Cafe Libri discussion

Introductions

Comments (showing 1-50 of 60) (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Adrianna (Adriannas) | 490 comments Mod
All members are encouraged to introduce themselves, especially since we will have non-Yahoo group members invited to Goodreads "Cafe Libri" group.

message 2: by Aerin, Community Greeter (new)

Aerin | 145 comments Mod
Thanks for the invite to the new group, Adrianna! I love the goodreads site and drop in almost every day just to see what people are reading and get some great ideas. Can never get enough of anything that has to do with books! :)

message 3: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Yeah, I agree! I thought this would be a nice alternate group since I figured so many of us already use the site! My to-read list is so long now! :P

message 4: by Henry (new)

Henry (HenryL) | 6 comments Adrianna, Thanks for creating this on-line version of Cafe Libri. I spend a lot of time on here and and it will be a great way to continue the discussions.

message 5: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Taylor (jatta97) | 13 comments Thanks for the invitation. I haven't explored many of the nooks and caverns of the site. I haven't seen enough of it to really appreciate what it may have to offer.

message 6: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Henry, you are very welcome! Everyone is welcome to invite friends to our group, either here or on Yahoo.

Jeffrey, once you have had time to explore the site, I bet you will become as hooked as the rest of us. I really enjoy it as a place to store my reads and reviews of books as well as a place to get suggestions for future readings!

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1 comments Howdy fellow Cafe Libri peeps!!
So glad to see we have a group here as well - I'm usually very active on GoodReads - but as of recently I haven't been because I was laid off and was 100% heads down with getting a new job. Now that I've landed one I'm pretty consumed with "making a good first impression" but I'll be back to the forums more probably in October.

Robin.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula Robin wrote: "Howdy fellow Cafe Libri peeps!!
So glad to see we have a group here as well - I'm usually very active on GoodReads - but as of recently I haven't been because I was laid off and was 100% heads dow...

Good luck Robin! Hope it goes smoothly for you.

message 9: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Aw, I am so sorry you lost your job, Robin! However, I am very happy that you have already found a new one! I really hope it goes well. Are you enjoying your new job? How are the people there? Good luck with the first impressions! :)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) Thanks for the invite Adrianna, I am from Dorset and enjoy reading alsorts at the moment, I have my own library now as well instead of a dining room as there is only me! I sit most of the time in there listening to music or audio books or reading or in the adjoining conservatory - sheer bliss!

message 11: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Wow...that does sound like sheer bliss. I am so jealous! Someday I hope to have my own library as well with a window seat. For now, most of my books are locked away in storage or scattered about a cluttered apartment, lol.

message 12: by Shelli, Co-owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Shelli | 105 comments Mod
I am glad that we expanded to Goodreads.

message 13: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Hebert (jjhebert) | 1 comments I am a fairly new Goodreads author. Loving Goodreads thus far... I agree with Shelli; what a great idea to expand this group to Goodreads!

Best,

J. J. Hebert

message 14: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 26 comments Hello!! I'm Ronyell and thanks for inviting me to this group Adrianna!! I love to read, exercise and surf on the internet and I would love to get more involved in this group!

message 15: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Taylor (jatta97) | 13 comments I haven't found this group to be very active as you can see by the relatively few recent posts. There's a fair bit more activity on the Cafe Libri's Yahoo site though. Unfortunately, it seems as though a number of people vote for a book but don't join in on the discussion. I have been a bit lax myself, too many started, not enough finished. This month's CL book should be interesting in that it may give us some insights into another culture.

message 16: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Thanks for joining, Ronyell! It's great to have new members to add to the book conversations.

I agree with Jeffrey, though. The Yahoo Cafe Libri Group is more active than the Goodreads site. I might set-up a Cafe Libri group on Shelfari, but I imagine it will be lax like this is. However, it's nice to have multiple versions around for advertising purposes. The "mother" group is and will always be the Yahoo Cafe Libri Group.

