The Life of a Book Addict discussion

Need suggestions for one of my goals

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (new)

LynnB One of my goals is to read books in 5 genre that I never or rarely read. I can figure out books in 4 of them, but I am stuck on the Romance genre. Any ideas for a book that would qualify, but not make me gag or roll my eyes too much (LOL)? Thanks for any suggestions.

message 2: by Dana (new)

Dana (ANovelIdea73) | 141 comments The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks?

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Dana wrote: "The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks? "

I've heard of this one, but never read it...didn't realize it was a romance. Looking at the description of it on goodreads, it looks like it would work! Thanks!

message 4: by Marilu (last edited Oct 27, 2009 08:06PM) (new)

Marilu | 171 comments Lynn wrote: "One of my goals is to read books in 5 genre that I never or rarely read. I can figure out books in 4 of them, but I am stuck on the Romance genre. Any ideas for a book that would qualify, but not..."

That was a good one! I don't really read romance either, but have read quite a few of Nicholas Sparks' books. I would say they are more of a romantic story vs "romance novel" (as in mushy detailed sexual stuff, that makes me gag....lol) If you read the Notebook, and like it, you should read The Wedding which is the sequel.....REALLY GOOD!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lynn wrote: "One of my goals is to read books in 5 genre that I never or rarely read. I can figure out books in 4 of them, but I am stuck on the Romance genre. Any ideas for a book that would qualify, but not..."

Tim by Colleen McCullough - if you can get it. I think you'd have to find it used.

ISBN-10: 0380711966

I read it about 20 years ago but I do recall it was a very interesting romance; different from the more common heaving bosom and other throbbing body parts.

message 6: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Michelle wrote: "Tim by Colleen McCullough - if you can get it. I think you'd have to find it used.
I read it about 20 years ag..."

I've read other Colleen McCullough, but never heard of "Tim". I'll have to check that one out too. thanks!

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 88 comments How about some classics like Wuthering Heights or Persuasion or I don't know if it qualifies but I've always thought of it in a romantic light, The House of the Seven Gables?

message 8: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) (mbeth45) | 11555 comments Mod
Hi Lynn. I have to say "The Notebook." It makes you cry. There is a second follow up book to it. I think it's called "The Wedding." It was great too.

Mary

message 9: by LynnB (last edited Oct 28, 2009 07:01AM) (new)

LynnB You all are giving me some very good ideas. This may not be as painful as I thought it would be! My brain always thinks of romance as just the Harlequin type, guess I wasn't being broad enough in my thinking!

message 10: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) I am interested in the what the other 4 genre are and what your selections in each are if you would like to share.

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 578 comments Michelle wrote: "Lynn wrote: "One of my goals is to read books in 5 genre that I never or rarely read. I can figure out books in 4 of them, but I am stuck on the Romance genre. Any ideas for a book that would qua..."

Oh yes, Tim is a lovely book. Read it years ago. Its only a short book too. How about the Thorn Birds too?

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 55 comments For fun, try Georgette Heyer's Regency Romances.... They've started reprinting quite a few of them.

message 13: by LynnB (new)

LynnB LemonLinda wrote: "I am interested in the what the other 4 genre are and what your selections in each are if you would like to share."

Well, I haven't figured them all out yet, but my working list is:

1. (sci fi) probably Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein since another book club has it on it's upcoming list.

2. (western) Probably one by Molly Gloss or by Zane Gray.

3. (romance) ??

4. (chick lit-lite) I've gotten a lot of recommendations, but haven't picked one, probably a Sophie Kinsella since there are so many to pick from.

5. (vampire, horror) Probably a Stephen King, since I haven't read any of his, but will read just because he's written so many.

message 14: by LynnB (new)

LynnB By the way, everybody, thanks for these ideas. You've really given me some to think about.

message 15: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (NWStampe) Heinlein is a great choice. You may also want to consider Fahrenheit 451. Not to confuse the issue.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lynn wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Tim by Colleen McCullough - if you can get it. I think you'd have to find it used.
I read it about 20 years ag..."

I've read other Colleen McCullough, but neve..."

It's a bit of a coming of age love story. I'm sure when it was written it would have been considered a bit scandalous.

