The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2009-2010 > Polls Are Up Go Vote!!!

Comments (showing 101-150 of 173) (173 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Tanja wrote: "I won't be reading a chunky novel for the Group Reads if it is selected. That's mainly b/c my RL book club is hitting Russian Lit and those are guaranteed to be massive *snickers*

Looking at the..."

Lol, I'm in the same boat. I read The Stupidest Angel for the Summer Challenge, and A Christmas Carol and Alice in Wonderland for the Spring Challenge! :o)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments *laaaaaaauuuughs*

I guess we'll pick the quickest read since we're recently read them.

Deedee | 1164 comments Re: Page lengths and Challenges: for this Fall Challenge, I'm reading Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe for 5.3 (5 points) and it is 320 pages; and, next up will be Home for Christmas by Father Andrew Greeley for 20.1 (20 points) and it is a brief 191 pages. I'm doing this challenge because it is fun. It's gotten me to consider reading (and, sometimes, actually reading) books that I normally wouldn't have thought to look at, and so it's been good.

message 104: by Jan (the Gryphon) (last edited Nov 02, 2009 12:50PM) (new)

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 228 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "I just checked and Monte Cristo is a fat book, 1488 pages,

I hope it doesnt win, I Can't read books that FAT. sorry :( "

Oh, Teresa! I just read (err...."

Maybe, as long as we're discussing the possibility of reading an abridged version, we could choose to read the Children's Classic edition. I could probably handle that!

message 105: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) Jan (the Gryphon) wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "I just checked and Monte Cristo is a fat book, 1488 pages,

I hope it doesnt win, I Can't read books that FAT. sorry :( "

Oh, Teresa! ..."

Ouch, I hate those children's classics! I couldn't even stand them as a kid... Just pick another group read...

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Jan (the Gryphon) wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "I just checked and Monte Cristo is a fat book, 1488 pages,

Well, come to that, if Classics Illustrated is still around, they did a mighty fine job. There is even a sort of scifi/goth graphic novel of it. (ARIWARA, Yura. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. vol. 1. adapt. & tr. from Japanese by Gemma Collinge. illus. by Mahiro Maeda. 224p. Del Rey. 2008. pap. $10.95. ISBN 978-0-345-50520-0.) Although I have a feeling that that will be disallowed.

message 107: by Cynthia (last edited Nov 02, 2009 01:39PM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments I'm going to go ahead and say that no abridged versions of the books will be allowed for this task.

message 108: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) THANK YOU CYNTHIA!

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Cynthia wrote: "I'm going to go ahead and say that no abridged versions of the boos will be allowed for this task."

Gee, Cynthia, you just cut off all my smart aleck remarks I was going to make. I guess it's back to being good and catching up on reading library books that are due back in the next couple days.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) okay looks like we got a race in cat 1, they are tied,

cat 2 one book is ahead by one

cat 3 one book is ahead by two

go vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! change your vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but whatever you do check out the race for the winner, it changes all the time. Early today it was the opposite of what it is now

message 111: by Sara ♥ (last edited Nov 02, 2009 02:45PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Donna Jo wrote: "I'd like to jump in here with a dissenting view. I read The Count for this Fall's Challenge and it druuuuug on forever. Normally, I like this kind of book, but I thought I'd never finish. It was like someone was adding pages at the back of the book while I was wading through the middle. I don't mind long books, but this one was not my cup of tea."

Yeah, there are definitely some slow parts... Parts where you're like, "Ummm... Dumas? WHAT ON EARTH DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING???" I guess that's the advantage of the audiobook. If it gets boring you can "listen" while really paying more attention to whatever else you're doing. I was driving cross-country, and DID have to exchange the book for some very upbeat music at a couple points, so to not fall asleep during the 1,036 MILES I spent on I-10. :) Overall though, I thought the book was fantastic.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "I'd like to jump in here with a dissenting view. I read The Count for this Fall's Challenge and it druuuuug on forever. Normally, I like this kind of book, but I thought I'd never ..."

Well, I did enjoy the movie with Gerard Depardieu. I had a French girl staying with me doing an exchange who wanted to see it. I was surprised my high school French was mostly adequate even without the subtitles.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Oooh, yes! I watched all of the versions I could get my hands on, and that one was great! I had to sit there and read the subtitles the whole time (I took Spanish in high school), but since I had listened to the audiobook, with all the correct French pronunciations... which helped a lot with listening to the French!

Petra I've got to say that this is one of the most interesting Polls. There's no way to predict the most popular books. They keep changing.

Angela | 370 comments I just changed two of my votes because they only had one or two votes.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Petra — I know! Each of the three polls are neck-and-neck! It could go either way for any of them!!

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Just checked the votes again, I think I am having more fun watching it change than who is going to win,

Since I went to bed and woke up Cat 1 has changed again and either one could win for Cat 2

so go vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 118: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) *subliminal message* vooote for Outlander
*out*

message 119: by Sue (new)

Sue Where do you go to see the poll count??

Petra Sue, at the top of the page, on the right, just click on "polls". It'll take you right to it.

message 121: by Sue (new)

Sue OK, Got it---Petra, Thanks for the help.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments YAY, right now of the books in the top spots, all of my picks are winning. None of them were my first choices but as the remaining top picks, they are my favorites. (Alice..., Stupidest Angel, & Princes Bride)!

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Watching the polls is an amusing past time lately. There's still time for anyone to change their votes. I know I have :P

Melissa | 60 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one logging in a couple times a day to see what's in the lead at the moment. It is a rather amusing past time right now.

message 125: by Sue (new)

Sue I have never read any of the books that are in the top pick----When does the poll end??

