Clean Reads for Mormon Teenagers discussion

Book Discussions > Abinadi

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey guys there is a book called Abinadi by HB Moore. DON'T READ IT!!!! It is not an appropriate book. Just thought I'd let ya know!

message 2: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Jayda | 2310 comments Mod
Whoa, why??? What's wrong with it?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I will explain when my brother is not sitting next to me.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The author has Alma (SR.) doing some things with a lady that he shouldn't.

message 5: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Is it detailed? I read some reviews on it (I'd think that at least most of them are Mormon) and they all said that it was really good, but more romance than the actual story is.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Not really detailed.

message 7: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Hm. Interesting.
Well, I guess people can choose to read it if they want. At least it isn't detailed. Is it like Breaking Dawn?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have never read any of the Twilight books.

message 9: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Really? They're really good ^^

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 01, 2009 09:42AM) (new)

3 things. One I don't want want to. Two We were told in Seminary we should not read them.
Three I am not allowed anyway.

message 11: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

You were told in seminary not to read them? My old seminary teachers (old, I mean, because I'm doing homestudy this year) have read them and love them. I think even our Bishop has read them.

Oh well, it's all a matter of taste, I guess :)

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily i severely dislike Twilight

message 13: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I severely like Twilight ^^

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

lol

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah my teacher was talking a bit about how Twilight affects people in a bad way.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

By the way guys this is the book I am talking about! ABINADI by Heather B. Moore

message 17: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I'm really interested in the book now.
I'll try to find it so that I can just borrow instead of buy it and let you guys know how it turns out.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Could you? I want to finish it but I am a bit nervous to.

message 19: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

You've started it already? Then why don't you finish it :) I think it might be sold in church bookstores... I don't know where I could find it to just borrow, but if I can manage, I'll read it and let you guys know.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I did start it. I am just nervous it could develop into something I really don't want and shouldn't read.

message 21: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I don't think it will, in all honesty. Obviously it's a Mormon author that wrote it (what non-member would write a fiction book about a prophet in the Book of Mormon that they'd have to study?) and a lot of people like it. I read the reviews - all people said was that it was more of a romance novel than the actual story in the Book of Mormon. Why don't you proceed and than if it does get bad you can just stop?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I will try.

message 23: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I looked her up. She's a goodreads author and she's active Mormon :) The book should be perfectly fine.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay!

message 25: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (GoneBananaz) | 101 comments Yeah, they all look really good. I really wouldn't worry. I was planning on reading them sometime. She also has the book Alma and something else about Nephi I think. It's called "Of Goodly Parents" or something. It's a series. Tell me how it ends, I'm curious!

Personally, I would talk with my seminary teacher about saying that you shouldn't read twilight. I can understand a personal opinion, but s/he has no right to tell you not to read them. I personally don't like after New Moon 'cause it... just starts to feel...dark I guess. But that's my opinion. The only real problem I had with them was overobsession. I totally ignored the world (including church) when I had them infront of me.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Just wanted to add, that just because it's a Mormon author doesn't mean the book is safe or adherent to the standards of the church. (cough~ Twilight. But you all already know my personal opinion on that from that How do we Define Clean? topic.)

Anways, I think it's a very effective tool that Satan can use to pull people away. If he can get Mormon authors to write books that appeal to members, he can rationalize it with "well, they're Mormon too. So it must be OK." There are plenty of members of the church who claim to be active but who quite obviously flout the standards of the church. They can definitely be good people, but that doesn't make what they do write. Being a member of the church does not automatically guarantee that you are righteous and safe.

Remember the parable of the 10 virgins? They refer to the members of the church. There's going to be a big divide in the church that will be even more visible as the last days commence onwards. Kingdom builders and kingdom dwellers. We want to be Kingdom builders. Not coasters who once they're baptized think they're safe and can do whatever they want.

Satan is very sly, and very knowledgeable about all of us. His greatest desire is to drag us down to everlasting hell. It's a reality, and he will stop AT NOTHING! And even though God is omnipotent and all powerful, just because we're under his protection doesn't mean that Satan isn't going to have plenty of opportunity to try to get us.

God had to be tested and tried LOADS to become like he is. It is a trial by fire, and we have to always decide which side we are on, in everything we do. And make sure it is the Lord's side.

And, personally, I think if you have been warned that something inappropriate is going to happen in a book, just put it down and don't pick it up again. Why risk coming across it if you can avoid it. You've been warned. Take the warning. You'll feel better about yourself.

I guess, just hold to the rod, which is the word of God. There's lots of great fiction out there that is uplifting and clean, just take the effort to find it.

Just because it's sold at Generations doesn't mean it's right. Even the strongest members of the church can be led away.

Satan knows each of us individually. He is our brother also, and we knew him in the pre-existence.
He knows what our weaknesses are, so we need to constantly work to figure out what those are and pray for strength to let God make "weak things become strong unto us."

Like the B.O.M. scripture mastery: Ether 12:27
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weaknesses that they may be humble. And my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me. And if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

Satan's real, and he knows what will tempt us the most. What he can get us to rationalize. He puts bad things into things that are mostly good so that we miss them or become slowly desensitized to them.

Anywho.. that's what I think. And really it makes a lot of sense. Our one purpose is to get back to Heavenly Father, and there's lots of great stuff that is entertaining and uplifting. ( I love those seminary NT videos... ^^)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, sorry, I spelled "right" wrong. Guess I'm a bit preoccupied.

