TNBBC Presents-- Audrey Niffenegger Author Q&A discussion

Her Fearful Symmetry > Questions for Her Fearful Symmetry

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lori | 38 comments Mod
This thread is for any questions you would like Audrey to answer on Her Fearful Symmetry - the novel.

Please log into Facebook and join the fan page for a chance to win an Advanced Reader Copy of this novel!

Lori | 38 comments Mod
Audrey, I watched an interview of you where you spoke about the creation of your characters. Specifically about how each character had a part of you within them.

In this novel, one of the male characters suffers from OCD. Would you say you have a little Obsessive Complusiveness in you, and if so, what is it?

message 3: by Lori (last edited Sep 25, 2009 04:17PM) (new)

Lori | 38 comments Mod
In this novel, we have the twins, Julia and Valentina. Valentina is a mirror copy of her sister - literally. Her interal organs are backwards, opposite those of a normal person. How did you stumble across this condition, and what made you think of creating a character with it?

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) While writing "Her Fearful Symmetry", did you feel any external (or internal, for that matter) pressure to create an equally monumental book, relative to the success of "The Time Traveler's Wife"? If so, how did you deal with that?

Audrey Niffenegger | 61 comments Mod
Lori wrote: "Audrey, I watched an interview of you where you spoke about the creation of your characters. Specifically about how each character had a part of you within them.

In this novel, one of the male c..."

Martin was originally inspired by a friend of mine who had OCD. But in order to write any character you have to give them something of your own; I tried to instill Martin with kindness and loneliness, emotions I can tap into strongly.

Lori wrote: "In this novel, we have the twins, Julia and Valentina. Valentina is a mirror copy of her sister - literally. Her interal organs are backwards, opposite those of a normal person. How did you stumble..."

I first came across it in a short story by Dorothy L. Sayers, The Image in the Mirror. I don't remember exactly deciding to make Valentina a mirror twin, she just always was one.

Jennifer wrote: "While writing "Her Fearful Symmetry", did you feel any external (or internal, for that matter) pressure to create an equally monumental book, relative to the success of "The Time Traveler's Wife"? ..."

Fortunately I am a very slow writer. After a while people got tired of staring at me and waiting for me to produce a book and they wandered away, so then I was able to concentrate long enough to write it. I am amazed by writers who are seemingly able to write and tour and teach and do the Locomotion all at once.

Jeane Hi Audrey, I just saw that you will be in Dublin, Ireland for your new book. This is great news as I live in Dublin. Unfortunately there is no place determined yet. Is there any news about it?

Jeane wrote: "Hi Audrey, I just saw that you will be in Dublin, Ireland for your new book. This is great news as I live in Dublin. Unfortunately there is no place determined yet. Is there any news about it?"

Dear Jeane, Thanks for the reminder, I need to find out, myself. I'll update my website with that as soon as I get the information.

Lori | 38 comments Mod
Even though this is off the topic, Audrey - I am very much looking forward to visiting NYC on the 5th for your book signing. I know the place will be packed!

Jeane Audrey wrote: "Jeane wrote: "Hi Audrey, I just saw that you will be in Dublin, Ireland for your new book. This is great news as I live in Dublin. Unfortunately there is no place determined yet. Is there any news ..."

Thank you! I already feel so excited just thinking about it!

message 12: by Boof (last edited Oct 07, 2009 05:50AM) (new)

Boof | 3 comments I have just started reading this (about 60 pages in). So far, so good! I am really curious as to what inspired you to set most of the book in London (in particular Highgate Cemetary)? What idea came first? Did you set the story and characters around Highgate or did you choose Highgate afterwards to fit the plot and for a gothicy feel?

Also, do you believe in ghosts?

Boof | 3 comments I'm going to start bombarding now I'm further into the book :o)

Roberts sense of loss comes across as so accute to me that it is sometimes painful to read. It feels so real it's almost tangiable. Are you writing from personal experience?

Boof | 3 comments Audrey wrote: "Lori wrote: "Audrey, I watched an interview of you where you spoke about the creation of your characters. Specifically about how each character had a part of you within them.

In this novel, one of..."

I really like the character of Martin. You have done a really good job not making him a freak-show and giving him a really human side.

Boof wrote: "I have just started reading this (about 60 pages in). So far, so good! I am really curious as to what inspired you to set most of the book in London (in particular Highgate Cemetary)? What idea ca..."

I had visited Highgate Cemetery in 1996 and had taken the tour. In 2002, when I had a vague idea that there should be a cemetery in the book, I decided to use Highgate if I could because it is such a beautiful strange place, very Victorian and unique.

I am afraid I don't believe in ghosts, but people have told me some wonderful ghosts stories which they say they have personally experienced. Maybe I'm just not the sort of person ghosts like to haunt.

Boof wrote: "I'm going to start bombarding now I'm further into the book :o)

Roberts sense of loss comes across as so accute to me that it is sometimes painful to read. It feels so real it's almost tangiable..."

I have had some losses, but not the kind Robert experiences.

Boof wrote: "Audrey wrote: "Lori wrote: "Audrey, I watched an interview of you where you spoke about the creation of your characters. Specifically about how each character had a part of you within them.

In t..."

To me he is himself; the OCD is a disease that is ruining his life, but he is much more than that. I'm glad you saw that in him.

Meghan I just got your audiobook version. I am enjoying the narrator, Bianca Amato. Did you get to pick the narrator? Would you consider reading one of your books yourself?

Stephanie D.  (StephanieDM) Hi, Audrey!

I just finished the book this morning. I can't decide which I like better, this or TTW - each book just swept me into its world completely and afterwards, left me a bit exhausted (in a good way!)

I see the main relationships in the book as examples of imbalance - not at all symmetrical. Did you intend for all of them (Elspeth & Edie, Marjike & Martin, Elspeth & Robert, Julia & Valentina) to be like that? Or as you wrote the novel, they just ended up that way?

SPOILER

Also in the end, when Robert finally reads Elspeth's letter - I got confused about who was who and started trying to sort it out, but I realized perhaps it was meant to be confusing, that Elspeth and Edie themselves didn't know who was what.

Sam | 1 comments Hi Audrey,

I have just finished reading Her Fearful Symmetry, and I enjoyed it immensly.

ENDING SPOILER FOR THOSE NOT YET FINISHED...

Would you mind discussing how you decided upon the ending?

I must admit, initially I felt a little disappointed that it ended so suddenly. I've had 24 hours to reflect, and it makes a little more sense to me. There are a few points which bother me somewhat (such as how will Valentina survive with no identification etc; what became of Robert).

message 21: by Gladys (last edited Dec 22, 2010 10:41PM) (new)

Gladys Tan | 1 comments Dear Audrey,

I'm your Singapore fan!

Anyway just read this new book and it's thought-provoking, indeed not as straightforward kinda liking as Time Traveller's Wife but I still enjoyed it tremendously.

But this question keep bugging me and i hope you can reply your thoughts.. how could u bear to let Elpseth takes Valentina's body when V is her own daughter??

And of course the idea of a ghost being able to just so easily 'hook' away a life..

well, it's been an ongoing topic between me n my partner years ago whether if we shd 'linger' ard if we can afterlife to keep each other company or to let go..but after reading your book, i decided im too afraid to even stay in the same house!!

Thanks and look forward to your other book.

PS: I knw its almost a year but your book just got onto our mass bookstores.. : )

TNBBC Presents-- Audrey Niffenegger Author Q&A

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Her Fearful Symmetry (other topics)