The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 51-81 of 81) (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by PDXReader (new)

PDXReader Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "for Saudi Arabia I would recommend City of Veils: A Novel...its a murder mystery type set there...there is another book by her also Finding Nouf: A Novel that I haven'..."

Finding Nouf: A Novel is actually the first in the series, and I thought it was pretty good - enough so that I've purchased City of Veils: A Novel

message 52: by Dee (new)

message 53: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 606 comments i'm plannign on using Finding Nouf for Saudi Arabia...I didn't realize City of Veils was a second in a series until I started reading ;)

Miss GP wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "for Saudi Arabia I would recommend City of Veils: A Novel...its a murder mystery type set there...there is another book by her also [book:Findi..."

message 54: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments I read The Witch of Portobello and I know it took place in several locations but I forgot to note them I seem to remember Scotland, Romania and Dubai (does it even count? I'd never heard of it before) Does anyone know for sure what the locations are?

message 55: by Diane (new)

Diane | 457 comments Lahni wrote: "I read The Witch of Portobello and I know it took place in several locations but I forgot to note them I seem to remember Scotland, Romania and Dubai (does it even count? I'd never h..."

I have not read the book, so I'm not sure of the locations. Any one country where a significant portion of the book takes place would count. Dubai is a city in United Arab Emirates.

message 56: by Ines (new)

Ines (sai_) | 25 comments Quick question--I read Valerio Massimo Manfredi's The Lost Army, which in 4th century BC takes place in Syria. In modern days, most of the book takes place in Turkey. Can I claim it as either of the two countries, or should I lean towards the modern/ancient country definitions?

message 57: by Diane (new)

Diane | 457 comments Ines wrote: "Quick question--I read Valerio Massimo Manfredi's The Lost Army, which in 4th century BC takes place in Syria. In modern days, most of the book takes place in Turkey. Can I claim it as either of th..."

I'll accept either one.

message 58: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) I found another one for Vietnam: Dragon House by John Shors.

message 59: by LadyHeather (new)

LadyHeather (LadyHeather_NL) | 58 comments I don't know if this link was all ready on here? If it was, sorry for the duplication!

Stop Your Killing Me - Location Index

It might be a good addition to all the recommended books here in this tread :) , this link already provided
BiblioTravel

and the goodreads places site

:)

message 60: by Diane (new)

Diane | 457 comments LadyHeather wrote: "I don't know if this link was all ready on here? If it was, sorry for the duplication!

Stop Your Killing Me - Location Index

It might be a good addition to all the recommended books here in this ..."

Awesome resources! Thank you!

message 61: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jan 11, 2011 03:24PM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) I've been hunting for books in European countries and I think I've found a few that haven't been mentioned in this thread. I'm not 100% certain they qualify as far as location and book length, though.

Bosnia and Herzegovina: From Bosnia with Love by Javed Mohammed
Greenland: The Picture Maker by Penina Keen Spinka
Iceland: Blue Fox by Sjon
Latvia: The Merry Baker of Riga by Boris Zemtzov
Luxembourg: The Butterfly of Luxembourg by Lonnie D. Story
Macedonia: The Internationals by Sarah May
Moldova: Stella’s Sisters by Philip Cameron
Serbia: Götz and Meyer by David Albhari
Slovenia: The Case of Einstein’s Violin by William Sullivan
Vatican City: Mistress of the Vatican by Eleanor Herman

And I may be revealing my ignorance of geography and/or history, but why isn't Kosovo on the list for Europe?

message 62: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jan 11, 2011 03:51PM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) AND I found a book for San Marino!

The Dragon's Clause by Kelly Harmon

Set in 1600's Italy, The Dragon's Clause, is about the city of San Marino’s bargain with a dragon and how forgetfulness can lead to destruction.

It's available for Kindle or download. I don't think it's long enough to qualify for the challenge, though. :(

message 63: by Diane (new)

Diane | 457 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "AND I found a book for San Marino!

The Dragon's Clause by Kelly Harmon

Set in 1600's Italy, The Dragon's Clause, is about the city of San Marino’s bargain with a dragon and how forgetfulness ca..."

Great find, but it is too short.

message 64: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jan 22, 2011 01:02PM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) For Antarctica:

Surviving Antarctica - Andrea White
Blood and Ice - Robert Masello
Antarktos Rising - Jeremy Robinson
At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft
In Cold Pursuit - Sarah Andrews

message 65: by LadyHeather (new)

LadyHeather (LadyHeather_NL) | 58 comments Greenland: The Explorer's Daughter I read it in Dutch and really liked it.

‘Herbert applies a photographer’s eye and an eloquent pen to the beauty of the Arctic landscape’ according to the daily telegraph, and I agree.

message 66: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 606 comments just saw this one advertised for Qatar - which I think is going to be one of the hardest - My Life in Doha: Between Dream and Reality

message 67: by LadyHeather (last edited Feb 02, 2011 08:08AM) (new)

LadyHeather (LadyHeather_NL) | 58 comments I was in a book shop today and saw Little Princes One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan. I think it will do for Nepal (reading the description...) and I hope to read it when I get there on my journey!

message 68: by Diane (new)

Diane | 457 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "just saw this one advertised for Qatar - which I think is going to be one of the hardest - My Life in Doha: Between Dream and Reality"

That looks really good.

message 69: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 606 comments for Greenland - Cold Earth

message 70: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Mar 27, 2011 03:58PM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) Another resource for finding books: http://www.packabook.com

message 71: by ilona (new)

ilona (svaubajkama) Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "Another resource for finding books: http://www.packabook.com"

message 72: by Diane (new)

Diane | 457 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "Another resource for finding books: http://www.packabook.com"

Love it!

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) And another way to find books: www.bookssetin.com

message 74: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 164 comments Does anyone know where exactly Hothouse Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire: A Novel takes place? Is it Mexico or Belize? Thanks!

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) Jayme VA wrote: "Does anyone know where exactly Hothouse Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire: A Novel takes place? Is it Mexico or Belize? Thanks!"

I haven't read it but the goodreads summary says, "Deep in the rain forests of Mexico..." And on bookssetin.com, it's listed under Mexico. HTH.

message 76: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 164 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "Jayme VA wrote: "Does anyone know where exactly Hothouse Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire: A Novel takes place? Is it Mexico or Belize? Thanks!"

I haven't read it but the good..."

Thanks- I don't know how I missed that!

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) The Desmond Elliot longlist was released this week and includes this novel set in Kashmir: The Collaborator by Mirza Waheed.

message 78: by LindaD (new)

LindaD (freedom333) | 253 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "And another way to find books: www.bookssetin.com"

thanks for another great resource link!

message 79: by Jayme VA (last edited Aug 15, 2011 11:40AM) (new)

Jayme VA | 164 comments Hi Everyone,

I found this resource via one of the ads on goodreads. Its still a bit new, but could be great for hard to find countries as they add to the list. Enjoy!

Amazon Crossing

message 80: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 164 comments Also found this resource for African Writers, which includes the country of the author: African Books Collective

message 81: by Charles (new)

Charles James | 1 comments For Kenya: Peninah's Passion, it also includes Uganda and Spain.

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

After the Quake (other topics)
Kafka on the Shore (other topics)
An Artist of the Floating World (other topics)
Norwegian Wood (other topics)
South of the Border, West of the Sun (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Almeida Garrett (other topics)
Luís de Sttau Monteiro (other topics)
Vergílio Ferreira (other topics)
José Maria de Eça de Queirós (other topics)
Sofi Oksanen (other topics)
More...