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana (ANovelIdea73) | 141 comments Great idea re: your list Lynn!
Just a thought, "The Historian" could be one to think about for your vampire, horror read.

message 18: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Nathaniel wrote: "Heinlein is a great choice. You may also want to consider Fahrenheit 451. Not to confuse the issue. "

Hi Nathaniel, I tried Fahrenheit 451 several years ago - didn't like it. I hope Heinlein is different! I just really have a hard time getting interested in sci-fi at all, so this will be probably the hardest book in the challenge.

message 19: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 55 comments For science fiction, try "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 183 comments What fun!! I have a few suggestions but you may take them or leave them:

Sci-Fi: Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Western: Lonesome Dove (long) or Anything for Billy (short), both by Larry McMurtry, or Deadwood by Pete Dexter
Romance (blech!): Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor or possibly Katherine by Anya Seton. These are tolerable because they are historical romances.

message 21: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Cynthia wrote: "For science fiction, try "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card."

hmmm, someone else recommended that book a while back for something else. I'll have to read the description/reviews on it.

message 22: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Mary wrote: "What fun!! I have a few suggestions but you may take them or leave them:

Sci-Fi: Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Western: Lonesome Dove (long) or [book:Anything for..."

I didn't like the one Margaret Atwood book that I read in the past so I'm sort of leary of that one, but your western and romance ideas are definitely one's I could see myself reading.

message 23: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Dana wrote: "Great idea re: your list Lynn!
Just a thought, "The Historian" could be one to think about for your vampire, horror read.
"

I didn't know that was a vampire/horror book! I've heard of it, but thought it was just a literature-type book.

message 24: by Dana (new)

Dana (ANovelIdea73) | 141 comments From Wikipedia: "The Historian has been described as a combination of genres, including Gothic novel, adventure novel, detective fiction, travelogue, postmodern historical novel, epistolary epic, and historical thriller.".....Just a thought.
Just looking at this ..you have a lot of great people on here with some great ideas! Happy reading!

message 25: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Dana wrote: "From Wikipedia: "The Historian has been described as a combination of genres, including Gothic novel, adventure novel, detective fiction, travelogue, postmodern historical novel, epistolary epic, a..."

That certainly makes "The Historian" sound interesting! I have gotten some really great ideas by everyone who has posted here. I might even end up reading more than the "one per my-not-usual-genre"!

message 26: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 578 comments Horror, try The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, I've just finished it and its spooky!

message 27: by Meghan (last edited Oct 31, 2009 02:06AM) (new)

Meghan Well, I was going to suggest a Shirley Jackson book (for horror--She wrote The Lottery And Other Stories and The Haunting of Hill House). But I have to second The Historian. Even if you don't like vampires, this book is wonderful in the whole historical fiction/travel genre. The author received a one million dollar contract based solely on the first chapter (the first ever in publishing history), if that tells you anything about the writing.

I also have to second Ender's Game for sci-fi. It's fun and not so "technical" or weird. I was going to recommend The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, except you said you didn't like her. Oryx and Crake is one of my favorite books, but it is VERY weird sci-fi, so it may not be your cup of tea.

I'm not a huge fan of Kinsella, but her non-shopaholic books are fairly decent (The Undomestic Goddess is silly but fun). I liked Fashionistas by Lynn Messina (which is very similar to The Devil Wears Prada, but I actually liked better). And I know some people classify this as "fluff" but I really enjoyed The Reading Group A Novel by Elizabeth Noble.

message 28: by Meghan (last edited Oct 31, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

Meghan Oh, and what about Beach Music by Pat Conroy for romance? (He wrote The Prince of Tides.)

