The History Book Club discussion

Barack Obama
This topic is about Barack Obama
PRESIDENTIAL SERIES > #44 (US) BARACK OBAMA (PRESIDENT) 2009 - 2017

Comments (showing 1-50 of 153) (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 10, 2010 06:45PM) (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments "Barack Hussein Obama II (born August 4, 1961) is the 44th and current President of the United States.

He is the first African American to hold the office, as well as the first born in Hawaii, and the third from Illinois.

Obama previously served as the junior United States Senator from Illinois from January 2005 until he resigned after his election to the presidency in November 2008."

Source - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_O...

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 04, 2009 02:34AM) (new)

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments ORGANIZING FOR AMERICA WEBSITE:

http://www.barackobama.com/

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 04, 2009 02:50AM) (new)

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments PRESIDENTIAL TRANSITION WEB PAGE - CSPAN

http://www.c-span.org/Special/Preside...

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments AMERICAN PRESIDENTS: C SPAN

http://www.americanpresidents.org/pre...

message 9: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Here is a new one:

The Promise  President Obama, Year One by Jonathan Alter Jonathan AlterJonathan Alter

LA Times review:
Drawing on insider access and more than 200 interviews with key players, Washington veteran Jonathan Alter examines the nascent Obama presidency with a journalist's eye for the telling detail and a historian's perspective. Despite the transparency that the office of president demands (for the most part), Obama remains enigmatic--ebullient, confident, and optimistic; aloof, demanding, and maybe a bit out of touch. Alter, whose obvious admiration for Obama never impedes his journalistic instincts (he candidly discusses Obama's missteps with Wall Street, for example), captures those contradictions well. Presidential chroniclers won't have the advantage of hindsight for some time, but "when it comes ... to the first draft of history, The Promise is more polished--and far more thoughtful--than most"

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments Yes, I just read a review of this and was almost ready to order it.

Is Alter sympathetic or more Rove/Hannity like?

message 11: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (last edited Sep 10, 2010 12:08PM) (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Bentley wrote: "Yes, I just read a review of this and was almost ready to order it.

Is Alter sympathetic or more Rove/Hannity like?"

I have not read it, but I get the impression he is more sympathetic. He must be on a "100 Days" kick, since he wrote:

The Defining Moment  FDR's Hundred Days and the Triumph of Hope by Jonathan Alter by Jonathan AlterJonathan Alter

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments Could be - his niche.

message 13: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (last edited Oct 12, 2010 06:19AM) (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Obama's National Security Advisor is stepping down. Off the top of my head, it is a little unusual for a high level person to leave this early. They usually wait until after the elections to appear everything is A-Okay. This is on the heels of Emanuel leaving to run for mayor of Chicago.

Evidently from the Post, Jones fought a little with Obama's campaign team that moved to the White House.

Here is a link to the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/...

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 12, 2010 07:31AM) (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments I heard he did not get along with them at all. And there was always something about him when he was even pictured with them that did not appear that he was getting along. Sort of like the Jimmy Carter picture in the oval office with the other former presidents. He looked like he marched to a different drummer.

This is an excerpt from another article:

Jones' exit brings to a close a somewhat-tumultuous time as National Security Adviser, after he clashed with Emanuel and other top White House officials, in part because of a hands-off style that did not sit well with administration officials who were expecting a more take-charge leader at a time of wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as a slew of thorny national security challenges.

In his defense, Jones allies note he is a highly-respected former Marine Commandant and NATO's Supreme Allied Commander in Europe. These allies note that Obama, a commander in chief who came to the job without military experience, benefited from the credibility within the military that Jones brought to the table.

Jones will now be replaced by Donilon, who is widely hailed in Democratic circles as a sharp foreign policy mind, including his tenure as chief of staff to then-Secretary of State Warren Christopher in the Clinton administration.

But Donilon has himself clashed with some in the Obama orbit as well. Journalist Bob Woodward, in his new book "Obama's Wars," suggests there has been tension between Donilon and Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

"Gates felt that Donilon did not understand the military or treat its senior leadership with sufficient respect," Woodward wrote. "The secretary later told Jones that Donilon would be a 'disaster' as Obama's national security adviser."

But a senior Defense official told CNN that "the Woodward characterization is just way out of date" because Gates and Donilon now have a "strong working relationship" within the administration.

Nevertheless, the Defense official acknowledged "they had some issues" during the sometimes-contentious internal "Af-Pak" debate last fall that resulted in the President crafting a new policy toward Afghanistan and Pakistan, which resulted in Obama announcing a surge of 30,000 more U.S. troops being sent to Afghanistan.

