories (not short stories) that have been published individually will you count each story as one book or the whole thing?

I can appreciate that books that are made up of short stories and that is what the book is should be counted as one as that is what it is a book of short stories but for grouped books what is your opinion?

Laurie (Ardelia27) | 21 comments If it was a complete works like you mentioned first, Afsana, I would count the individual books as a book each. Just my opinion. :)

Mackenzie | 88 comments I agree with Laurie. :) It makes sense that they would be counted as individual books.

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 400 comments individual books. Definately. After all--you ARE reading all of her books, so it only makes sense. Er, now a question--where did you find a book with all of her stories put together? And how many PAGES does it have? Inquiring minds (not to mention nosey people) want to know. :oP

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 247 comments That does make sense with what Afsana is talking about. But I don't think it would count with all the anthology books that are out there. If you read paranormal or urban fantasy these are big right now, where a bunch of the hot authors will write short stories often with a common theme to connect them. These are meant to be short stories, and are not usually published anywhere else or in any other types of format.

message 235: by Afsana (last edited Dec 06, 2009 10:25AM) (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) Darcy wrote: "That does make sense with what Afsana is talking about. But I don't think it would count with all the anthology books that are out there. If you read paranormal or urban fantasy these are big rig..."

That was what I meant by the short stories in a book.

i am glad that all seem to be in agreement.

I bought the complete works of Jane austin I think it was from waterstones (this isn the uk) but have also seen it in wh smith, amazon

its by penguin but I believe wordworth also do it

it has 1344 pages

try this link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Nove...

message 236: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Dec 06, 2009 10:34AM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 400 comments Afsana--thanks for the link. I went to Amazon.com (u.s.) and ordered a copy used. I LOVED Austen. She really IS universal, since her stories can be reset with very little trouble into any era (Clueless is a great example) and still be just as funny and appealing.

Oh, btw, I've mentioned this group on another of my GR lists--so we might be getting a slight influx of new members.

Afsana (afsanaz) Ann wrote: "Afsana--thanks for the link. I went to Amazon.com (u.s.) and ordered a copy used. I LOVED Austen. She really IS universal, since her stories can be reset with very little trouble into any era (C..."

go ann

did you just order it or you had ordered it before?

I was looking at charles dickns out fo curiosity to see if he had one burt though they say complete worksd it isn't really!!

Rachel I would have said what the original publication was - individual novels were published independently, thus count them each as one. But if a short story was originally published with a group of short stories from that author, count the collection as one. The anthologies would give me some trouble, though...I would be tempted to count each SS individually since they were published separate from one another.

But really, it's up to the individual. Whatever your conscience leads you to! lol

message 239: by Leana (last edited Dec 06, 2009 11:43AM) (new)

Leana (craftychick) | 38 comments Darcy wrote: "That does make sense with what Afsana is talking about. But I don't think it would count with all the anthology books that are out there. If you read paranormal or urban fantasy these are big rig..."

I actually have the book that Afsana is referring to. I got it at Barnes and Noble for only like $10. It has like 8 or 9 Jane Austen books. Not sure on the number of pages. But I would always count it as more than one book when reading it. The only time I would only count 1 would be if I only read 1 of the books inside it.

An anthology is something completely different. That is when the stories inside are only like 40 pages a piece and never were intended to be a stand alone novel.

Another thing that is getting really popular with YA series is that publishers will combine 2 or more books into 1 book. Again, if it started out as more than 1 book and you read all of them, count it as how ever many seperate books you read and not just 1 because it may happen to be bound together in one book. The Vampire Diaries series is an example of this. There are a few others too that I have seen.

Hope this helps!

Afsana (afsanaz) Great

That is what I thought as well .

It will also help in my classic challenge as am lookng to read persuasion and mansfield park but part of same novel but if seperate can count as 2 as part of 144 books and my classic reads aswell

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 400 comments Afsana--have you seen the BBC version of Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciarán Hinds starring in it? That's my favourite of them. I've seen it where the copy was almost worn out, jumpy and grainy. And then I saw it again with a better picture. But I thought that the casting of that version was really good. The actors actually looked like I thought they should have. Not too pretty, not too ugly, just kind of "normal" ya know? Hollywood has a tendency to put in "pretty" and skip out on talent sometimes. While BBC has a tendency to do the OPPOSITE (all talent and zero looks.)

