The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Best and Worst Books of the Summer 09 Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 71) (71 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Bonnie (last edited Aug 27, 2009 03:57AM) (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments So, Cynthia, let me know if this is a bad topic/the wrong file. But I think it could be fun/useful for people to post their one-star and five-star books from the last challenge. It's always fun to see what people think, plus it can give people ideas for what to read for this challenge by looking at other people's five-stars (or one-stars if they have completely opposite book tastes).

Five Stars:

(1) Water for Elephants Water for Elephants

(2) Life of Pi Life of Pi

(3) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

(4) The Blind Assassin The Blind Assassin

(5) The Red Tent The Red Tent

(6) Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice

(7) A Thousand Acres  A Novel A Thousand Acres A Novel

One Star:

(1) Casca  The Barbarian (Casca #5) Casca The Barbarian

(2) Confessions of an Economic Hit Man Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

(3) The Other Boleyn Girl The Other Boleyn Girl

(4) The Secret Life of Josephine  Napoleon's Bird of Paradise The Secret Life of Josephine Napoleon's Bird of Paradise

Luckily for me, much more 5-stars than 1-star for me this summer. I was impressed by the number of really good books I found.

Terri (TerriSA-UK) | 216 comments Good idea!

I'm very mean with my 5 stars ... only one made the grade during the summer!

The Owl Killers The Owl Killers

It seems I'm also pretty mean with one stars! I've given none a one during the summer, but my worst read was ...

The Bridges of Madison County The Bridges of Madison County ... snore!!!

(I have a feeling this thread might be responsible for a large number of additions to my wishlist!)

message 3: by Bonnie (last edited Aug 27, 2009 04:21AM) (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments I saw The Owl Killers mentioned the other day, but didn't think anything of it. I just added it to my TBR list. It looks good!

Usually it's really hard to get a 1-star from me (usually I give books I don't like 2-stars). But this time around I read some real doozies.

Terri (TerriSA-UK) | 216 comments lol, I've just added A Thousand Acres to mine!

I found The Owl Killers to be absolutely fascinating - I learnt a lot about a period of history I knew little about, the plot was really good and I was gripped from beginning to end!

BUT, I also liked The Other Boleyn Girl! That was a 4* read for me!

message 5: by Dionisia (last edited Aug 27, 2009 04:39AM) (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 406 comments I am just realizing I haven't given out any five stars this summer! Here are a few I really enjoyed and others not so much.

Hits:
The Boulevard of Broken Dreams
The Marriage of True Minds
[image error]
The Stress of Her Regard

Miss:
Mrs. Dalloway

Bomb! Run for your life! Oh the horror:
The Almost Moon

Terri (TerriSA-UK) | 216 comments Haha! Got to agree with you re Almost Moon!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Great topic!

I didn't really give out many five star books either but I read more good books than bad ones..so that's always a good thing!

Some of my favorites of the challenge:

Those Who Save Us
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Speak
Water for Elephants

ONE STAR:

ALMOST MOON!!!

Emily | 131 comments I didn't participate in the summer challenge, but my top book of my summer reading was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

And the only book that I have ever given one star to is Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The. Usually when I don't enjoy a book I just put it down, but I had to read that one for school back in 10th grade and couldn't stand it.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Emily wrote: "I didn't participate in the summer challenge, but my top book of my summer reading was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

And the only book that I have ever given one star to is [bo..."

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is one of my ALL TIME favorites!!

Kim | 166 comments I read a couple of 5 star books for the summer read
The Thirteenth Tale
and one called Search dog- about a mountain rescue dog in the Peak District.

There was only one 1*
You Only Live Twice

I will be looking for books to add to my ever increasing tbr pile aswell!

Katie (cowgirl-up) | 263 comments Great idea!

5 Star Reads

The Photograph

The Poisonwood Bible

I didn't have any 1 star reads, but these were my 2 stars:

Cooked  My Journey from the Streets to the Stove

The Reader

[image error]

message 12: by Cynthia, The SCM (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Mod
No I don't mind at all. This is a good place for it because I do think that you can tell a lot about a person by the books they love. I read a lot I loved this summer and not so many I hated.

