The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GENERAL HELP > Making Reading Challenges Easier!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 66) (66 new)    post a comment »

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 4 comments I was spending a lot of money trying to keep up with all the book challenge/reading clubs I'm in so I invested in ebooks. Many of them, mostly classics, can be downloaded for free but if they aren't free they are cheaper than the bookstore prices. My fav site is booksonboard.com; I recommend it to anyone looking to go from bad for the environment space taking paperbacks to the less expensive ebooks! I've gotten a lot more reading done on my ereader and computer as well. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Amy (signgirlamy) I've gotten a lot of free books on my Kindle, and I've fit those into a bunch of tasks. The even better thing about free books is that I've found so many new series that I really like from getting the first book free.

Sera I echo Amy's sentiments in regard to Kindle. I became hooked on Kate Brian's Private series this way.

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 4 comments I'm also book ADD; I like reading several at a time but I am not strong enough (nor have enough space in my purse) to carry multiple books so I like the fact they can hold hundreds.

Ereaders are becoming more and more light weight too, it's incredible that some of the the lightest readers right now are just a few ounces and can fit in your pocket!

I heard Microsoft and Apple arecoming out with some kind of "tablet" where you can read, do work, take notes, internet, etc. I wonder if that will be popular for everyone. So much new technology coming out!

Patricia | 401 comments Amy wrote: "I've gotten a lot of free books on my Kindle, and I've fit those into a bunch of tasks. The even better thing about free books is that I've found so many new series that I really like from getting ..."

How do you get free books for your Kindle? Is it through Amazon or a different site (like booksonboard.com which MC mentioned)? Thanks.

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 4 comments Kindle is limited because Amazon wants a monopoly on it (you can pretty much only download books from Amazon to it and they can take them back from you after you have purchased them which they have done in the past to people). But if you search ebooks on Google there are tons of sites where you can download free samples of full books, you just have to check and make sure they are compatible with your reader. I like booksonboard.com because they have tons of different formats to choose from (mobipocket, adobe, ereader, etc).

I think classics and books where nobody owns the rights to them anymore because they are all dead, should be free to everyone. Many readers come with a bunch of free books now too. The Cybook Opus and Sony PRS 300 pocket edition are my fav readers right now. The Aztec looks like it's pretty awesome as well.

Amy (signgirlamy) Amazon's website has a lot of them for free. You can usually find them on the Kindle bestseller list.

Patricia | 401 comments Thanks guys! I have the Kindle and haven't really mastered any other sites than Amazon. I downloaded to my laptop a few free titles from Project Gutenberg but never figured out if I could transfer them to my Kindle. I'll have to look into it further. It makes sense that Amazon would want to make as much money as they can and not encourage free ebooks from other sites. At least their ebooks are usually cheaper than the hard copies. . . I'll have to look for the free ones. That's easier than remembering to return my library books!

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 921 comments Sera wrote: "I echo Amy's sentiments in regard to Kindle. I became hooked on Kate Brian's Private series this way."

OMG, Private is like my favorite! I love my Kindle, but I am so pathetic about the Kindle series, I buy it on both. I can't even explain why it is my favorite! I just love it so much!!!

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Any pdf, word documents, mp3s, uuuh there's a whole list of files that can be put on your Kindle. It's quite simple, honestly. There's an USB plug to transfer files *OR* you can send it to your Kindle's email address.

If you go to Amazon.com there's a Kindle help page that'll give you step by step instructions.

Bluemoon (Bluemoon286) | 1031 comments Do they have audio books on any of the sites? I can't afford a Kindle right now but if I could get audio I could download them onto my phone and listen to them in my car. I use the library quite a bit and can get alot of good titles from them also.

message 12: by Krista (last edited Oct 16, 2009 09:00AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Stephanie wrote: "Do they have audio books on any of the sites? I can't afford a Kindle right now but if I could get audio I could download them onto my phone and listen to them in my car. I use the library quite a ..."