No problems about being quiet on the discussions, Jeffrey. I like keeping the reading groups as a "no pressure" community. It's more fun when we are relaxed, imho. I've been quiet myself because of personal problems and some commitment issues on Lunch Cafe Libri, but now that CK is assisting me over there with membership welcome messages, it's freeing up more time for contributions.

I'm finishing Peony in Love tonight, and then I am going to start on Midaq Alley. I can't wait to read some of your comments, Jeffrey. They are always very astute!

message 17: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Taylor (jatta97) | 13 comments Aw, shucks.

It's so good to be loved.

message 18: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Yes, it is. :)

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Shimotakahara (lshimo) | 1 comments Thanks for inviting me to join! What a great idea to shape the book club around a cafe. I am an avid reader and blogger about books and my personal life, so I look forward to getting to know you all.

I've been wanting for some time to read August's read, The God of Small Things!

Ex Lit Prof
www.the-reading-list.com

message 20: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 26 comments Hello Leslie!!! Glad you joined this club!!

message 21: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Leslie wrote: "Thanks for inviting me to join! What a great idea to shape the book club around a cafe. I am an avid reader and blogger about books and my personal life, so I look forward to getting to know you ..."

Thanks so much for joining, Leslie! I can't wait to read your thoughts about The God of Small Things. This book has been on my TBR shelf for a long time!

message 22: by Aerin, Community Greeter (new)

Aerin | 145 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Leslie, Ronyell and anyone else I might have missed. I hop around to different book groups and sometimes it's hard to keep track of what is going on where. :) Glad to see the group growing though!

message 23: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 26 comments Thank you CK!!!

message 24: by Lady (new)

Lady (BestNewFantasySeries) | 5 comments Adrianna wrote: "All members are encouraged to introduce themselves, especially since we will have non-Yahoo group members invited to Goodreads "Cafe Libri" group."

Hi Adrianna: Thank you for the invite here..will check out the Yahoo one as well. I'm delighted to see that The Hunger Games is the book for November...I was just about to read that.

I'm currently working away at book two of "The Persephane Pendrake Chronicles" but love taking breaks to talk to other 'bookies'

Cheers,
Lady Ellen
Persephane's Home

message 25: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Lady wrote: Hi Adrianna: Thank you for the..."

Welcome to the group, Lady! It's great to have you as a member here! I hope you join Yahoo Cafe Libri too!

Please join us in discussing The Hunger Games come November! It should be a lot of fun.

Congrats on your writing too!

message 26: by Aerin, Community Greeter (new)

Aerin | 145 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Lady Ellen. :)

message 27: by Lady (new)

Lady (BestNewFantasySeries) | 5 comments Thanx so much, Adrianna and Aerin...yes, looking forward to the Hunger Games..

Warmly,
LE

message 28: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 26 comments Hello Lady! Welcome to the group!!

message 29: by Lady (new)

Lady (BestNewFantasySeries) | 5 comments Hi there, Ronyell...thank you. Looking forward to discussions here..

message 30: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Lady wrote: "Thanx so much, Adrianna and Aerin...yes, looking forward to the Hunger Games..

Warmly,
LE"

No problem! It's great to have you as a member. Discussions can be a little slow, but don't hesitate to start talking up a storm. It helps to get more people involved. ;)

message 31: by Lady (new)

Lady (BestNewFantasySeries) | 5 comments Well...Ok...you asked for it...LOL I know we're reading the Hunger Games in Nov...but for anyone who has read it...I just finished it. So without adding spoilers, I'm curious what anyone found was the reason that the book was so darned compelling? I read it in 2 sessions..which for me, who is a "bee to flowers" is incredible. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
LE
www.lady-ellen.com

message 32: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Nice question, LE! I'll pose a response over in The Hunger Games Discussion Thread right now. I'm almost to chapter 7. I'll probably have to place another hold on it since I won't finish it before it's due again.

message 33: by Catherine (new)

Catherine  Mustread (Cuiblemorgan) | 49 comments Hi! I'd like to join your group as I am preparing to read The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East and would love to join the discussion. If I can get a copy of The Hunger Games I'll join in that discussion also. Do I need to join the Yahoo group also?

message 34: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Catherine wrote: "Hi! I'd like to join your group as I am preparing to read The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East and would love to join the discussion. If I can get a copy..."

