Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Individual Book Discussions > Harry Potter or Twilight???

Comments (showing 401-450 of 1,081) (1081 new)    post a comment »

Stray (andrez-ssi) | 978 comments lol

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments I'm going to read it...cuz I love mangas and they're similar. This will be the first graphic novel I'll ever have read

And I don' think they look anything like the actors from the movies. Especially Jacob.

Diana (dianatheawesome) | 1886 comments Bella and Edward like the movie versions. Jacob doesn't though.

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments Yeah... except for this Bella actually looks like a regular person and not one that's been strung out on drugs for the last 5 years

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments Jillian: I COMPLETELY agree that it is just a way to make more money. It's the one reason I'm irritated they're making Harry Potter 7 into 2 movies.... It'll make the franchise more money, and they know it. It's sad.

I'm going to be honest about the character images... They look a lot like fan art. Like something a Edward- or Jacob-obsessed fangirl would draw in her notebook during math class. I'm not impressed.

message 406: by *Queen Diva* (last edited Mar 10, 2010 03:24PM) (new)

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments Well, its actually becoming quite popular for popular books to be turned into graphic novels right now because graphic novels are really in. I, for one, like reading books with the graphics cuz the graphics really enhance the story. I'll probably enjoy the Twilight graphic novels way more than the books

I read the available mangas of Cirque du Freak and I really liked them but I didn't care much for the book.

And I think the art for the Twilight GN is really beautiful! Whoever the artist is is very talented! I know the general consensus is no one cares, but here is a page. The shading is beautiful!

http://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/...

Lauren (djinni) ~*Lady Ryoko*~ (Teresa) wrote: "Well, its actually becoming quite popular for popular books to be turned into graphic novels right now because graphic novels are really in. I, for one, like reading books with the graphics cuz the..."

I think their eyes are too small. I like Japanese style manga better. And Edward still looks like a creep.

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments I've heard of it, but never read it!

If Kazuya Minekura had done a manga adaptation of Twilight the boys would have been sooooooooooo hot! haha... ah, but Saiyuki is a series many haven't heard of :-(

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments Ooh, the library in my area has The Wallflower! I'll add it to my list!!

If you ever get the chance to read more Saiyuki, you definitely should! Her art got even better! I've read the series a number of times, and every time I start over, I'm always like "WEE! THEY LOOK SO LITTLE!!" because, they are so much older (and sexier) looking as the manga goes on. But yes, Minekura-sensei is an AMAZING manga-ka! Her artwork blows me away!

And I didn't know that about the Japanese edition, and I'm not surprised! I should see if our library has the Japanese edition, they have the Chinese one I know!

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments I googled "twilight Japanese illustrations" and Jacob is sexy! Haha! Edward kind of reminds me of Ichigo from Bleach

I agree, a manga version would have been better (but... I'd generally agree about that with any book made into a graphic novel ^_^)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2435 comments This? Is completely real and scares me...

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments I agree.... Wow.... Weird....

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments What is it? A comic book and/or graphic novel about Stephenie Meyer? Why is it scary?

message 414: by *Queen Diva* (last edited Mar 10, 2010 08:17PM) (new)

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments Haha! I have the first four books of Bleach, I haven't read them yet, but I hear its pretty awesome! I saw a few episodes of the anime and it seemed interesting. And the guy who plays Ichigo's English voice (Johnny Yong Bosch) plays Vash's voice in Trigun so I was all *swoon* HAHA!

(I love how this has become a discussion about manga XD)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2435 comments I feel so left out. I don't read Manga. If you need me, I'll be in the corner, muttering about how stupid Edward is.

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments haha awww, its okay Jordan, we love you anyway!

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments I know!!!! I love JYB!!!!!!!!!!! (haha I'm getting lazy)

now I'm done...hopefully :-p

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2435 comments Jillian wrote: "Aww. What do you want to talk about? :( "

Urm...I don't know.

Carry on. :)

message 419: by Taylor (last edited Mar 10, 2010 09:08PM) (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments I don't read manga either, Jordan... I avoid it only because I had a group of anime and manga OBSESSED friends in middle school. And I'm talking Naruto headbands worn at school and jealousy over the fact that so-and-so had a metal one while the ones they had were plastic. And fights over who got the next Fruit's Basket when it was back in the library. I could go on.

