Tudor History Lovers discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy Reads

Comments (showing 1-50 of 74) (74 new)    post a comment »

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 158 comments Want to read a book with some other members? Start a topic here!

Robin | 100 comments I'll read anything with anyone! :)

message 3: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 1106 comments I'll start the December GR poll, never too early I suppose!

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) Depending on what we vote on for December, I have a book I want to do a buddy read on, but am waiting to see what we come up with.

Paula | 85 comments Not sure where to ask, but can we set up a buddy read for Alison Weir's The Children of Henry VIII?

message 6: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 1106 comments I have set it up for you guys Paula. :)

Paula | 85 comments Thank you, ma'am! :)

message 8: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 1106 comments Don't call me ma'am or I'll delete the thread!!! LOL ;)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) ma'am, ma'am ma'am ma'am ma'am

message 10: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 1106 comments That's it Jayme! Ma'am you shall be flogged! lol

Paula | 85 comments Colleen wrote: "Don't call me ma'am or I'll delete the thread!!! LOL ;)"

Ha! No offense meant - it's funny to me how that used to be a sign of respect but now it's offensive. It's easy to rile up a co-worker here by calling her ma'am.

How about... "thanks colleen!" :)

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) I guess I am old school, I don't find it offensive. Unless the person calling me ma'am is either my age or older than me!

message 13: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 1106 comments I got offended when I was younger too, to me it's just very formal. Hmmmm... I suppose that "thank you, Colleen" will do Paula, LOL just trying to keep things a little silly around here!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) I had one of my students call me ma'am today and i am 33. I feel so old to be called ma'am.

message 15: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 1106 comments It sucks, makes me feel like I am about 150 years old. I actually hate not getting carded for liquor or ciggarettes, makes me feel like they look at me and think "why bother? She's obviously way over 21!"

message 16: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Sometimes it's just annoying getting asked for ID though. Like, if I forget it at home or if it's at the bottom of my purse or whatever. I don't mind most of the time either though ;)

Misfit | 160 comments Several of us want to do a buddy read on Sister Queens: The Noble, Tragic Lives of Katherine of Aragon and Juana, Queen of Castile. Is it OK for me to start threads breaking it down into sections?

Elizabeth | 1 comments Paula wrote: "Not sure where to ask, but can we set up a buddy read for Alison Weir's The Children of Henry VIII? "

i accully reseved it at the libary the other day i can wait to read it if you want ... ill let you know when i get it

Anne (AnneCurrin) | 77 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Paula wrote: "Not sure where to ask, but can we set up a buddy read for Alison Weir's The Children of Henry VIII? "

i accully reseved it at the libary the other day i can wait to re..."

I would be interested in joining this buddy read, if you don't mind me jumping right in here lol!

Denise (Dulcinea3) | 88 comments Is Sister Queens nonfiction?

Denise (Dulcinea3) | 88 comments Thanks, Susanna! I'll have to read that one someday, as I am also interested in that period of the Spanish monarchy.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 791 comments I've got another of Julia Fox's books on my non-fiction TBR - about Jane Boleyn, I believe. Someday I'll get to it!

Deb | 15 comments I am reading Sister Queens now and it is very good. Unfortunately it is due back at the library on Friday and I am leaving for London the following day so I can't renew the book.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) You can't go online to your library and renew it?

Deb | 15 comments Unfotunately, our library has no renewals for new books.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) That's too bad, i hate for you to stop reading a book you are enjoying just because you have to return it.

Eva Carragher | 1 comments Is there online books in your library. Similar to kindle Some have started that.

Deb | 15 comments Yes, but they don't have this one :(

Steph How tragic - I might have to go out and purchase it if it were me....I don't think I could stop part way through

Deb | 15 comments I may just buy it on Kindle. I really don't to stop reading it at this point. It is a very interesting comparison of the two sisters.

Deb | 15 comments I did end up buying it on Kindle so now I can take it with me tomorrow!

Steph Good for you - have fun

Deb | 15 comments Thanks! Leaving town now and will have to resist coming home with a suitcase full of books from the UK.

Steph Stay strong...it's too easy to grab books, I know LOL

have a great trip!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 791 comments Stay strong, because you will need the strength to haul them back!

Steph ha ha true and let’s be honest, no one has that kind of strength to walk away from a good find...Susanna's right focus all your energy in the return

Mandy | 5 comments Would anyone like to buddy on The Other Queen by PHilippa Gregory?

Heather | 15 comments Anyone interested in buddy reading The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory or The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory or The Princes in the Tower by Elizabeth Jenkins? I've just started TRQ (pg 20) and I've the other two from the library.

Mary | 62 comments Can't do a buddy read right now. But would love to know what you think of the Jenkins book.

Steph If I weren’t taking a side street this summer reading all of Jane Austen's works I would love to buddy read The Princes in the Tower - I've read the others.

Sabrina | 14 comments I'm interested in a buddy read on the The Princes in the Tower. Please let me know if you decide to go forward with this book as I'd have to get a copy :-). Thanks.

Heather | 15 comments Sabrina wrote: "I'm interested in a buddy read on the The Princes in the Tower. Please let me know if you decide to go forward with this book as I'd have to get a copy :-). Thanks."

Sabrina - I already have it. Let me know when you want to start!

Sabrina | 14 comments Excellent - will get a copy and let you know.

Debye | 6 comments Hi, would it be possible to make it a 3-way buddy read for The Princes in the Tower by Jenkins? I 'd love to join. But I understand if it is too late.
Thanks for considering!
Debye

Sabrina | 14 comments Hello Debye, please join in. Heather started a separate discussion for the book by Jenkins and because I was silly and ended reading the wrong book first :-), we are still reading it.

Debye | 6 comments Oh great! Thanks! I'll look for the separate thread.
Debye. :-)

Crystal Lee (CrystalLeeAuthor) | 67 comments I know this isn't necessarily a buddy read, but is anybody else planning to go to this?

http://www.goodreads.com/event/show/5...

I officially invited myself to crash that party. Anybody else wanna join me? I'm excited to get to pick Philippa Gregory's brain.

Here's the basics:
Join us on Wednesday, August 29, at 1pm ET/10 am PT (6pm London!) for a live video chat with bestselling author Philippa Gregory. We'll be discussing her new book The Kingmaker's Daughter, as well as her previous work, and her life as a novelist.

Check the link for the details.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) I would love to but I will be back at my school job by then.

« previous 1