The Next Best Book Club discussion

Personal Reading Goals > rytr_1's Reading... Right?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 148) (148 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by rytr_1 (last edited Nov 11, 2009 05:09PM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments Hi there! I have been keeping track of the books I've read since mid-July of this year. My current goal is to have a list of 50 books read by the end of 2009. My reading log is currently at home and I am not, so I'll have to post the current list tomorrow or this weekend, but I'm nearing the end of the 35th book, which is Personal Days by Ed Park.

I'll probably set a goal of 100 books for 2010.

message 2: by rytr_1 (last edited Nov 09, 2009 08:18AM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments Changed my username from J.C. to rytr_1. Sorry for the confusion. :)

message 3: by rytr_1 (last edited Nov 11, 2009 05:09PM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments July 2009
1. Colonization: Down to Earth -- Harry Turtledove
2. Velocity -- Dean Koontz
3. We'll Always Have Paris -- Ray Bradbury
4. The Abstinence Teacher -- Tom Perrotta

August 2009
5. You Must Remember This -- Joyce Carol Oates
6. I Love You, Beth Cooper -- Larry Doyle
7. Two to Conquer -- Marion Zimmer Bradley
8. Meyer -- Stephen Dixon
9. Snuff -- Chuck Palahniuk
10. After the Quake -- Haruki Murakami
11. Last Night at the Lobster -- Stewart O'Nan
12. Great Expectations -- Charles Dickens
13. The Fiction Class -- Susan Breen
14. Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage -- Alice Munro
15. Watch and Ward -- Henry James
16. Sorrow Floats -- Tim Sandlin
17. The Confessions of Max Tivoli -- Andrew Sean Greer

September 2009
18. Thirty-Nine Years of Short-Term Memory Loss -- Tom Davis
19. The Day I Turned Uncool -- Dan Zevin
20. I'm a Believer -- Micky Dolenz and Mark Bego
21. Vox -- Nicholson Baker
22. Silent Bob Speaks -- Kevin Smith
23. 44 Scotland Street -- Alexander McCall Smith
24. The Best a Man Can Get -- John O'Farrell
25. The Diary of a Young Girl -- Anne Frank
26. One on One -- Tabitha King

October 2009
27. The Cosmic Puppets -- Philip K. Dick
28. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time -- Mark Haddon
29. Veronika Decides to Die -- Paulo Coelho
30. Bicycling Through Space and Time -- Mike Sirota
31. Cass Timberlane -- Sinclair Lewis
32. The Skystone -- Jack Whyte
33. Mars -- Ben Bova

November 2009
34. Rabbit is Rich -- John Updike
35. Personal Days -- Ed Park
36. Eight Plus One -- Robert Cormier

rytr_1 | 193 comments 37. A Garden of Earthly Delights -- Joyce Carol Oates

rytr_1 | 193 comments 38. The Chocolate War -- Robert Cormier

Excellent audiobook version of this, read by the late Frank Muller. I've read the book once before, forgot just how brilliant it is. Also I'd forgotten the ending so I was surprised by it all over again. Highly recommended.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 39. Mr. Vertigo -- Paul Auster

message 7: by rytr_1 (last edited Nov 18, 2009 08:56AM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments 40. I, Robot -- Isaac Asimov

Only ten to go and I'll make my goal for 2009!

message 8: by rytr_1 (last edited Nov 19, 2009 01:00PM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments 41. Split Infinity -- Piers Anthony

I liked it, but not as much as I liked the Mode books. There are six more in the Apprentice Adept series, and I can't say I'm all that excited to read any of them. Probably will at some point, but not any time soon.

I just realized I read three authors with last names starting with A in a row: Auster, Asimov, Anthony. Weird.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 42. Friends and Lovers -- Eric Jerome Dickey

A beautiful book with very well-defined characters and situations that are easy to imagine. The writer really seems to love his characters. Highly recommended.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 43. The Handmaid's Tale -- Margaret Atwood

Wonderfully written, with characters as compelling as they are ambiguous. Rich and complex. The book asks more questions than it answers, but that is by no means a bad thing. I'll be ruminating on this one for a while.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 44. Jane Eyre -- Charlotte Bronte

A bit long-winded in spots, but on the whole a very intriguing book. My first reading of a work by any of the Brontes. Will have to seek out Wuthering Heights soon.

message 12: by rytr_1 (last edited Nov 26, 2009 09:18AM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments 45. Songs for the Missing -- Stewart O'Nan

A quick read, yet one with high emotions that lurk just beneath the surface. O'Nan is fair with all his characters, not telling us what to think of them but allowing us to decide for ourselves.