I still have friends who read manga, so I respect it, but I won't read it.

Anyways.... What would happen if they made a Harry Potter manga? (That one I would probably read.)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments Heehee, I would read it only because it was Harry Potter. And I'm that big of a fan. As soon as JKR's story about James and Sirius was online, I had the link emailed to all of my friends. I've read it a bunch since.

I really need to get copies of Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them..... I can just never find them.

message 421: by Taylor (last edited Mar 10, 2010 10:26PM) (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments Here you go. It's pretty good. Short, but good. She wrote it for charity. There was a really cool version online when it was first released that was in JKR's handwriting, but I'll be darned if I can find it again.

I will find them once in a blue moon, but it's always when I don't have book money with me. :(

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments You're welcome! And Planet Mugglenet is where I originally found that.... A really long time ago, but they have nearly EVERYTHING about the Potter World.

message 423: by Jade (new)

Jade | 45 comments OMG theres a lot of speeches lol!
i would rather twilight soz to all harry potter fans

message 424: by Jade (new)

Jade | 45 comments i still love harry potter though don't get me wrong!

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments You would rather Twilight what to all Harry Potter fans? I don't get what "soz" means.

message 426: by *Queen Diva* (last edited Mar 11, 2010 06:49AM) (new)

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments I think she'd rather have a Twilight manga over a Harry Potter manga and soz is sorries (would be my guess)

I would pee my pants if there was a Harry Potter manga!! And I think it'd be awesome if Natsuki Takaya did it! Haha! Or if Ken Akamatsu did it, it'd be so cute!

And those girls give manga fans a bad name >_< I know so many people who refuse to read manga because of those crazy nutters. I read manga, I own manga merchandise, and I totally write fan fic (though most of its Saiyuki fan fic... haha, cuz it's my favorite!) but I can't imagine getting mad at people for such silly things. Though, I guess it IS high school (no disrespect to you high schoolers) and I remember when I was in high school everyone was always mad at someone else for something stupid. But the point is, some manga is really good and I wish people wouldn't just write it all off as stupid because of people like those girls.

But yes, I would love an HP manga and/or graphic novel!.... well, maybe, haha I kind of love Dan Radcliffe as Harry so, Harry would HAVE to look like DR or I'd be sad. haha

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments Heehee, I'm a high schooler and I completely agree with everything you said about high school; most of the fights we have are freshman girls fighting over boys. I don't write it off as stupid, but I have unfortunately set it in my "annoying" category because of those people.

Dan would definitely have to be the inspiration for the manga character (I dunno if there is a specific name for that), but I wouldn't mind if they made his eyes green so it was slightly more true to the book.

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2435 comments The only Manga I've ever read was The Legend of Zelda. It's my brother's; he made me read it. Hated it.

I've never heard of the JKR story either...off to read it...

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments I didn't know they made a Zelda manga! Haha...where have I been?

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2435 comments Under a rock? I don't know. :)

I read the HP story...want more! Especially cause they obviously broke the rules...

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments haha under a rock is pretty much right...all I've been doing is playing Wizard101 and working.

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2435 comments Yeah, so...Zelda Manga...this is the one my brother made me read.
The Legend of Zelda, Volume 1: Ocarina of Time - Part 1

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments Yeah... the whole girls with no clothes and big boobs thing comes along with the Japanese literature territory though (unfortunately). I love Negima! Though, I've only read a handful of the volumes. I'm waiting til the series is finished to keep reading it! I hate having to wait a hundred years for the next volume XD that's what I'm doing right now waiting for Saiyuki Reload volume 10...and I'm going crazy waiting!!

Annie (AnnieIsCool13) | 562 comments I play Wizard 101 too!! I love that game!

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments Really Annie!!!! OMG its so addicting! Its so much fun! I have three different students, each studying different schools of magic. And it's pretty much all I've been doing lately (haha yeah, I need a life)

I know what you mean Jillian! Bleach and One Piece are both at a huge amount of volumes!!