My 5 Star Books From The Summer Challenge
[image error] Visions of Sugar Plums (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #1) To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9) Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10) Santa's Angels (Avalon Romance) Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11) Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, #12) Plum Lovin' (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #2) Curse of the Spellmans (Spellman Series, Book 2) Super in the City [image error] Lean Mean Thirteen (Stephanie Plum, #13) Plum Lucky (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #3) Fearless Fourteen (Stephanie Plum, #14) New Moon (Twilight, #2) Revenge of the Spellmans (Spellman Series, Book 3) A Bride in the Bargain Addition Truffles by the Sea The Last of the Honky-tonk Angels Eclipse (Twilight, #3) [image error] Etta  A Novel Outlander (Outlander, #1) Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) [image error]

My 1&2 Star Books From The Summer Challenge
Citizen Girl Etta Place  Her Life and Times With Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Women of the West) Book Lust  Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason

Amanda | 410 comments I really loved: Empire of the Sun by JG Ballard, The Lord of the Rings by Tolkein, and the Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad.

I reallllyyyy disliked: The Princess of Cleves by Madame de Lafayette, Where Angels Fear to Tread by EM Forster, and the Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing

Erin Carney | 157 comments Great idea!

5 Stars:
Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz
American Wife A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

1 Star:
Jack's Widow by Eve Pollard
The Silent Speaker by Rex Stout
Summer Reading by Hilma Wolitzer

message 15: by Candace (last edited Aug 27, 2009 07:42AM) (new)

Candace (CandaceRenee) | 185 comments I like this idea!! Some of my 5 stars were re-reads, but I still loved them and wanted to include them here :) I've also included some of the other books I read after I finished the challenge because I had a few more 5 stars after that!

5 Star
The Time Traveler's Wife [image error] Love the One You're With The Host [image error] New Moon (Twilight, #2) Eclipse (Twilight, #3) [image error] Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5) (partial draft) Persuasion A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5) [image error] Something Borrowed Something Blue City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) Big Boned (Heather Wells, Book 3)

1 Star
The House on Mango Street The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Beauty, #1)

Most of what I read seemed to be more along the lines of 3 and four stars :)

Bridgit | 384 comments I guess I am pretty critical. I don't give out many 5 stars, but I do give out a lot of one stars. Here are my favorite books from this summer though:

Salt  A World History - This was absolutely FASCINATING. Highly recommended.

Plain Truth

Hated:
Wise Blood  A Novel
Julie and Romeo
Wuthering Heights
The Sudoku Murder  A Katie McDonald Mystery (Katie Mcdonald Mystery)

message 17: by Usako (last edited Aug 28, 2009 08:06AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Didn't have any one star reads but here's the list of books that I read this summer (some didn't fit into the challenge mind)

Five Star
[image error] [image error] Water for Elephants Good Omens  The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch Bel Canto Persuasion The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters, #3)

Two Stars
Fairy Tale [image error] Great Lives  Esther  A Woman of Strength and Dignity

message 18: by El (new)

El I'm pretty picky when it comes to giving out 5 stars, but...

Thumbs up
Bonjour Tristesse The Pillars of the Earth Medea and Other Plays The River Ki (Japan's Women Writers) Life and Times of Michael K

Thumbs down
The Story of Lucy Gault Mirage A Conspiracy of Paper Jazz (Contemporary Fiction, Plume)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I didn't participate in the Summer Challenge (my brain needed a break), but I DID read over the summer...

5 Star Reads
[image error] [image error] Major Crush (Simon Romantic Comedies) Shadowland (The Mediator, Book 1) Darkest Hour (The Mediator, Book 4) Haunted (The Mediator, Book 5) Twilight (The Mediator, Book 6) The Year Of Secret Assignments Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) Book of a Thousand Days Maus I  A Survivor's Tale  My Father Bleeds History City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) The Boy Next Door (Boy Series, Book 1) [image error] Maus II  A Survivor's Tale  And Here My Troubles Began

I didn't rate any below 3 stars, but from the Winter and Spring Challenges:

2 Star Read
2001  A Space Odyssey
Oye... I gave it two stars, because it had parts that were interesting, but for the most part, it was just BORING... and yet, was he on some kind of hallucinogen when writing the ending??? The movie was better, but only because I was able to watch it at 1.5 speed. ;)

1 Star Read
The Road
I couldn't finish it. AND, this book is the reason I put off reading The Hunger Games... grrr!

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments @Bridget - I'm glad I'm not the only one who REALLY didn't like Wuthering Heights!!!

