The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 50.1 Midway - Senses, Emotions, Memories (pjreads)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 201) (201 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (last edited Oct 14, 2009 09:15AM) (new)

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Mid-way task is posted, but I need a volunteer for a week (Oct 6-13) to answer any questions. (I'm taking a trip to New York and intend to be out & about getting full value for my vacation $$.) Whatever you decide as volunteer goes. First post here gets the job.

Donna Jo is the designated decider for the week of Oct 6-13. Thank you!

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) PJreads,

2 questions relating to your task...
1. Are you counting "Love" as an emotion?
2. Can I use "The School of Essential Ingredients" to count for taste?

Thanks for your help. Great challenge!

message 3: by night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (last edited Oct 03, 2009 06:42PM) (new)

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Sara☺ wrote: "PJreads,

2 questions relating to your task...

1. Are you counting "Love" as an emotion?
Yes ... wiki lists an amazingly wide gamut of emotions

2. Can I use "The School of Essential Ingredients" to count for taste?
Yes ... GR blurb says "One by one the students are transformed by the aromas, flavors, and textures of Lillian’s food ..."

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) Awesome! Thanks!

message 5: by Keri ♠ (new)

Keri ♠ | 192 comments For the memories one, I have a stuffed pegasus my hubby got me when he returned from India (he was there for several months working to get a call center going). As a result of him being there I finally decided to accept his multiple marriage proposals while we were apart...(cute story but won't get into details here) while he was still there. Question is, can I use the book Slumdog Millionaire/Q&A (library lists it as the movie title) for that part of the task since it takes place in India?

message 6: by Keri ♠ (new)

Keri ♠ | 192 comments pjreads wrote: "Mid-way task is posted, but I need a volunteer for a week (Oct 6-13) to answer any questions. (I'm taking a trip to New York and intend to be out & about getting full value for my vacation $$.) Wha..."

Enjoy your vacation, you certainly deserve it! Seeing how busy the boards are and I'm still a newbie, volunteering is just too daunting a task to take on.

message 7: by night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (last edited Oct 03, 2009 06:52PM) (new)

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Kari ♪ wrote: "For the memories one, I have a stuffed pegasus my hubby got me when he returned from India (he was there for several months working to get a call center going)... Question is, can I use the book Slumdog Millionaire/Q&A (library lists it as the movie title) for that part of the task

Yes ... I think almost any book available can fit the Memories subtask for someone.

message 8: by Keri ♠ (new)

Keri ♠ | 192 comments Thank you! That was the hardest one for me to figure something out for.

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments 1) Either one of Anthony Bourdain's food-related travelogues would be good for taste, yes?

2) Can the emotion word be used in as any part of speech (i.e., not as a noun) as long as it's in the title? For example, "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe," "Island of the Sequined Love Nun," etc.

3) Can the keepsake be the actual book itself?

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) okay for the 5 senses I have Through Violet Eyes

for emotion I have Afraid

and for memories I have The Birthing House memory is birth of my 2 children

are these acceptable?

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Sam wrote: "1) Either one of Anthony Bourdain's food-related travelogues would be good for taste, yes?
Yes

2) Can the emotion word be used in as any part of speech (i.e., not as a noun) as long as it's in the title...
Yes

3) Can the keepsake be the actual book itself"

Yes

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Teresa in Ohio wrote: "okay for the 5 senses I have Through Violet Eyes
No ... doesn't sound like sight plays a major role in the story

for emotion I have Afraid
Yes

and for memories I have The Birthing House memory is birth of my 2 ch..."

Yes

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) pjreads wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "okay for the 5 senses I have Through Violet Eyes
No ... doesn't sound like sight plays a major role in the story

for emotion I have Afraid..."