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Holy cow! When DOES this poll end? It's so intense!!

Melissa | 60 comments I believe it doesn't end until the 12th!

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Melissa wrote: "I'm glad I'm not the only one logging in a couple times a day to see what's in the lead at the moment. It is a rather amusing past time right now."

I so glad I am not alone with this, things have changed since I looked this morning,

cat 1 and 2 the leader is ahead by 4 points, and cat3 angel is now winning NOT christmas carol

remember go vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! change your vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! watch the vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 129: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) It is pretty exciting watching the votes change... Come on, people, vote for Outlander! It's sitting on my bookshelf taunting me!

Petra Outlander is a good book. It's too bad that we can't vote to "read a book from the Outlander series" instead of one book only. I wouldn't want to reread Outlander but would enjoy reading A Breathe Of Snow And Ashes. I'm hoping to fit it into the next Challenge somewhere.
Watching the Polls is quite interesting and I find myself checking the results a couple of times a day.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) oh no it is tied, come on princess bride we need some votes, : )

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "oh no it is tied, come on princess bride we need some votes, : ) "

I'm with you, I want Princess Bride to win!

message 133: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Petra, I'm with you. I loved Outlander, but I definitely don't want to reread it. I would love to be able to choose a book from this series. I have The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes and An Echo in the Bone waiting to be read.

Petra Lisa wrote: "Petra, I'm with you. I loved Outlander, but I definitely don't want to reread it. I would love to be able to choose a book from this series. I have The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes an..."

Sadly, there couldn't be much of a discussion happening, though, as there would be plenty of spoilers. Oh well, we'll have to fit these others into another task in the next challenge, Lisa.
It would be fun to have a discussion for those finished the series. There's a lot to talk about.

message 135: by Krista (last edited Nov 04, 2009 11:59PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Petra wrote: "Outlander is a good book. It's too bad that we can't vote to "read a book from the Outlander series" instead of one book only. I wouldn't want to reread Outlander but would enjoy reading A Breathe ..."

I've read'The Fiery Cross' for this challenge, and I'm currently in the middle of 'A Breath of Snow & Ashes' now. I had planned to work in the last book in the series (An Echo in the Bone) during this challenge, but that will have to wait until the Winter challenge. They are just honking big books, and I want to get some points for a few other tasks before time runs out in the Fall Challenge. :-)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) okay where is everyone, I can't be the only watching the polls,

cat 1 is too close to call

cat 2 is tied

cat 3 Angel ahead by 4

Petra Oh, I'm watching......it's *so* close! It's fun to check on the Polls and watch things change back and forth. Can't wait until the Polls are closed and see where it all lands.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Petra wrote: "Oh, I'm watching......it's *so* close! It's fun to check on the Polls and watch things change back and forth. Can't wait until the Polls are closed and see where it all lands. "

there you are I was beginning to think I am the only one still obsessed with this.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) cat 1 alice ahead by 4
cat 2 princess brides ahead by 4
cat 3 stupid angel winning by 4

now remember if you voted and you book is nowhere near being the top runner, go change it change the outcome of this race
and if you didnt vote yet, what are you waiting for Me and Petra need to check the closeness of the polls : )

GO VOTE GO VOTE GO VOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 140: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) cat 2 is only a 3 pt difference now...

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) now we have
cat 1 alice by 3
cat 2 princess by 4
cat 3 angel by 4

see how voting changes things : O

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments You blink and the poll scores change. This will be a fight up to the 12th. That indeed.

Btw - YAY for Angel. And AWESOME for Rebecca the underdog now tied with Alice. Gotta love underdogs.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) wow did things change from this morning

cat 1 too close to call ALice just passed Rebecca
cat 2 princess now has an 8 point lead
cat 3 too close to call Angel ONLY ahead by 1 now

message 144: by Krista (last edited Nov 09, 2009 12:25PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Teresa in Ohio wrote: "wow did things change from this morning

cat 1 too close to call ALice just passed Rebecca
cat 2 princess now has an 8 point lead
cat 3 too close to call Angel ONLY ahead by 1 now "

Now A Christmas Carol is leading by one vote in Category 3. Go Dickens, go Dickens! :-)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 246 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "cat 1 alice ahead by 4
cat 2 princess brides ahead by 4
cat 3 stupid angel winning by 4

now remember if you voted and you book is nowhere near being the top runner, go change it change the..."

can you vote more than once. Whenever I go in to the polls, it doesn't take me to the voting, it takes me to the results.

thanks!

Krista (kristac) | 50 comments

"can you vote more than once. Whenever I go in to the polls, it doesn't take me to the voting, it takes me to the results. "

At the bottom of each category, it says "change your vote" If you click there, you can change your vote.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments You can NOT vote more than once... That would make this voting even MORE crazy!!

Slayermel | 46 comments You only get one vote, but members can change their vote if their book is no where near winning, allowing them to vote for their favourite of the winners.
I think that has been part of the fun! Which is why it's been such a close race :0)

message 149: by Krista (last edited Nov 09, 2009 02:02PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Sara ♥ wrote: "You can NOT vote more than once... That would make this voting even MORE crazy!!"

You're right, you can't make more than one selection for each category. BUT, you can change your vote in each category as many times as you'd like.

Petra Oh my goodness....I just went from 3 choices back down to 1 choice......someone, quick, vote for Angel!

This is exciting. The voting is crazy!