A History of Royals discussion

Archive - English Royalty > English Royal Houses

Comments (showing 1-50 of 96) (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (last edited Oct 20, 2009 05:25AM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Feel free to start any topics in this folder regarding any period of English Royalty.

A list of the British Royal Houses throughout history:
1 House of Mercia
2 House of Wessex
3 House of Denmark
4 House of Wessex (restored)
5 House of Normandy
6 House of Plantagenet
6.1 Angevins
6.2 House of Lancaster
6.3 House of York
6.4 House of Lancaster (restored)
6.5 House of York (restored)
7 House of Tudor
8 House of Stuart
8.1 Commonwealth
8.2 House of Stuart (restored)

The Kingdom of Great Britain was formed on 1 May 1707 with the merger of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland, which had been in personal union under the House of Stuart since 24 March 1603. On 1 January 1801 Great Britain merged with the Kingdom of Ireland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

1.1 House of Stuart
1.2 House of Hanover
1.3 House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
1.4 House of Windsor

message 2: by Carla (new)

Carla Nayland | 36 comments Do some of the other early English royal dynasties count? E.g., Northumbria (and its constituent parts), Kent, etc.

Where do Brittonic/Welsh dynasties go, e.g. Powys, Gwynedd? Is there a section for them somewhere that I haven't found yet?

message 3: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

I'd say everything counts in this group :)

What I posted earlier was something I found quickly on Wikipedia but I'm sure it's not complete. If anyone can add to it that would be great!

message 4: by Carla (new)

Carla Nayland | 36 comments The fifth/sixth/seventh centuries in particular have an awful lot of small kingdoms in the area that's now England, often very sketchily recorded, which gradually get reshuffled and recombined and split up and taken over by each other in various combinations. By about the eighth/ninth century it starts to settle down into a more manageable number, just in time for the Vikings to arrive and stir it all up again :-) It would probably be far too complicated to try to list them all.

What about adding Northumbria (one of the Big Three along with Wessex and Mercia) and then having a catch-all "Other" category.

message 5: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Carla wrote: "The fifth/sixth/seventh centuries in particular have an awful lot of small kingdoms in the area that's now England, often very sketchily recorded, which gradually get reshuffled and recombined and ..."

I'm not sure where it goes. Do you mind copying my original list and adding it in the proper place? I'm liable to get it all messed it :D

message 6: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1546 comments Mod
Carla - have you read the Brothers Gwynnedd quartet. I just got a copy a while ago and am hoping to read it in 2010 sometime.

message 7: by Tisha (last edited Oct 27, 2009 07:38AM) (new)

Tisha | 39 comments For any other Margaret George fans out there...I was happy to see she is currently working on a book about Elizabeth I.

From her website:
I am currently working on a novel about Elizabeth I in the latter part of her reign. Recently historians have been calling it almost a second reign, very different from the first reign, a sort of film noir version of the earlier one, with a whole new cast of characters and a fin de siecle feeling to it. I am enjoying exploring this idea, which has barely been hinted at in other books and movies. Those tend to focus on the Essex episode, but only as a romance and not as a symptom of something deeper.

And, of course, much of what we think of as "The Elizabethan Age" really did not get underway until near the end of her reign: the theatre, the colonies in the New World, and the brilliant writers---Shakespeare, Marlowe, Donne, Spenser, and Jonson. It certainly is a time that deserves its own special treatment.

message 8: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Thanks Tisha! I'll definitely be getting that one!

message 9: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 125 comments I am so excited Tisha!

message 10: by Maii (new)

Maii (MaiiTA) i'm so excited..i love the english royalty..especially the house of tudor

message 11: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Oh Myosh, you'll fit right it :)

message 12: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments I feel rather silly being here, you all know so much and I feel like I dont, but I have a great interest in English Royalty... I also do love the current Queen and I think that she is very much misunderstood... I just like going through the "family tree" and reading bits about everyone...
Also like the Tudors, I do especially like Catherine of Aragon.

message 13: by Maii (new)

Maii (MaiiTA) catherine's story is very tragic..henry shouldn't have treated her the way he did.
my favourite is Queen Elizabeth I..i love her personality and how she always wanted to prove that she can stay unmarried and rule an entire kingdome with no one's help!

message 14: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments I know, her story is remarkable, especially when you look at who her mother was, Anne always needed men to get where she was, and her daughter is so opposite...