Hi Catherine and welcome to the group! It's great to have you as a member here. I don't know how many people are reading The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East, but if you have comments or questions, just start discussing it in this thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

I've already posted a few comments on The Hunger Games, so if you get a copy of the book, the discussion thread for it is here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

No, you don't have to join the Yahoo version of the reading group too. It's your personal preference. Sometimes we have more book discussions that happen there, but I'm getting into the habit of cross-posting book comments at all 3 versions of Cafe Libri. :)

message 35: by Kehinde (new)

Kehinde Adeniyi (kadeniyi21) got the invite to join under my yahoo mail but saw a link for cafelibri on goodreads (I'm already hooked on it under my other email) so here i am. hope i enjoy it. i joined some other groups on here but i really don't feel involved in the discussions i have there and it sucks. hoping that won't be the case here. anyways my name is Kehinde and I'm a book freak (like that's news) can't wait to get started. my friends think I'm a freak but they just don't get how exhilarating it can be to get so invested in a good book. glad to find some people who seem to understand..

message 36: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Kehinde wrote: "got the invite to join under my yahoo mail but saw a link for cafelibri on goodreads (I'm already hooked on it under my other email) so here i am. hope i enjoy it. i joined some other groups on her..."

Yay!! Great to have "fresh blood" in both reading groups, lol! We can be a bit quiet, but just jump in and start conversations whenever. We don't bite. ;) I really hope you like being a member and stay active with us. Even if you end up lurking, we won't mind, but it's always fun if you check in and share what you've been reading once in a while. :D

BTW: My name is Adrianna, and I'm the owner of Cafe Libri! I'm also a book freak, lol. Welcome aboard!

message 37: by Krista (new)

Krista Taylor Hello!

I received the invite a while ago and decided it was time to join. I was a member of the yahoo group when they were reading Atlas Shrugged. I loved the book but life turned upside down for a while and I didn't have time to finish it and I decided to remove myself from the group. Life is back on track and I am excited to start reading and sharing!

message 38: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 26 comments Hello Krista!! Glad you joined this group!!

message 39: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Great to see you again, Krista! Have you just joined us here on Goodreads or are you back at Yahoo too? Regardless, it's great that your life is on track and you have more time for reading! I remember when we read Atlas Shrugged! That was quite a month too!

message 40: by Krista (new)

Krista Taylor Just on here. I'm not sure I would be able to juggle more than 1 group right now. I don't know how you do it!

message 41: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

LOL! It's difficult that's for sure. I have some great co-owners/moderators helping keep me sane too. :D

message 42: by Paula (new)

Paula  Phillips (ThePhantomParagrapher) | 1 comments Hi all , My name is Paula Phillips and I work by day as a Librarian and by night and in the weekends in between study , I run a book review website called The Phantom Paragrapher. I review all genres and read all books from children’s to adults. My site is what some would call an Eclectic mix and I do like variety. If you have a book that you would like reviewed – I accept both Print and EBooks, or want a bit of promotion for a new release or event, how about an author interview or guest post? If this interests you, send me an email to Paulazone@live.com and check out my site www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com.

message 43: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 26 comments Hello Paula! Glad you joined this club!!

message 44: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

"Hi all , My name is Paula Phillips and I work by day as a Librarian and by night and in the weekends in between study , I run a book review website called The Phantom Paragrapher. I review all genr..."

Welcome to the reading group, Paula! Please let me know if you have any questions about Cafe Libri. I look forward to your comments and reviews about our monthly reads. :)

message 45: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) | 9 comments Hello everybody,

Adrianna kindly invited me to join, and I'm very happy to be included in your group. (I won't be able to make the Yahoo group as well, but thank you for considering me).