Hey Stephanie: I'm not sure if your library provides this service, but recently (about 6 months ago) my library joined a website that provides free audiobooks for downloading/checking out. I think the site my library uses is 'Library To Go'. I've used it a few times. Some books you have to wait for, and some --- like the classics are always available. I load up my MP3 player with a couple of books before I go on a trip. It's pretty cool, and best of all it's free! Hopefully your library has the same service.

Bluemoon (Bluemoon286) | 1031 comments Thanks Krista. I will look into it. I know that a friend of mine downloaded some stuff through the library but it was temporary. When she went to listen to the book it had disappeared from her computer. I could always check out the audio books and put them on my phone via the computer. I haven't had time to try that yet.

Kay (Neenamara) | 74 comments Stephanie wrote: "Do they have audio books on any of the sites? I can't afford a Kindle right now but if I could get audio I could download them onto my phone and listen to them in my car. I use the library quite a ..."

I've been downloading from audible.com for a few years now, and while they aren't free, they're A LOT cheaper than buying audiobooks on cd! Especially if you can afford to get one of their subscription plans. When I had a yearly plan, I think it averaged out to about $14 per audiobook (unabridged, of course).

I can't afford the Kindle either, so I generally just tell everyone how much more esthetically pleasing paper books are and then sulk when no one's looking ;)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2696 comments Kristina wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Do they have audio books on any of the sites? I can't afford a Kindle right now but if I could get audio I could download them onto my phone and listen to them in my car. I use th..."

Kristina, I can't afford the Kindle either--I keep dropping hints to my relatives around gift-giving time, but it hasn't helped. Of course, the fact that they are all as poor as I am might have something to do with it!

message 16: by Usako (last edited Oct 19, 2009 06:59AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments There's always the group gift or going halfsies! I did that with a couple of expensive items. I told my family if they put up half together, I'll put up the rest and it'll be my holiday gift (to self and from them).

Current Prices
Kindle (US Wireless) - 259
Kindle (US & International Wireless) - 279
Kindle DX (US Wireless) - 489

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 4 comments The Sony PRS 300 is only 199, much less than the Kindle and you can download more ebooks from different sites (rather than just Amazon).

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 228 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Kristina wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Do they have audio books on any of the sites? I can't afford a Kindle right now but if I could get audio I could download them onto my phone and listen to them in..."

You will get the Kindle with the Round-the-World-Trip when I win the lottery.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2696 comments Jan (the Gryphon) wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Kristina wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Do they have audio books on any of the sites? I can't afford a Kindle right now but if I could get audio I could download them onto my phone and ..."
I'd get it quicker if you just save the lottery money and buy the reader--of whatever brand! But as you buy lottery tickets about as often as I do (as in practically never) I'm not holding my breath.

Sally | 49 comments For audiobooks, I've started using LibriVox which has classics and whatnot recorded by volunteers. Similar to what you would find for free on something like Stanza or the others folks have mentioned above. For other books and official audiobooks, I'm going to start using Audible as somebody already recommended.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 921 comments You can actually put books on the Kindle from other sites. A lot of them have a Kindle option.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments From the Kindle Support Site:

Can I download without wireless?
Yes. You can download content from your computer via the USB cable when you're outside the wireless coverage area.

Kindle Recognizes
You can purchase and wirelessly download Kindle books, newspapers, magazines and blogs from the Kindle Store as well as download and read other types of non-DRM text-based content on your Kindle. You can also play Audible audiobooks or MP3 files. When your Kindle is connected to a computer and mounted as a USB drive, you will see three default directories or folders. Here's a list of the directories and the file types recognized by Kindle:

Documents: Kindle (.AZW, .AZW1). Text (.TXT), Unprotected Mobipocket (.MOBI, .PRC)
Audible: Audible (.AA, .AAX)
Music: MP3 (.MP3)

Personal Documents
Kindle's Personal Document Service (via Whispernet) allows you to e-mail the following approved file types to your Kindle's e-mail address:

Microsoft Word (.DOC)
Structured HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
RTF (.RTF)
JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
GIF (.GIF)
PNG (.PNG)
BMP (.BMP)
PDF (.PDF) is supported natively by Kindle DX and by Kindle in our experimental category
Microsoft Word (.DOCX) is supported in our experimental category.
The above file types can also be combined in a compressed ZIP (.ZIP) file. ZIP files are automatically opened up by the conversion service, converted to the Kindle format, and sent to your Kindle or computer as specified.

