SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What else are you reading in October 2009?

Comments (showing 1-48)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

David Ivester (Superdave08) | 7 comments Laurel wrote: "David, can't wait to hear what you think of it! Fionavar is an all time personal fave!!!"

I finished "The Longest Road" the other night, and enjoyed the Fionavar Trilogy very much. I liked that the author integrated modern-day characters into the mix, which is what attracted me to the books in the first place. Kay writes women well; in fact I kept thinking of Guy Kay as "she" as I was reading. I also liked how he integrates different cultures into the "weft and weave" of the story. I found myself thinking of the plains folk as American Indians, the Brennin people as medieval Europeans, and the Cathal people as sort of Asian.

Arthur (Astra) Crowgirl wrote: "I'm finishing the last of Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters books, Daughter of the Forest, Son of the Shadows, Child of the Prophecy and [book:Heir..."

I wish she would publish all of them in ebook format, then I would read the series.

Joy (Crowgirl) Lara Amber wrote: "I'm now reading Furies of Calderon"

I love Jim Butcher but I had a little trouble getting into this series. I stuck with it and by the second book started to enjoy the world he's created. Another war and gore fantasy.

Joy (Crowgirl) I wish I knew a good term for these types of fantasy. They're the blood, war and gore type. I think of them as being Masculine Fantasy but that's probably not PC.

So I'm reading Children of Chaos and Mother of Lies. They're keeping my attention and I like the pantheon of gods who take active interest in granting their worshipers magic powers. The battle Weru god gives his followers shape shifting abilities which makes for great battles. I keep thinking "My son would love this" while I read...LOL

Lara Amber (LaraAmber) | 566 comments I just reread The Handmaid's Tale for next month, which I hadn't read since high school and barely remembered.

I'm now reading Furies of Calderon.

I haven't been reading much, too tired with the pregnancy and busy with projects.

Cindy (Newtomato) | 123 comments I just finished Spin - it was a really fun, thrilling read! Highly recommended, as it gives you so much science & sociology to think about. I think today I'll try to track down the sequel, Axis, although I heard it's not as good.

Dawn (Dawn9655) | 69 comments I finished reading "Unseen Academicals" by Terry Pratchett and was, as always, supremely entertained. This one takes on football -- and organized sport in general -- and does it very well.

Also finished "The Briar King" (finally) and I liked it. Will be starting the next one in the series in a little bit. Still reading "The Phoenix Transformed" by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory, "Atlantis Rising" by Alyssa Day and "Dragonsbane" by Barbara Hambly.

Julia | 543 comments I am currently reading The Winds of Marble Arch and loving it by Connie Willis.
The Winds of Marble Arch by Connie Willis

Other books I've read & liked this month:
After by Amy Efaw New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear Made to Be Broken (Nadia Stafford, #2) by Kelley Armstrong
Zaddik by David Rosenbaum An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon

Joy (Crowgirl) I'm finishing the last of Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters books, Daughter of the Forest, Son of the Shadows, Child of the Prophecy and Heir to Sevenwaters.

All have a strong, magic endowed Female protagonist and a love story set in early Ireland BUT so much more is invested in the plot. Fae, earth spirits, druids, tribal warfare, betrayal and other human failings. I've enjoyed all the books, especially her style of writing. Poems and song included.

Laurel David, can't wait to hear what you think of it! Fionavar is an all time personal fave!!!

message 38: by Paul (last edited Oct 25, 2009 03:34PM) (new)

Paul | 131 comments Thanks for that, Cindy. I'll get on to episode two very, very shortly. Yes, I think what I've read so far is great.

Later OK, still very, very good. And believable. And excellently written.

Susanna (jb_slasher) I'm halfway through The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. In addition, I'm enjoying Night Shift by Stephen King.

David Ivester (Superdave08) | 7 comments I am completing the Fionavar trilogy this month. I am currently reading the third book, The Darkest Road.

Cindy (Newtomato) | 123 comments Hey, Paul - I've also been reading the installments of 7th Son Descent. It's a rocking thriller, isn't it? BoingBoing has put out the 2nd installment already, in case you hadn't seen it.

Seriously, I might just have to buy the book when it comes out on October 27. I'm not sure if I can patiently wait 8 more weeks to find out what is going on with the Smiths!

Paul | 131 comments Just read the first episode of 7th Son Descent by J.C. Hutchins. If the rest is as good as the first 33 pages, I'm going to enjoy it immensely.

