College Students! discussion

college talk > Plans after graduation

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So what does everyone want to do once they've graduated from college? Do a masters, ph.d? Get a job? Or do ye want to do something completely different, like walk to Iceland or something?

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2140 comments As soon as I get my bachelors I'm going to get my Masters. I'm in an intern program with the U.S. Air Force, as soon as I graduate with my bachelors I'll graduate from the intern program and transfer into another, and this one will pay for my masters! :)

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (ReadingWhileFemale) | 487 comments I'm going to get a job teaching. I plan on being a high school band director. I'll probably go back and get my masters later, but I want to get out and start teaching as soon as I can.

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 603 comments I would love to get a journalism job in New York City, though any city would do. I plan to apply all over the country: Seattle, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco...

To be a writer in the city. That's my dream :)

message 5: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori | 2109 comments Mod
I'm going to take next year off and get a job, hopefully at a law office or something not at a restaurant or retail (I hate stupid and rude people), and think really, really, really hard about what I want to do. Law school or getting a masters in history are the top two ideas, but something might come up in the next year to change that.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments I think I'm going to go back to school although I have been thinking about just taking off and traveling. I'll need to get a job before I do that. lol

message 7: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I am hoping to start my masters this summer. It is going to be WONDERFUL to have no school this coming tax season!

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I hope to get a job! A job in the industry I've been studying! I'd even take an internship!

But I would like to do a little bit of traveling before (hopefully) commiting to a full-time job.

message 9: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 188 comments Go for my Masters. Right now I am hoping to get an internship at the Probation Department.

message 10: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 196 comments I'm graduating in June, and I hope to start a Masters in International Economics and European Studies in October :) meanwhile, I'll hopefully be in an internship in the Portuguese Ministry of Economy and learn Swedish.

message 11: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Wow Barbara! That sounds fascinating!

message 12: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 196 comments Haha, thanks! Actually, the internship and the Swedish classes might both start by the end of this month... exciting!

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen I'm in a PhD program right now. It's pretty intense. Graduation seems like a distant dream right now, but I like what I'm doing. I haven't figured out exactly what I'm doing once I leave school.

message 14: by Matthew (new)

Matthew I'll move to New York and find a job involving books

message 15: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori | 2109 comments Mod
So, new plans. I realized that I don't want to go to law school because the idea of going $100,000 into debt, working a few years, and then quitting for about 20 to have kids just seems ridiculous to me. And I had a hard time actually visualizing myself as a lawyer. So...I started thinking about getting a masters in history. Then I went to a talk by a professor who has done some free-lance public history research projects for towns and other groups. That sounded like a lot of fun! Apparently, my thesis that I'm doing is a public history and I've had a blast doing it.

Ergo, I'm going to go to grad school for a masters in public history and museum studies next year. (My mom is taking away my year off because I have a direction now and she doesn't want to hassle with taking me off of insurance and then trying to put my back on)

message 16: by Leanna (new)

Leanna (leannerd) | 46 comments I'm an English major with a double minor in Business and 19th Century Studies. After school, I'm hoping to go to the University of Denver's publishing institute for a month and get a job with an independent YA fiction publisher. I really want to be a copy editor for fiction novels.

The ultimate goal is to open up my own publishing company eventually. Hopefully it will all work out like I'm planning.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Moi...after much thought, I'm not going to go on and try and be a clinical psychologist, as planned. I'm going to do a degree in nursing instead.

It was a really tough decision...I absolutely love psychology, it's the academic love of my life. I've wanted to be a psychologist since I was 11. But it doesn't make sense to do it. I've spent 3 years learning about how screwed up the world is in sociology and politics, nursing is my way to do something about it. And I can always read psychology books. It's not the same thing, but it's better than nothing.