So if your file fits the categories above, you CAN download it to your Kindle. Best bet is to email to your kindle e-mail address, download to your computer and then transfer via USB. Using the whispernet technology for other (non-Amazon) files, requires a fee which is why the support page on Amazon.com refers to the method I mentioned above.

Amber (librarianatthelake) Krista,

My library system looked into the site you mentioned but with our budget cuts, we just couldn't come up with the price they wanted to be members.
I think it is an awesome feature to have. I just started really getting into audios myself and this would be great if we could use it. Right now there is only 2 or 3 libraries in our state that have. Bummer.

Amber (librarianatthelake) I have an iPod touch and I've been able to download books to it using iceberg reader off of iTunes. They have several apps on there for downloading books (and audios). I've found some really cheap ones but I've also found some that cost as much as buying the hardback copy.
I've used this to read books at work or in the car while we are going somewhere(I obviously am not driving while reading), and in bed so not to wake hubby.
Just another option for those who have an iPod. There are also free books to download also.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Amber, there's going to be an iPod touch app for the new Barnes & Noble's e-reads "Nook". The biggest difference tween the two e-readers is Nook offers to LOAN books for 14 days to family and friends. Now to me that is FANTASTIC!

Amber (librarianatthelake) Tanja,

That is fantastic. I'll have to keep my eye on that.
thanks

Amy (signgirlamy) Tanja wrote: "Amber, there's going to be an iPod touch app for the new Barnes & Noble's e-reads "Nook". The biggest difference tween the two e-readers is Nook offers to LOAN books for 14 days to family and frien..."

I am already obsessed with the nook. I think my dad and I are getting them for Christmas. Definitely looks like the coolest ebook reader on the market :)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Absolutely it looks like the coolest. My only hesitation involves the "search" capability since I never saw a touch keyboard AND the "note" taking capability like the Kindle has. What I may end up doing is get the app for the iPod Touch...if I buy the Touch for Xmas. Debating in all honesty since I already have a Kindle but the LOAN feature nags at me. I would LOVE to loan my books to friends!

message 29: by Krista (last edited Oct 23, 2009 12:34AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Amber wrote: "Krista,

My library system looked into the site you mentioned but with our budget cuts, we just couldn't come up with the price they wanted to be members.
I think it is an awesome feature to have. ..."

Hi Amber: I'm sorry to hear your library doesn't have that service! I guess I should be more grateful for it here. I live in a small town, and the library is fairly small, but it is part of a county wide library system that makes interlibrary loans between the different branches very simple. I'm reviewing my account online just about daily to see if my books in the hold queue have progressed any. :-)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 921 comments Tanja wrote: "Absolutely it looks like the coolest. My only hesitation involves the "search" capability since I never saw a touch keyboard AND the "note" taking capability like the Kindle has. What I may end up ..."

The thing about loaning books to friends is that they would have to have the reader as well. I would love for Kindle to have this feature, but the only people I know with Kindle are on Goodreads...

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Kathryn -- Which could be fun since I've noticed many on GR like to book swap.

Leora | 214 comments Someone probably already noted these but I have used dailylit.com for quite a few books recently, ibiblio.com and gutenberg.org are awesome too.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 921 comments Tanja wrote: "Kathryn -- Which could be fun since I've noticed many on GR like to book swap."

That would be a lot of fun. I am a member of the Kindle group here... maybe the nook can create a group and you guys can ask about books and swap and stuff like that...

Amy (signgirlamy) Kathryn wrote: "Tanja wrote: "Absolutely it looks like the coolest. My only hesitation involves the "search" capability since I never saw a touch keyboard AND the "note" taking capability like the Kindle has. What..."

