Victorian Romance Novel Fans discussion

Introduction/Group Admin > Introductions, if you please...

Comments (showing 1-50 of 116) (116 new)    post a comment »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 733 comments Mod
Please feel free to introduce yourself.

I'm Danielle. I am a bookaholic, and I love historical romance. Victorians are my favorite, other than westerns and medievals.

Wendy (Mickeymoma) | 5 comments Mod
Hi Danielle,
I am WendyK, like you I'm a bookaholic. I love medievals best but all historical romances fall into my favorites category.

Do you have a favorite book set in the Victorian era?

I did until I started typing this then it just went out of my mind!

hugs,
WendyK

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) Hello, I am Christy.

That's about it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 733 comments Mod
Hi WendyK and Christy. Thanks for joining the group.

I'll start a thread for favorites.

Susan I also enjoy historicals and have read many biographies on some famous Victorians. The clothes! Awesome but I would think you'd need a strong back to carry all that material around with you. Plus it must have taken most of the day for the ladies to change for breakfast, change for lunch, change for tea, etc. Can you imagine it??

Oh, it's crazy, Susan. Those clothes are beautiful but I could not do a corset. Much more fun to read the books and watch the movies and imagine. :)

Anna (AnnaCampbell) | 3 comments Hi Danielle! Thanks for the invite to join. I love a good Victorian! ;-) Anna x

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Jaimey. I'll read almost anything if it's historical. I love delving into the past!

The Victorian-set romances I'm most familiar with are those by Victoria Holt (romantic suspense). I also love the Zebra Gothic Romance line that was being printed during the 90s, most of which take place in Victorian England.

Great idea for a group, by the way! :o)

Rane (ranearia) Hello my name is Rane, and I adore historical romances but mostly I love Victorian, regency,Georgian era romances

Hi Jaimey and Rane. Thanks for joining.

I'm glad that there's interest in the Victorian age for romance. I haven't read too many gothics, but I'm interested. I read Jane Eyre this year and fell in love with it. Rochester! Sigh.

Ally72 Hi Danielle!
Thanks for the invitation! This will be another fun group to discuss favorite authors. I hope everyone has a relaxing Labor Day weekend (I am planning on doing lots of reading)!
Ally

Thanks for joining us, Ally. Same to you. I'm going home! Yay!

NorthernLightsGirl | 2 comments Hi Danielle,

Thanks for the invitation to join your group. I love reading Historical Romances. I don't have a favorite. I enjoy reading it all.

Joni

Dina (MissDina) | 21 comments Hello, my name is Dina and I love historical romances. I didn't use to - when I was younger I read only contemporary romances - but now I can't get enough of them. The only historical "era" I'm not too fond of is the Georgian period, because I can't take all those wigs and powder seriously. Other than that, I'm game.

Thanks for the invitation, Danielle! :)

Thanks for joining Northern Lights Girl and Dina. Like I said, I'm glad that there are other fans of the Victorian romance. Usually I like the hero in the Georgians who eschews all the girly touches. But I sure did love Lucas Kendrick in Heartless, and he is a dandy for sure.

Corrine (celromance) | 4 comments Hello, my name is Corrine, and I am a romance novel addic...

No, wait, wrong group! LOL

I love romances of all shapes and sizes, and I'm definitely looking forward to getting a LOT more Victorian rec's from this group! TBR of 400, phffft, so what?

You're definitely in the right group, with us other Romance Novel Addicts. Glad to have you, Corrine.

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 71 comments Thanks for the invite, Danielle.

I'm Julie, and like everyone else here I love all romance with my favorite sub-genre being historical. My favorite time-periods are probably Regency, Victorian, and Frontier/Western, but give me anything historical and I'm a happy camper.:-)

Adrienne Hi I'm Adrienne, I enjoy reading historicals and tend to get drawn to either the Victorian or Regency eras. I enjoy Westerns set in this time frame as well as the more traditional setttings with perhapes a dark or 'gothic' feel to them.
I like it when authors include little gems about social wefare in these times....especially things affecting woman. I also like details about costumes etc.

Hi Adrienne. Thanks for joining. I like seeing how women lived and survived in historical books. One of those fringe benefits of historical romance.

Rieh Medin (Dracosilverwolf) | 2 comments Hi I'm Rieh!

I'm pretty new to the Victorian Romance book world, but of what I've read so far I've loved. I'm eager to learn good titles to read.

<3

message 24: by K. (new)

K. (KODoharty) | 35 comments Hey everyone! I'm K., and I love romance novels set in all time periods and subgenres, but historials are my first love, especially the Victorian, Regency, and Scottish Higlands settings. The only setting I'm not too crazy about is the American old west (dedicated westerns). I still read them once in a while, but I have an EX who was a cowboy . . . so I've been "damaged"! LOL! ;)
K.

Holly | 1 comments Helloooo!

My name is Holly. I like pretty much anything that has romance in it. I used to not like contemporary romances. Now I can't get enough of them. I don't know how it happened. One day a flip just switched and suddenly I had over a hundred contemporary romance/romantic suspense novels waiting to be read. So I figure why not do the same with Victorian romances.

I've read a few Brenda Joyce novels, Amanda Quick's Victorians, a few Victoria Holts, a few others but I couldn't say that I've ever intentionally sought a book out because it was set in the Victorian era. I look forward to the recommendations. Cheers!

Welcome, Rieh, and K. Rieh just think how many great books you have ahead of you? Joy! K, my first love is historicals. I can understand your issues with cowboys. I went to school with some poor example of cowboys, but I like the ones that live between the pages of my books. I think I dislike rakes because of seeing the rakish behavior of family members. Maybe that's the same thing as your issues with cowboys?