And I wasn't sure if by romance you mean "heaving bosoms" or just love stories. If the latter, I can't recommend enough The Miracles of Santo Fico A Novel by D.L. Smith. It is the sweetest little book you will ever read.

message 29: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 593 comments for chick lit what about Bridgit Jones diary-easy read!!!

message 30: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I KNEW if I asked I'd get lots of recommendations and you all sure have pulled through for me! Now my problem is making an actual choice....I'm reading all the synopses of the above on goodreads and trying to figure out which ones to pick. I have already read only 3 of them, so there isn't much I can quickly weed-out. You all are great!

message 31: by Stray (new)

Stray (andrez-ssi) do you like classics?if you do, I'd ell you to read a Jane austen book or...(omg I just realized my experience isnt as vast as i'd like it to be!)
still, jane austen

message 32: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Marilu wrote: "Lynn wrote: "One of my goals is to read books in 5 genre that I never or rarely read. I can figure out books in 4 of them, but I am stuck on the Romance genre. Any ideas for a book that would qua..."

Hi Marilu, I didn`t knowtherewas a sequel to THE NOTEBOOK,I`ll need to look out for it.

message 33: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Dana wrote: "Great idea re: your list Lynn!
"

Great suggestion Dana.

message 34: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Leonor wrote: "do you like classics?if you do, I'd ell you to read a Jane austen book or...(omg I just realized my experience isnt as vast as i'd like it to be!)
still, jane austen"

Hi Leonor - I do like classics, but they aren't on the list because they are something I read anyway. I agree Austen would be a good choice (I've read a few of hers), but I'm looking for a non-classic here. Thanks for the idea, though!

message 35: by Dana (new)

Dana (ANovelIdea73) | 141 comments DJ wrote: "Marilu wrote: "Lynn wrote: "One of my goals is to read books in 5 genre that I never or rarely read. I can figure out books in 4 of them, but I am stuck on the Romance genre. Any ideas for a book..."

Thank you DJ. That book was imagery at its best.

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments For Stephen King- I recommend The Shining. One night I was reading and literally threw the book against the far wall and ran out of the house. But I loved it!

For Western, Buffalo Girls is good.

message 37: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Jill wrote: "For Stephen King- I recommend The Shining. One night I was reading and literally threw the book against the far wall and ran out of the house. But I loved it!..."

Just put it in the freezer when it gets too scary!

message 38: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments lol, I didn't think of that. I ahd to get out of the house immediately. It was funny now looking back. I was in high school and it was 10 pm on a school night. I told my mom my book was freaking me out and I had to get out of there. She was so surprised she didn't enforce curfew that night, lol.

message 39: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Jill wrote: "For Stephen King- I recommend The Shining. One night I was reading and literally threw the book against the far wall and ran out of the house. But I loved it!..."

This is exactly why I rarely read horror books! ;-) But Buffalo Girls looks good for a western.

message 40: by PDXReader (new)

PDXReader Of course, the best Western EVER is Lonesome Dove. It looks long, but it's a surprisingly fast read... and VERY good.

message 41: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) (mbeth45) | 11555 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "Jill wrote: "For Stephen King- I recommend The Shining. One night I was reading and literally threw the book against the far wall and ran out of the house. But I loved it!..."

Hi Lynn. My favorite King book was "The Stand." The movie was great too. I just bought his new book but I"m trying to finish up "Dragonflies in Amber." It's so long.

Marbear

message 42: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Thanks everyone! I finally have come up with my list...though a few of the others not on this list made it to my TBR pile too. Here's the selection for my "Rarely/Never Read Genre List to Get Through in 2010":

1. (sci fi)- Stranger in a Strange Land, Heinlein
2. (western) - Anything for Billy: A Novel, McMurtry
3. (romance) - Tim, McCullough
4. (chick lit lite) - Confessions of a Shopaholic Kinsella
5. (vampire, horror)The Historian, Kostova

message 43: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Lynn wrote: "Thanks everyone! I finally have come up with my list...though a few of the others not on this list made it to my TBR pile too. Here's the selection for my "Rarely/Never Read Genre List to Get Thr..."

Be sure to post how it went! Would love to hear how/if you liked them.

message 44: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Meghan wrote: "Be sure to post how it went! Would love to hear how/if you liked them...."

will do!

message 45: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Have fun reading

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wuthering Heights (other topics)
Persuasion (other topics)
The House of the Seven Gables (other topics)
Stranger in a Strange Land (other topics)
Katherine (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Pat Conroy (other topics)
Elizabeth Noble (other topics)
Shirley Jackson (other topics)
Lynn Messina (other topics)
Margaret Atwood (other topics)
More...