Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What else are you reading in October 2009?

Comments (showing 51-63 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 51: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1665 comments Mod
I did enjoy it, although I had a lot of trouble with the first 50 pages and almost launched the book across the room a few times, but that's partly because the book uses so many unique words and terms, and I'm entirely unable to read a word I don't know without looking it up, so once I discovered the 20 page glossary in the back, I compulsively had to turn back and forth to look up words all the time. It took me a good 3 hours to read those first 50 pages. After that, I got settled in and ended up really enjoying the novel. I also thought that it had a very solid and exciting ending (not Stephenson's strong point, usually).
It's a unique book, very challenging and at times a bit confusing. I initially gave it 3 stars, then went back later and added a star because I found myself thinking about the novel for months after finishing it. It's definitely a book I plan to re-read at some point.

Kathryn (Kathry) I've had Anathem for a bit now and been rather afraid to tackle it. Having only read Snow Crash, I think I need to ease into some other Stephenson first. But Snow Crash is one of my all-time favorite reads so I will eventually get around to all of his. I'm very intrigued.

I'm nearly finished with The Golden City and Blindsight, which I am enjoying more than the former.

I just bought The Year of the Flood, The Atrocity Archives, Elric of Melniboné, and Remnant Population, all of which I am eagerly looking forward to.

Janny (JannyWurts) | 968 comments Ron and Stefan, thanks for your takes. I will give this a try at some point. Nice to know it's not horror. I am no fan of books written for the sole purpose of inspiring fear.

message 54: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Oct 26, 2009 08:58AM) (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Stefan wrote: "I did enjoy it, although I had a lot of trouble with the first 50 pages and almost launched the book across the room a few times, but that's partly because the book uses so many unique words and te..."

I had to do the same thing. The beginning went very slowly. I, on the other hand, did not mind a bit. I had just finished a string of light and fast reads, it was time for something of this style.

Certainly would suggest to people to take their time; it pays off. I was quite satisfied as I closed the book for the last time.

Kathi | 1101 comments ACK! I am so frustrated... I still haven't started Cetaganda and now I have Brokedown Palace to read, too... BUT I only have 3 more magazines to go and then I can start books again!

message 56: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I just finished Sasha by Joel Shepherd, which was much much better than expected (based on the cover art). My review should be popping up at FanLit and on GoodReads soon. Next up is Noonshade by James Barclay.

Anomander | 32 comments Just finished Frostfell by Mark Sehestedt, generic Forgotten Realms action/adventure novel.

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments I'm about halfway through "Whiskey and Water" the second of Elizabeth Bear's 'novels of the Promethean Age' and I have to say Bear impresses me more and more. The pace in this is not quite the whirlwind of the first book, but that actually comes as some relief, and the action is still by no means slow. Recommended.

Janny (JannyWurts) | 968 comments Ron wrote: "I'm about halfway through "Whiskey and Water" the second of Elizabeth Bear's 'novels of the Promethean Age' and I have to say Bear impresses me more and more. The pace in this is not quite the whir..."

Well, Ron, you're guilty of pushing me to put Blood and Iron toward the top of my TBR stack.

message 60: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I'm about to go start reading her All the Windwracked Stars. I have a review for the sequel (or prequel?) By the Mountain Bound due. It looks very interesting - I'm not even sure what genre it is based on the cover blurbs.

Sandi (Sandikal) | 334 comments Stefan wrote: "I'm about to go start reading her All the Windwracked Stars. I have a review for the sequel (or prequel?) By the Mountain Bound due. It looks very interesting - I'm ..."

I read "All the Windwracked Stars" recently. I think it kind of falls into the New Weird category. It's mostly fantasy, but parts seem kind of science-fictiony. It really helps if you have a basic understanding of Norse mythology. It was probably one of the most difficult novels I've read this year. I found myself having to go back and read early parts because the section I was in wasn't making any sense because I hadn't understood something that happened earlier.

Have you noticed that Norse mythology is becoming a popular fantasy theme lately?

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Janny wrote: "Ron wrote: "I'm about halfway through "Whiskey and Water"..."
Well, Ron, you're guilty of pushing me to put Blood and Iron toward the top of my TBR stack.

I would be very happy to take the rap for that, Janny.

Staci | 47 comments I didn't really get much read in October. I finished Cetaganda which I really enjoyed and Foundation by Isaac Asimov which was not bad. It was the first time I had read it. I'm also currently reading To Ride Hell's Chasm which I'm thoroughly enjoying, Old Man's War by John Scalzi which so far is a quick enjoyable read and Frankenstein which was my Halloween book. I'm at about the half way point on all three. And I just started an audio version of Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen which so far seems pretty good.

« previous 1 2 next »
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.