The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Best and Worst Books of the Summer 09 Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 70) (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bonnie (last edited Aug 27, 2009 03:57AM) (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments So, Cynthia, let me know if this is a bad topic/the wrong file. But I think it could be fun/useful for people to post their one-star and five-star books from the last challenge. It's always fun to see what people think, plus it can give people ideas for what to read for this challenge by looking at other people's five-stars (or one-stars if they have completely opposite book tastes).

Five Stars:

(1) Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Water for Elephants

(2) Life of Pi by Yann Martel Life of Pi

(3) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

(4) The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood The Blind Assassin

(5) The Red Tent by Anita Diamant The Red Tent

(6) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice

(7) A Thousand Acres A Novel by Jane Smiley A Thousand Acres A Novel

One Star:

(1) Casca The Barbarian (Casca #5) by Barry Sadler Casca The Barbarian

(2) Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

(3) The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory The Other Boleyn Girl

(4) The Secret Life of Josephine Napoleon's Bird of Paradise by Carolly Erickson The Secret Life of Josephine Napoleon's Bird of Paradise

Luckily for me, much more 5-stars than 1-star for me this summer. I was impressed by the number of really good books I found.

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) Good idea!

I'm very mean with my 5 stars ... only one made the grade during the summer!

The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland The Owl Killers

It seems I'm also pretty mean with one stars! I've given none a one during the summer, but my worst read was ...

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller The Bridges of Madison County ... snore!!!

(I have a feeling this thread might be responsible for a large number of additions to my wishlist!)

message 3: by Bonnie (last edited Aug 27, 2009 04:21AM) (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments I saw The Owl Killers mentioned the other day, but didn't think anything of it. I just added it to my TBR list. It looks good!

Usually it's really hard to get a 1-star from me (usually I give books I don't like 2-stars). But this time around I read some real doozies.

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) lol, I've just added A Thousand Acres to mine!

I found The Owl Killers to be absolutely fascinating - I learnt a lot about a period of history I knew little about, the plot was really good and I was gripped from beginning to end!

BUT, I also liked The Other Boleyn Girl! That was a 4* read for me!

message 5: by Dionisia (last edited Aug 27, 2009 04:39AM) (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 434 comments I am just realizing I haven't given out any five stars this summer! Here are a few I really enjoyed and others not so much.

Hits:
The Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Kim Deitch
The Marriage of True Minds by Stephen Evans
[image error]
The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers

Miss:
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Bomb! Run for your life! Oh the horror:
The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) Haha! Got to agree with you re Almost Moon!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Great topic!

I didn't really give out many five star books either but I read more good books than bad ones..so that's always a good thing!

Some of my favorites of the challenge:

Those Who Save Us
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Speak
Water for Elephants

ONE STAR:

ALMOST MOON!!!

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 131 comments I didn't participate in the summer challenge, but my top book of my summer reading was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

And the only book that I have ever given one star to is Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The. Usually when I don't enjoy a book I just put it down, but I had to read that one for school back in 10th grade and couldn't stand it.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Emily wrote: "I didn't participate in the summer challenge, but my top book of my summer reading was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

And the only book that I have ever given one star to is [bo..."

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is one of my ALL TIME favorites!!

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments I read a couple of 5 star books for the summer read
The Thirteenth Tale
and one called Search dog- about a mountain rescue dog in the Peak District.

There was only one 1*
You Only Live Twice

I will be looking for books to add to my ever increasing tbr pile aswell!

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (cowgirl-up) | 263 comments Great idea!

5 Star Reads

The Photograph by Penelope Lively

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

I didn't have any 1 star reads, but these were my 2 stars:

Cooked My Journey from the Streets to the Stove by Jeff Henderson

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

[image error]

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments No I don't mind at all. This is a good place for it because I do think that you can tell a lot about a person by the books they love. I read a lot I loved this summer and not so many I hated.

