Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Halloween or Autumn Cozy Mysteries

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 26 comments I know we have a thread for "Spooky Cozy Mysteries" but I'm not really keen on ghost stories and the like. Instead, I'm wondering if you can recommend any stories that center around Halloween or the autumn season. Thanks! :-)

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5820 comments A Catered Halloween (Mystery with Recipes, Book 5) by Isis Crawford by Isis Crawford. I really like this series.

message 3: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 4 comments Agatha Christie wrote a book titled Halloween Party. That may not be exact, but Halloween is in the title. Just the other day I was thinking about digging it out and rereading it

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 332 comments The first book that came to my mind was Witches Bane by Susan Wittig Albert. I think it was the second book in the series.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 125 comments Here's a link to a list of Halloween cozy mysteries
http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Holiday-M...

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise | 758 comments Kathryn wrote: "I know we have a thread for "Spooky Cozy Mysteries" but I'm not really keen on ghost stories and the like. Instead, I'm wondering if you can recommend any stories that center around Halloween or t..."

Here is a site where you can find Halloween mysteries:

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Holiday-M...

There are also other holiday books listed. I highly recommend www.cozy-mystery.com as a resource for cozies. If you find that something isn't on the site just drop Danna a note with the info and she will promptly update or add to her site. You can write to her at: Danna@cozy-mystery.com

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 26 comments Thanks all!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2329 comments I thought I should add Ghouls Just Want to Have Fun (Tressa Jayne Turner Mysteries, Book 3) by Kathleen Bacus. I really like this series.

message 9: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 4 comments Just finished Ghost at Work and not only is the main character a ghost but it takes place around Halloween.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 54 comments Coffee Time Book Reviews gave A Ghost of a Chance a rave review for Halloween reading. Read it here:
http://coffeetimeromance.com/CoffeeTh...

message 11: by Susan (last edited Sep 07, 2014 08:08PM) (new)

Susan Bernhardt | 129 comments The Ginseng Conspiracy A Kay Driscoll (Halloween) Mystery. The Ginseng Conspiracy (A Kay Driscoll Mystery, #1) by Susan Bernhardt

Book Blurb: Murder comes to town and so does Kay Driscoll, whose tenacious nature tells her city officials are attempting a cover-up and she must expose the truth.

On her way to attend a Halloween Ball, Kay Driscoll, a newcomer to town, witnesses the murder of a local professor. When the official coroner's report rules the cause of death to be accidental and the community accepts the judgement, Kay decides to uncover the truth for herself. Through her personal investigations, Kay exposes a complex conspiracy, woven deep within the thriving local ginseng industry, that involves some of the more prominent figures and families of Sudbury Falls.

With her new friends, the free-spirited herbalist Deirdre and the untamed modern woman Elizabeth, Kay discusses new clues over tea and pastries at Sweet Marissa's Patisserie, their crime-fighting headquarters. As Kay gets closer to the heart of the conspiracy, additional murders happen in quick succession. Before long, Kay learns that the villains are gunning for her, too. Phil, her musically talented but preoccupied husband, determined to keep her safe, withholds from her the one thing she needs most: the truth.

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 140 comments The Widow's Walk League opens on Halloween night with a figure of death handing out dates to people telling them when they will die. One man gets a note saying he will be dead within the hour.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Commins (KarenCommins) | 8 comments Greetings, all! I'm finishing production of the audiobook of Virginia Brown's Return To Fender . This fun book is the 4th in the Blue Suede Memphis cozy mystery series and is set in the week or so approaching Halloween. In fact, one of the biggest scenes in the book occurs at a Halloween party. The audiobook will be available just in time for Halloween listening!

One of the leading drag queens in Memphis asks our heroine Harley Davidson (yep, that's her name!) to find out who is trying to kill him. Harley isn't a detective. She's a tour guide at Memphis Tour Tyme. Her friend and co-worker Thomas "Tootsie" Rowell is adept with computers and helps her get information. Her former boyfriend Bobby and current boyfriend Mike -- both police officers -- try in van to convince her that she should leave the investigations to them.

Whoever it is thinks Harley is getting a little to close to the action and tells her to back off -- or else.

You can hear clips from the first 3 books at this link:
https://soundcloud.com/karencommins/s...

The audiobooks are available at Amazon, Audible, and iTunes.

Happy listening!

Cordially,
Karen Commins
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/WcqSk

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 54 comments "River Ghost" was just released for Autumn 2014. It takes place in Vicksburg, MS, in autumn. This is a paranormal mystery (cozy, not horror) novelette, not part of the Shannon Delaney series. And currently is at B&N Nook, Smashwords (multiple ebook formats) and soon to be at additional retailers, including Amazon. Smashwords as sample chapters, so too, does Nook. $1.45
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/river...

message 15: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 202 comments I'm planning on buddy reading this book with a friend of mine:

Me and My Ghoulfriends by Rose Pressey

This is a great Whispersync deal but we are going to listen to the audio as we are audio addicts. The book is sort of paranormalish, of which I am not a fan, but how can I resist a book that is a bookstore owner?

I'm also going to read
Halloween Hijinks by Kathi Daley
in ebook this month. She is a new author to me.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kathy_lee) | 71 comments I just finished Wicked Business. It is not a cozy but a light paranormal Halloween-time read. It was a good follow-up to Livin' Lahaina Loca which takes place on and just after Halloween. I've found I get burned out if I read too many cozies back to back. Now I'm reading Dark Witch, not a cozy but a great paranormal read so far.

I love cozy mysteries so I figured I'd post these books for cozy readers like me who want some good seasonal reads that are slightly outside of the genre.

message 17: by C. (new)

C. (booklvr62) | 50 comments As a new fan of this author,I want to read this one...

Pumpkin Roll (A Culinary Mysteries, #6) by Josi S. Kilpack

message 18: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (Marja1) | 689 comments Rather than a book, I thought I'd mention a movie. If you're tired of gore, try watching the old black and white Arsenic and Old Lace. Fun and whacky, if you like whacky. Just a thought.

message 19: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 3837 comments Mod
Marja wrote: "Rather than a book, I thought I'd mention a movie. If you're tired of gore, try watching the old black and white Arsenic and Old Lace. Fun and whacky, if you like whacky. Just a thought."

One of my favorite old movies! ☺

message 20: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 140 comments Marja,
That's one of my favorite movies. It oozes charm and fun.

message 21: by E.L. (new)

E.L. (ElouiseBates) | 71 comments My husband and I just saw Arsenic and Old Lace performed live at our community theater! I love the movie, and I think I love the play even a little bit more.

message 22: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (Marja1) | 689 comments E.L. wrote: "My husband and I just saw Arsenic and Old Lace performed live at our community theater! I love the movie, and I think I love the play even a little bit more."

Can you imagine how much fun it would be to perform in that play? : )

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary | 131 comments That would be fun! I love that play. The movie is great too!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Catered Halloween (other topics)
Ghouls Just Want to Have Fun (other topics)
Ghost at Work (other topics)
The Ginseng Conspiracy (other topics)
Me and My Ghoulfriends (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rose Pressey (other topics)
Kathi Daley (other topics)