The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GENERAL HELP > Classic Literature --5th grade

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Not sure where to go or put this, but I have a 10 yr old who reads me out of house and home. He ALREADY completed his AR goal for the quarter, which he did in one week. I was suggested to have him read some classics. What would you suggest?

HE LOVES humor (captain underpants) still reads magic tree house, has devoured 39th clues series and 1/2 way done with the Percy jackson series. Hopefully that will give you some help in helping me

Katie What about an adventure like Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, Treasure Island, or The Call of the Wild?

I'm not sure what the 39th clue series is, but if he likes mysteries, you could try The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Humor is a little harder...maybe Mark Twain (not in quite the same vein as Captain Underpants).

When I was his age, I was in love with Where the Red Fern Grows.

Petra When I was his age, I liked Swiss Family Robinson, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, The Prince And The Pauper, Robinson Crusoe, Lear's Book of Nonsense (limericks, not a novel, but funny), Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer.
Enid Blyton's Famous Five and Aventure series was really good, too, I remember.

El How about something like The Hardy Boys? I have older brothers but I'm trying to remember what they were reading around that age - I seem to remember one of my brothers reading Piers Anthony (fantasy) but that might have been a few years later than 10 years old. One of them really enjoyed The Phantom Tollbooth. If your son is really an advanced reader for his age, he might even start to appreciate The Hobbit Or There and Back Again (a little more accessible than The Lord of the Rings).

I think all of Petra's suggestions are wonderful. I was in the 4th grade when I read Tom Sawyer for the first time and I remember being so thrilled with it.

I have to say I'm excited to hear your son is this excited about reading and that he's already accomplished his reading goal. That's how we were when we were kids, but I felt even then we were in the minority, and I worry it's gotten even worse today. You must be a good mom to encourage and foster that behavior; good job! :)

message 5: by readinghearts (Lyn M) (last edited Sep 11, 2009 09:56AM) (new)

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) My son was the same way (and still is at 19 BTW). His favorites were Mark Twain, The Hardy Boys, and Gary Paulsen's Hatchet series. It starts with Hatchet which is about a boy who has to survive on his own in the wilderness of Canada.

As for classics, Tom Sawyer and Huckelberry Finn are good. As well as A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthus's Court, all by Twain. Another might be The Hobbit. My son loves The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and says it is really funny, but not sure what grade level it would be at.

El Teresa, I also found this link which is a reading list for 4th/5th graders. He's probably read a lot of these but maybe there are a few he has not. There are several I've not even heard of. :)

Cait (caitertot) Bridge to Terabithia
The Egypt Game (I really liked this as a kid)

Growing up, my husband read Hatchet more times than he could count.

Maybe check out the Newberry list for ideas too: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/als...

Lisa (lbhick) | 526 comments Teresa, you can find books for your son by searching the Lexile database of books. It's really simple. If you don't know your son's lexile score ( a measurement of his reading level), then select his grade, answer a question about his current reading and then select categories of reading that interest him, like mystery, adventure or humor. Voila! The site gives you many suggestions. Here's the link:

http://fab.lexile.com/

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 617 comments Speak with the childrens' librarian at your local library, s/he might have some good ideas, or even a list.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments A Wrinkle in Time ^.^

I forget when Ralph S. Mouse comes in. Not necessarily classic lit but it's classic to me in being timeless.

Katie (cowgirl-up) | 263 comments I second Treasure Island, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Bridge to Terebithia and several others that have already been mentioned.

Not sure if they're considered classic or not, but I enjoyed The Boxcar Children at that age. Would Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing & Superfudge by Judy Blume be too below his reading level?

The Giver by Lois Lowry, Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis might be good things to challenge him, too. I remember reading all of those in 6th or 7th grade.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Katie wrote: "What about an adventure like Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, Treasure Island, or The Call of the Wild?

I'm not sure what the 39th clue series is, but ..."

I added twenty thousand leagues, and call of the wild to the list, thanks for the suggestions,

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Petra wrote: "When I was his age, I liked Swiss Family Robinson, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, The Prince And The Pauper, Robinson Crusoe, Lear's Book of Nonsense (limericks, not a novel, but funny), Hu..."

I found prince and the pauper today and he told me he KNOW loves Mark twain, didn't like him last year LOL

message 14: by Teresa in Ohio (last edited Sep 11, 2009 01:36PM) (new)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) El wrote: "How about something like The Hardy Boys? I have older brothers but I'm trying to remember what they were reading around that age - I seem to remember one of my brothers reading Piers Anthony (fant..."

I have 4 readers in my house and usually the 4 library cards are maxed out, now one only reads certain things and will reread instead of reading something new

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Lisa wrote: "Teresa, you can find books for your son by searching the Lexile database of books. It's really simple. If you don't know your son's lexile score ( a measurement of his reading level), then select..."

that is an awesome site

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) EgyCait wrote: "Bridge to Terabithia
The Egypt Game (I really liked this as a kid)

Growing up, my husband read Hatchet more times than he could count.

