Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > bookdepository.com

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dorsi (new)

Dorsi (denverbroncosgirl) Question....who out there has ordered from the bookdepository.com? I see the shipping is free. It almost sounds too good to be true. Are there any hidden fees? Membership fees? I am a little skeptical because I ordered a book once from an unknown book website & paid $35 for a $10 book! Additionally, they were going to continue to rape my bank account for an ongoing $25 a month!

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Oct 27, 2009 03:16PM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 116 comments Dorsi, it may sound good too be true, but so far I have been nothing but satisfied with BookDepository. I've gotten some great deals from them, things like 50% off cover prices. Only thing about them is you don't know for sure when your book will be arriving, but my orders so far have arrived within a reasonable time frame.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Dorsi, I have used them a lot and they have always been great. The books usually take about 5 working days to arrive. There is no shipping, books have never been damaged. Can't recommend them enough. Sometimes I feel guilty about not buying within my own country to stimulate the economy, but then I get over it when I think of my own private economy ;-) It's great being able to save a few bucks! And it adds up when you buy the amount of books I do.

message 4: by Dorsi (new)

Dorsi (denverbroncosgirl) Josie, I hear you sister! If I can get deals & support my addiction in a economical way, then I am all about it! What country is it based in? Thanks for the reply!

message 5: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments bd.com ROCKS! This is my new favorite place to buy books from!!!! I thought it was too good to be true too, but I have ordered from them a few times now and have been totally satisfied!!! They are based in the UK I believe.....

message 6: by Dorsi (new)

Dorsi (denverbroncosgirl) Thanks Susan, I just placed my first order about 20 minutes ago!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

They are located in the UK. They also have a sister site bookdepository.co.uk

Check for price comparisons.

I'm in Australia, so I think 5 working days is great!

message 8: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 205 comments Wow it does sound great. I will probably be trying them soon opposed to amazon, where you have to pay $4 shipping on every book.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 116 comments Lenore wrote: "Wow it does sound great. I will probably be trying them soon opposed to amazon, where you have to pay $4 shipping on every book."

Lenore, yeah, but that's only if you spend less than $25 an order at Amazon. A true book buying addict would never spend that little. lol
On a side note, a nice thing about Bookdepository is it will usually do the price comparing with Amazon for you. I have actually found a couple books where Amazon was the better deal.

message 10: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 3284 comments Hi everyone. I've been using Book Depository for about 8-10 months or so. Being from Oz, where everything book is expensive, I can mostly get new books from BD cheaper than secondhand, even on ebay.

They are fantastic, they have specials too. On special at the moment are Halloween based books.

And yes they are based in UK. Worldwide shipping is free, no matter how much you spend. Books always arrive very well packed and no damage.

You can tell I'm a fan.

message 11: by Lory (new)

Lory (Moty) | 11 comments I just place my firs order with them!!! So lets see how long it takes them to deliver my books. I did notice the they have good prices, so I'm happy in that side. I order 9 books for only $43.00 :-P

message 12: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments Nice Lory!!:) Keep us posted!

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (SparklyBluEyes) | 435 comments WOW~this site looks awesome! I can't order anything right now because well it's coming to be christamas time, and I have a crap load of books on my christmas list. But also I don't have the funds for it either, even though they have extremely great prices.

I would love to hear about some more reviews especially arrivals and stuff like that.

message 14: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Dang, better than my employee discount on some stuff! I've also been wanting some UK editions of a few books so I'll have to check this site for them. I really don't need any more books though ... but thanks for the link!

message 15: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Woohoo, I just bought The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian for $4.49 to test this out. I also like that they take PayPal since I had some money in my account.

message 16: by Denell (new)

Denell | 17 comments Hey did my first order on Thursday. Hopefully get good service from them. I'm from South Africa, so will let you guys know how long it takes before I get my books. Whoohoo :) Free delivery I love it!! Just makes you think why can companies as big as Amazon not do the same??

message 17: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 3284 comments Hi everyone, re delivery - some books I get in 5 days some in 15. And that's to Australia. But the price & quality is right.

And I totally agree with the Amazon thing - for o/s customers its about $13 for postage and that's on every book.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Shazzy wrote: "I love the Book Depository! It's so much easier (and cheaper) to buy the US editions of books so I can have a complete set. Amazon UK now have free delivery in the UK without a minimum spend. I order from both sites."

So do I. I've noticed since Amazon UK have free delivery in UK that some of the books are now expensive so I'm using Book Depository more and more these days.

message 19: by Lory (new)

Lory (Moty) | 11 comments Well 5 Days already and I didn't received yet. Well I guess I should not count Saturday and Sunday :P. I will keep everybody posted

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL Lory, no I wouldn't count Sat & Sun either ;-)

message 21: by Lory (new)

Lory (Moty) | 11 comments Josie wrote: "LOL Lory, no I wouldn't count Sat & Sun either ;-)

"

LOL I was silly, Anyway good news I received all my 7 books between yesterday and today. I am happy with the service, books came in excellence coditions and I believe in a reasonable time. I think they just win and new costumer.

message 22: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 205 comments Great to know! Thanks Lory. With Christmas coming up, I think this site may be getting a lot of my business.

message 23: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Shannon wrote: "Woohoo, I just bought The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian for $4.49 to test this out. I also like that they take PayPal since I had some money in my account."

I got my book today! It came in great condition in a bubble mailer and they even put a bookmark inside. So it only took 6 business days for shipping to Michigan. Pretty awesome!