I also think that Obama would have been well served to have followed through with his promises about Afghanistan and Iraq. But with Gates and Jones in there - that plan would have never left the room without those two leaving along with that decision.

Also, allegedly Jones was showing some of the dirty laundry when talking to Woodward....ala McChrystal. And that is another reason he was on his way out just a bit earlier. Although I don't think Jones was staying longer than a two year period. One thing that bothers me is that Donilon's wife is Dr. Jill Biden's chief of staff and I think Donilon was close to Joe Biden as well. I have never been a Biden fan in terms of his foreign policy ideas. Although I did like Warren Christopher during the Clinton years.

Source: http://blackpoliticalbuzz.blogspot.co...

message 15: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (last edited Oct 12, 2010 07:24AM) (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Thanks, Bentley. I think it would have been far different if Jones was an inside man like Rice was for Bush. I don't know if they fixed the problem with Donilon.

During the campaign, Obama had Clinton folks like Anthony Lake, Richard Danzig, and Susan Rice, but I guess they didn't want to go another round in D.C. His senior policy adviser, Denis McDonough, is in the NSC, but under Donilon.

We will see...

message 16: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments Susan Rice did and rumors have it that she wanted the Jones job.

message 17: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (last edited Oct 12, 2010 07:40AM) (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Interesting, the UN Ambassadorship is sometimes a pretty frustrating gig and you get face time with Obama as NSC.

message 18: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments I think that is the job she really wanted. (NSC)

message 19: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments "Don't ask, don't tell" repeal going to be signed by Obama. Is this the biggest thing since Truman's executive order to desegregation the armed forces?

The U.S. military will for the first time in history allow gays to serve openly after the Senate voted Saturday to repeal "don't ask, don't tell," the policy that has required such troops to hide their sexual identity or risk being expelled from the services.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/...

message 20: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments This is pretty much long overdue. For the military this may be the biggest thing since Truman.

message 21: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments I agree, Bentley, for the military, it is pretty big step.

The Joint Chiefs did an in-depth study and supported the suspension of this policy. They discovered that an openly gay person is not a threat.

message 22: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5357 comments It is significant, no question, and a great step forward. It is times like this though that makes me wonder why the US is so far behind other countries on things like this.

message 23: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Alisa wrote: "It is significant, no question, and a great step forward. It is times like this though that makes me wonder why the US is so far behind other countries on things like this."

Me, too. Maybe we are more social conservative nation than Europe and have been for most of our history.

message 24: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 21, 2010 10:48AM) (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments Alisa wrote: "It is significant, no question, and a great step forward. It is times like this though that makes me wonder why the US is so far behind other countries on things like this."

We are still Puritans and Pilgrims at heart - strange as that might sound; I swear all of our backwardness stems back to Jonathan Edwards and his sermons (lol)

Jonathan EdwardsJonathan Edwards

message 25: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5357 comments Ha! Could be. I just find it ironic that this country was founded on principles of freedom and ever since then we find a way to oppress people.

message 26: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments I also find it a good thing that the first African-American president helped end this discrimination.

message 27: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Here is a book on Obama and his use of techonology:

Communicator-in-Chief  How Barack Obama Used New Media Technology to Win the White House by John Allen Hendricks by Suzanne Bates

Product Description:
Communicator-in-Chief examines the role of new media technologies such as e-mail, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, blogs, video games, texting and the Internet in the historic 2008 presidential campaign. Politicians of the twenty-first century will use the Obama campaign's new media technology strategy to not only communicate with the electorate, but also raise money and motivate voters to go to the polling places on election day.

message 28: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 21, 2010 04:20PM) (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments Bryan wrote: "I also find it a good thing that the first African-American president helped end this discrimination."

You know Bryan that is an interesting observation that was frankly lost on me. An excellent point.

message 29: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5357 comments Bentley wrote: "Bryan wrote: "I also find it a good thing that the first African-American president helped end this discrimination."

You know Bryan that is an interesting observation that was frankly lost on me. ..."

I agree Bryan, and frankly think it is an expectation that he will move the needle in other ways during his term(s).

message 30: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Yeah, I imagine the Joint Chiefs and Congress saw this coming.

message 31: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments It is hard to install a new chief of staff, but Obama has put in Bill Daley. Here are a couple of articles:

Obama on Thursday introduced William Daley as his new chief of staff, tapping a political heavyweight with an unusual combination of high-level experience both in the business world and in Washington to oversee the White House as it grapples with a more Republican Congress and prepares for the president’s expected re-election campaign in 2012

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/...

message 32: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Tomorrow, the State of the Union. I'm sure Obama will talking about the economy, but other issues still remain unclear.