message 13: by rytr_1 (last edited Nov 28, 2009 07:36AM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments 46. Hairstyles of the Damned -- Joe Meno

The main character is a junior in high school in 1990-1991, the same time I was a junior. So I thought I'd relate to his story a bit more. (I was into theatre and comedy so I'm sure Brian would have made me the target of ridicule if I'd gone to school with him.) I really connected to certain passages, but I was hardly "punk" or "metalhead" or any kind of label like that so a lot of Brian's experiences are sort of alien to me. Never mind though, it's an okay book, although I do wish Meno hadn't resorted to stereotyping the characters as often as he did.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 47. The Taking -- Dean Koontz

One of the better Koontz novels I've read, also one of the creepiest.

message 15: by rytr_1 (last edited Nov 30, 2009 01:52PM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments I was thinking about reading several books per month under a specific theme. Not everything I read will be connected to a theme, but I think it would be cool to do at least five books.

My theme for December will be, perhaps predictably, the holiday season. I have a few lined up, all ready to go. The list of Christmas-themed nominations for the TNBBC book read is proving to be a great reference to this end.

Cindy (Newtomato) Good idea to do some theme reading for a while! In October I tried to read some of the old horror/monster classics, and it ended up being more fun than I expected.

You should do end of the year best/worst lists sometime. I'd be curious what you'd pick from your diverse readings!

Carol One on One -- Tabitha King
I have not read anything by her. Is It in the same genre as Stephen King, her hubby?

rytr_1 | 193 comments Cindy wrote: "Good idea to do some theme reading for a while! In October I tried to read some of the old horror/monster classics, and it ended up being more fun than I expected.

You should do end of the year be..."

That's a great idea, Cindy. I think I will! :)

message 19: by rytr_1 (last edited Dec 01, 2009 06:18AM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments carol (akittykat) wrote: "One on One -- Tabitha King
I have not read anything by her. Is It in the same genre as Stephen King, her hubby?"

Not really. Hers is more mainstream/general fiction. Although she does set some of it in Maine, and in One on One she refers to Castle Rock as a nearby town, so it appears to be set in the same universe...

I've only read the one novel so far, but her work is definitely worth a look. She has a knack for creating and fleshing out her characters. One on One seemed a bit long to me, but it's great stuff nonetheless.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 48. When I Whistle -- Shusaku Endo

What a wonderful, funny, sad book. Ozu and Flatfish are two characters that will remain with me for a long time. This may be the best book I've read this year. (Not to scoop my own upcoming best/worst reads list, which Cindy suggested I compile. After all, there is still one month to go in 2009, so maybe something will sweep past it!)

Carol rytr_1 wrote: "carol (akittykat) wrote: "One on One -- Tabitha King
I have not read anything by her. Is It in the same genre as Stephen King, her hubby?"

Not really. Hers is more mainstream/general fiction...."

I shall give it a try . Thanks for your input.

message 22: by rytr_1 (last edited Dec 03, 2009 10:37AM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments December 2009
49. A Christmas Story -- Jean Shepherd
Books About Holidays -- #1

Well, that was a lot of fun, as I knew it would be. I listened to the unabridged audiobook, read by Dick Cavett, who did a great job with it. This is not a scene-by-scene adaptation of the 1983 movie, but a selection of short stories that formed the basis of it. You get the Red Ryder air rifle, the fight with the bully, the parental battle over the lamp, and more. The sound effects and music are a nice touch, complementing the narrative without intruding upon it. Only regret: there is no sign of Flick getting his tongue stuck to the frozen flagpole.

message 23: by rytr_1 (last edited Dec 03, 2009 10:40AM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments 50. Disgrace -- J.M. Coetzee

Not sure what to think of this one. It's very well-written, and I'm already planning to read Coetzee. There are some great themes sprinkled throughout the novel. Hardly a word is wasted: the prose is very economical. At the same time, portions of it left me cold, and it was hard to connect with the characters. Maybe this wasn't the right Coetzee book to start with; I'll give him another try.

That makes 50 books for the year, which means I've reached my goal!

Hmm. Could I make 60?

Hmm.....

rytr_1 | 193 comments 51. Holidays on Ice -- David Sedaris
Books About Holidays -- #2

Funny stuff, as always. This collection seems a bit uneven to me, mostly because the fiction is considerably more dark than the personal essays for which Sedaris is most famous. My favorite selection: "The SantaLand Diaries."

rytr_1 | 193 comments 52. Never Let Me Go -- Kazuo Ishiguro

rytr_1 | 193 comments Not sure I'm going to continue with the theme reads beyond this month. It feels too much like I'm giving myself homework!

rytr_1 | 193 comments 53. The Century -- Peter Jennings and Todd Brewster

Carol Next year I expect double, you are certainly clipping along, with a wide variety of books. Congratulations ! How did you pick the number 50 for your goal?

Cindy (Newtomato) rytr_1 wrote: "Not sure I'm going to continue with the theme reads beyond this month. It feels too much like I'm giving myself homework!"

Yeah, reading off the 1001-Books list can feel this way too, especially if you get some stinkers.

message 30: by rytr_1 (last edited Dec 07, 2009 10:37AM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments carol (akittykat) wrote: "Next year I expect double, you are certainly clipping along, with a wide variety of books. Congratulations ! How did you pick the number 50 for your goal?"

Thanks, Carol! :) I saw that a lot of people on GR shoot for 100 books in a year, and since I started keeping track in July I just halved it. But I'm thinking I might go for 150 in 2010, especially now that I've added audiobooks into the fray.

Carol Good Luck. I think you will make 60 by the end of this year,especially as you say AUDIO BOOKS.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 54. The Stupidest Angel -- Christopher Moore

rytr_1 | 193 comments 55. I Am the New Black -- Tracy Morgan with Anthony Bozza

rytr_1 | 193 comments 56. Electroboy -- Andy Behrman
57. Me Write Book: It Bigfoot Memoir -- Graham Roumieu

Carol Three more to go.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 58. Born Standing Up -- Steve Martin

Excellent. And the audio is great too, banjo playing and all.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 59. Doomsday Book -- Connie Willis

Finally finished it!! There are some exciting scenes, but a LOT of filler. I'd say probably about 30-40% of the book could easily be removed and it would be the better for it.

Now I can get on with my life!

message 38: by rytr_1 (last edited Dec 21, 2009 05:45AM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments 60. Choke -- Chuck Palahniuk

Midway through I was beginning to think it was all just a bunch of random weirdness... until I got down to the last 20 pages or so and realized the book's various plot threads were beautifully connected. Great job, Chuck!

Oh, and that's 60. In 2010 I will shoot for 150 books.

Carol Yeah! congratulations. Soooooooooooo!!!! What will be your first read for 2120 , have you decided yet?

rytr_1 | 193 comments carol (akittykat) wrote: "Yeah! congratulations. Soooooooooooo!!!! What will be your first read for 2120 , have you decided yet?"

I'm guessing you meant 2010. ;) Hmm. What book would really start the year off right?

I'll think about that and get back to you.

rytr_1 | 193 comments Haven't had as much time to read this week as usual, due to Christmas preparations as well as the fact that my daughter's fourth birthday was on the 19th. I'm about halfway through South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami (whose writing I appreciate more and more with each of his books that I read). Will hopefully get time to finish that little puppy within the next couple of days: it reads fast, after all.

rytr_1 | 193 comments 61. South of the Border, West of the Sun -- Haruki Murakami

rytr_1 | 193 comments 62. Talking It Over -- Julian Barnes

rytr_1 | 193 comments Transition: 2009-2010

The last book I am reading in 2009 is The Years by Virginia Woolf. It'll be nice to close out the year with what appears to be a very poetic, introspective novel about the passage of time.

New years are for new beginnings, and so I will start off 2010 by re-reading an old favorite of mine, The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis, in which we see the beginning of an entire world... :)

rytr_1 | 193 comments My original goal for 2009 was 50 books. I made that goal and got up to 62 books. Was hoping to finish The Years by Virginia Woolf before the end of '09 but only made it about halfway through.

Nevertheless, I'm sort of itching to read other things right now so I might put The Years on the shelf temporarily and come back to it later this month.

My goal for 2010 is 150 books. The holiday season has made it difficult to keep up on my reading, but things should settle down now.

Susanna (jb_slasher) rytr_1 wrote: "New years are for new beginnings, and so I will start off 2010 by re-reading an old favorite of mine, The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis, in which we see the beginning of an entire world... :)"

Wow, I just read TMN as part of the complete Chronicles and I really liked it which I just didn't expect at all. A friend of mine insisted I read the Chronicles so she borrowed me the book and I hope it's not too early to say I'm really happy that she did. :)

rytr_1 | 193 comments I'm glad you liked it, Susanna; hope you like the other Chronicles too! :)

message 48: by rytr_1 (last edited Feb 01, 2010 01:07PM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments January 2010
1. The Magician's Nephew -- C.S. Lewis
221 pages

message 49: by rytr_1 (last edited Feb 01, 2010 01:07PM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments 2. Death With Interruptions -- José Saramago
238 pages

message 50: by rytr_1 (last edited Feb 01, 2010 01:07PM) (new)

rytr_1 | 193 comments 3. The Second City Unscripted -- Mike Thomas
272 pages

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread