Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > Question from the last couple of books (may contain spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 61) (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB I believe in All Together Dead, Sookie may have been able to hear vampire's thoughts.

Do you think that she will gain this ability -- now that she's shared all that Eric blood post-fairy incident in Dead & Gone?

I was wondering what people think :)

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I think if she starts picking up vamps regularly she's going to try hard to hide the skill. She certainly doesn't want the vamps to know she can, not even a little, sometimes, by accident.

message 3: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) So far, she's caught brief glimpses of Eric and Stan. She hadn't shared blood with either character at the time of reading, but she had had copious amounts of Bill's blood before each instance--maybe that amped up her power?

I'm guessing it's something Charlaine might build on later...otherwise, why mention it? But it does kill me that it's happened infrequently and we still don't know the reason why!

I'm thinking that now that she's closely tied to Eric, she may gain the ability to hear him more often.

I was surprised that it didn't happen during Dead to the World with all the time they spent together. I can't fathom the "why" of it. Why Eric and Stan and no one else? Why could she read them in those moments and not in others?

She'll definitely keep it a secret! But if she spends more time with Eric and gets more glimpses, she'll have to work hard to make sure he doesn't notice!

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) Oh yeah--she'll definately keep it secret. Since the few times that a vamp has asked her if she can hear vamps thoughts, the implication is that they will rip her throat out if she says "yes". Or at least, that's what SHE thinks. She's even mentioned a time or two that she has to keep the 2 times she's "heard" a vamp quiet.

message 5: by Starling (new)

Starling She can read vampires from time to time, and she does keep it a secret. Sookie is not dumb.

message 6: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB I think I'm wondering if Charlaine will make the ability be more permanent in the forthcoming books...

message 7: by Starling (new)

Starling Now that is a very good question. It would make some real changes to what Sookie can do, wants to do, and where the plot will go. Sookie likes vampires because she likes the quiet.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) yeah--I'm thinking that maybe Harris will keep it really rare--especially since the few things that Sookie DID read weren't important. After all, if she starts getting the same "chatter" from the vamps as from humans, then what is the use in her hanging with them (at least from HER point of view.) And I think it also scares her a bit, since, as you said Star, Sookie isn't dumb, and she knows that if the vamps even suspected that she got even a hit once in a great while they'd probably kill her. Harris' vamps are nothing if not pragmatic.

message 9: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Francis | 11 comments Ok, I am seriously a Eric fan after reading Dead to the world, and became a super fan after the last book, Now, the big question, Do you think that Alan Ball will give us Eric fans what we crave? Like the SHOWER SCENE!!

message 10: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Burkhart | 10 comments Cristal that would be awesome....Alexander Skarsgard in the shower scene. (drooling at work)

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) (handing Belinda a mop and bucket) Hope you don't work with anything electronic Belinda. :o)

message 12: by Katy-Del (new)

Katy-Del I think Sookie has contemplated it being about electircal activity. Living people have a lot of things going on in the brain, but a dead brain doess't. All of the things she has heard are things that may have had a larger than normal emotional reaction. Maybe there was more of a spark and activity with those thoughts that allowed her to pick them up.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments You know I was asking my friend this the other day. I think she would be able to pick up vampire thoughts the more often she exchanges blood with a vampire and it seemed to me she was already picking up on their thoughts in "From Dead To Worse"

message 14: by CindyToo (new)

CindyToo | 107 comments I don't think she's picking up on their thoughts more, but she's reading other clues based on the knowledge she's gaining about vampires in general and each of them specifically as they become more familiar to her. At some point, Eric says something about it, thinking that she can perhaps "read" them when she has just figured something out on her own. You've just got to love our Sookie.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) She also reads the thoughts of the Arkansas vampire who survived after the slaughter in Altogether Dead during the trial, and had a glimpse of someone else when she was heading to the bathroom during the ball at the hotel in Rhodes. Sometimes, though, like at the end of the sex scene in Dead and Gone when she knew Eric was wanting to stay, I think she just intuited from his behavior.

I'm not sure if it would have such dire consequences... after all, when Eric lost his memory and then the spell was broken, she was terrified that he would have too much power over her if he knew she killed Debbie Pelt, but when she told him, he just accepted it. I don't think Eric would kill her. It would be uncomfortable for anyone, but I don't think he would kill her. Others might, of course.

message 16: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I only remembered in re-reading that she thought she'd heard Henrik and Gervaise in All Together Dead. All the drama that came after consumed me!

I believe if it came to light now, Eric would be more thoughtful about it. But had it been revealed any earlier, I think the risk it poses would've overshadowed her value and Sookie might be sleeping with the gators, or find herself in uncomfortable servitude.

But I also think he might now see it as a betrayal of sorts at first. It might damage his trust in her for a bit.

Eric, Stan, and Henrik were under stress when she heard their thoughts. Gervaise was simply thinking about how he liked people coveting his woman.

But she's been around vamps in much more emotionally explosive states and never heard them.

I can't wait to hear what the explanation is for it.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) As usual we think alike. She is keeping some big secrets from Eric, isn't she? Hmmm.

Sometimes CH's continuity drives me crazy. I guess I mean lack of continuity. Some hinty things she follows through on and some she doesn't. She's also inconsistent at times. She acknowledges it on her website.

The blood bond thing has been mentioned several times as to dire consequences... at the end of D&G she says Eric has warned her that they are dangerously close to some kind of limit. It comes up again in the first chapter of the new book Dead in the Family when Amelia warns her.

It will be interesting to see what CH does with it. But I can't help but think it would be logical for the blood bond to be a factor in vampire mind reading.

message 18: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) :)

I'd think so too. She obviously had the potential since she had glimpses before the bond was established. The increased blood intake in DaG might make it more frequent?