Bridgit | 384 comments Sara wrote: "@Bridget - I'm glad I'm not the only one who REALLY didn't like Wuthering Heights!!!

"

Oh gosh. I HATED it. One of the worst books I have ever read. I have no idea what people see in it.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Bridgit wrote: "Sara wrote: "@Bridget - I'm glad I'm not the only one who REALLY didn't like Wuthering Heights!!!"

Oh gosh. I HATED it. One of the worst books I have ever read. I have no idea what people se..."

I always get Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre confused... I didn't like either. But Wuthering Heights?? It was AWFUL! So full of hatred and pettiness and betrayal and lying... gaaahhh! Awful!

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 427 comments I wasn't completely blown away by anything I read this summer nor did I have any total stinkers, so didn't have any 1 star or 5 star ratings.

But from my 4 star reads, the one I'd most highly recommend would be:
Until They Bring the Streetcars Back

Read this for my face-to-face book club and really enjoyed it. It was a quick read and had a lot of interesting points to discuss with the larger group.

And the two I disliked the most intensely were (2 stars):
Ella Enchanted Stardust of Yesterday (Haunting Hearts Series)

I didn't like either of them and the only reason I didn't give them 1 star was because they elicited absolutely no emotional response from me, which is a requirement for me to give a book 1 star. I have to really loathe something before I give it 1 star!

Candace (CandaceRenee) | 185 comments Cait wrote: "I'm almost embarrassed by the number of 5 star books I read this challenge, but it made for some good summer reading.

5 Star
A Tale of Two Cities A Tale of Two Cities
..."

Cait - wasn't The Likeness great?! I liked it much better than In the Woods... what did you think of that one?

Danielle (Danielle_Bergdorf) | 10 comments I loved I Know This Much Is True! I read the whole book in three or four days!

Cait (caitertot) Candace - I thought In The Woods was good (I gave it 4 stars) but The Likeness is definitely the better book. I liked the story and setting more, and the conclusion was much more satisfying.

I really enjoy her writing style and can't wait for her to come out with another book.

message 29: by BJ Rose (last edited Aug 27, 2009 01:12PM) (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 822 comments I'm either generous with my 5*s, or I lucked out with some really great reads.

5*

The Book Thief The Power of One Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5) Far from the Madding Crowd (Penguin Classics) The Code of the Woosters (Everyman Wodehouse) Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica) Tears of the Moon (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish trilogy #2) Tears of the Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #2)

I can usually find something in a book to like, so I have no 1* books, but it was close!

2*

Literally, the Best Language Book Ever  Annoying Words and Abused Phrases You Should Never Use Again So Many Books, So Little Time  A Year of Passionate Reading AND No Regrets by Michele Ann Young (can't even find a bookcover for it!)

message 30: by Krista (last edited Aug 27, 2009 01:22PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) I rarely give out 5 stars, or 1 stars for some reason.

My 5 star books for the challenge wer:
The Book ThiefThe Book Thief
Fahrenheit 451Fahrenheit 451

Other (but not all) 4 star favorites:
Plum Lucky (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #3)Plum Lucky (Laugh out loud funny for me!!)
Sarah's KeySarah's Key
Year of WondersYear of Wonders

Autobiography of a Face
Autobiography of a Face

Least Favorite:
Grand AvenueGrand Avenue
The Picture of Dorian GrayThe Picture of Dorian Gray

Reading Lolita in Tehran  A Memoir in BooksReading Lolita in Tehran A Memoir in Books
Pretty Birds  A NovelPretty Birds A Novel

Nicole | 608 comments I love this! And I can finally practice using the add book/author feature!