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I'm graduating this coming May and I always planned on going straight to grad school to get my masters in communication sciences and disorders. However, I've decided (after being prodded by a few faculty/administrative members of my college that I respect and trust whole-heartedly) to delay grad school for at least a year and serve with CAP - the Christian Appalachian Project. (http://www.christianapp.org/)

message 19: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Lynn!! :)

Are you getting super excited/anxious to be graduating?? The last semester was like that for me. CAP looks pretty interesting. Keep us updated!!

message 20: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I really disappeared this semester! It was the most eventful semester ever and I loved every minute of it, busy as it was. I am super nervous about graduating! I don't want to leave!! but today in Mass I was thinking about what a big adventure CAP will be... and how many people really get to have adventures anymore? So I shouldn't be sad to leave school... only excited. But I will miss everyone so terribly.

message 21: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

You did disappear..however..I learned from your post just how many extracurricular activities you are involved in..and you are one of the busiest people I know! Which is totally a good thing because you do alot of good things for your campus!

I hear you..there was so many reasons why I wanted to leave and be done..but at the same time I didn't want to leave. I was so used to be in school and all the people that I didn't want to be thrown into "the real world."

I think you are going to have a great adventure and I can't wait to hear about it!

message 22: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I am so different. I want it all done, now! :) Only my masters left, well after showing up for my two night classes this week. One teacher is new, so she beleives she has to make us show up for the final. :) The other is the dean, so he follows the rules too. But Yay! Done until summer.

message 23: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 196 comments It's funny how much my plans changed. My parents realized they can't pay the master I want's tuition, so I'm doing another degree - this time either in RI alone (I'm doing Political Science and International Relations atm), because I can just not attend some classes because I've done them already :P or European Studies. The reason why I can't get a job to pay the tuitions myself is due to my Health system... they'll cut me off once I start working, and I have no ophtalmologist nor a pneumology in the national health service (not as good as it sounds, ha), so I really need it. I'm guessing that in three years I'll have all of it sorted out, so I will be able to get a job, my parents will have saved some money, and it'll be possible for me to get the masters degree.

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2140 comments I'm sorry Bárbara! Remind me where you are from? Your health care plan sounds... different.

message 25: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 196 comments Portugal! We have a National Health System, which everyone (as long as they have citizenship, or a job here) is entitled to, but then there's private health care and services as well: clinics that are meant for people who have health insurances. Since my mother works for the State, and I'm a student who's never had a job before, I have access to the State's health subsystem, which has agreements with some of those private clinics which, due to the lesser affluence of people, barely have a waiting list, so, since I have no doctors in the public, national system (due to waiting lists - I was going to have an appointment in August last year, they just rescheduled it, AGAIN, to July this year!), I go to the private instead...

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess | 407 comments Good luck, Bárbara! That sounds really frustrating, but it sounds like you've got a handle on what academics look like for the next couple of years.

I'm off to grad school in the fall for city and regional planning at OSU.

message 27: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 196 comments Yeah, I was thinking it was just two more years of uni, but that turned into five... oh well.

I like regional planning! I've done two subjects, one with a demographics perspective (prospective for 2021), other on economics. I've done great on both.

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 407 comments That's really cool, Bárbara! I've actually not taken any classes on regional planning (I'm an International Relations and Religion double major), but I've done some research and internships related to planning.

message 29: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin My plan after graduating (getting my associates) is more school! Then more! AND MORE!! *runs in circles* So I'm trying to get a PhD.

<3

message 30: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ametralladoras) I'm graduating in May with a Computer Science degree. Not even entertaining the idea of getting a Masters. Kudos to those of you who are!! But I am entertaining the idea of going back to school to be a Midwife...maybe in the future. I'm half-ass looking for jobs now, there's a ton of computer jobs so I'm not worrying about it. Probably going to put off applying for jobs until I'm done with school so I can concentrate on finishing up. Then in the summer do some websites for people for cash while I'm applying for jobs.

message 31: by Arianna (new)

Arianna (theycallmena) I've got another year, but I want to do AmeriCorps, so that I can help reduce my loans. I want to load up on the internships too, so that I can look super cool to GRAD SCHOOLS! Or rather grad school, I want to go to grad school for a double degree in Social Work and human sexuality education...I'm thinking, sex therapist!

message 32: by BurgendyA (last edited Apr 18, 2010 06:19PM) (new)

BurgendyA | 37 comments May everyones hopes & dreams come true in their future careers. As in life may you all live it well, and happy. Filled with joy & money! Since you deserved it from all the hard work in school. =0)~

unread topics | mark unread