Yes, Catherine's story is tragic, but beautiful at the same time, did you know that many of the people of England during that time still saw her as the true Queen, even when Henry married 6 women

message 15: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Niecole wrote: "I feel rather silly being here, you all know so much and I feel like I dont, but I have a great interest in English Royalty... I also do love the current Queen and I think that she is very much mis..."

Don't feel silly! We all have different levels of knowledge and I know there are tons of people who know A LOT more than I do! And we all started out knowing nothing ;)

message 16: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Thanks :)
That does make me feel better...
You know, I wish to go to England one day and I want to see the changing of the guards and I badly wish to see the Queen come out and wave. I think she's remarkable, being a leader from such a very young age. I read somewhere that she does have strange beliefs in things, like not crying at a funeral and she comes accross as being cold, but its because her grandmother was German and she had a great influence on Elizabeth.

I'm currently reading The White Queen, and I like it this far... with some of Gregory's other books I was very disapointed.

message 17: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

I can't wait till the day I make it to England! I've never been a big fan of E2 but that changed a little when I saw the movie, The Queen. I gained a bit more respect for her. And I am pretty excited because she's coming here (I live in Halifax, NS) on the 28th and I'd be incredibly happy to have a chance to see her. The last time I saw any of the royal family, it was Charles & Diana... but I was 2 and don't remember. Mom says Diana waved to me in my stroller though :)

message 18: by Carla (new)

Carla Nayland | 36 comments Lyn M wrote: "Carla - have you read the Brothers Gwynnedd quartet. I just got a copy a while ago and am hoping to read it in 2010 sometime. "

I'm just re-reading them in the new Sourcebooks edition, and they are as good as they were the first time round. I have reviews up of Sunrise in the West (http://carlanayland.blogspot.com/2010...) and The Dragon at Noonday (http://carlanayland.blogspot.com/2010...) so far. Sourcebooks started a blog tour for the first one (Sunrise), and the other reviews are all linked at the end of my review, so you can click round the links and see what other people thought of it.

message 19: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Niecole wrote: "I feel rather silly being here, you all know so much and I feel like I dont, but I have a great interest in English Royalty... I also do love the current Queen and I think that she is very much mis..."

Neicole - Don't feel silly - As Jennifer said, we all started out knowing nothing, and in fact, there are several dynasties listed here that I know absolutely nothing about, so feel at home. Ask questions, suggest books, let us know how you feel about what you read. We are looking forward to hearing more!

message 20: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I can't wait till the day I make it to England! I've never been a big fan of E2 but that changed a little when I saw the movie, The Queen. I gained a bit more respect for her. And I am pretty excit..."

What a great story, Jennifer. I always knew you were special! I want to get to England some day, also.

message 21: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Lyn M wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I can't wait till the day I make it to England! I've never been a big fan of E2 but that changed a little when I saw the movie, The Queen. I gained a bit more respect for her. And ..."

Heehee Thanks Lyn :)

message 22: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Oh I'm so glad someone wants to go to England as badly as I do...
I live in South Africa, so I dont know when she'll ever visit us again. But I do think the Princes are currently here for the World Cup.

I do think people misunderstand the Queen. But I've read a little about her, and I really think she is great. If you think, she was one of only two girl, she was bound to be Queen after her father, and then she became Queen at such a young age. Remarkable...