If you want to browse other SOTU, check out:
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/sou.php

message 33: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments An early assessment:

National Security in the Obama Administration by Stanley Renshon by Stanley Renshon

Product info:
The Bush Doctrine is dead! At least that’s what critics hope. But while new U.S. national security challenges emerge, many post-9/11 threats still persist and the policies of George W. Bush offer one set of strategic answers for how President Obama can confront those dangers. Neither a polemic nor a whitewash, this book provides a careful analysis of the Bush Doctrine—its development, application, and rationale—and assesses its legacy: How will Obama respond to the many foreign policy challenges that await him?

Through an examination of psychology as much as policy, Renshon gives us the first comparative analysis of the Bush Doctrine and the developing Obama Doctrine. The book analyzes the range of national security issues Obama will face and the political divisions that permeate U.S. national security debates. It is essential reading for anyone looking to understand how presidents assess security risks generally and how Obama specifically is likely to adapt the Bush Doctrine to his own worldview.

message 34: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (last edited Mar 25, 2011 11:17AM) (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Here is an interesting article on Obama's leadership style:

http://nationaljournal.com/columns/po...

message 35: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments He is reminding me of Polk.

message 36: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5357 comments Interesting article Bryan, thanks for sharing. He certainly seems to have confused some of his early supporters who were expecting a much more public style than what he has shown us so far. I find it curious to see how a President reconciles his individual leadership and decision making style with their public persona, and the public's response to it. Ultimately whatever works for them is the right answer, and the public is apt to criticize it no matter what it is. His campaign image suggested a more public leader than what he has turned out to be.

message 37: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments I don't think he likes to be criticized and he has a point about some of the inane things that he has been faced with including the birthers.

However, you are correct Alisa...his campaign image suggested a different type of leadership style but remember he was basking in the warmth of a fickle voting public who will turn on a dime and did.

I think he shuns some of the spotlight now and the press.

message 38: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments I agree, I got the impression he would be more JFK than Ike and the events he had to face had been tough.

He will have to put the JFK side in high gear with the election coming up, though, and he has proven he is effective.

message 39: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments For sure, I honestly think he is comfortable no matter what the outcome: another term or not - of course he would prefer the former.

message 40: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5357 comments Like his immediate predecessor, he excels at how he delivers his own campaign. They aren't alike in much any other dimesion, but seem to have that in common. Interesting stuff.

message 41: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments In response to critics who say Obama was not born in this country, he released his certificate:

message 42: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments Yes, it is about time considering the controversy; but I never doubted he was born here however. But why the stonewall? Of course, Trump is taking credit and at a certain level he has the right to do that.

message 43: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Yeah some Republicans still wave that around. Most Republicans won't fan it, though, but might not work very hard to stamp it out if it loses votes.

message 44: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments For sure.

message 45: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments I found this article a very helpful read:

Birtherism: Where it all began

message 46: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments Thanks Bryan - good article.

message 47: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Obama's Wars by Bob Woodward Bob WoodwardBob Woodward

Product info:
In Obama's Wars, Bob Woodward provides the most intimate and sweeping portrait yet of the young president as commander in chief. Drawing on internal memos, classified documents, meeting notes and hundreds of hours of interviews with most of the key players, including the president, Woodward tells the inside story of Obama making the critical decisions on the Afghanistan War, the secret campaign in Pakistan and the worldwide fight against terrorism.

message 48: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 28435 comments Looks like an interesting book with a slant. I think in fairness to him he inherited these wars not the Libya one but the other two are really not his. I do remember him saying that he would shut them down though. That promise seems so long ago.

message 49: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Yeah, I think he realizes how hard it is to shut down a war. Also, he acts as his own "honest broker" which means he has to seek out a variety of opinions rather than bringing in an adviser to do that for him. I think it slows the process down.

message 50: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11508 comments Here is the video/transcript of Obama's message last night on Osama Bin Laden's death:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/0...

Your thoughts on his speech?

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Yes We Can: A Biography of Barack Obama (other topics)
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance (other topics)
Change We Can Believe In: Barack Obama's Plan to Renew America's Promise (other topics)
The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream (other topics)
The Promise: President Obama, Year One (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barack Obama (other topics)
Jonathan Alter (other topics)
Jonathan Edwards (other topics)
Suzanne Bates (other topics)
Stanley A. Renshon (other topics)
More...