College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > Unbearable Lightness of Being--For Those Reading Through

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Use this thread if you are reading through the book and you want to talk about it. For example, if you are anything like me, if something crazy happens in a book I always want to talk about it right after it happens! It's also nice to discuss with others who are reading through it. Please make sure at the top of every thing you post you have a Spoiler warning and say up to what page you are on.

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I plan on starting this book by the end of the week, anyone else?

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Me too! I'm trying to finish the current book I am reading so that I can start this one.

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Same here, Jamie! I have about 200 pages left to read in my current book before beginning this book.

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Just starting it now! I'm nervous so far because it has started out (within the first 2 pages) kinda philosophical and I'm totally not against that..however I feel very frazzled lately and need something light..so I'm hoping it's not superrr philosophical. I might have to read a light read at the same time!

Kayla | 591 comments I'm on page 200 right now. I'm actually really enjoying the philosophy and I'd hoped there be more when I first started it, but as the story goes on the philosophy gets a lot lighter. It's a very quick read, which is great. I'm reading Little Women at the same time, which is a great book but a bit dense and slow-going, so I'm enjoying the fast pace of Kundera's book.

message 7: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

What a thought provoking book so far! I'm really enjoying it! Just the right amount of philosophy and story. So much to think about.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm re-reading it. It is SO damn good!

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I love the "short dictionary of misunderstood words" parts. This book is really great. I feel like the characters are very real.

Tahleen | 1699 comments I'm having trouble with it--not because it's a difficult read but I find it kind of boring. Maybe I'm just not in the right frame of mind to be reading it. I took a break and read two children's books (I'm home sick so I have a lot of free time today haha).

message 11: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I had trouble with it in the beginning as well..it got more interesting the further I got. Feel better!!

Tahleen | 1699 comments Thanks Jamie! I'll keep on trucking through the book too :)

message 13: by R (new)

R (feste) | 158 comments I'm only in the middle of Part 2, but I think I'm a little in love with it. Like you guys have mentioned, though, it's not the breeziest of reads.

Tahleen | 1699 comments I'm liking it a bit more... my favorite character is Tereza, I'm finding myself identifying with her the most.

Daniel Clausen I remember it was such a joy reading that book. I just wish I had the time to read it one more time. I'm swamped with school work. It's just that time of the semester.

Alessia (allieonthemoon) I just started it (i'm beginning the second part) and I totally agree with you Jamie: it's definitely thought provoking. I particularly enjoyed the comparison between the different meanings of lightness and heavyness and how the common knowledge of heavyness as negative can be completely wrong if you really consider it...
I'm finding the story a little bit boring though and I don't like the characters very much so far. Hope they get better.

Thank you Jamie for advising me to start it anyway :)

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I felt the same way in the beginning about the story being boring..it definitely got much better for me. I really did not warm up to the characters for a while. I thought maybe I wasn't getting something I should..so I'm glad I'm not alone in finding it boring at first!

Tahleen | 1699 comments I thought it was boring for most of it haha. I can definitely see why people love this book, but it's just not the kind of fiction I usually read. I did identify with some of the characters, but not enough for me to love it.

message 19: by Alessia (last edited Dec 09, 2009 11:55AM) (new)

Alessia (allieonthemoon) This book is definitely growing on me! I still don't like the characters, even though Tereza has become more believable since the second part of the book where we can see the reasons behind her actions.
Anyway I'm starting to think they're not the most important thing of the book, they're like a part of a philosophical essay, the means the author uses to demonstrate his theory and I stopped caring about their story, concentrating on the messages Kundera is trying to give. It's making me think about a lot of things, i just need to organize them more clearly!

Oh and this is the first book I've ever read that mentions my city! It's on the beginning of PART THREE, Franz asks Sabine if she wants to go to Palermo with him and says "How can you live without knowing Palermo"? hehe

Is there anyone still reading through?

message 20: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I finished it already so I can't wait to talk to you about it when you are done!

unread topics | mark unread