LOL got 2 out of 3 : ) off to look at the tbr shelf again

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) okay going general here for a second : )

would a forensic book work for touch, since they touch the body to find the clues to the killer"

or would a vampire story fit either taste ( they drink blood) or touch since they touch people to drink the blood"

message 15: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments For part three... Say I wanted to do some kind of keepsake from my wedding (my Precious Moments cake topper or bouquet or something), I could read a book with "wedding" in it... How about "bride" or "husband" or a word like that?

Is part 3 as... elusive for other people as it is for me? I have lots of knick-knacks and collected things, but I don't have many things I would call "keepsakes"... Are we just talking about anything with sentimental value?

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Teresa in Ohio wrote: "okay going general here for a second : )

would a forensic book work for touch, since they touch the body to find the clues to the killer"
OK

or would a vampire story fit either taste ( t..."

OK :)

message 17: by night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (last edited Oct 03, 2009 07:50PM) (new)

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Sara ♥ wrote: "For part three... Say I wanted to do some kind of keepsake from my wedding (my Precious Moments cake topper or bouquet or something), I could read a book with "wedding" in it... How about "bride" o...
wedding=YES, bride=YES, husband=YES, cake topper=YES, bouquet=YES, etc.

... Is part 3 as... elusive for other people as it is for me? I have lots of knick-knacks and collected things, but I don't have many things I would call "keepsakes"... Are we just talking about anything with sentimental value? "

anything that reminds you of an event* in your life
*"event" and "keepsake" are not intended to be restrictive ... the event could be an argument or a goosebump moment ...

message 18: by Sara ♥ (last edited Oct 03, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Quick answers! I came back to add another question to my post, but I will now create this new one.

For part 1: sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell... what about words like "see" or "hear" or "feel"? Or do we need to use the nouns?

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Sara ♥ wrote: "Quick answers! I came back to add another question to my post, but I will now create this new one.

For part 1: sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell... what about words like "see" or "hear" or "feel..."

Any words that refer to the five traditional senses ... nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs are all okay
Words that refer to the lack of one of the five traditional senses are also okay ... deaf, blind, etc.

message 20: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Awesome! I think I've figured out what I will do.... Not sure they fulfill the SPIRIT of the task, but...

Part 1: Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? by Louise Rennison (see)
Part 2: Love is a Many Trousered Thing by Louise Rennison (love)
Part 3: Either A Bride Most Begrudging or A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist (cake topper/bride)

message 21: by Tara (last edited Oct 03, 2009 09:08PM) (new)

Tara Here are my picks.

Senses: A Mango-Shaped Space Mia has synesthesia, the mingling of perceptions whereby a person can see sounds, smell colors, or taste shapes.

Emotions: The RELUCTANT Fundamentalist

Memories: The Postmistress Since my memory was finding a letter my dad wrote my mom while he was at sea with the Navy. It is a fond memory and I still have the letter.

Let me know if any of these picks are questionable, please :)

message 22: by Sara ♥ (last edited Oct 03, 2009 09:16PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Is that what A Mango-Shaped Space is about? I've been meaning to read that for a long time...

Reminds me of that episode of House where that pilot started seeing strange colors... She was seeing sounds. I just looked the episode up (Season 4, Ep 2), and that's exactly what they called it: synasthesia. A neurological condition where your senses get mixed up...

message 23: by Tara (last edited Oct 03, 2009 09:58PM) (new)

Tara Sara ♥ wrote: "Is that what A Mango-Shaped Space is about? I've been meaning to read that for a long time..."

I pulled that from the description of the book. My friend (Language Arts Teacher) just read it and raved about it. I can't wait to read it.

Oh, I remember that episode.

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Tara wrote: "Here are my picks.

Senses: A Mango-Shaped Space Mia has synesthesia, the mingling of perceptions whereby a person can see sounds, smell colors, or taste shapes.

Emotions: The RELU..."

YES x 3

message 25: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments So the part I am having the most problems with is the first one.

Would The Sound of Munichbe ok with sound being the representative word?