My 5 Star Books From The Summer Challenge
[image error] Visions of Sugar Plums (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #1) by Janet Evanovich To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9) by Janet Evanovich Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10) by Janet Evanovich Santa's Angels (Avalon Romance) by Janet Kaderli Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11) by Janet Evanovich Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, #12) by Janet Evanovich Plum Lovin' (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #2) by Janet Evanovich Curse of the Spellmans (Spellman Series, Book 2) by Lisa Lutz Super in the City by Daphne Uviller [image error] Lean Mean Thirteen (Stephanie Plum, #13) by Janet Evanovich Plum Lucky (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #3) by Janet Evanovich Fearless Fourteen (Stephanie Plum, #14) by Janet Evanovich New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer Revenge of the Spellmans (Spellman Series, Book 3) by Lisa Lutz A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist Addition by Toni Jordan Truffles by the Sea by Julie Carobini The Last of the Honky-tonk Angels by Marsha Moyer Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer [image error] Etta A Novel by Gerald Kolpan Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon [image error]

My 1&2 Star Books From The Summer Challenge
Citizen Girl by Emma McLaughlin Etta Place Her Life and Times With Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Women of the West) by Gail Drago Book Lust Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason by Nancy Pearl

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney Great idea!

5 Stars:
Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz
American Wife A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

1 Star:
Jack's Widow by Eve Pollard
The Silent Speaker by Rex Stout
Summer Reading by Hilma Wolitzer

message 14: by Candace (last edited Aug 27, 2009 07:42AM) (new)

Candace (CandaceRenee) | 185 comments I like this idea!! Some of my 5 stars were re-reads, but I still loved them and wanted to include them here :) I've also included some of the other books I read after I finished the challenge because I had a few more 5 stars after that!

5 Star
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger [image error] Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin The Host by Stephenie Meyer [image error] New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer [image error] Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5) (partial draft) by Stephenie Meyer Persuasion by Jane Austen A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5) by Charlaine Harris [image error] Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin Something Blue by Emily Giffin City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare Big Boned (Heather Wells, Book 3) by Meg Cabot

1 Star
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Beauty, #1) by A.N. Roquelaure

Most of what I read seemed to be more along the lines of 3 and four stars :)

message 15: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 384 comments I guess I am pretty critical. I don't give out many 5 stars, but I do give out a lot of one stars. Here are my favorite books from this summer though:

Salt A World History by Mark Kurlansky - This was absolutely FASCINATING. Highly recommended.

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

Hated:
Wise Blood A Novel by Flannery O'Connor
1984 by George Orwell
Julie and Romeo by Jeanne Ray
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
The Sudoku Murder A Katie McDonald Mystery (Katie Mcdonald Mystery) by Shelley Freydont

message 16: by Usako (last edited Aug 28, 2009 08:06AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Didn't have any one star reads but here's the list of books that I read this summer (some didn't fit into the challenge mind)

Five Star
[image error] [image error] Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Bel Canto by Ann Patchett Persuasion by Jane Austen The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters, #3) by Mercedes Lackey

Two Stars
Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog [image error] Great Lives Esther A Woman of Strength and Dignity by Charles R. Swindoll

message 17: by El (new)

El I'm pretty picky when it comes to giving out 5 stars, but...

Thumbs up
Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett Medea and Other Plays by Euripides The River Ki (Japan's Women Writers) by Sawako Ariyoshi Life and Times of Michael K by J.M. Coetzee

Thumbs down
The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor Mirage by Bandula Chandraratna A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss Jazz (Contemporary Fiction, Plume) by Toni Morrison

message 18: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I didn't participate in the Summer Challenge (my brain needed a break), but I DID read over the summer...

5 Star Reads
[image error] [image error] Major Crush (Simon Romantic Comedies) by Jennifer Echols Shadowland (The Mediator, Book 1) by Meg Cabot Darkest Hour (The Mediator, Book 4) by Meg Cabot Haunted (The Mediator, Book 5) by Meg Cabot Twilight (The Mediator, Book 6) by Meg Cabot The Year Of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale Maus I A Survivor's Tale My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare The Boy Next Door (Boy Series, Book 1) by Meg Cabot [image error] Maus II A Survivor's Tale And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman

I didn't rate any below 3 stars, but from the Winter and Spring Challenges:

2 Star Read
2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
Oye... I gave it two stars, because it had parts that were interesting, but for the most part, it was just BORING... and yet, was he on some kind of hallucinogen when writing the ending??? The movie was better, but only because I was able to watch it at 1.5 speed. ;)

1 Star Read
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
I couldn't finish it. AND, this book is the reason I put off reading The Hunger Games... grrr!

message 19: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments @Bridget - I'm glad I'm not the only one who REALLY didn't like Wuthering Heights!!!

message 20: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 384 comments Sara wrote: "@Bridget - I'm glad I'm not the only one who REALLY didn't like Wuthering Heights!!!