;P

message 28: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I understand what you mean, Alyssa, and I think that most of it is true (except I don't agree that Twilight is a bad thing =P), however. I just looked it up at Deseret Bookstore online and they sell it there, and all of the readers say that it's a really good read. Here are the reviews:

http://deseretbook.com/item/5016823/A...

None of them say anything about bad stuff happening. I think Meghan assumed (sorry if I'm wrong!) that because the story is more of a romance than the actual story of Abinadi, that there would be bad things in there? Am I wrong, Meghan?

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be honest Jayda I have never read twilight. I have always had bad feelings about them. I even prayed about it and I feel very strongly I need to stay away from them. It's the same with Abinadi.

message 30: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Really? Wow! Well, if you've prayed about it and that's how you feel, then stay away from them :) I'll try and get my hands on Abinadi sometime soon and I'll let you know how it turns out, because now I'm curious as to how it turns out! :)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool! Do so!

message 32: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Okay, here you go guys. I received a message from the author of this book and she explained things about this book :) Read up!:

It's not a book written to a teenage target market, although many teens have read it (my two teenagers have read it). It's written for an adult audience that covers complex and serious themes.

But if you haven't read Abinadi for yourself, then to answer the "infidelity" scene, rest assured there are no details or descriptions. The reader just knows that Alma has finally succumbed to temptation. The reason I decided that Alma (the Elder) would "really" sin is because it says that he did in the Book of Mormon. It's not because I wanted to put in a suggestive scene. When Alma repents, it is because he has truly sinned, and not because he has committed white sins like swearing or telling a lie. If Alma can repent of a sexual transgression, then that tells us the Atonement is real and that repentence really does wash you clean. Alma descends to the depths of despair for the mistakes he has made, so this book in no way endorses any type of wickedness.

The message of Abinadi is that repentence is real. And that if we don't repent, then we will be punished. Fortunately the high priest Alma repented before the Lamanites attacked the city of Nephi. Alma was able to make it safely away with the other believers.

I do think it wise that if you are reading something and feel uncomfortable, then stop. There are many books I've started and then stopped reading, even if they have been highly recommended by friends. So you do need to follow the voice inside you. Only you know what your spirit can handle and what information it needs at this time.

Just fyi, the next book in the series is called ALMA. It continues the story, but one of the characters is Amulon. Gospel scholars have characterized Amulon as the most wicked man in the Book of Mormon. So he does some truly evil things. This book isn't for teens either, but written for an adult audience. There is no swearing, no graphic violence, no uncomfortable descriptions, but there is a part where Amulon tries to rape a woman (but he is unsuccessful).

Then the 3rd in the series: ALMA THE YOUNGER will be out June 2010. This is the most intense of the three. But it still adheres to LDS standards, and you won't see anything in there that's not in the Book of Mormon. But a warning would be that Alma the Younger does sin, and he becomes wicked enough that he is able to split the church up (as outlined in Mosiah).

Rest assured (there was one comment in there), that I am a Mormon in good standing. I do agree that you can't assume a "Mormon" author will only write good things. You would be surprised at how many national authors out there are Mormons and are writing books that I wouldn't ever read.

Happy future reading!
www.hbmoore.com

message 33: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Wow that was really nice of her! I especially liked this part

I do think it wise that if you are reading something and feel uncomfortable, then stop. There are many books I've started and then stopped reading, even if they have been highly recommended by friends. So you do need to follow the voice inside you. Only you know what your spirit can handle and what information it needs at this time.

She understands that even though it is clean it may not be right for some people or teens.

message 34: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Yeah, she was really kind and wise about it :) I appreciated the message!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

wow. yeah.

message 36: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 631 comments Wow that's really great. Those books have looked good so I've been wanting to read them.

message 37: by Allison (new)

Allison | 141 comments deleted user wrote: "Just wanted to add, that just because it's a Mormon author doesn't mean the book is safe or adherent to the standards of the church. (cough~ Twilight. But you all already know my personal opinion o..."

Gosh, I agree. It's like, "Hello Mormon authors! Can you PLEASE make me believe you are still Mormon by making your books appropriate for Mormons? Love, Mormon Teen Who Looks Up To You Guys Because She Wants To Follow In Your Footsteps And Wants To Be A CLEAN Mormon Writer."

It annoys me.

message 38: by Annette (new)

Annette (AnnetteKLarsen) | 6 comments I love this discussion and think it's so important that everyone makes their own decision and judgment calls about the books they read. It's true that some books are just bad, but there are many that could affect one person in a negative way, but not have that same affect on someone else. We all bring our own baggage to the table when we read, so what is right for one, is not right for all. I think the Twilight series demonstrates that well. I read the book before all the crazy hype started and I loved it. But I was definitely able to see how it pulls some people in, and caused obsessive behavior. For me, I liked the idea that despite the incredible temptation set before Edward and his family, they made the choice to rise above and resist, instead of just saying, "this is what I am and there's nothing I can do about it". However, I also saw how Bella's relationship with Edward was addictive and not really healthy.

We have to always keep our eyes open and be discerning no matter what the situation or subject matter. Main characters in books aren't always going to be smart, or good examples. That being said, I think it's important that we all keep demanding cleaner, better fiction so that authors and publishers know that the demand for it is there.

message 39: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (Woodhawk) I completely agree with Annette. Great comment!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Abinadi (other topics)