The other books I am using are Lonely Werewolf Girl (emotion=lonely) and Water Song A Retelling of "The Frog Prince" (my keepsake is a set of fairy tales that belonged to my grandmother. My favorite story when I was younger was The Frog Prince)

Are these appropriate?

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Rachel Lee wrote: "So the part I am having the most problems with is the first one.

Would The Sound of Munichbe ok with sound being the representative word?

The other books I am using are [book:..."

Sound is the sensation, so YES x 3

message 27: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments Does it have to be one of the five senses or can it be a book that deals with all of them?

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Elizabeth (NC) wrote: "Does it have to be one of the five senses or can it be a book that deals with all of them?"

all five senses is fine

message 29: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2763 comments pjreads wrote: "Mid-way task is posted, but I need a volunteer for a week (Oct 6-13) to answer any questions. (I'm taking a trip to New York and intend to be out & about getting full value for my vacation $$.) Wha..."

Do you still need a volunteer? If so, I could do it. I am monitoring your responses and will try to follow your guidelines.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) okay here are my choices again

wicked game ( wicked being the emotion)
halfway to the grave ( vampires )
birthing house ( birth of my chidlren)

message 31: by Nicole (last edited Oct 04, 2009 06:41AM) (new)

Nicole | 864 comments Does anyone have any book ideas about letters, journals, or photographs? These are among my most important keepsakes and a title search alone may not give me a book that are about these in some way. I can think of examples of one I have already read like...
The Notebook
Possession A Romance
The Red Leather Diary Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal

Anything you loved along those lines?

Thanks!

GREAT TASK PJREADS!

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 864 comments Okay...I already have an idea (sorry- I should use my own brain before I rush to ask for help). i really want to read the new A.S. Byatt.

The Children's Book

Obviously, books are super important to me and I have many memories and events attached to them from over the years. Could I use this for memories?

Thanks!

message 33: by night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (last edited Oct 04, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Donna Jo wrote: "pjreads wrote: "Mid-way task is posted, but I need a volunteer for a week (Oct 6-13) to answer any questions.
...Do you still need a volunteer? If so, I could do it. I am monitoring your responses and will try to follow your guidelines."

That's great! You, Donna Jo, are the designated decider for the week of Oct 6-13. Thank you!

After answering a few questions, these are my thoughts:
Senses: the most restrictive - one or more of the five traditional senses required in title or playing a major role in the book.
Emotions: requires an emotion in title or major role ... emotion (love, terror, etc.) usually drives fiction
Memories: completely subjective: any choice of memory, object, event or book fits

message 34: by night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (last edited Oct 04, 2009 09:57AM) (new)

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Teresa in Ohio wrote: "okay here are my choices again

wicked game ( wicked being the emotion)
This fits because fear and courage play major roles in the story (wicked describes behavior or attitude, not emotion)

halfway to the grave ( vampires )
OK

birthing house ( birth of my chidlren)"
Yes

You really made me think on this one (even back to early Catholic training about "The Will"). Wiki does not list wicked as an emotion, but we can feel wicked. Acting wicked is a decision made after the feeling. So Wicked Game fits either the title or major role requirement.

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Nicole wrote: "Okay...I already have an idea (sorry- I should use my own brain before I rush to ask for help). i really want to read the new A.S. Byatt.

The Children's Book

Obviously, books are super important to me and I have many memories and events attached to them from over the years..."

This one is completely subjective: any choice of memory, object, event or book is acceptable for the Memories subtask.

message 36: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 864 comments pjreads wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Okay...I already have an idea (sorry- I should use my own brain before I rush to ask for help). i really want to read the new A.S. Byatt.

The Children's Book

Ob..."

Thanks! You know the memory I think of most when I think of getting to read this book is of my mom and I reading Possession together and being so taken with the story and the breadth of her vocabulary. It reminds me of that time in my life and of grad school! This is such a cool task!!!