"

Oh gosh. I HATED it. One of the worst books I have ever read. I have no idea what people see in it.

message 22: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Bridgit wrote: "Sara wrote: "@Bridget - I'm glad I'm not the only one who REALLY didn't like Wuthering Heights!!!"

Oh gosh. I HATED it. One of the worst books I have ever read. I have no idea what people se..."

I always get Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre confused... I didn't like either. But Wuthering Heights?? It was AWFUL! So full of hatred and pettiness and betrayal and lying... gaaahhh! Awful!

message 23: by Beth F. (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 558 comments I wasn't completely blown away by anything I read this summer nor did I have any total stinkers, so didn't have any 1 star or 5 star ratings.

But from my 4 star reads, the one I'd most highly recommend would be:
Until They Bring the Streetcars Back  by Stanley Gordon West

Read this for my face-to-face book club and really enjoyed it. It was a quick read and had a lot of interesting points to discuss with the larger group.

And the two I disliked the most intensely were (2 stars):
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine Stardust of Yesterday (Haunting Hearts Series) by Lynn Kurland

I didn't like either of them and the only reason I didn't give them 1 star was because they elicited absolutely no emotional response from me, which is a requirement for me to give a book 1 star. I have to really loathe something before I give it 1 star!

message 24: by Candace (new)

Candace (CandaceRenee) | 185 comments Cait wrote: "I'm almost embarrassed by the number of 5 star books I read this challenge, but it made for some good summer reading.

5 Star
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities
..."

Cait - wasn't The Likeness great?! I liked it much better than In the Woods... what did you think of that one?

message 25: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Danielle_Desrochers) | 27 comments I loved I Know This Much Is True! I read the whole book in three or four days!

message 26: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) | 653 comments Candace - I thought In The Woods was good (I gave it 4 stars) but The Likeness is definitely the better book. I liked the story and setting more, and the conclusion was much more satisfying.

I really enjoy her writing style and can't wait for her to come out with another book.

message 28: by BJ Rose (last edited Aug 27, 2009 01:12PM) (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 822 comments I'm either generous with my 5*s, or I lucked out with some really great reads.

5*

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5) by Nalini Singh Far from the Madding Crowd (Penguin Classics) by Thomas Hardy The Code of the Woosters (Everyman Wodehouse) by P.G. Wodehouse Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica) by James A. Owen Tears of the Moon (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts Tears of the Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #2) by Alexander McCall Smith

I can usually find something in a book to like, so I have no 1* books, but it was close!

2*

Literally, the Best Language Book Ever Annoying Words and Abused Phrases You Should Never Use Again by Paul Yeager So Many Books, So Little Time A Year of Passionate Reading by Sara Nelson AND No Regrets by Michele Ann Young (can't even find a bookcover for it!)

message 29: by Krista (last edited Aug 27, 2009 01:22PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) I rarely give out 5 stars, or 1 stars for some reason.

My 5 star books for the challenge wer:
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Book Thief
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyFahrenheit 451

Other (but not all) 4 star favorites:
Plum Lucky (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #3) by Janet EvanovichPlum Lucky (Laugh out loud funny for me!!)
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de RosnaySarah's Key
Year of Wonders by Geraldine BrooksYear of Wonders

Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy
Autobiography of a Face

Least Favorite:
Grand Avenue by Joy FieldingGrand Avenue
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeThe Picture of Dorian Gray

Reading Lolita in Tehran A Memoir in Books by Azar NafisiReading Lolita in Tehran A Memoir in Books
Pretty Birds A Novel by Scott SimonPretty Birds A Novel

message 30: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1004 comments I love this! And I can finally practice using the add book/author feature!

My Five Star Books
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2) by Libba Bray The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3) by Libba Bray American Wife A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld The Red Leather Diary Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal by Lily Koppel The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova Red Tent by Anita Diamant My Most Excellent Year A Novel of Love, Mary Poppins, and Fenway Park by Steve Kluger The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven by Susan Jane Gilman The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult What's Eating Gilbert Grape by Peter Hedges

My most hated (1&2 stars)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith Fortune's Daughter by Alice Hoffman Imagined London A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City (National Geographic Directions) by Anna Quindlen Becoming Jane Austen by Jon Spence Between Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson

message 31: by Petra (last edited Aug 27, 2009 03:27PM) (new)

Petra I don't give out many 1 or 5 Star ratings, it seems.

My favorite books (4 & 5 stars) of the Summer Challenge are:

The Woman in White (BBC Radio Collection) by Wilkie Collins Woman In White

The Good Earth (Enriched Classics) by Pearl S. Buck The Good Earth

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides Middlesex (highly recommended)

[image error] The Graveyard Book

Ursula, Under by Ingrid Hill Ursula, Under

My least favorites (1 & 2 stars) were:

One if by Heaven Two if by Hell by Rick Maydak One if by Heaven Two if by Hell (although the fault may not be with the book but with me. This book is meant for a younger adult audience, preferably male, I think)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne The Boy In The Striped Pajamas

message 33: by Rora (new)

Rora My 5 stars (most of them re-reads)...
Wise Children by Angela Carter
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Wise Child by Monica Furlong
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Wish You Were Here by Rita Mae Brown
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
The Onion Girl (Newford, Book 11) by Charles de Lint
The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher

My 2 stars...
The Sooterkin by Tom Gilling
Two Moons A Novel by Thomas Mallon

message 34: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 511 comments I only had one 5 rating. I guess I'm stingy when it comes to giving 5 ratings (on the other hand I don't give many 1 ratings either). At least I had more hits than misses for this challenge.

5 Stars:
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
4 Stars:
The Return Journey by Maeve Binchy The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy [image error] [image error]
2 Stars:
The Red Leather Diary Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal by Lily Koppel

message 35: by Slayermel (last edited Aug 28, 2009 03:13PM) (new)

Slayermel | 46 comments Here are my 5 star and some 4 star that almost made the cut :0)

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne Watership Down by Richard Adams Swept Away by Marsha Canham Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5)  by Laurell K. Hamilton The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4)  by Laurell K. Hamilton [image error] The Giver by Lois Lowry [image error] Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris

I have been very fortunate to have not read anything below a 3 star rating this summer. These where my lowest rated books of the summer.

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (Signet Classics (Paperback)) by Victor Hugo Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk

Here are the Spring Challenge books that I did not enjoy, and was glad when they where over.

[image error] Abandoned Prayers The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession and Amish Secrets (St. Martin's True Crime Library) by Gregg Olsen

message 36: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments This is my list with ratings:

title
author
my rating

Cryptonomicon
Stephenson, Neal
The Haj
Uris, Leon
Wild Ginger: A Novel
Min, Anchee
Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
Pearl, Nancy
The Cat Who Went Bananas (Cat Who..#27)
Braun, Lilian Jackson
After Dark
Murakami, Haruki
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
Wroblewski, David
Queen of Scots: The True Life of Mary Stuart
Guy, John
An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly Mystery, #3)
Harris, Charlaine
The Other Queen: A Novel
Gregory, Philippa
The Dharma Bums
Kerouac, Jack
Northanger Abbey
Austen, Jane
Bound: A Novel
Gunning, Sally
Saturday
McEwan, Ian
Eminem: Crossing the Line
Huxley, Martin
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Grahame-Smith, Seth
The Martian Chronicles
Bradbury, Ray
From Dead to Worse
Harris, Charlaine
The Angel's Game
Zafón, Carlos Ruiz
Oil!
Sinclair, Upton
American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House
Meacham, Jon
The Graveyard Book
Gaiman, Neil
The Sisters Grimm Book 6: Tales From the Hood
Buckley, Michael
The House at Sugar Beach: A Memoir
Cooper, Helene
Ruby Holler
Creech, Sharon
Herbert Hoover
Leuchtenburg, William E.
Dead in Vineyard Sand: A Martha's Vineyard
Craig, Philip R.
The Woman in White
Collins, Wilkie
All Together Dead
Harris, Charlaine
Undead and Unreturnable (#4)
Davidson, MaryJanice
The Man With Two Left Feet And Other Stories
Wodehouse, P.G.
Swords of the Horseclans (#2)
Adams, Franklin Robert
Middlesex
Eugenides, Jeffrey
Dance of Death (Pendergast #2)
Preston, Douglas
Out of Town a Few Days: P.I. Frank Johnson Mystery #4
Lynskey, Ed
Finger Lickin' Fifteen
Evanovich, Janet
The Day of the Triffids
Wyndham, John
Don't Look Down
Crusie, Jennifer
Roadside Crosses)
Deaver, Jeffery
Mansfield Park
Austen, Jane
Anansi Boys
Gaiman, Neil
Shanghai Girls: A Novel
See, Lisa
Burn Out
Muller, Marcia
Writers on Writing, Volume II: More Collected Essays from The New York Times (
Times, The New York
Anthem
Rand, Ayn
Fugitive: A Novel
Margolin, Phillip
The Judgment of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade that Gave the World Impressionism
King, Ross

Mourners (Nameless Detective, Book 31)
Pronzini, Bill
Point Blank (Alex Rider, #2)
Horowitz, Anthony
Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher Series, #13)
Child, Lee
Atonement
McEwan, Ian
The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship
Halberstam, David
A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life
Katz, Jon
Every Tongue Got to Confess: Negro Folk-tales from the Gulf States
Hurston, Zora Neale
Holidays on Ice
Sedaris, David
One Shot (Jack Reacher Series, #9)
Child, Lee
Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker #1)
Card, Orson Scott
Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
Brooks, Geraldine
The Time Traveler's Wife
Niffenegger, Audrey
Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
Preston, Douglas
Soul Identity
Batchelder, Dennis
The Almost Moon
Sebold, Alice
The Merlot Murders )
Crosby, Ellen
The Glass Castle: r
Walls, Jeannette
People of the Book
Brooks, Geraldine
Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5)
Connelly, Michael
Curse of the Spellmans )
Lutz, Lisa
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
Moore, Christopher
The Enchantress of Florence
Rushdie, Salman
The Enemy )
Child, Lee
I Capture the Castle
Smith, Dodie
Mother Night
Vonnegut, Kurt

message 37: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 84 comments I didn't have any 5 stars, but here are some of the 4 stars that I read for the challenge.
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore The Stupidest Angel A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0 by Christopher Moore Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami [image error]

1-2 stars
The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield Diary by Chuck Palahniuk Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress A Novel by Dai Sijie Everything Is Illuminated A Novel by Jonathan Safran Foer

message 38: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments Beth(MN) wrote: "I wasn't completely blown away by anything I read this summer nor did I have any total stinkers, so didn't have any 1 star or 5 star ratings.

But from my 4 star reads, the one I'd most highly re..."

Whew! Glad people like this thread. It's so interesting to see what people loved and hated and I love all the pretty covers!

Bwahahaha, Beth. Stardust of Yesterday was HORRIBLE!!! I don't even read romance novels, but I loved Kurland's short story in To Weave a Web of Magic, and this was one of the few books my library had of hers. I have a word doc with all the books I've read in the past few years plus reviews. My review of this book was nearly a full page in 10-point type of ranting hate.

message 39: by Elizabeth (NC) (last edited Aug 27, 2009 06:26PM) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments My five stars were
Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris Inkheart (Inkheart, Book 1) by Cornelia Funke Love, Ruby Lavender by Deborah Wiles [image error] Ordinary Springs by Lenore Hart The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale

It's interesting that they are mostly young adult books--maybe I am more generous with those because I think they will be powerful with kids.

Anyway, I didn't have any one stars, but my two stars were
The Soloist, The Bug Funeral A Professor Simon Shaw Mystery , Stuffed, Cadillac Beach, Short Change

I also didn't finish Blue Sword by Robin McKinley--I just couldn't get into it, which I was very disappointed about because that task was the one I was most looking forward to. I'm less than halfway through, so maybe I can still work it in for the next challenge

message 40: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I LOVED The Goose Girl! I gave it 5 stars, too.

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (pearlady) | 36 comments I didn't officially do the challenge because...I just got here! XD I didn't realize I was being so stingy with my stars, no 5 stars at the moment. Doh!!
Personally, I have been LOVING the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series the whole summer long. A favorite being #5, In the company of Cheerful Ladies.

One of the cutest little book--with big lessons--I've read this summer is Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life by Trixie Koontz (and Dean Koontz, of course). I highly recommend it!

One of my worst reads this summer: Catch-22. Sarcasm, yes, I get thee, but I just have a hard time with this book.

message 42: by Tani (new)

Tani | 109 comments I feel like the longer I'm on goodreads, the more stingy I get with my 5 star ratings, so here are my 5 stars, plus some 4 stars that were close.

Death in Venice and Seven Other Stories by Thomas MannDeath in Venice and Seven Other Stories
Howards End by E.M. ForsterHowards End
Speak by Laurie Halse AndersonSpeak
Graceling by Kristin CashoreGraceling
Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) by Janet EvanovichTwo for the Dough
Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastards, #2) by Scott LynchRed Seas Under Red Skies
Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan LethemMotherless Brooklyn
To Say Nothing of the Dog or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie WillisTo Say Nothing of the Dog or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
The Spellman Files (Spellman Series, Book 1) by Lisa LutzThe Spellman Files

Only one book was bad enough to rate only one star, but I had a couple that hit 2 stars as well.