My Five Star Books
Brave New World A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2) The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3) American Wife  A Novel The Red Leather Diary  Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal The Historian Red Tent My Most Excellent Year  A Novel of Love, Mary Poppins, and Fenway Park The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven The Sound and the Fury Me Talk Pretty One Day Handle with Care What's Eating Gilbert Grape

My most hated (1&2 stars)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Fortune's Daughter Imagined London  A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City (National Geographic Directions) Becoming Jane Austen Between Georgia

message 32: by Petra (last edited Aug 27, 2009 03:27PM) (new)

Petra I don't give out many 1 or 5 Star ratings, it seems.

My favorite books (4 & 5 stars) of the Summer Challenge are:

The Woman in White (BBC Radio Collection) Woman In White

The Good Earth (Enriched Classics) The Good Earth

Middlesex Middlesex (highly recommended)

[image error] The Graveyard Book

Ursula, Under Ursula, Under

My least favorites (1 & 2 stars) were:

One if by Heaven Two if by Hell One if by Heaven Two if by Hell (although the fault may not be with the book but with me. This book is meant for a younger adult audience, preferably male, I think)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas The Boy In The Striped Pajamas

Rora My 5 stars (most of them re-reads)...
Wise Children by Angela Carter
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Wise Child by Monica Furlong
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Wish You Were Here by Rita Mae Brown
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
The Onion Girl (Newford, Book 11) by Charles de Lint
The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher

My 2 stars...
The Sooterkin by Tom Gilling
Two Moons A Novel by Thomas Mallon

Patricia | 395 comments I only had one 5 rating. I guess I'm stingy when it comes to giving 5 ratings (on the other hand I don't give many 1 ratings either). At least I had more hits than misses for this challenge.

5 Stars:
The Art of Racing in the Rain
4 Stars:
The Return Journey The Prince of Tides [image error] [image error]
2 Stars:
The Red Leather Diary  Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal

message 36: by Slayermel (last edited Aug 28, 2009 03:13PM) (new)

Slayermel | 46 comments Here are my 5 star and some 4 star that almost made the cut :0)

Around the World in 80 Days Watership Down Swept Away Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5) The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6) The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4) [image error] The Giver [image error] Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)

I have been very fortunate to have not read anything below a 3 star rating this summer. These where my lowest rated books of the summer.

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (Signet Classics (Paperback)) Snuff

Here are the Spring Challenge books that I did not enjoy, and was glad when they where over.

[image error] Abandoned Prayers  The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession and Amish Secrets (St. Martin's True Crime Library)

Wendy | 588 comments This is my list with ratings:

title
author
my rating

Cryptonomicon
Stephenson, Neal
The Haj
Uris, Leon
Wild Ginger: A Novel
Min, Anchee
Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
Pearl, Nancy
The Cat Who Went Bananas (Cat Who..#27)
Braun, Lilian Jackson
After Dark
Murakami, Haruki
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
Wroblewski, David
Queen of Scots: The True Life of Mary Stuart
Guy, John
An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly Mystery, #3)
Harris, Charlaine
The Other Queen: A Novel
Gregory, Philippa
The Dharma Bums
Kerouac, Jack
Northanger Abbey
Austen, Jane
Bound: A Novel
Gunning, Sally
Saturday
McEwan, Ian
Eminem: Crossing the Line
Huxley, Martin
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Grahame-Smith, Seth
The Martian Chronicles
Bradbury, Ray
From Dead to Worse
Harris, Charlaine
The Angel's Game
Zafón, Carlos Ruiz
Oil!
Sinclair, Upton
American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House
Meacham, Jon
The Graveyard Book
Gaiman, Neil
The Sisters Grimm Book 6: Tales From the Hood
Buckley, Michael
The House at Sugar Beach: A Memoir
Cooper, Helene
Ruby Holler
Creech, Sharon
Herbert Hoover
Leuchtenburg, William E.
Dead in Vineyard Sand: A Martha's Vineyard
Craig, Philip R.
The Woman in White
Collins, Wilkie
All Together Dead
Harris, Charlaine
Undead and Unreturnable (#4)
Davidson, MaryJanice
The Man With Two Left Feet And Other Stories
Wodehouse, P.G.
Swords of the Horseclans (#2)
Adams, Franklin Robert
Middlesex
Eugenides, Jeffrey
Dance of Death (Pendergast #2)
Preston, Douglas
Out of Town a Few Days: P.I. Frank Johnson Mystery #4
Lynskey, Ed
Finger Lickin' Fifteen
Evanovich, Janet
The Day of the Triffids
Wyndham, John
Don't Look Down
Crusie, Jennifer
Roadside Crosses)
Deaver, Jeffery
Mansfield Park
Austen, Jane
Anansi Boys
Gaiman, Neil
Shanghai Girls: A Novel
See, Lisa
Burn Out
Muller, Marcia
Writers on Writing, Volume II: More Collected Essays from The New York Times (
Times, The New York
Anthem
Rand, Ayn
Fugitive: A Novel
Margolin, Phillip
The Judgment of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade that Gave the World Impressionism
King, Ross