Leana (craftychick) | 38 comments Ann wrote: "Afsana--have you seen the BBC version of Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciarán Hinds starring in it? That's my favourite of them. I've seen it where the copy was almost worn out, jumpy and grain..."

I so will have to find this Ann! I love Persuasion! I have never seen this version so now it is a requirement :D. I do have to say that although I agree with you on the difference of casting from Hollywood to the BBC, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Pride and Prejudice version with Kira Knightly. Although it is pretty much filled with pretty people, I think it was cast also with talent! I heart that movie so much, I can't even tell you how much :D. Although I probably made it pretty clear here!

Do you know if you can buy that version of Persuasion? I was going to try and maybe find it on Amazon. Thanks :D

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 400 comments The version that I liked is http://www.amazon.com/Persuasion-Aman... AND its only $8.49 on Amazon right now. Yay, sales. :o) But I do have it myself already. As I said--I LOVED this version.

And Um, ok, I admit it--I have THREE versions of Pride and Prejudice. And I'm thinking about getting the 4th. Sigh, hubby just doesn't understand, but hey--he puts up with it anyway. :o)

Leana (craftychick) | 38 comments He he he! Husbands never do get it :D. My husband calls me a book nerd and it is truely fitting!

Thank you! I am so going to buy it right now and tell my hubby its from him so he can put it in my stocking!!!

Afsana (afsanaz) Ann wrote: "Afsana--have you seen the BBC version of Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciarán Hinds starring in it? That's my favourite of them. I've seen it where the copy was almost worn out, jumpy and grain..."

no I haven't but maybe I will look into it

message 246: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Dec 07, 2009 12:40PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 400 comments the version of P&P that I liked the least was the "classic" (i.e. b&w) version. But part of that was my being nit-picky about the fact that the idiots in Hollywood dressed the characters in hoop skirts from 1840-ish to 1861-ish. But they were STILL talking about the same historical events as Jane did. Sigh, ok, ok, sue me, but it just seems to me that if you are going to do a period piece and LEAVE it period (not translate it to another time like they did with Clueless etc.) then you should make sure that the cast is dressed correctly. (grumble, grumble, grumble) Sigh, can anyone guess what I used to do? (and if you guessed costuming, you may reward yourself with a nice piece of chocolate to snack on while you read.) ;o)

Leana (craftychick) | 38 comments Oh, sweet! I was already enjoying my favorite candy bar, a Milky Way Midnight! :D. They are so yummy!

I can totally get what you are saying. But I can also admit that I am a sucker for the hoop skirts and elaborate costumes! So I love seeing them in anything just for the fact that they are so gorgeous. But I love any period movies, for the most part! I loved The Douchess, Vanity Fair with Reese Witherspoon, Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst - even though it isn't a traditional period film. But my list goes on and on! I am a sucker for them so even when the costumes may be wrong, I still love them :D

Rachel Leana wrote: "Oh, sweet! I was already enjoying my favorite candy bar, a Milky Way Midnight! :D. They are so yummy!

I can totally get what you are saying. But I can also admit that I am a sucker for the hoop ..."

But to be fair, Marie Antoinette was meant to be a rock & roll attitude interpretation of the history. The edgy liberties taken were intentional. I don't get that feeling from the b/w P&P. I didn't like that version not from the costume standpoint (sorry, Ann, though I do agree now!) but because they changed characters and plot so much, mainly at the end.

Leana (craftychick) | 38 comments Marie Antoinette was also very focussed on the visionary aspect of the movie. Color played a huge part of the movie to convey certain moods and situations that were going on. I think the movie is as visually stunning as I loved the dialogue as well!

I think that it may be because I grew up on Disney where everything gets changed from the original version into what Disney wanted it to be, but I really don't mind on older movies when the story gets changed so much. It was - just as Ann was saying - how Hollywood did things, and still continues to do them to this day. Although a lot more, you seem to get producers that are trying to tell the story as it may have originally been written, at least how they interpret it.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) I am so excited about this. It is my first reading challenge for myself and being out of college I will hopefully have more time to read. So we will see how many I can actually read in a year! I bet 144 is pushing it but I'm not scared, if I fail... I fail. At least I had fun reading!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Beast Master (other topics)
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (other topics)
Moon of Three Rings (other topics)
Gap Creek (other topics)
Sula (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Janet Evanovich (other topics)
Andre Norton (other topics)