One star:
[image error]Empress

Two stars:
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging Confessions of Georgia Nicolson (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Book 1) by Louise RennisonAngus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging Confessions of Georgia Nicolson
Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand Curious Adventures of a CSI by Dana KollmannNever Suck A Dead Man's Hand Curious Adventures of a CSI

message 43: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 32 comments I am fairly stingy with my 5 stars. In fact, I only read one this summer:
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
Here are a few thumbs up:
The Good Earth (Enriched Classics) by Pearl S. Buck John Adams by David McCullough Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
I also came across some disappointments:
Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid

message 44: by Tammy AZ (last edited Aug 27, 2009 08:45PM) (new)

message 45: by Julia (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 119 comments I am so excited to peruse this thread for new items to add to my TBR shelf, but I thought I would post my own best and worst first.

I had no 5s, but many 4s:
Chinese Cinderella The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter (Laurel-Leaf Books) by Adeline Yen Mah Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highlander 2) by Teresa Medeiros [image error] The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke by Suze Orman This Duchess of Mine by Eloisa James Mille soleils splendides by Khaled Hosseini On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8) by Julia Quinn A Duke of Her Own by Eloisa James

And no 1s but a couple 2s:
The Turn of the Screw (Penguin Popular Classics) by Henry James Academy X A Novel by Andrew Trees Women at Play The Story of Women in Baseball/ a Harvest Original by Barbara Gregorich The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

message 46: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 51 comments Most of my 5 star reads from this summer have been turning up on other lists.
[image error] The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett In the Woods by Tana French [image error] The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I'm a pretty forgiving reader, so no 1 star reads. I give out a whole lot of 3's and 4's. Just a couple of 2's from this summer:
The Turn of the Screw (Penguin Popular Classics) by Henry James The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Trilogy, #1) by Jonathan Stroud Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews

message 47: by Lisa (last edited Aug 27, 2009 11:03PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments I'm new to the challenge group, but will post my best/worst reads of the summer.
BEST 5 stars:
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver [image error] In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez [image error] To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15) by Janet Evanovich Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese Crank by Ellen Hopkins Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

WORST 1 -2 stars
Lost Souls (New Orleans, #6) by Lisa Jackson Born Standing Up A Comic's Life by Steve Martin The Love Season by Elin Hilderbrand Running with Scissors A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs

Only Lost Souls rated a 1, the rest 2. I know I'm going to hear some flack about the last book on my worst list, but oh well.

I read lots of really good books this summer. I had too many 4's to post. Just drop my read section for more ideas. I've added several to my TBR from the lists above. Thanks for the ideas!

message 48: by Jo (new)

Jo | 19 comments The best (5 stars or almost 5 stars):
Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Jingo (Discworld, #21) by Terry Pratchett The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers Anything Goes My Autobiography by John Barrowman Nation by Terry Pratchett Far from the Madding Crowd (Penguin Classics) by Thomas Hardy

The worst (1 or 2 stars):
Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl I'd set this book aside for the "judge a book by its cover" task, but I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
And: The Supper Club by Sophie King

message 49: by Alice (new)

Alice (AliceG) | 429 comments My five star books for this challenge were:

The Information Officer by Mark Mills
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
The Other Hand by Chris Cleave
Iris and Ruby by Rosie Thomas

My two star books for this challenge were:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Scarred Hearts by Max Blecher
The Accidental by Ali Smith

My one star books for this challenge were:

The Lost Dog by Michelle De Kretser
The Daydream Girl by Bella Pollen

message 50: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 52 comments My five star books for this challenge were:

The Various Haunts of Men, by Susan Hill
Journey to the River Sea, by Eva Ibbotson
Silk, by Alessandro Baricco
She, by H. Rider Haggard

I was fortunate enough to not have any one-starred books, but the worst ones were probably:
The Book of Evidence, by John Banville
Reading Lolita in Tehran A Memoir in Books, by Azar Nafisi
The House on Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Barbarian (other topics)
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man (other topics)
Life of Pi (other topics)
Water for Elephants (other topics)
The Secret Life of Josephine: Napoleon's Bird of Paradise (other topics)
More...