I'm reading The White Queen at the moment, anyone read it before?

message 23: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I have a copy of it, but unfortunately, the books I own usually take a back seat to library books, and I just don't seem to be able to stop checking out books, so I am not sure when I will get to it, lol.

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina Niecole wrote: "Oh I'm so glad someone wants to go to England as badly as I do...
I live in South Africa, so I dont know when she'll ever visit us again. But I do think the Princes are currently here for the Worl..."

Hi Niecole, I've read The White Queen--if I remember right, it was just okay for me. But it did spark a new interest in the Plantagenets, specifically Richard and the Princes in the Tower--and anything that sparks a new area of interest in me gets a thumbs up. What are you thinking of it so far?

message 25: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments I know wht you mean Tina...
I havent really thought much about the "other" royalty in the past, but it did spark an interest, so much that I'm studying the Royal Family Tree a bit to see where what goes...

Philippa Gregory sometimes missfires with her books, I read The Other Boylen Girl and it was great, and then I read some of her other work and I couldnt get myself to finish it, it was really just uninteresting

message 26: by Lennie (new)

Lennie (wwwgoodreadscomprofileLennie) | 10 comments Jennifer thanks for sharing that cute story with us! Since Diana waved to you, you'll be this groups claim-to-fame! How many other groups can brag that their moderator was waved to by a member of the royal family? :)
PS Count me in as another person who would love to visit England.

message 27: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 174 comments Jennifer, England is great!! I want to go back so badly. I fell in love with London. It's cool that Diana waved to you!! Wave to the Queen for all of us!! I too don't know that much about her, but she seems like an interesting person.

message 28: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Oh my biggest dream is to drink tea with the Queen, hehe... (and if that ever ever happens in my wildest dreams I'll tell her all about our group here on GoodReads :))

message 29: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Lennie wrote: "Jennifer thanks for sharing that cute story with us! Since Diana waved to you, you'll be this groups claim-to-fame! How many other groups can brag that their moderator was waved to by a member of..."

LOL Too funny ;)

My sister called me yesterday and said 'Ohmygod, you're going to be soooo jealous! Guess who was just standing 10 feet away from me... the Queen & her husband!' And of course, I was a little jealous. She couldn't care less about the royal family!

message 30: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Oh how lucky!
I watch some documentaries about her and watch the people give her posies, and I wish I could give her some beautiful flowers and she'd tell me how lovely they are... hehe but thats just a dream.

What other royals do you admire Jennifer?

message 31: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Mostly all of them! I loved Diana and I hope that William gets the crown and not his father and my favorite Tudor Queens were AB and Elizabeth. But overall, if there's something to be learned about any of the royals, throughout history and around the world, it's interesting to me. Although I'm not big on reading about the wars, etc. I love all the court intrigue :)

message 32: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Oh I know what you mean.
Even now, I watch documentaries about Elizabeth II and everything she does is so wonderful to me.
How her paper gets ironed every morning so that non of the ink will get onto her hands. How she likes to be seated when there are special dinners, what flavours she prefers, and yet, she has stopped many of the older traditions, so you can just imagine what it was all like back then!

To be a lady in waiting would have been very interesting I think

message 33: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Jennifer - I, too, hope that William gets the crown next and not Charles. He has never impressed me.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 226 comments Frankly, it would not surprise me. There's a fair amount of longevity in that family - and in the queen's case, reinforced (her mother lived to what, 101?).

And it's happened before in the British line - George III was George II's grandson.

message 35: by Lennie (new)

Lennie (wwwgoodreadscomprofileLennie) | 10 comments I would like to see William get the crown too. I hate though how the press has been pressuring him and his girlfriend, Kate Middleton, to get married. I wish the media would leave those two alone so they could live their lives in peace. (I really liked Diana so I guess I come across as protective of William.)

message 36: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Hehe...
I think most people would agree with you all, and in a way so would I, but I do feel sorry for Charles. I would have liked to see him become King if Diana was still alive and they were still happy... But now that he has Camilla, I dont want to see her on any throne.

