Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Books,Books,Books

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joeanne (new)

Joeanne (MszMinne) Hello everyone, umm.. Well i need some new books to read so if you guys could please just make a list of good fantasy/paranormal books? then a little sentance why you recommend.

(No.spoilers please)^_^
Hi I'm New

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Oct 14, 2009 12:48PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2491 comments Mod
lol, poor Death--you have unleashed a tsunami on your head. :o)

Ok, 1 or 2 (hundred) forthcoming. :o) I'll try to list only the first book in a series. Then you can go off and hire yourself a front-end loader to carry the books home for you.

Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur A slightly different take on vamps. Gotta love that Bones.

Bitten & Smitten by Michelle Rowen if you like your blood with a little laughter, this is the series for you.

Tanya Huff has a couple of series out--all of which are excellent. First book in the 3 series that I especially like are Blood Price, Smoke and Shadows, and Summon the Keeper. She has just come out with what I think is the first book in a new series. Its called The Enchantment Emporium. The Blood books were made into a VERY short lived tv series. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808013/ this is the IMDB link to check out the series. The first 2 series are UF, the next to are humour.

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris is another good series. Again, made into a TV series on HBO. UF series

Storm Front by Jim Butcher, yet another good series made into a very short lived tv series. This is the first of the Dresden Files books. Also, I believe the first book that Butcher ever sold. Just warning you that it has all the "first book" flaws, but is still interesting. Harry is a self-admitted wizard, and has himself so listed in the Yellow Pages in (where else) Chicago. UF type books

Angela Knight has a bunch of series out, I'm not even gonna do more than list her name. :o) She tends to write darker series very much leaning towards UF.

Jeri Smith-Ready has several series also. She tends towards the UF and not the PNR side.

The Kitchen Witch by Annette Blair is the start of 2 interlocking series. She writes PNR with humour.

Blue Moon Rising by Simon R. Green is the start of a series about Fisher and Hawk. This first book was actually written AFTER the main body of work, and is nothing like the rest of the series. This was written when the 2 main characters were "young and innoucent" as it were. The remaining books are very definately UF--even if the Urban area they are in is a medieval type city.

Well, that should keep you busy for um, well, 3 or 4 weeks, maybe. :o)

message 3: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 42 comments Welcome, Death! (wow, never thought I'd actually say those words LOL!)

Big fan of urban fantasy, here. *waves* I could go on all day, but will only list a few for now:

I second Ann's suggestion of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series.

And I can highly recommend the Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance, starting with Touch the Dark.

I can't forget the Walker Papers series, by C.E. Murphy, starting with Urban Shaman.

OH! And the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead, starting with Succubus Blues. And you can't miss her Dark Swan series, starting with Storm Born.

OK I will stop here. Can you tell books are my fave subject? I thank the universe for GoodReads! :)

~Peace

message 4: by Joeanne (new)

Joeanne (MszMinne) Thnks So much can't wait to get started.

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (Jaime_Rush) | 122 comments Hi, Deathlab!

Try Terri Garey if you like ghostly stories.
Ilona Andrews (I read Magic Strikes) for well written, good characterization, though gritty and gory.

To start!

LOL on her unleashing a tsunami, Ann. That's what I was thinking, too!

message 6: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 42 comments oooo JaimeRush, the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, starting with Magic Bites, that's a good one, I totally agree! :)

And I have to add the Hunter Kiss series by Marjorie M. Liu, starting with The Iron Hunt (or even better, if you have an eReader, there is a companion novella prequel Hunter Kiss, though I'm sure it's not a necessary read, to enjoy the series).

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) Deathlab_*Creations** wrote: "Hello everyone, umm.. Well i need some new books to read so if you guys could please just make a list of good fantasy/paranormal books? then a little sentance why you recommend.

(No.spoilers ple..."

Hi! Like Ann said--you just opened up a gigantic can of worms...

Before I start bombarding you with all my favorite series, I wanted to ask you what type of books and story lines do you like. Obviously you like PNR or you wouldnt be on this thread and I saw from your book list that you liked Twilight. Are you more interested in Young Adult or do you also like adult with some steamy scenes-a lot of steamy scenes-full on erotica...

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments That's a good question, Cherra. 'Cause it looks like she might be interested more in YA.

message 9: by Joeanne (new)

Joeanne (MszMinne) i read young adult when i'm bored. i like hot- romantic stuff you know...hehehe

message 10: by I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (last edited Oct 14, 2009 04:23PM) (new)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) Deathlab_*Creations** wrote: "i read young adult when i'm bored. i like hot- romantic stuff you know...hehehe"

On the YA side of things, the following are my favorite series starters:
Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz [image error] The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

On the romantic more adult side of things, my favorite series starters with a continuous plot/cliffhangers that link the books are:
[image error] Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Mona Lisa Awakening (Monère, #1) by Sunny Lucinda, Darkly (Demon Princess Chronicles, #1) by Sunny

On the romantic adult side with a story that has a defined beginning and ending with a back story that links the books with a HEA my faves are:
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh

Hope you find something you like!

message 11: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 258 comments I was going to write about this anyway, so I can recommend to you and everyone else who likes PNR a new author, Kendra Leigh Castle and her first book, Call of the Highland Moon.
Lovely romance, delightful heroine who just happens to have great characters among her friends and family, and an absolute member of the dream fantasy group; a kind, brave, BEAUTIFUL, hunky Scotsman who just happens to be a werewolf.
Good story and exciting thriller as well. I'll be looking forward to reading her follow up books.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2491 comments Mod
Ok, I've been good and waited a few hours--time to make yet MORE suggestions. :o)

Lynsay Sands vamp series, A Quick Bite is book 1. She's up to I believe book 9 now. These are all slightly to wildly humourous. A different slant--i.e. her vamps are scientifically created--back in Atlantis, that is. They have nanobytes running around their bloodstreams which is what causes them to be vampires.

A Girl's Guide to Vampires by Katie MacAlister is another humourous vamp series. Also, while NOT PN, her book The Corset Diaries and also Blow Me Down are quite funny. (Er, now, back to PN) her other 2 series consern Dragons. You Slay Me is the first in the series, then the second series is actually a spin off from this. She also has a teen series called Got Fangs?. Only 2 books in this series, and they are a kind of spin off from the first series I mentioned.

message 13: by Joeanne (new)

Joeanne (MszMinne) thnks

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 14, 2009 09:30PM) (new)

Death, thanks for asking the question. I'm also new to goodreads and this group. I take suggestions, and there are a lot here, to heart. Now where to begin? +scratching my head+

I'm also looking for friends if anyone is interested...

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) Elyssa wrote: "Death, thanks for asking the question. I'm also new to goodreads and this group. I take suggestions, and there are a lot here, to heart. Now where to begin? +scratching my head+

I'm also looki..."

i sent u a request

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the request.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually thank you everyone for the requests. I enjoyed reading some of the reviews.

Happy Reading ;-)

message 18: by Joeanne (new)

Joeanne (MszMinne) Hey can you please send me some request kind-a lonely on the friends thing.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dead Until Dark (other topics)
The Enchantment Emporium (other topics)
Blood Price (other topics)
Full Moon Rising (other topics)
Summon the Keeper (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tanya Huff (other topics)
Keri Arthur (other topics)
Jeri Smith-Ready (other topics)