Mourners (Nameless Detective, Book 31)
Pronzini, Bill
Point Blank (Alex Rider, #2)
Horowitz, Anthony
Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher Series, #13)
Child, Lee
Atonement
McEwan, Ian
The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship
Halberstam, David
A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life
Katz, Jon
Every Tongue Got to Confess: Negro Folk-tales from the Gulf States
Hurston, Zora Neale
Holidays on Ice
Sedaris, David
One Shot (Jack Reacher Series, #9)
Child, Lee
Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker #1)
Card, Orson Scott
Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
Brooks, Geraldine
The Time Traveler's Wife
Niffenegger, Audrey
Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
Preston, Douglas
Soul Identity
Batchelder, Dennis
The Almost Moon
Sebold, Alice
The Merlot Murders )
Crosby, Ellen
The Glass Castle: r
Walls, Jeannette
People of the Book
Brooks, Geraldine
Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5)
Connelly, Michael
Curse of the Spellmans )
Lutz, Lisa
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
Moore, Christopher
The Enchantress of Florence
Rushdie, Salman
The Enemy )
Child, Lee
I Capture the Castle
Smith, Dodie
Mother Night
Vonnegut, Kurt

Jenna | 84 comments I didn't have any 5 stars, but here are some of the 4 stars that I read for the challenge.
A Dirty Job The Stupidest Angel  A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0 Julie and Julia  365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen Kafka on the Shore [image error]

1-2 stars
The Celestine Prophecy Diary Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress  A Novel Everything Is Illuminated  A Novel

Bonnie | 111 comments Beth(MN) wrote: "I wasn't completely blown away by anything I read this summer nor did I have any total stinkers, so didn't have any 1 star or 5 star ratings.

But from my 4 star reads, the one I'd most highly re..."

Whew! Glad people like this thread. It's so interesting to see what people loved and hated and I love all the pretty covers!

Bwahahaha, Beth. Stardust of Yesterday was HORRIBLE!!! I don't even read romance novels, but I loved Kurland's short story in To Weave a Web of Magic, and this was one of the few books my library had of hers. I have a word doc with all the books I've read in the past few years plus reviews. My review of this book was nearly a full page in 10-point type of ranting hate.

message 40: by Elizabeth (NC) (last edited Aug 27, 2009 06:26PM) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments My five stars were
Five Quarters of the Orange Inkheart (Inkheart, Book 1) Love, Ruby Lavender [image error] Ordinary Springs The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)

It's interesting that they are mostly young adult books--maybe I am more generous with those because I think they will be powerful with kids.

Anyway, I didn't have any one stars, but my two stars were
The Soloist, The Bug Funeral A Professor Simon Shaw Mystery , Stuffed, Cadillac Beach, Short Change

I also didn't finish Blue Sword by Robin McKinley--I just couldn't get into it, which I was very disappointed about because that task was the one I was most looking forward to. I'm less than halfway through, so maybe I can still work it in for the next challenge

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I LOVED The Goose Girl! I gave it 5 stars, too.

Jennifer (pearlady) | 36 comments I didn't officially do the challenge because...I just got here! XD I didn't realize I was being so stingy with my stars, no 5 stars at the moment. Doh!!
Personally, I have been LOVING the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series the whole summer long. A favorite being #5, In the company of Cheerful Ladies.