Janny (JannyWurts) | 151 comments Sarah wrote: "Janny wrote: "I am nearly finished Stormrider by David Gemmell, which I took on a road trip for the paperback convenience, and for lighter reading. This close to finis..."

Gemmell's work is marked, for me, by conflicts within the characters, who are often pitted against straightforward human enemies.

This book has all that - but more - the forces against are supernatural, and the human enemies and the conflicts between the dark and light side of human nature are shown in a different light - all the former elements from the series - some of the traditional bad guys - are now being seen with more depth. That was the surprise I am enjoying, as I like fully fleshed views - and the shifts in alliances that happen as events evolve steps out of the polarized view, of goodies vs baddies. The lines are more blurred in this book.

Tammy | 21 comments Janny wrote: "I am nearly finished Stormrider by David Gemmell, which I took on a road trip for the paperback convenience, and for lighter reading. This close to finish, so far, I l..."

I have Stormrider on my to-read list and I plan to start it very soon. I really liked the previous Rigante books, but I've been neglecting Stormrider for some reason.
Now that you said you liked this one better than the former books it makes me eager to want to find out why that is....

Tammy | 21 comments Arthur wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Arthur wrote: "Finished The Book Thief a couple of days ago. It took me a while to digest the book before I could start reading A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge.

The Book Thief i..."

I'm LaMattie on there, though I'm not so active...
I like it here better to tell the truth.

message 30: by Arthur (last edited Oct 20, 2009 08:45AM) (new)

Arthur (Astra) Sarah wrote: "Arthur wrote: "Finished The Book Thief a couple of days ago. It took me a while to digest the book before I could start reading A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge.

The Book Thief is one of the b..."

LOL.
Yup. I used to be Astra here, but then a colleague of mine joined Goodreads and I decided it is time to come out of hiding :)
And you are...?

Peregrine Ooo, Someone Knows My Name! How are you liking it? I was riveted.

message 28: by Janny (last edited Oct 20, 2009 08:16AM) (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 151 comments I am nearly finished Stormrider by David Gemmell, which I took on a road trip for the paperback convenience, and for lighter reading. This close to finish, so far, I like it better than all the former Rigante books.

I'll be back to Treason's Shore as soon as I've bolted through Someone Knows My Name, for the neighborhood book club read due this week.

Tammy | 21 comments Arthur wrote: "Finished The Book Thief a couple of days ago. It took me a while to digest the book before I could start reading A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge.

The Book Thief is one of the best books I hav..."

Hey! You're Astra from SFFWORLD.COM, right? How funny! I realised that only by the fact you mentioned that you'd read and greatly enjoyed The Book Thief!

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 273 comments Stefan wrote: "but I'm already looking forward to something with a bit more depth and originality."

Is that my cue? Is this thing on?

Derek | 20 comments I just finished Avempartha by Michael J Sullivan.

Cindy (Newtomato) | 123 comments It's funny you mentioned the Earthsea books, Greyweather. I wasn't planning on it, but I picked up A Wizard of Earthsea when I was returning a book at the library. I thought I would read a bit before walking home and I got totally sucked in! Really magical.

Greyweather | 226 comments I just finished with The Book of Knights by Yves Meynard, an excellent fantasy novel in the vein of Le Guin's Earthsea books or Valente's Orphan's Tales.

Next I'm going to try and tackle the expanded edition of Stephen King's The Stand that my neighbor lent to me. Not only is it the biggest book I've ever picked up, it is 50% longer than the longest book I have read to date. I am slightly intimidated.

Stefan (sraets) | 23 comments I've been stuck in Dawnthief by James Barclay for a couple of days now. It's not too bad, in a mind candy no-brains-required sort of way, but I'm already looking forward to something with a bit more depth and originality.

Dawn (Dawn9655) | 69 comments My October reads include: "Unseen Academicals" by Terry Pratchett; "Sense and Sensibility and Sea-Monsters"; "Mercury Rising" by Rob Kroese; "The Briar King" (finally); re-reads of some of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books and the final book in the "Phoenix Unchained" series.

Arthur (Astra) Finished The Book Thief a couple of days ago. It took me a while to digest the book before I could start reading A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge.

The Book Thief is one of the best books I have read in the last 15-20 years. Very powerful and moving story. Although, I started to read another book Liesel Meminger is still with me.

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Finished To Ride Hell's Chasm (my review).

I'm starting the much lighter Miles, Mystery & Mayhem. I'll probably alternately read The Lies of Locke Lamora depending on my mood and the strength of the stories.

