The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Greetings. New to the group and new to goodreads

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremiah (last edited Oct 18, 2009 02:23PM) (new)

Jeremiah Cain (Jeremiah_Cain) | 16 comments Like I said in the topic title, I'm new. I actually found this site because one of my yahoo groups said they'd moved here, so I decided to check it out.

My name is Jeremiah, and until resonantly, I lived in Atlanta. My favorite genre is dark fantasy although, strangely, my favorite writer is Chuck Palahniuk. I am about to start reading A Game of Thrones because someone told me it was similar to my own book. I won't go into my book in this thread, but I will say I have sample chapters on my profile if you're interested.

Good to meet all of you. Hopefully, I can find some really good books to read through this site.

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Hi Jeremiah, welcome to Goodreads and welcome to TNBBC!

You'll find LOADS of good books through this site and in this group. My reading list and TBR has expanded somewhat since joining here a year ago.

It's great to always have a place to talk about books, and because of the way it is there's usually at least one other person who has read the book you're reading so there's always the opportunity to talk about it, which often you don't get to do on such a grand scale.

I hope you love it here as much as I do.

message 3: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments Hello Jeremiah, and welcome to the group! TNBBC is a great, friendly group, and many members have some wonderful book recommendations.

You wrote your own book? Awesome. I'm sure it's great.

message 4: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cain (Jeremiah_Cain) | 16 comments Yeah, I've already added one book to my TBR list from this group, and I'm sure many more will follow. I love the movie Rebecca, but I've never read the book. I saw it is what the group is currently reading, so I'll have to pick it up.

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (SilversReviews) | 154 comments REBECCA is AWESOME.....I loved that book.

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9321 comments Mod
Hi Jeremiah. Welcome to the group! Yeah for yahoo moving here, and helping you find a great new booksite! Beware, we will heavily influence your reading tastes, and wallet!!!!

message 7: by Jeremiah (last edited Oct 20, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Jeremiah Cain (Jeremiah_Cain) | 16 comments I'm looking through all the threads in this group and it overwhelming. I'm not sure where to begin. I love all the shots of the book collections. With all my moving around, I don't have as many as I should, but I'll take a picture of my shelf when I get it presentable. ...if ever. :)

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Don't worry about overwhelming, it is at first but after a while things kinda get into place. You can't read every topic and trust me I have tried - hours of your day suddenly fly by!

I like the general book banter folder best and checking the 'what are you reading' topic in me and my books a good way to find out what people are reading and to give people encouragement or cheer when you see one of your favourite books is being read!

The recommendation folder is a good place to pick up books...

message 9: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cain (Jeremiah_Cain) | 16 comments Thanks for the input. It sounds like a good place to start.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Welcome to the best book club group on goodreads, Jeremiah!

XD
Yes, I am biased.

message 11: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) Welcome to the group, Jeremiah!

message 12: by Jeremiah (last edited Oct 20, 2009 07:51PM) (new)

Jeremiah Cain (Jeremiah_Cain) | 16 comments Thanks, you've all been really friendly. ...well, I guess "all" would include 5,000 people, which would be quite a lot of friendliness to bestow upon me all at once.

I should say, everyone I've come in contact with thus far has been really friendly. :) I'm really liking the group.

message 13: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9321 comments Mod
Thanks Jeremiah. That means alot to me and the other members! Happy to hear that you are happy :)

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 358 comments Welcome, Jeremiah! Have you read anything by Natsuo Kirino? I recommend Out, also you might like Real World. I don't read a LOT of dark fiction but I would consider Kirino's work to be pretty dark!

message 15: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cain (Jeremiah_Cain) | 16 comments Mary wrote: "Welcome, Jeremiah! Have you read anything by Natsuo Kirino? I recommend Out, also you might like Real World. I don't read a LOT of dark fiction but I woul..."

Thanks. I don't normally read mysteries, but Out sounds like something I'd really like. I think it'll be my next purchase. I might read Real World if I like the first, but it didn't really jump out at me the same way.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Game of Thrones (other topics)
Real World (other topics)
Out (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chuck Palahniuk (other topics)
Natsuo Kirino (other topics)