Lennie, I agree, people should stop pestering the two of them, its bad enough having to date with the whole world watching you. And the press even hounds poor Harry and Chelsey, talking about how they break up and make up, thats enough to put strain on any kind of relationship

message 37: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Niecole wrote: "Oh I know what you mean.
Even now, I watch documentaries about Elizabeth II and everything she does is so wonderful to me.
How her paper gets ironed every morning so that non of the ink will get ..."

I didn't know about her paper getting ironed... isn't that a bit much? lol

message 38: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Haha well I'd love it if someone would iron my paper, then the ink from the paper doesnt transfer to you hands, but she's not the only one, the Princes papers get ironed as well :)

message 39: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

I suppose I would too, just to say it was done :oP

message 40: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Exactly... I mean can you just think of all the cool stuff that gets done for her, and if she's not satisfied she just turns away or something?

Like the cream on a scone, if its not perfect she can refuse it lol

message 41: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments I read in our local newspaper today that the Queen has to tighten her belt with the budget as well because of recession

message 42: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

No more ironed paper? ;)

message 43: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Haha I guess just one for the whole castle then :)

message 44: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

LOL!

message 45: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments I wonder on what other stuff she'll cut back on?
Maybe no more new hats and outfits

message 46: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

I found an interesting article about it...

It was revealed this week that in the last financial year the Queen spent $69 million - not including the costs of Royal security which are kept secret. Money is spent on official functions, salaries for the Queen's 1,200 staff, palace maintenance and travel. The Royal train for instance, was used 19 times in 2009 with taxpayers shelling out an average $100,000 for each journey.

Can I have this job!? Please!! Anyone?? I only need one bedroom... or a closet, really...

"There's someone who lives rent free with two bedrooms, one reception room and their sole job is to look after the royal library,"

And this is a little ironic...

This year, there was a jarring feeling for some as the watched the Queen lead the procession during the official state opening of the UK parliament. Words of austerity were spilling from a woman wearing a $250,000 million worth of jewels. "My government's legislative program will be based upon the principles of freedom fairness and responsibility," she said.
"The first priority is to reduce the deficit and restore economic growth." Outside Buckingham Palace a group of protesters angry about cuts to the public service called for the Queen to lead by example.

For the full article: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/20...

message 47: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Well, if you want that job then I'll fight you for it haha... Just think of all the rare volumes there should be in that Royal Library!!!!!

Oh and I think the Queen is leading by example when she is cutting back on costs and making it public, I think good for her.

Not to sound strange, but $69million doesnt sound so much when you see what gets paid with it then... I thought it would be more

message 48: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (last edited Jul 07, 2010 04:46AM) (new)

I do agree that the Queen leading by example is excellent, but $250,000 million worth of jewels isn't a great way to do it. Does that number sound too high to be real to anyone else? Two hundred and fifty thousand million... wow...

And it doesn't sound strange about the $69 million... that sort of surprised me too.

I figure we'll all be fighting for that position!

message 49: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 160 comments Well did they ever considder that those are crown jewels perhaps that are given down from generation to generation? If it is then I wouldnt mind, because she didnt buy them. I think she must have loads of jewels that use to belong to all sorts of Royals.

Yes that ammount sounds way to little! I think some municipalities in South Africa give out more than that, and they dont have wonderful dinners and things like she does...

Ah the life of a librarian hey?

message 50: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

And the most important librarian in the world! lol
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/mic...
I think I just drooled a little...

Now I'm on sites checking out the jewels... why do I torture myself this way?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch (other topics)
The Real Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II (other topics)
The Kingmaker's Daughter (other topics)
The Sunne in Splendour (other topics)
The Wars of the Roses (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sharon Kay Penman (other topics)
Alison Weir (other topics)
Posie Graeme-Evans (other topics)
Susan Higginbotham (other topics)