Salt Lake County Library Services discussion

General > Hardback or Paperback?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Ireadforfun) | 6 comments I think hardback is best for showcasing on a bookshelf. However, I like the price tag and ease of flipping pages on a paperback better.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 32 comments I like both almost equally, but if I am getting a series of books they all have to be the same, either all hardback or all paperback. If I have a mix it drives me nuts.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (DashForCover) | 429 comments For me, it's hardback. For paper, I buy few books and I want ones I'll read over and over. So I want them to last. Sometimes I want to listen to audiobooks, which go onto a physical device that is also "hardback". The same with the occasional e-book I read, which also is on a physical device that is "hardback" (a little humor with these last two). But given all this, I'm hardback all the way.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 134 comments I personally don't have a preference! Hard, paper, e-book, whatever. I do only buy hard back if they are "collection" books by favorite authors that I plan to keep. I mostly only read e-books due to convenience. But honestly. I don't have a preference.

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleyhowellfoerster) | 20 comments I own so many books and space is limited! I love collector books but the last few I've read are so heavy that I can't tote them around! So I've been listening to books on CD or putting them on my tablet. Still, there's something about the printed pages that I miss.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Ireadforfun) | 6 comments What was I thinking not including e-books and audiobooks as options? I never buy audiobooks, but I will borrow them or download free audiobooks. I personally buy e-books more than any other kind of book. I love the library though. I borrow so much.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 64 comments Ebook is my favorite but I will take what I can get. Some books just aren't available or are too expensive to buy in ebook. I do borrow from the library too. But if only a paperback or hardback is available I will read those too.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 379 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "Ebook is my favorite but I will take what I can get. Some books just aren't available or are too expensive to buy in ebook. I do borrow from the library too. But if only a paperback or hardback is ..."

I like an ebook for vacations or late-night book crises, but given the choice I'll always take paper. So I was really interested to see the following article. It's the same article, but I'll give two links in case you get stuck behind a pay wall.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/art...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10...

The science seems to reflect my experience, which is that it's more difficult for me to get lost in a ebook, and sometimes it gives me a headache. I use an e-ink reader (I could never read for long on a regular screen), but it is still a less immersive experience for me. Paper book reading is almost like meditation for me, and I just can't seem to maintain that level of focus with digital.

This kind of worries me, because I feel like losing yourself in a book is the best part of reading fiction. If people don't learn what that means and how to do it because they are always reading on screens, then I'm afraid that we'll have a lot less readers out there.

But maybe it's just me. Jan, you must not feel that way if you prefer ebooks. Do you notice a difference in the way you process them?

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 2 comments I enjoy reading in all formats. I have a bookshelf full of paper and hard covered books. I also have a kindle full of e-books and an iPhone full of audiobooks.

For me, it largely depends on my mood and sometimes on the book itself. Sometimes I just want to hold a book in my hands (and smell it- I'm a weirdo!). Other times I just want to read wherever I happen to be, like at the doctor's office and digital is more convenient. Sometimes my enjoyment of a book is really enhanced by a professional reader or in a reading done by the author themselves.

Lately, my favorite mode is using the Whispersync function with Kindle books and Audible audiobooks. I listen while in the car or cleaning, then can pick up the ebook whenever I want through automatic syncing. It allows me to read however I feel like it at any given time.

I haven't personally noticed any difference in how deeply I am immersed into the story by format.

message 10: by Deidre (new)

Deidre (Dedradawn) | 5 comments If it's a long book, I prefer a hard cover. More substantial.

message 11: by Patty (new)

Patty (scrapatty) | 2 comments I'm totally for ebooks now. Took awhile to try them, but I love them now. But if I have to choose between paperback and hardback it is paperback. The price is better, but more importantly it is easier to hold and takes less room in my purse.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (BethSmash) | 191 comments Mod
Patty wrote: "I'm totally for ebooks now. Took awhile to try them, but I love them now. But if I have to choose between paperback and hardback it is paperback. The price is better, but more importantly it is eas..."
I agree with you that paperbacks are easier to hold. I love books, no matter the format, but lighter is definitely better. :D

message 13: by Linda (last edited Dec 27, 2016 03:21PM) (new)

Linda Nielson | 42 comments I have to have a real book in my hands. I'll do an e book when I am traveling, but I prefer a real book any other time. It doesn't matter if it is hard or paper back.

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (DashForCover) | 429 comments I used to like e-books. Then my e-ink reader died a terrible death and I replaced it with a notebook that had an e-reader app. I don't like reading with backlight. My eyes are really sensitive to light and it was really hard to get the brightness level to one I could even tolerate. Since my previous post, my eyes have developed problems and reading for very long taxes them more. I won't even pick up the tablet for the e-books. I'm in the hunt for another e-ink reader. I notice that there is a Kindle one now, but I'm prejudiced against Kindle because Amazon is prejudiced against epub format. Calibre won't convert books that have DRM and the e-format titles I own have DRM. I don't want to have to pay for The Harry Potter series nor the Lord of the Rings books again.

Any non-kindle suggestions for ebook readers that aren't backlit and use e-ink?

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (BethSmash) | 191 comments Mod
Hey Debbie,

You might want to try a Kobo. I haven't used them myself, but I have a friend who likes hers, and I think they're pro epub. But, I'm not certain about that.

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/...

unread topics | mark unread