Welcome, Holly. Good to see you here. Thanks for joining.

message 28: by K. (new)

K. (KODoharty) | 35 comments Danielle, LOL, I think that's exactly it! The EX also resembled Matthew McConoaughey . . . and I don't find I want to watch him as a leading man either! It's kind of put a taint on it for me. What a shame! :(
K.

I'm not a Matthew McConaghey fan. He reminds me of some bozos I knew in vet school. Not cowboys, more good old boys (no offense intended to anyone. I personally am not attracted to that type).

Linds | 22 comments Hi, my name is Lindsey - I love to read!

I have always loved Jane Austen, the Bronte's, etc but have just recently gotten into historical romances. I am loving them, especially Lisa Klempes.

SheLove2Read (SherriH95) Hi I'm Sherri and I love all things historical.

Glad you joined, Linds and Sherri.

Linds I fell in love with Charlotte Bronte's writing this year, when I read Jane Eyre. My goal is to read all the Brontes. I have Jane Austen on my shelf, but I think I got lazy about reading her books because of being bombarded with all the movies. :)

message 33: by dreamwild1985 (last edited Sep 04, 2009 10:51AM) (new)

dreamwild1985 | 5 comments hi all,

i've actually never read a historical romance *waits for fight to break out* ...but i am a fan of romance in general. and i am willing to broaden my horizons, if you will. so bring on the recommendations! (and thanks for the invite danielle :-)

message 34: by Carmela (last edited Sep 04, 2009 11:10AM) (new)

Carmela | 4 comments Hi all.My name is Carmela and historical romance is one of my favorite genres.For victorian/regency era,I like Barbara Cartland and medieval era would have to be Rebecca Brandewine for me.

Welcome Dreamwild and Carmela. Glad to have you. Maya there are some resident exports on historical romance on this forum, so hopefully you will find you enjoy it. I love historical. My first romance novel love, in fact. Carmela I used to read Barbara Cartland back in the day. What are your favorites by her?

Debbie (halfpint66) | 12 comments I'm Debbie. I'm 42 yrs old. Divorced, live in Virginia. I love all genres of romance except for Sci-fi and Futuristic which is the same thing really I guess. I also don't like a lot of mystery overshadowing the romance.

Welcome Debbie! Glad to have you. I don't like mystery to overshadow romance either.

new_user dreamwild1985 wrote: "hi all,

i've actually never read a historical romance *waits for fight to break out* ...but i am a fan of romance in general. and i am willing to broaden my horizons, if you will. so bring on th..."

*breaks bottle* Them be fightin' words! LOL, JK. That's cool that you're willing to give them a try, Maya. :)

message 39: by Carmela (last edited Sep 04, 2009 05:43PM) (new)

Carmela | 4 comments Thank you for the warm welcome,Danielle.An Unexpected Love and The Disgraceful Duke com to mind but I've been reading her for 30 years and honestly haven't read one I don't like.(Though I can't recall all of them)lol

Sandra (sanddune) Hi, my name is Sandra. I look forward to fun and a change of pace with Victorian Novels. Does anyone else here like books by Anne Perry? Also where do Regency Romances fall in time period? Regency obviously but is that near the Victorian period?

message 41: by Carmela (last edited Sep 04, 2009 06:23PM) (new)

Carmela | 4 comments regency was 1811-1820 and victorian was 1837-1901.The period of time between 1788-1830 is sometimes called the extended regency.Hope that helps:)

dreamwild1985 | 5 comments new_user wrote: "dreamwild1985 wrote: "hi all,

i've actually never read a historical romance *waits for fight to break out* ...but i am a fan of romance in general. and i am willing to broaden my horizons, if you ..."

LOL, new! yeah, i'm def. willing to give them a try. i enjoy so many different types of romance novels that i'm sure i will enjoy historical as well (so long as the romance is the central theme). ...can't wait to introduce myself to uncomfortable under garments, heaving bosoms, and heroes that say things like hither and yon ;-) lol

Sandra (sanddune) Carmela, thanks. That helps a great deal. Appreciate your taking time to answer. (Regency 1811-1820 and Victorian 1837-1901.)

Carmela | 4 comments No problem,Sandra.Glad to help.

Too funny, Maya!
I know what you mean, Carmela. It's hard to remember all the books I've read.

Char (char3) | 8 comments Danielle wrote: "Please feel free to introduce yourself.

I'm Danielle. I am a bookaholic, and I love historical romance. Victorians are my favorite, other than westerns and medievals. "

Hi Everyone: I'm Char. I love reading as long as it's romance with an HEA (also prefer Alphas in my stories). Started with just historicals but now read most any genre but historicals remain my favorite (especially Regencies, Victorians and Westerns).

Welcome to the group, Char. Thanks for joining.

Readdiction | 1 comments Hello! I'm Fiz, and I love romance novels and novels with romantic elements.
I am also hyper loving some of the Victorian novels released this year. I bow down to Meredith Duran, O' Great One.

Even one of my all-time favorite heroes come from the Victorian era. St Vincent, *rawr*

Welcome aboard, Fiz. I love St. Vincent. :) I have Meredith Duran's books in the tbr waiting to read.

Aimee (myflutteringheart) | 2 comments Hi everyone!

I heart Victorial novels, and I certainly don't mindthem containing romance. Sometimes I'll review them on my blog. If you'd like to check it out its:

www.myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

I love new visitors :)

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Heartless (other topics)
Somebody Wonderful (other topics)
Somebody To Love (other topics)
The Rat Catcher (other topics)
Love Between the Lines (other topics)
More...