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 93 comments the website looks good, anyone make any orders from Canada?

message 25: by Denell (new)

Denell | 17 comments I got my books from the post office over the weekend! But it already arrived on the 9th!!! That was 5 working days to South Africa!!! They are awesome I luvzzzz them :)

Gwendolyn Marianne Ho (gwenmarianne) | 3 comments I think BookDepository.com is really the best online bookstore. Came across it while searching for the best place to get my books. It took them 9 days to send my Charlaine Harris box-set to me in Singapore. No shipping charges too. Amazing! Books arrived in fantastic condition. I'll definitely buy from them again. Two thumbs up!!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Book Depository is:

- now selling ebooks

- planning on launching operations in North America and Australia = shorter delivery times

- going to make it easy to self-publish through them in a project called Espressio

- creating a database including every book ever published called BibDib similar to IMDB but for books. It sounds similar to Goodreads but nothing is as good as Goodreads!

It's all in an article found here.

message 28: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments I haven't been buying as much from them since their prices went up earlier this year. They used to have mass markets for 50% off but not anymore, I can understand they want to make more money but it was good while it lasted.

message 29: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Dang, and the volcano seems to have shut down the ... website? That doesn't make a lot of sense, but oh well.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Actually it does Shannon, the volcano has grounded all air traffic because the ash has spread to cover Europe in the upper atmosphere and has a tendency to get into engines and make planes fall out of the sky. Many holidays have been ruined, people have been stranded and it's set to go on for many more days. Plus those with breathing difficulties have been advised to stay indoors especially those living in northern Europe. Apparently 200 hundred years ago the volcano spewed ash for two years, that doesn't look good for the future of air travel/mail/freight in Europe. Hopefully it will be over soon.

Anyway, I haven't noticed an increase in prices, in fact it's the opposite for me but then I live in the UK where they're based so perhaps books are cheaper on the UK site.

message 31: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments No, I understand what's going on, you misunderstood me. The actual website was taken down - the volcano can't affect virtual space! I understand they can't ship, but to not allow anyone to visit the website is strange.

message 32: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments And the prices are more expensive on the UK website than the US one for me - although UK versions of books sometimes will be 50%, the US versions are normally no more than 25% off. I used to be able to get a mass market for $3.99 and now they charge $5.99.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Oh right, sorry! I guess it's the easiest way to stop people from ordering so they don't get back-logged and have to catch-up. They may not have to facilities to do that and don't want to dissappoint or have any irate customers wondering when they'll get their books if they've no way of knowing when they can ship again.

message 34: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Yeah, I figure they're protecting themselves from stupid people.

message 35: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 205 comments Wait BD isn't shipping? I have gotten no notice and I preordered 3 books from them.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Shannon wrote: "And the prices are more expensive on the UK website than the US one for me - although UK versions of books sometimes will be 50%, the US versions are normally no more than 25% off. I used to be abl..."

Oh, I'll have to check that out. I wonder if I can order from the .com site. Cheaper is always better :)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments Here's the text from the .com site:

Due to the volcanic eruption beneath the Eyjafjallajoekull glacier in Iceland and subsequent grounding of all air traffic in Europe, we’re experiencing delays and supply issues. As a result we’re suspending our service to North America, and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. We hope that flights will resume soon and we can start the service again. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Customers outside of North America may order via BookDepository.co.uk although some of these deliveries may also be subject to delay.

message 38: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 18, 2010 11:00AM) (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Lenore *--*Phierce*-- * wrote: "Wait BD isn't shipping? I have gotten no notice and I preordered 3 books from them."

They can't.

I'm hoping my copy of:

Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini Singh

shipped before the whole volcano thing. I doubt it though since I got the notice on 4/16 that it was in stock.

Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Oh, I'll have to check that out. I wonder if I can order from the .com site. Cheaper is always better :)"

That book I posted about above I got for $5.24 - it's currently $10.75 on the UK site, but their prices fluctuate after the release date so maybe it was cheaper as a preorder? Couldn't tell you.

message 39: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 205 comments So all of us with orders from them will get no notice nor refunds for the books that they are now not shipping?

message 40: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Lenore *--*Phierce*-- * wrote: "So all of us with orders from them will get no notice nor refunds for the books that they are now not shipping?"

Who knows? I'm gonna wait it out because what I ordered isn't something I need right this second. You could always email them if you're worried.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Lenore *--*Phierce*-- * wrote: "So all of us with orders from them will get no notice nor refunds for the books that they are now not shipping?"

I think it depends on WHEN your books are due for release/shipping. The air travel chaos may be over soon so it may not affect you.

message 42: by Lenore (last edited Apr 18, 2010 11:08AM) (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 205 comments I Have Radiant Shadows by Melissa Marr-April 20, (I would like that one soon but if it is a few weeks late that would be alright) Darkest Passion by Gena Showalter-May 25 and Dead inthe Family by Harris on May 4. in your opinion will these be delayed? Thanks

message 43: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Lenore *--*Phierce*-- * wrote: "in your opinion will these be delayed?"

It's a natural phenomenon so there's really no way to tell!

message 44: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 205 comments Good point. I suppose we wait it out.

message 45: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 105 comments I've been looking on there. I am going to order some books. I just ordered a bunch through my book club too, so I am going to have to put it off a little while until I get through all those books and see what I need next.

message 46: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Yay, the website's back!

message 47: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 205 comments YES!

message 48: by Brefly (new)

Brefly | 3 comments 10% discount for book depository here on the facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/BookDepository

message 49: by Brefly (new)

Brefly | 3 comments new 10% discount code for the Book Depository valid until 16-May-2011

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ppenews

message 50: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Brefly wrote: "new 10% discount code for the Book Depository valid until 16-May-2011

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ppenews"

Thanks for the heads up! Already put it to use!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (other topics)
Visions of Heat (other topics)