The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Ulysses by Joyce - Jan 2010 Read-A-Long

Comments (showing 1-50 of 227) (227 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8655 comments Mod
Hi everyone. Quite a few of us were chatting about Ulysses in the "Latest Splurge" topic, and have decided to read it together in January.

Any one else interested in joining us?

This is certianly the type of book I am going to need some reading support on :)

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) I've been putting off reading Ulysses for a long time because of its "reputation." Some mutual support should get me through it, so I'm in.

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Dan wrote: "I've been putting off reading Ulysses for a long time because of its "reputation." Some mutual support should get me through it, so I'm in."

Same here. I'll think about it and let you know soon.

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Dan, I'm excited to have a date to start my first Joyce! I always wanted to read "Finnegans Wake" though I hear that is quite possibly THE most difficult book on the face of the planet to read....

I figure, if I can tackle Ulysses, I can tackle the other too :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I might be in for this, too. I read it years ago, but am trying to re-read some of the classics I haven't read in a long time. Joyce is not an easy read, but I think he is well worth the effort.

message 6: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) Woo-hoo Dan! I'm so glad there's going to be quite a few of us. Now I can't wait! :)

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) If Benjamin Linus can read Ulysses, so can we. :o) I'm excited too!

message 8: by Suzanne (last edited Oct 30, 2009 11:00AM) (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments Which copy do you all recommend? I want to get this in with my next Amazon haul!

Yay!!! Dan, Lyn, Cait,and Petra for joining all of us ...
I'm not sure my brain can handle it, seriously :(

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Suzanne wrote: "Which copy do you all recommend? I want to get this in with my next Amazon haul!

Yay!!! Dan, Lyn, Cait,and Petra for joining all of us ...
I'm not sure my brain can handle it, seriously :("

I think I'm going to go with this edition, unless someone tells us that another edition is better:

Ulysses

message 10: by Petra (new)

Petra All right, I'm in.
With all of you to help me, I'm sure I won't get bogged down. Suzanne, my brain will be exercised during this reading, too. But with this group behind (ahead?) of us, we'll do great, too.

I'm also joining the Wuthering Heights read-along so will be juggling both books at the same time.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) That's right, Petra. I forgot about Wuthering Heights. Guess I will be doing both at the same time also.

message 12: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (Ben21) Im game for Ulysses as well.

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments Okay, I ordered my copy! Petra, I'm right with you!

Lyn ... I think you are slightly out of your mind, but your son will be home??? back at school???

I have 10 dogs right now, hopefully placing 4 before Christmas.
We also have a 10 week old baby Rottie coming home to us next week!!! His name is 'Achilles' and I'll try to put up some pics on my profile. He looks like a tiny black bear!!!

message 14: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Its wonderful to see so many people planning to join us.

message 15: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) Cait wrote: "If Benjamin Linus can read Ulysses, so can we. :o) I'm excited too!"

Just when I think you can't get any cooler, you have to go and post that! ;)

I can't find the edition I have just by browsing, but I'll look it up by the ISBN when I have the book with me. It's an older paperback, so I hope that doesn't mean the translation's terrible...

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments She is SO cool, isn't she, Jess??! I'd be annoyed if I didn't like her so much!!!

damn♥

message 17: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Mine is an old hardcover... from 1946.

message 18: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) Does anyone know someone who's actually read it and would know about the different translations? I wonder if there's really a big difference between them.

Haha, Suzanne! I was going to put "I heart Cait", but I'm a loser and don't know how to do the little hearts.

message 19: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Jessica, hold down the alt key and then press #3 from the keypad on the right side of the keyboard.

♥ = alt+3

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments My 12 year-old had to teach me!!! Press 'Alt' then, while holding that down, with your right hand press the number 3 on the calculator ... release the 3 first, then 'Alt' ...

There you go ...I had to practice(talk about losers!!!) ♥♥♥♥♥

message 21: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

There are tons of those things... each number, or number combination makes something
☺☻♥♦♣♠•◘○♂♀♪♫☼►◄↕‼¶§▬↨↑↓→←∟↔▲▼

message 22: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) Thanks you guys! Lemme see here...

♥♥♥

Sweet.

message 23: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Boo I can't do that on my external keyboard for my laptop as it doesn't have the numbers from the right.

message 24: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine Jessica wrote: "Does anyone know someone who's actually read it and would know about the different translations? I wonder if there's really a big difference between them.

It was written in English.

message 25: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) Oooops! I meant editions... :)

message 26: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments Allright Lori, I bow to your amazing brain once again!!!
Jeez, that took me awhile and she blew me out of the water in less than it takes to press send :(

message 27: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) WARNING:

All my future comments will probably be loaded with cute little symbols now...