One of the cutest little book--with big lessons--I've read this summer is Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life by Trixie Koontz (and Dean Koontz, of course). I highly recommend it!

One of my worst reads this summer: Catch-22. Sarcasm, yes, I get thee, but I just have a hard time with this book.

Tani | 102 comments I feel like the longer I'm on goodreads, the more stingy I get with my 5 star ratings, so here are my 5 stars, plus some 4 stars that were close.

Death in Venice and Seven Other StoriesDeath in Venice and Seven Other Stories
Howards EndHowards End
SpeakSpeak
GracelingGraceling
Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)Two for the Dough
Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastards, #2)Red Seas Under Red Skies
Motherless BrooklynMotherless Brooklyn
To Say Nothing of the Dog  or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at LastTo Say Nothing of the Dog or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
The Spellman Files (Spellman Series, Book 1)The Spellman Files

Only one book was bad enough to rate only one star, but I had a couple that hit 2 stars as well.

One star:
[image error]Empress

Two stars:
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging  Confessions of Georgia Nicolson (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Book 1)Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging Confessions of Georgia Nicolson
Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand  Curious Adventures of a CSINever Suck A Dead Man's Hand Curious Adventures of a CSI

Jamie | 32 comments I am fairly stingy with my 5 stars. In fact, I only read one this summer:
The God of Small Things
Here are a few thumbs up:
The Good Earth (Enriched Classics) John Adams Bridge of Sighs
I also came across some disappointments:
Julie and Julia  365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen The Reluctant Fundamentalist

message 45: by Tammy AZ (last edited Aug 27, 2009 08:45PM) (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 119 comments I am so excited to peruse this thread for new items to add to my TBR shelf, but I thought I would post my own best and worst first.

I had no 5s, but many 4s:
Chinese Cinderella  The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter (Laurel-Leaf Books) Water for Elephants Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highlander 2) [image error] The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous  &  Broke This Duchess of Mine Mille soleils splendides On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8) A Duke of Her Own

And no 1s but a couple 2s:
The Turn of the Screw (Penguin Popular Classics) Academy X  A Novel Women at Play  The Story of Women in Baseball/ a Harvest Original The Painted Veil Outlander (Outlander, #1)

Leslie | 51 comments Most of my 5 star reads from this summer have been turning up on other lists.
[image error] The Pillars of the Earth In the Woods [image error] The Book Thief

I'm a pretty forgiving reader, so no 1 star reads. I give out a whole lot of 3's and 4's. Just a couple of 2's from this summer:
The Turn of the Screw (Penguin Popular Classics) The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Trilogy, #1) Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1)

message 48: by Lisa (last edited Aug 27, 2009 11:03PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 512 comments I'm new to the challenge group, but will post my best/worst reads of the summer.
BEST 5 stars:
The Poisonwood Bible [image error] In the Time of the Butterflies [image error] To Kill A Mockingbird Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15) Cutting for Stone Crank Speak

WORST 1 -2 stars
Lost Souls (New Orleans, #6) Born Standing Up  A Comic's Life The Love Season Running with Scissors  A Memoir

Only Lost Souls rated a 1, the rest 2. I know I'm going to hear some flack about the last book on my worst list, but oh well.

I read lots of really good books this summer. I had too many 4's to post. Just drop my read section for more ideas. I've added several to my TBR from the lists above. Thanks for the ideas!

message 49: by Jo (new)

Jo | 19 comments The best (5 stars or almost 5 stars):
Good Omens  The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch Jingo (Discworld, #21) The Book Thief The City of Dreaming Books Anything Goes  My Autobiography Nation Far from the Madding Crowd (Penguin Classics)

The worst (1 or 2 stars):
Special Topics in Calamity Physics I'd set this book aside for the "judge a book by its cover" task, but I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
And: The Supper Club by Sophie King

Alice (AliceG) | 429 comments My five star books for this challenge were:

The Information Officer by Mark Mills
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
The Other Hand by Chris Cleave
Iris and Ruby by Rosie Thomas

My two star books for this challenge were:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Scarred Hearts by Max Blecher
The Accidental by Ali Smith

My one star books for this challenge were:

The Lost Dog by Michelle De Kretser