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 864 comments woohoo! These are my three choices:

senses: A Mango-Shaped Space
emotions: Love Will Tear Us Apart A Novel
memories: The Children's Book

Approved?

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Nicole wrote: "woohoo! These are my three choices:

senses: A Mango-Shaped Space
emotions: Love Will Tear Us Apart A Novel
memories: The Children's Book

Approved?"

YES x 3 (senses = synesthesia)

message 39: by night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (last edited Oct 04, 2009 08:05AM) (new)

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Amanda wrote: "Would The Unconsoled work for emotions?"

Yes ... fits title requirement and apparently confusion and guilt play major roles ... (adding to TBR, thanks!)

message 40: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments Hear are my choices
Minding the World - 3 books:
I. Senses –Blindness by José Saramago, Giovanni Pontiero

II. Emotions – A Happy Marriage: A Novel by Rafael Yglesias

III. Memories – Not really a keepsake but an event that I am currently going through is a divorce, which has been difficult to say the least. I am using this book as a learning experience, so I think this book is appropriate.
Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow
by Elizabeth Lesser

Are these okay?

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 864 comments Angela wrote: "Hear are my choices

III. Memories – Not ..."

I just wanted to say I am sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time. HUGS

message 42: by night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (last edited Oct 04, 2009 08:32AM) (new)

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Angela wrote: "Hear are my choices

III. Memories – ...Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow ..."

YES x 3
I, too, am sorry that you're going through a difficult time. HUGS

message 43: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments Thanks Nicole and PJREADS!!!

message 44: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2763 comments pjreads wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "pjreads wrote: "Mid-way task is posted, but I need a volunteer for a week (Oct 6-13) to answer any questions.
...Do you still need a volunteer? If so, I could do it. I am monitor..."

After reading your reponses here, it looks like most choices for parts II and III are going to be good. Part I still gives a pretty wide latitude withing the five senses, so I think I'll be ready for the 6th. (Besides, everyone will have asked all their questions by then, right?)

message 45: by night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (last edited Oct 04, 2009 09:38AM) (new)

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Donna Jo wrote: "pjreads wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "pjreads wrote: "Mid-way task is posted, but I need a volunteer for a week (Oct 6-13) to answer any questions.
...Do you still need a volunteer? If so, I could do ...(Besides, everyone will have asked all their questions by then, right?) "

LOL

message 46: by Diane (new)

Diane | 611 comments Would the words "Sound", "Feeling", or "Listen" work for the first part of the task?

night music♫ -- "I wasted time and now doth time waste me" (pjreads) Diane wrote: "Would the words "Sound", "Feeling", or "Listen" work for the first part of the task?"

YES

message 48: by Keri ♠ (last edited Oct 04, 2009 10:27AM) (new)

Keri ♠ | 192 comments Since others are asking if their selections will work, I'll go ahead and double check mine too. I know #3 is fine since I asked, so just checking #1 & #2

#1 Of Sound Mind by Jean Ferris -- A high school senior who is the only "hearie" in his deaf family.

#2 The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan -- I have never read/seen the movie...only have heard of it and thought it if works for the challenge, I can read it finally.

Angela, so sorry to hear you're having to go through a rough time. I've done it before, so believe me, it does get better...but it definitely takes time *hugs*

message 49: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Angela, big hugs to you.

And PJREADS, thank you so much for this task! I needed it right now. My husband deployed to Iraq a week ago today and I really needed some comfort reads.

Garden Spells should work for part 1, right? It's a very sensory book, especially when it come to taste, sight, and smell. Just wanted to check. :o)

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) Angela and Cait..thinking of you both....hugs to you both

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Birthing House (other topics)
Afraid (other topics)
Through Violet Eyes (other topics)
Love Is a Many Trousered Thing (other topics)
A Bride in the Bargain (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amy Tan (other topics)
Jean Ferris (other topics)
E.L. Doctorow (other topics)
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (other topics)
H.G. Wells (other topics)
More...