Susanna (jb_slasher) Jon Krakauer's Into The Wild

Stuart (Asfus) | 166 comments I am reading The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

Libby | 271 comments Cindy wrote: "Thanks, Jon! I read Cloud Atlas a month or so ago, and I've been looking for some interesting discussion. :)

As far as my October reading, I'm in the middle of The Year of the Flood..."

Cindy - I loved Rebecca great choice for Halloween reading.

I'm reading Unseen Academicals - I basically drop everything to read the latest Terry Pratchett book. I just love him.

I'm listening to Turn of the Screw by Henry James which is fitting for Halloween. Quite enjoying this classic. As well as War of the Worlds.

I've got lots of others on the list but October is just flying by! Per usual, too many books and not enough time. Here are the others on my list - they are mostly for GR book groups but they are all great books so I can't complain -
The Guns of Avalon
To Ride Hell's Chasm
The Blade Itself

I also REALLY want to get back to the Wars of Light and Shadow series by Janny Wurts - The Ships of Merior is up next for me.

Stefan (sraets) | 23 comments I just finished The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology - an excellent collection of short stories.

Next up is Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts.

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments I finished Imager yesterday and Those Who Hunt the Night today.

I'm still plodding through Willis' The Winds of Marble Arch and picking up the pace with To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts.

Still quite a few October group reads ahead, but I'll focus on finishing those two before starting another one.

Heather I'm reading "Monkey See" by Walt Maguire. It's hysterical and engaging and just slightly thought-provoking; perfect for my subway rides.

Monkey See by Walt Maguire

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 55 comments I'm finally almost done with Lords and Ladies and then I'll read Carpe Jugulum. I'm still working on Interview With the Vampire and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which I'm determined to finish quickly so I can read Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. I see that this group's reading War of the Worlds which I've been meaning to read for a while so I may pick that up as well. :)

Greyweather | 226 comments I just finished off Jo Walton's Farthing, a very good mystery novel that also happens to be a very good alternate history novel.

To gear up for Halloween I'm looking at the horror short story collection 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill as my next book. I also hope to fit The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan and The Stand by Stephen King into this month, though looking at the size of King's novel I'll probably still be reading it in November.

Kernos | 348 comments Thanks Jon.

Cindy (Newtomato) | 123 comments Thanks, Jon! I read Cloud Atlas a month or so ago, and I've been looking for some interesting discussion. :)

As far as my October reading, I'm in the middle of The Year of the Flood right now. Then in the spirit of Halloween, I hope to read Rebecca, Dracula, and Frankenstein. If I can get my hands on a copy, I really want to read Her Fearful Symmetry. If there's time left, maybe I'll start The Surrogates or Frameshift.

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Cindy wrote: "Jon - Is it a GoodReads group reading Cloud Atlas?"

Yes, the Alternative World group.

Cindy (Newtomato) | 123 comments Jon - Is it a GoodReads group reading Cloud Atlas?

message 4: by Jon (last edited Oct 01, 2009 01:24PM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Kernos wrote: "PS, Jon. How do you get the book image link into these comments? "

When you use the add book/author link there is a radio button on the bottom of the pop-up box. The default is "link" but you can click "cover" instead.

Hope that helps.

Jon

Kernos | 348 comments I am in the middle of the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson and then will start the Colossus trilogy by D. F. Jones

The 3rd book of the latter, Colossus and the Crab, I could only find in a mass market PB version. I could only find a HC omnibus edition, unavailable on my online, used book sources. I have 2 nice, used HC's in mylar and a dumpy PB to read. I hate that! :-(

PS, Jon. How do you get the book image link into these comments?

Arthur (Astra) Started The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

message 1: by Jon (last edited Oct 01, 2009 07:20AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments I have lots of group reads this month including:

To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Miles, Mystery & Mayhem (Omnibus  Cetaganda \ Ethan of Athos \ Labyrinth) by Lois McMaster Bujold Brokedown Palace by Steven Brust Those Who Hunt the Night by Barbara Hambly The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards, #1) by Scott Lynch Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

I'm currently reading and will soon finish:

Imager  The First Book of the Imager Portfolio by L.E. Modesitt Jr. The Winds of Marble Arch by Connie Willis

Non group reads I hope to squeeze in include:

City of Jade  A Novel of Mithgar by Dennis L. McKiernan [image error]

It will be a very busy October reading frenzy.

Welcome to Autumn!