The Newbery Award and Honor Book Club discussion

David Kherdian > The Road From Home: The Story of an Armenian Girl

Comments (showing 1-7)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 7: by Joy (new)

Joy | 230 comments I enjoyed The Road from Home and I could definitely see it used in a classroom setting.

message 6: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (last edited Dec 23, 2015 05:34PM) (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) | 266 comments Mod
The Road From Home: The Story Of An Armenian Girl is written by David Kherdian; originally written in 1979 and published by Greenwillow Publishing, this is the only Newbery Honor book issued for 1980.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 86 comments It is really interesting how ignoring or emphasizing an event in literature creates a rewrite of history. I will definitely look out for "The Day of the Pelican." Thanks for the recomendation.

message 4: by Caren (new)

Caren (CarenB) | 15 comments I do agree with Megan, our history classes pass over so much stuff. There is a new wonderful book called, "The Day of The Pelican" by K. Patterson. It is about the conditions of the bosnians being chased and raped by the serbs. I found it stunning. A must read. Let's let kids know that these "holocausts" haven't stopped.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 86 comments I agree with everything that has been said so far. Veron is an excellent example of hope and optimism in the face of trouble. Throughout my junior high experience a lot of emphasis was placed on the Holocaust--we studied it in history, in English we read the theatrical adaptation of Anne Frank's diary, etc. And I think that's good, but by focusing so much on one event many others were ignored--like those faced by Armenians in Turkey just a few decades before. I never knew anything about other genocides that have occurred throughout history until I started college.
This would be a great book to use in school not only because Veron is such an inspiring heroine, or that it teaches history, but also because the history it teaches seems forgotten by most of the world.

message 2: by Adelina (new)

Adelina | 37 comments I loved this book. Books like this help me put my life more into perspective. I haven't had trials anywhere near Veron's, and I doubt many of us have. And then to ponder on it, and remember that it is a true story, just gives it more feeling than other books.
I especially liked the transition from childhood to adulthood that Veron had to go through. Not many of us grow up that quick, and even wihtout her trials the Armenians grew up quicker (seeing as how they married at 15!).

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 8 comments The first thought that I thought of when I finished the book is that this would be a good book to be used in the classroom. It's a true story - the incidents are described but not with overly graphic language - the main character had a disposition to remain hopeful and positive. A student could not only learn about the history of the event but also how to overcome despairing times. Our despairing times being quite different from the main character's despairing times!

I like how the main character notices and talks about color throughout the book. What colors she saw in the lands that they traveled through and what most stands out are the fabrics she chose for her dresses in the last 1/4 of the book.

I'm glad I read the book! Even more glad that I bought it and can now loan it out to others :o) I think the events in the book will stick in my mind for a while.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Road From Home: The Story Of An Armenian Girl (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Kherdian (other topics)