Mere Christianity Mere Christianity discussion

Quotes I like

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Debbie "Does it not make a great diference whether I am, so to speak, the landlord of my own mind and body, or only a tenant, responsible to the real landlord? If somebody else made me, for his own purposes, then I shall have a lot of duties which I should not have if I simply belonged to myself." p. 58 - 59

Debbie "This is, I thnk, one little part of what Christ meant by saying that a thing will not really live unless it first dies. It is simply no good trying to keep any thrill: that is the very worst thing you can do. Let the thrill go - let it die away - go on through that period of death into the quieter interest and happiness that follow - and you will find you are living in a world of new thrills all the time. But if you decide to make thrills your regular diet and try to prolong them artificially, they will all get weaker and weaker, and fewer and fewer, and you will be a bored, disillusioned old man for the rest of you life. It is because so few people understand this that you find many middle-aged men and women maundering about their lost youth, at the very age when new horizons ought to be appearing and new doors opening all round them. It is much etter fun to learn to swim than to go on endlessly (and hopelessly) trying to get back the feeling you had when you first went paddling as a small boy." p. 86

Debbie [speaking of learning charity:] "The rule for all of us is perfectly siple. Do not waste time bothering whether you "love" your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him If you injure someone you dislike, you will find yourself disliking him more. If you do him a good turn, you will find yourself disliking him less." p. 101

Debbie " You find out the strength of a wind by tryin gto walk against it, not by lying down. A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know whawt it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in. We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it: and Christ, because He was the only man who never yielded to temptation, is also the only man who knows to the full what temptation means - the only complete realist." p. 110

message 5: by Niting (last edited May 23, 2012 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niting " Give up yourself to find your real self."

DocHolidavid Debbie wrote: "[speaking of learning charity:] "The rule for all of us is perfectly siple. Do not waste time bothering whether you "love" your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the..."

My thoughts exactly. When things start going wrong I find if I simply act like I love others, everything starts aligning again.

Lora Wow, thanks for reminding me of great things. I will be thinking about these all week- especially the one about temptation.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Niting wrote: "" Give up yourself to find your real self.""

thats a great one!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Mere Christianity (other topics)