I've recently joined GR and been friended by some great people who have helped me find my feet here.

My taste in books is a bit odd compared to most people, I read a good deal of non-fiction as part of my job, and I don't have much access to books except as e-versions. I'm very interested to read the The Lemon Tree as I currently live in Cairo, Egypt (although will be moving away permanently just before Christmas, and still don't know where!) and I've read the first chapter of the Hunger Games (my review explains why I read no further, and here provides a little more background).

I look forward to spending some time with you all.

message 46: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (last edited Nov 21, 2010 01:38AM) (new)

Welcome, GN! Great to have you. Don't worry about joining Cafe Libri Yahoo Reading Group. A lot of members cross-post to both sites.

Go ahead and jump into the discussion of Lemon Trees here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/405747-november-the-lemon-tree-an-arab-a-jew-and-the-heart-of-the-middle-e

There's a couple of people reading and discussing it as well as some discussion questions.

Have you read anything by Naguib Mahfouz? He has a famous trilogy called The Cairo Trilogy that friends have spoken highly about. I just read Midaq Alley if you want to read my review on it: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5499.Midaq_Alley

I'm reading The Hunger Games still, so I will have to check out the background information after I'm done. I understand your inability to finish it after starting it too.

Let me know if you have any questions! Happy reading and discussing with us!

message 47: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (polishsweetheart0911) | 61 comments I have been here for a couple of weeks and now i just found out there is an introduction section. Its ok i am a lil slow sometimes haha.

Well like GN i have been invited by Adrianna a lot of thanks there. I am here and on yahoo. I have been introduced to a lot of new books and love it. I just recently found a great interest in reading. Growing up I didnt even want to look at a book. When i landed my first fulltime job i was working graveyard and as we know nothing to much happens where i work so i decided to pick up a book well come to find out i really enjoyed that book so i picked up another and another i was reading 3 books in those weeks. Now i cant put books down I didnt realize what i was missing.

My name is Amanda, 23 and live in New Jersey. My interest in books verys as long as they can keep me hooked within the first chapter or so. I enjoy getting into discussions because so many people have different views on different books that you just learn so much then you might have if you were reading the book on your own. I love getting introduced to new books so feel free if you seen my read list to suggest any new books.

I look forward in meeting and talking with new people. So happy reading.

message 48: by Aerin, Community Greeter (new)

Aerin | 145 comments Mod
Hi Amanda,

Glad you dropped in with an introduction! :) Sometimes these threads are tough to find. I've been at Goodreads quite a while and I still have trouble finding certain threads, lol.

That's a great story about how you discovered a love of reading! I've known a couple of people who didn't find out they loved books until they were adults. I think sometimes when we're growing up and in school, some of us aren't given a variety of reading materials. You're just told you have to read something and little say in what you read. That has put out the spark with a number of young readers. I've read a few articles in the past couple of years about how schools are trying to mix it up more.

We're glad to have you here and at Shelfari and at Yahoo! :)

message 49: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) | 9 comments Adrianna wrote: "Welcome, GN! Have you read anything by Naguib Mahfouz? He has a famous trilogy called The Cairo Trilogy that friends have spoken highly about. I just read Midaq Alley if you want to read my review on it: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54...."

Thank you, Adrianna. I have read some of Naguib Mahfouz, I'm actually going to dig out the books I have and review these in the near future. I'm off to check out your review now.

Hi, Amanda and Aerin.

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (polishsweetheart0911) | 61 comments Hey Aerin,

Well i am glad i am not the only one with problems navigating.

Yeah they do pick the dumbest thing in school that dont interest us one bit. So its hard. I think the only book(s) i read fully was the cather in the rye and the house on mango street.

Thank you its good to be here!

Amanda

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Peony in Love (other topics)
Midaq Alley (other topics)
The God of Small Things (other topics)
The Hunger Games (other topics)
The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

نجيب محفوظ (other topics)