As for the "limit" Quinn did say in ATD that Eric could change her over easily after the bond. I'm thinking the limit is just human to vamp blood ratio?

I think ideas like the blood bond, the origin of her telepathy, and vamp mind-reading might play a role in the big finish. I don't think she'll abandon them. But it's frustrating that Sookie doesn't try to dig up info!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments Sookie doesn't really seem interested in investigating into the blood bond and she has been nonchalant about her telepathy.

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Michelle M. wrote: ":)

I'd think so too. She obviously had the potential since she had glimpses before the bond was established. The increased blood intake in DaG might make it more frequent?

As for the "limit" ..."
Yes, it is frustrating. Sometimes I'd like to smack her ;)

Jayme, I'm not sure that it's that she's not interested. I think she avoids things she doesn't want to think about.

I'm not sure what you mean about being nonchalant about her telepathy. She's always hated it and she asks Nyall if he can remove it. And she's afraid of being able to read Vampire minds.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments well nonchalant as in she doesn't try to find out more about her telepathy, where it came from, or find out more about it. She has started to use it which I am happy about.

message 22: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I know! And I find that frustrating. I want the woman to find me answers, gosh darn it!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments well and then if her telepathy doesn't come from her fairy heritage then where does it come from? CH always implies that it was from her fairy heritage. If it isn't then it raises the question is the telepathy from her human heritage or she is something else on top of human and fairy.

message 24: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) I know what you mean Jayme--it bugs me too. Just exactly WHAT does Sookie have flowing through her veins? And why isn't she more interested in finding out? And why does Haley's little boy have it, since he's even further away from Naille than Sookie is. And when will he make another appearance? Questions, questions, questions.

message 25: by Starling (new)

Starling Wherever it all came from is at Haley and Sookie's genealogical link. Basically you go back to the shared grandparent(s) and figure out what they had.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments We don't know if Headley had any telepathic powers.

message 27: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Somehow I think if she had, Sophie would have known and revealed it to Sookie during their heart-to-heart in Hadley's apartment. Supposition, of course.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments I am sure Sophie Ann would have known but I don't think she ever told Sookie that.

message 29: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jan 02, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) Sookie would have known--she knew right away with Hadley's little boy. And she knew right away with Barry the Bellboy. So no, Hadley didn't have telepathy.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments Of course Headley could have had it, Sookie hadn't seen Headley in years.

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Hadley talked to Sophie Ann about her cousin who had this ability and that's why Sophie Ann sent Bill to Bon Temps to make a liaison with her. Hadley was not telepathic.

message 32: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) Jayme, if Hadley had been telepathic, it would have shown up well before she ran away from home. Sookie knew from the time she was a tiny child, Hadley's little boy is also very young and is aware that he has it (and Sookie knew too) and Barry the Bellboy knew all his life too. So, no, I do not think that Hadley had the ability.

message 33: by Starling (new)

Starling OK, so in Hadley it was either dormant or she didn't have all of the pieces to make her telepathic. Which means that Sookie had to have gotten the pieces from more than one parent. Do you agree?

message 34: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Not necessarily. Jason and Sookie have the same parents and Jason isn't telepathic.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments but being telepathic is not a primary gene. Just because a mother who has red hair doesn't mean her child will have red hair. Red hair is the recessive gene.

message 36: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) hum, going by that theory Jayme--that means that somewhere in Hadley's hubby's family there is "something" that isn't human. oohhh, wonder what it is? (eyes gleaming at the possiblities)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments It could be, there are many possibilities.

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Well, the synopsis of #10 says another of Sookie's relatives is lurking in the woods.... dum da dumdum!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments yep and that has me curious.

message 40: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jan 05, 2010 03:58PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) yeah, me too--especially since, as far as Sookie knows, there isn't any more family. She talks about it being only her, Jason and Hadley when they were kids. Hum, now, its time to break out the family trees and try to figure out where another family member could be lurking (well, as long as its not a baby that Jason kind of "opps-ed" on.)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments i don't think it is a baby but there is always her fae relations but that portal was closed, or was it? There is always her mother's side of the family too :)

message 42: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) The portal was closed--but at least Claude is still in our realm. So there may be others. Hum, I wonder why Sookie has never mentioned anything about her mother's family???

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments maybe that is the missing link.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) Sandra wrote: "She also reads the thoughts of the Arkansas vampire who survived after the slaughter in Altogether Dead during the trial, and had a glimpse of someone else when she was heading to the bathroom duri..."

Sookie can feel what Eric feels because they have shared so much blood and they have a bond. I think in situations like that, it is the bond that is giving her the info, not the mind reading. What I wonder is, what sets Eric apart from the rest of the vamps? Because of all of the vampires, he is the one that she has picked up the most from, mentally. I wonder if he doesn't have a spark of humanity still in him that makes him easier to read. It doesn't seem likely that would be the cause, but it must be something.

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Interesting point Rachel. Maybe the blood bond makes it possible for her to read thoughts/emotions. The special thing about Eric's blood is his age and we've seen several scenes where vamps can communicate nonverbally!

message 46: by Rachel (last edited Jan 06, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) There were at least a couple of times that she did actually pick up on his thoughts before she had his blood. I wonder what that is all about.

message 47: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Rachel wrote: "There were at least a couple of times that she did actually pick up on his thoughts before she had his blood. I wonder what that is all about."

Most notable being in the first book. She hears his thoughts just before the Long Shadow incident. She hears him contemplating the best way to handle the situation now that he's mainstream. At that point, she'd only had Bill's blood.

She never ever heard Bill though!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1109 comments the series gets curiouser and curiouser :)

message 49: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) Personally I have decided that Charlaine does it just too keep US guessing. You have to admit--when you are talking about a book and trying to figure things out about a series, you are more likely to keep on buying that series than otherwise, yes?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread