Charlotte Books, Gossip and Wine discussion

2010 Books Recommendations

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sharon Thurner | 26 comments Mod
Andrea has a book to recommend for our book selection next year, The Glass Castle.

If anyone else would like to start the list with recommendations for our upcoming year. Please put them here in this thread.

The Glass Castle  A Memoir by Jeannette Walls

message 2: by Sharon (last edited Oct 07, 2009 08:35AM) (new)

I would like to recommend mudbound;I think we could get the author to call in.

Mudbound by Hillary Jordan

Rebecca added possible selections for the upcoming year: The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell The Tipping Point and Outliers Outliers.

Elise Deal (jelisedeal) | 4 comments A few books that I think the group might enjoy:
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Steig Larson), Lacuna (Barbara Kingslover), and The Lace Reader (not sure of author). I will try to get some info/reviews before February.

message 6: by Sharon (last edited Dec 24, 2009 11:29AM) (new)

I've heard that The Lace Reader is great.

The Lace Reader, just go to the link and it will give the review,

Yvonne | 1 comments The "Heretic's Daughter" is an interesting read. The author, Kathleen Kent, is directly related to one of the women who was put to death in the Salem Witch Trials. She has done extensive research on the events leading up to her ancestor's death. The Heretic's Daughter

The following are suggestions from Niki, great suggestions. I'm excited that we are getting some really great recommendations. Out Stealing Horses: A Novel, The Girl with the Dragon TattooThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood and City of Thieves

Two more to add: The Hunger Games and Graceling

message 12: by Sharon (last edited Jan 09, 2010 07:07AM) (new)

I thought we could add a Pat Conroy book too, The Prince of Tides or Beach Music, The Lords of Discipline or any of his other books. There is a chance that we could get him to call in, which would be a huge deal.

Lisa Bryant (lrb498) | 3 comments That would be amazing if we could get him to call in:)

Wouldn't that be great.

The last two...The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and Women of the Silk. Both were recommendations from friends and look great, have great ratings and should make for good conversation.

Elise Deal (jelisedeal) | 4 comments My last though. Well, actually two. Ron Rash has a collection of short stories (not usually a fan of short stories) coming in March, and I still have his e-mail address so may be worth considering. And, Barbara Kingsolver has a new book out, "Lacuna" and she is my favorite living writer. I will do some research on the reviews. I look foward to seeing everyone on February! We have a good list! Thank you Sharon for all your work making it happen!!

Great! Let's add them to the list, I'll send out an email so everyone has the list. I think we have a wonderful list too. I'll add the page numbers to the books so there are no hidden surprises, I think a couple of mine recommendations are lengthy.

Laurie Watts (cltlaw) Sharon wrote: "I've heard that The Lace Reader is great.

The Lace Reader, just go to the link and it will give the review, "

I loved this book.

I've been wanting to read One Thousand White Women, it has been on my "to be read" list. We had a face to face book club and voted on the books, we will be reading The Lace Reader, I think in June. You are welcome to come to any of the book clubs, just go to the to be read book list. If you would feel more comfortable meeting me first, I'd be glad to meet you for coffee one morning. I think that we have a wonderful upcoming list.