Maybe check out the Newberr..."

egypt game sounds like something he would read

He read the first hatchet but their looks to be more

Greyweather Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott was one I really enjoyed back at that age. I also second Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthus's Court, and the Hobbit.

I didn't read it until much later but Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card might appeal to him.

You might also want to consider Watership Down by Richard Adams and The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Petra I remember enjoying John Wyndham books in Grade 7 (The Chrysalids, Day of the Triffids, Web, and others). They may be his reading level as he soounds rather advanced.

message 20: by El (new)

El Guh, Encyclopedia Brown! I can't believe I forgot those... all three of us read them multiple times around that age. Same with The Indian in the Cupboard. (There are a couple sequels to the Indian books too.)

Greyweather Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Speak with the childrens' librarian at your local library, s/he might have some good ideas, or even a list."

I talked to the librarian who has known since he was a baby in story ti..."

Coraline is good stuff.

message 22: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 13, 2009 01:28AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Not classic, but... Has he read ALL of the Artemis Fowl books? (There are 6.) I would also recommend all of Eoin Colfer's other books. I especially loved Airman and The Supernaturalist. He also has a mystery: Half-Moon Investigations.

There's also the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz. (Starts with Stormbreaker) Not sure how many of those there are... 6 or so.

Also, check out this thread from a YA group I belong to: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) I read one of the Artemis fowl books when it first came out, I have heard of Horowitz and that group is going to be quite helpful for me thanks

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) How about The Dark Is Rising books, by Susan Cooper?

message 25: by Lori (last edited Sep 16, 2009 08:17AM) (new)

Lori  (LibraryDragon4) | 209 comments My daughter and I read the Animorph series by K.A. Applegate. It is full of adventure and humor. Aliens trying to take over the earth.

I loved the Hardy Boys when I was a kid. And I am reading the Gregor the Overlander series right now and I really like it.

The Ranger's Apprentice Series by John Flanagan is really good too.

The Pendragon Series by D. J. MacHale might be good too.

message 26: by Jan (the Gryphon) (last edited Sep 16, 2009 10:44AM) (new)

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 228 comments I'm assuming he's read the early Harry Potters. What about Kipling? Kim and The Jungle Books (not the Disney version) and The Man Who Would Be King. There are also Captains Courageous, Puck of Pook's Hill and others that seem to be the right stuff for 10-14 year old boys.

Dree You are so lucky to have a reader! My almost-10yo (4th grade) son is a reluctant reader. He still likes Capt Underpants though--though he has a little brother to read them to, which gives him a fabulous excuse.

He also enjoys:
--the Edgar and Ellen series
--Pseudonymous Bosch books
--My Weird School series (still!)
--he is reading and enjoying Island of the Blue Dolphins for school right now
--the Boxcar Children series (he has read about 5 of...150? He likes the oldest ones best.
--Diary of a Wimpy Kid books
--Hot Dog and Bob series (still!)
--my guy also loves biographies that he can read in one or two nights before falling asleep. Presidents and inventors are his favorites.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Dree wrote: "You are so lucky to have a reader! My almost-10yo (4th grade) son is a reluctant reader. He still likes Capt Underpants though--though he has a little brother to read them to, which gives him a fab..."

great list, My still reads Weird school too : )

Check out Geronmio Stitlon( spelling might be off) has colorful pictures and he LOL with them.

He devours Magic tree house books and has started on the research books.

Diary of a wimpy kid has a new one out, yellow cover and dog in the title.

ANother funny one like underpants is the series by cressida cowell , one title is a heros guide to deadly dragons,

He enjoyed The percy jackson series too

he is reading war of the worlds right now.

Melissa | 198 comments My 4th grader is into the Percy Jackson books right now and always has at least one of the Harry Potter books with him.

Something else that wasn't mentioned is the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.

When my daughter was about that age she really enjoyed the Guarians of Ga'Hoole books by Kathryn Laskey... they are about an owl civilization. Similarly, there are the Warrior series of books about cats; I just read the first in that series yesterday.

And speaking of Hardy Boys, there is a newer series of paperback HB books:Thrill Ride My son loves the originals too but the newer ones are more modern in style and setting and might be more relatable.

I love having young readers in the house... when I was a kid I went straight from Dr Seuss to Stephen King, barley pausing over Judy Blume and Beverly Clearly... now I am finally getting to enjoy some great books for kids that I missed in my own childhood.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2696 comments Teresa, I just though of a short series I read a couple years ago that your son might enjoy. It is about prehistoric bats and is fairly exciting.
I think Darkwing by Kenneth Oppel is the first one of the Silverwing Saga.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Call of the Wild (other topics)
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (other topics)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (other topics)
Treasure Island (other topics)
The Hobbit (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Eoin Colfer (other topics)