My favorites are Saiyuki, Saiyuki Reload, and Fruits Basket. But I've read Death Note, Model (Korean manga!), Trigun (anime was way better), Chobits and Paradise Kiss. I have Negima!, Bleach, Ai Yori Aoshi, No Need for Tenchi, Tarot Cafe (another Korean one) and D. Gray Man to read. And a ton of others I want to read too! Haha, I need to read more and get off Wizard101 ;-)

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments Haha!! It's so refreshing to talk to someone who knows what I'm talking about :-) (when it comes to manga) I have enjoyed this!

adris (adristl) I'm not a big manga fan. But if there was one I wanted to check out what should I look for?

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments Depends on what you're into.... what kind of stories do you like to read? Jillian has read quite the array so I bet she'd have some good recommendations

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments And I wouldn't recommend Death Note! haha... but like both Jillian and I have said, just depends on what you like to read. Death Note, in my opinion, was okay up until volume 7. Then it just dragged on and was annoying (Jillian will know why! haha) But it is a very popular series and most people loved it!

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I can't even tell you how happy I was with the ending! I literally got up and jumped around the room screaming yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahaha! It was so satisfying because in my review for volume 11, I wrote the best ending for me was the exact ending that occured, so I was so happy!

I gave books 1-7 three stars, book 8 through 11 2 stars, and the last book 4 stars! Haha!!

And dude, L totally owned that serious!

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments No I haven't, but one of my best friends has them both and when I hang out with her next, we're planning to watch them!! (we live about two and a half hours away...which is why I haven't seen them yet :-p I don't get to see her often :-( but... anyway) I haven't seen the anime yet either.

message 442: by Karin (last edited Mar 17, 2010 03:13PM) (new)

Karin Harry Potter all the way! everything about them is better!

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments *high-fives Karin*

Even the movies are better.

message 444: by Karin (last edited Mar 17, 2010 03:50PM) (new)

Karin LOL! *high tens taylor*

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) Taylor wrote: "*high-fives Karin*

Even the movies are better."

well, if we're just going on the movies...

I have to say, I think if I was given a choice between the two, like taking one series on a carride or something (and there was no PERCY JACKSON to choose from), I'd pick HP.

If I was having a lunch-date with either author, I'd pick Mrs. Meyer ANY DAY. Stephenie seems like a genuinely kind person. JK seems like the kind who'd flip you off in traffic...I wouldn't wanna make her mad, no way!

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments I'd pick Rowling any day.... I've never heard anything bad about her during interviews or anything. Plus, I'd probably be having lunch with an author to geek out over books and ask for writing tips... Again, I'd pick Rowling. I'd rather chat with her about her books and ask her for writing tips. But that's just me.

I can see where you're coming from on that front, though, Amelia.

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2435 comments I agree with Taylor...J.K Rowling seems very likeable. She gave a speech at a Harvard graduation ceremony. It's online (though I don't remember where), and I liked much of what she said.

message 448: by Taylor (last edited Mar 17, 2010 10:34PM) (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4581 comments I have a quote from that speech that I really like (there are loads of them in the quotes section):

"This liberating discovery enables me to proceed without any fear that I might inadvertently influence you to abandon promising careers in business, law or politics for the giddy delights of becoming a gay wizard."

It's just amusing.... I can imagine all the Potter fans dying with laughter, and anyone else just laughing politely because their classmates were.

I love others from JKR, too, that aren't in the books:

"I don t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."

"We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better."

*Queen Diva* (TeresaG) | 350 comments Taylor wrote: "This liberating discovery enables me to proceed without any fear that I might inadvertently influence you to abandon promising careers in business, law or politics for the giddy delights of becoming a gay wizard."

LOOOOL!! That is the greatest quote ever!!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) Jordan wrote: "I agree with Taylor...J.K Rowling seems very likeable. She gave a speech at a Harvard graduation ceremony. It's online (though I don't remember where), and I liked much of what she said."

Lol, you two can eat with JK then. Me and Stephenie can go hang out :) The last 2 interviews of JK's that i read/saw...did not impress me :D

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Animal Farm (other topics)
The Faerie Path (other topics)
Wicked Lovely (other topics)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Part 1 (other topics)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)
J.K. Rowling (other topics)