They can also have the B&N app on iPhone or iPod so they don't even have to have the actual nook

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 921 comments Amy wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Tanja wrote: "Absolutely it looks like the coolest. My only hesitation involves the "search" capability since I never saw a touch keyboard AND the "note" taking capability like the ..."

Oh, that is an idea... I love my Kindle!!! I am sure that it will have to update itself upon this release from Nook! I can't wait to see what they will do to make it that much better!

Sera I agree, Kathryn. This spurt of innovation in regard to e-readers can only benefit all of us who have adopted this approach. It's a great time to be an avid reader :)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 921 comments I know... though lately I have had this thing about reading books... especially ones with pretty covers. It doesn't really make sense. My Kindle stopped working and I had to get a replacement and it is like some switch in my head went off. I just need to reconnect with my Kindle. hehehe, re-kindle my love. Okay, now it is obvious I haven't slept that much!

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 240 comments barnes and nobles has a new one out called NOOK which actually sounds a lot like the kindle, but cheaper. I would love to get them since I also like to read a lot of books at one time. I'm not sure if it is like the kindel where you can only order them from B&N or from other places, but worth checking out

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 921 comments Tracey wrote: "barnes and nobles has a new one out called NOOK which actually sounds a lot like the kindle, but cheaper. I would love to get them since I also like to read a lot of books at one time. I'm not sure..."

Actually, the Nook isn't cheaper, both the Kindle and the Nook are $259. Additionally, you can get Kindle books from other places and upload them by connecting your Kindle to your comp or emailing it to your kindle email address. There is a Kindle group here on Goodreads that lists some places that other Kindle users go to get books. The only real pro I can see is that you can lend books with the nook and you can't with the Kindle. I am confident that that will soon be rectified. I am concerned about the lack of keyboard on the Nook. I use the keyboard all of the time on Kindle.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 921 comments Oh, other plus I noticed on Nook is the wifi.

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 240 comments I didn't realize the kindle went down that much in price. Last year the kindle 2 ran for $500 glad it's cheaper now.
yeah the wifi with the Nook sounds neat!

Jessy (JessyCFischer) You can get on the internet some with the kindle. It is limited but it is there.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 921 comments Jessy wrote: "You can get on the internet some with the kindle. It is limited but it is there."

I never do it because I am not sure if it costs extra... do you know if it does?

Jessy (JessyCFischer) No it does not cost any extra.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Whispernet on the Kindle is available anywhere there's a Sprint connection-feed. I haven't had trouble d/l books EXCEPT in the underground. But that's a known situation for all cellphone users :P

Donna Jo Atwood | 2696 comments Hooray, I was just gifted with a Sony Reader. I am loading it up with Winter Challenge books--well, some of them. It will be interesting to try it out.

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 240 comments my folks are getting me either the kindel or the nook for my birthday and I'm trying to decide. I like the wifi and lending feature of the nook, but i like the text to speech feature of the kindle. Plus, I hate having to plug things into my computer to D/L does the kindle make you do that to get the books onto it, or is it all wireless also?

Any opinions?

Patricia | 401 comments I don't know much about the Nook but I have the Kindle and love it. And yes, the Kindle is wireless. Good luck with your choice.

Rachael | 23 comments I love my kindle. There is nothing better than snuggling up in a blanket while laying down and having the kindle stick out of the blanket. I am not sure of the weight of the Nook, but the Kindle is only 10 oz so you can hold it many ways without your arms getting tired.

Beth NC (BethNC) | 608 comments A friend of mine has a Blackberry and he has downloaded thousands of books to his computer and then transfers them to his Blackberry to read. I have thought about doing that, but I have to admit, I am very attached to my books and there is just something about the feel of them that I don't think I will get with reading ebooks. Also, I love loaning my books to family and friends and turning them on to new authors and great books I read. I just sent the entire Anita Blake series to a friend in DC.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread