THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

WHAT ARE YOU READING AND WHY!!

Comments (showing 7,001-7,050 of 9,321) (9321 new)    post a comment »

message 7001: by Aley (new)

Aley Martin (aleymartin) | 34 comments Stephen wrote: "Just finished The Man From St. Petersburg, a 1982 novel from Ken Follett.

It's a really good thriller, and I last read it in 1995. I'll post a proper review soon, but I was prompted to read it ag..."

I love him!

message 7002: by Aley (new)

Aley Martin (aleymartin) | 34 comments Just finished Ken Folletts" A Dangerous Fortune"...most excellent! Now going to read In the Garden of Beasts" but he author of "Devil in the White City". Recommended to me by my daughter and her friend Jeffrey.

Judith Starkston | 32 comments There's been a lot of discussion around Goodreads of Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles. It's a fascinating way inside that most iconic of heroes. I found the book so engaging I asked Madeline for an interview in case anyone wants to hear this bright and deep-thinking author speaking out about her book.

message 7004: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (Marja1) | 453 comments LOL I'm reading "If Fried Chicken Could Fly," because the title caught my attention. It's just a fun read. If Fried Chicken Could Fly by Paige Shelton

message 7005: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 421 comments Marja wrote: "LOL I'm reading "If Fried Chicken Could Fly," because the title caught my attention. It's just a fun read. If Fried Chicken Could Fly by Paige Shelton"

Wasn't the animated 'Chicken Run' based loosely on that?

message 7006: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (Marja1) | 453 comments I looked the book up and it appears it was just released this year. Does that help?

message 7007: by Rick (new)

Rick F. | 12747 comments Mod
VERY MUCH enjoying Michael Palmer's new book- Oath of Office- facinating and touching

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 279 comments Having just finished The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - The Curious Case Of The Kidnapped Chemist, now I am off to read Stone Rain as it needs to be sent to a friend.

message 7010: by Rick (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Having just finished The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - The Curious Case Of The Kidnapped Chemist, now I am off to read Stone Rain as it needs to be sent to a friend."

wow! you read fast!!! bravo!!

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 279 comments Yesterday I started and today I finished listening to Killer in The Woods: A Psychological Thriller - R. Barri Flowers

message 7012: by KOMET (last edited May 22, 2012 08:08AM) (new)

KOMET | 625 comments A few days ago, I began reading The Flight Of The Maidens by Jane Gardam. The novel's setting is Britain in the summer of 1946 and is focused on the lives of 3 young women (all friends --- one of whom arrived in Britain from Germany as a refugee shortly before the outbreak of war) who have just left school and won scholarships to university.

I have an interest in the era spanning the Second World War and the immediate postwar era. Plus Jane Gardam is a very good writer. Those are my reasons for reading this novel.

The Flight Of The Maidens by Jane Gardam

message 7013: by Rick (new)

KOMET wrote: "A few days ago, I began reading The Flight Of The Maidens by Jane Gardam. The novel's setting is Britain in the summer of 1946 and is focused on the lives of 3 young women (all friends --- one of ..."

KOMET- I must know what Langella had to say about James Mason in his book- Name Dropping...was he kind Mason in book?

message 7014: by Emily (new)

Emily Hill | 79 comments All About Lulu by Jonathan Evison

"All About Lulu" by Jonathan Evison is my current pick.. in turn-the-paper-pages format. Evison, a Whidbey Island author (across the pond from me) was keynoter at the recent Field's writer's conference.

Have you ever met Evison?? Oh. My. God. Roll off the sofa laughing!

I absolutely KNOW I am in for a good, irreverent read!

Barbara (Cinnabar) | 862 comments I'm reading Requiem for a Realtor by Ralph McInerny, a Father Dowling mystery. It's an easy read, entertaining and diverting.

message 7016: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 625 comments Yesterday, I began reading The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball by Frank Deford.

As a baseball fan and history buff, this book is right up my alley as it takes a look at major league baseball during the first decade of the 20th century, as exemplified by the great pitcher Christy Mathewson and the saavy, pugnacious manager of the New York Giants, John "Muggsy" McGraw.

The Old Ball Game  How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball by Frank Deford

message 7017: by Bill (new)

Bill Currently reading Bill Bryson's At Home: A Short History of Private Life and enjoying very much so far. Just started City Of Bones, my first Michael Connelly mystery. It's started off nicely.

message 7018: by Rick (last edited May 21, 2012 11:20AM) (new)

Oath of Office by Michael Palmer

Just finished Michael Palmer's new book- Oath of Office- splendid! Palmer truly knows how to grab the reader and make his characters so real! The Lead character Lou Welcome is quite unique in that he is dealing with an alcohol addiction,and Palmer truly seems to understand all that entails- Just heard from Michael that Lou Welcome will be back in his next novel- great news!!

Minnie (MinnieEstelle) | 242 comments I spoke to this question before telling you about "Glorious." I offer my review of this excellent novel.

"In my opinion, Bernice L. McFadden’s “Glorious” is gutsy, passionate, and written with wondrous insight. She is not afraid to delve into any culture, lifestyle, and the horrors of southern culture. The applied writing of each paragraph and use of human tenancy is genius. Creation of Easter, the protagonist, is testimony to McFadden’s passion for writing. Easter moves through life in a naive manner until it slaps her in the face. Many African American writers can testify to that.

"No wasted words in “Glorious”; she offers complete pictures of situations and characters, and in many cases, all in one paragraph. I cringed at some accounts and laughed at some. And there are scenes I will never forget. Several times I found myself in tears, asking, ‘Why, God? Why?'

"I bet Ms. McFadden surprised herself at her Muse’s ending.

“Glorious” is African American Literature. It will live on my bookshelf along with the classic works of Zora Neale Hurston, Toni Morrison, Jewell Parker Rhodes, and Octavia E. Butler. There are many other brilliant, African American writers who are not getting the recognition they deserve.

"What a wonderful teacher for serious writers. I will follow her."

“Glorious” is available on Amazon.com.

Glorious by Bernice L. McFadden

Minnie E. Miller, author of “Whispers from the Mirror” and other works.

Martha Samsell (tmhoira2012) I am reading Mudwoman by Joyce Carol Oates. I have been reading her books and found them to be well written. I enjoy her books and would like to read all of them.

Robert Clear (RobertClear) | 8 comments I've started reading George Gissing's Workers In The Dawn. It's one of the few of his I haven't been able to find on kindle.

message 7022: by Rick (new)

Robert wrote: "I've started reading George Gissing's Workers In The Dawn. It's one of the few of his I haven't been able to find on kindle."

I love Gissing's work- great to see others do to!

message 7023: by Rick (new)

Kyle, The Rebel Leader wrote: "Took a chance on Thomas Perry, an author I've never read before. I must say, the book The Face-Changers is monotonous and drab to say the least."

LOVE Perry's stand alone books- not crazy about his Jane series

Gabriela | 6 comments I am currently re-reading Marked (House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast). they're fun young adult books with a good twist on vampires. If you haven't checked them out you should.

message 7025: by Kath (new)

Kath | 48 comments I am about to begin Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason. Have been on a reading binge and haven't kept up with goodreads at all! I am working my way through Indridason, Hakan Nesser, Mo Hayder, and Stuart MacBride. All very good crime/mystery authors but I don't like Mo Hayder as much as the other three I mentioned.

Sanjana (Gigglepantz) | 6 comments Currently reading The Paris Wife and Here on Earth. Both wonderful books. The Paris Wife is hard to put down! I love anything that has French and Paris in it and the novel is about Ernest Hemingway and his first wife Hadley. It's a great read so far!

message 7027: by Rick (new)

Sanjana wrote: "Currently reading The Paris Wife and Here on Earth. Both wonderful books. The Paris Wife is hard to put down! I love anything that has French and Paris in it and the novel is about Ernest Hemingway..."

Love books on Hemingway!!

message 7028: by Rick (new)

Kath wrote: "I am about to begin Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason. Have been on a reading binge and haven't kept up with goodreads at all! I am working my way through Indridason, Hakan Nesser, Mo Hayder, and ..."

Some new names for me! thanks!

message 7029: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 52 comments I just started El Rey by Ginger Myrick El Rey  A Novel of Renaissance Iberia by Ginger Myrick. It's a historical romance but instead of the usual setting of England, it takes place in Portugal. Really good so far.

message 7030: by Rick (new)

Caron wrote: "I just started El Rey by Ginger Myrick [bookcover:El Rey: A Novel of Renaissance Iberia]. It's a historical romance but instead of the usual setting of England, it takes place in Portugal. Really g..."

interesting! how well does the writer capture historical Portugal?

message 7031: by Kath (new)

Kath | 48 comments Finished Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason and am going to begin Ritual by Mo Hayder while I'm waiting for my library to get Borkmann's Point by Hakan Nesser and Voices by Indridason.

message 7032: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Patience & Sarah by Isabel Miller

Set in the nineteenth century, Isabel Miller's classic lesbian novel traces the relationship between Patience White, a painter, and Sarah Dowling, a farmer, whose romantic bond does not sit well with the puritanical New England farming community in which they live. Ultimately, they are forced to make life-changing decisions that depend on their courage and their commitment to one another.

message 7033: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 52 comments Rick wrote: "Caron wrote: "I just started El Rey by Ginger Myrick [bookcover:El Rey: A Novel of Renaissance Iberia]. It's a historical romance but instead of the usual setting of England, it takes place in Port..."

She really seems to have done her homework. :)

Barbara (Cinnabar) | 862 comments I'm reading Damaged by Alex Kava

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 279 comments This morning I started Footprints on the Beach by Aleksandar Žiljak

message 7036: by Aley (new)

Aley Martin (aleymartin) | 34 comments Infinite Jest by Davidn Foster Wallace and The Rightous Mind by Jonathan Haidt.

message 7037: by Rick (new)

Aley wrote: "Infinite Jest by Davidn Foster Wallace and The Rightous Mind by Jonathan Haidt."

I keep telling myself I have to read Infinite Jest!!!
Other books keep crreping up- but facinated by Wallace

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 279 comments Finished Footprints on the Beach - Aleksandar Žiljak, was a nice relaxing story of love from 2 different time zones. Now I am going to read Abide with Me - Ian Ayris.

message 7039: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (Marja1) | 453 comments Reticence of Ravens by M.M. Gornell. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it has a kind of haunting quality to it. Really enjoying it. Reticence of Ravens by M.M. Gornell

message 7040: by Anne (new)

Anne (Spartandax) | 244 comments I am reading The Book of Lost Fragrances by M.J. Rose.
Looked very interesing from the summary, a combination of History, suspense, archaeology and mystery.

message 7041: by Aley (new)

Aley Martin (aleymartin) | 34 comments Rick wrote: "Aley wrote: "Infinite Jest by Davidn Foster Wallace and The Rightous Mind by Jonathan Haidt."

I keep telling myself I have to read Infinite Jest!!!
Other books keep crreping up- but facinated by W..."

It is VERY dense...but so far so good...1097 pages...!

message 7042: by adlin (new)

adlin | 29 comments Just started The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club  by Gil McNeil, my lunch reading, because it sounded good. Also, just started A Crafty Killing (A Victoria Square Mystery #1) by Lorraine Bartlett A Crafty Killing because it's a cozy and should be a good evening read.

message 7043: by Rick (new)

adlin wrote: "Just started The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club  by Gil McNeil, my lunch reading, because it sounded good. Also, just started A Crafty Killing (A Victoria Square Mystery #1) by Lorraine Bartlett A Crafty Killing because it's a..."

just nice to read a cozy mystery sometimes!! love a good Agatha Christie or Dorothy Sayers every few months!

message 7044: by adlin (new)

adlin | 29 comments True true! I just finished The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie by Agatha Christie. Going back to re-read some of them so I can compare to the PBS Mystery series to see how true they are to the book.....

message 7045: by Kath (new)

Kath | 48 comments Back to Scotland with Bloodshot by Stuart MacBride.

message 7046: by Mike (last edited May 27, 2012 06:05AM) (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) I'm currently finishing up Suttree by Cormac McCarthy (which is incredibly good). After that I'll be concentrating on catching up with the brain pain group's last few books and upcoming reads. I have many nonfiction books I want to get to this summer as well. I'm also slowly reading the koran out of curiosity and because a friend of mine is muslim.

message 7047: by Gary (new)

Gary | 123 comments Little Green Men by Christopher Buckley. Why? Fun, hilarious, goofy, politicians whacked.......

His father would be so proud......

message 7048: by Rick (new)

Gary wrote: "Little Green Men by Christopher Buckley. Why? Fun, hilarious, goofy, politicians whacked.......

His father would be so proud......"

I read Little Green Men by Christopher Buckley some years ago- LOVED IT!!!!!

message 7049: by Rick (new)

Kath wrote: "Back to Scotland with Bloodshot by Stuart MacBride."

safe mind journey to Scotland! Are books not wonderful- can take us anywhere!

message 7050: by Rick (new)

Bad Things Happen by Harry Dolan
pretty good noir mystery