☺ ♥ ☺

message 28: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

hahaha... I had to be shown too, Suzanne :)
I didnt know it was possible until a coupla months ago!

message 29: by El (new)

El I read this a few years ago and I'm not sure I'm ready for a re-read. Joyce and I don't really see eye-to-eye. :) But I might peek in on the discussion - I'd love to hear what some of you have to say about it.

message 30: by Cait (last edited Oct 30, 2009 10:43PM) (new)

Cait (caitertot) Jessica and Suzanne: "I learned it by watching you!" ( my apologies for the 80's anti-drug television commercial reference... remember that one?) :o)

You girls give me the warm fuzzies, along with entirely too much credit. Either way, my cool level just took a nose dive because no matter how hard I try, I can't get the fricken heart symbol thingy to work. Is it because I'm on a Mac? Or is it the loser - I mean user? :o(

message 31: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Hell yeah, loser schmooser. It was all Mac's fault. But I used my ninja like google skills and figured it out.

♡♥❤☺☻☠☢☂☁✔✕✍∞➹✠☆❅✰✿❀✪

And look, I even found Oceanic Flight 815! ✈
And the numbers! ➍➇➊➎➀➅➋➌➃➁

Ok, so maybe I'm not a loser anymore, but I'm officially a DORK™

message 32: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

uh oh. for me, Cait, I see a bunch of squares. Only the heart, and the two smily faces show through. Perhaps its because mac doesnt tranlate its symbols to us PC users???

Anyhow, I too adore your Lost coolness!

message 33: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Aw man, what the rut? Oh well, at least I entertained myself for 10 minutes last night. :o)

message 34: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments I'm in for Uylsses. I attempted a few times before without sucess. I will search for my copy and see what edition I have.

message 35: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine Lori wrote: "Hi everyone. Quite a few of us were chatting about Ulysses in the "Latest Splurge" topic, and have decided to read it together in January.

Any one else interested in joining us?

This is cert..."

Is the plan to read the entire book in a month?

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol Ok count me in, even though I have read it twice in the few odd years I've been reading .It will be nice to read it with a group, which I have never done before.

message 37: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Peregrine...
It can take you as long as you need.

I don't think we are chunking it out in order to read it in any certain time frame, but we could.. if that's what people want.

message 38: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine Lori wrote: "Peregrine...
It can take you as long as you need.

Whew! 'Cause it's going to take me awhile.

I don't think we are chunking it out in order to read it in any certain time frame, but we could.. if that's what people want."

I think it would be helpful if we did divide it into sections, not for timing, but as a way for individuals to avoid spoilers.

message 39: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments I think that is a good idea !

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie D.  (StephanieDM) I'm in the middle of reading this book, which my book club started this spring. We are planning on finishing by February and I've only read half.

message 41: by Shary (new)

Shary (SharyFG) | 85 comments Have always wanted to read this! Count me in!

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments Yay Shary! Welcome!!!

message 43: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) Cait wrote: "Hell yeah, loser schmooser. It was all Mac's fault. But I used my ninja like google skills and figured it out.

♡♥❤☺☻☠☢☂☁✔✕✍∞➹✠☆❅✰✿❀✪

And look, I even found Oceanic Flight 815! ✈
And the numbers..."

Oooh, they all came through on my end! That trademark symbol is hilarious! Adn you know I love the numbers.

I'm getting so excited that so many people are joining in!

message 44: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments Allright Jessica, you guys are making me feel bad :(
I thought I was getting my groove back for a sec ... but NO! Attack of the old age gets me again!!!!!!!!!!!
hahaha :)

Jess, Have you seen Mary Tyler Moore(alias Lori) and all her new pics???
Boy, now that she's hanging with the famous, jet-setting Authors ... what a change!!! LOL!!!

She is adorable ... Interior Designed bookshelves, WOW!!!
"We are not worthy! We are not worthy!"

hehehe ♥

message 45: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Suzanne, you are not the first person to refer to me as MTM... Im beginning to get a complex :)

message 46: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments •◘○♦♣♠☺2☻♥♠○☺ ********T can't find the music symbols..

Who can turn the world on with her smile :)
WHo can take a nothing day ... and suddenly make it all seem worthwhiLLLLeeee .....

WEELLLLL..... it's you girl and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show itttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE IS ALLL AROUND ( come on EVERYONE JOIN INNNNN...)

message 47: by Chris (new)

Chris Shortt | 4 comments Sounds good. I started it after taking a trip to Ireland a couple of years ago, but I never finished it. I suppose it is time for another go. I'm in. :)

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol I am sure we will have a lively discussion Joyce would be proud of.

message 49: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Picked up a copy at Borders yesterday. I figure a couple of months of getting used to its "presence" before interacting with it can't hurt.

message 50: by Carol (new)

Carol Dan what a good idea. I have an old copy from the sixties I will be reading from. I might get a leg up soon. I don't want to purchase any more books at the present time. I need to save money for a Proust book I want to read.

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ulysses (other topics)
Swann's Way (other topics)
Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic (other topics)
The Sound and the Fury (other topics)
Recovering Your Story: Proust, Joyce, Woolf, Faulkner, Morrison (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Arnold Weinstein (other topics)