Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Will's 50 Books

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (last edited Jan 25, 2010 09:18PM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments I am starting mid-year I do realize, but the goal is by August 25, 2010. So far, books I am starting with include:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger 1. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

UPDATE: For those of you who are most likely thinking "Wow this guy never reads...why is he even on a website devoted to reading?" the truth is I have been starting and reading a TON of books, just not finishing them and thus would feel guilty about putting them down as completed on this list of 50 completed books a year.

I am definitely trying, however to finish all the pending books I have been reading now, so look out you challenge!

message 2: by Will (last edited Jan 24, 2010 01:50PM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik 2. His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Rating: 5 stars

Review: " His Majesty's Dragon, the first book of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, was exceptional in all ways. Not only does the author have a terrific way to develop characters and the entire plot in unexpected manners, but she also is able to include intense action scenes at the least expected moments. His Majesty's Dragon is one of the best fantasy books I have ever read. I highly recommend it."

message 3: by Will (last edited Jan 24, 2010 02:00PM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments The Nine Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court by Jeffrey Toobin 3. The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court by Jeffrey Toobin

Rating: 4 stars

Review: "Jeffery Toobin has an excellent ability to narrate. In "The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court," Jeffery Toobin gives the readers an inside look into the inner workings of the court, who really is in charge, etc. I recommend it to anyone interested in Politics."

message 4: by Will (last edited Jan 24, 2010 01:49PM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) by Naomi Novik 4. Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik

Review: "Throne of Jade, the second book of the Temeraire series, is equally exciting, if not more so, than His Majesty's Dragon (which I also gave 5 stars). The adventure told in Throne of Jade is also full of action and unexpected events told in nearly perfect sequence using Naomi Novik's incredible writing style. I highly recommend it."

message 5: by Will (last edited Jan 24, 2010 01:48PM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3) by Naomi Novik5. Black Powder War by Naomi Novik

Review: "Black Powder War, the third book in the Temeraire series, was not quite as well written as His Majesty's Dragon or Throne of Jade (the two earlier books in the series). Although Black Powder War was very well action-packed, the essence of the story did not bring as much dynamic to the series other then the loss of Prussia and the fight for London (in the next book). Certainly a good read though, and I would recommend it to anyone continuing the series."

message 6: by Will (last edited Jan 24, 2010 01:47PM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1) by Michael J. Sullivan6. The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan

Review: "The Crown Conspiracy is one of the most exceptionally well written fantasy novels to date! I started the book at around 3PM and did not put it down except to eat. Michael Sullivan has a wonderful ability to keep the reader engaged with numerous unexpected events and turning points, all adding to the plot and character development.

I eagerly await the third book (and on)!"

message 7: by Will (last edited Jan 25, 2010 09:11PM) (new)

message 8: by Will (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments The Bhagavad Gita by Anonymous8. The Bhagavad Gita (translated) by Barbara Miller

message 9: by Will (last edited Jan 24, 2010 01:46PM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments Room Full of Mirrors A Biography of Jimi Hendrix by Charles R. Cross 9. Room Full of Mirrors A Biography of Jimi Hendrix by Charles R. Cross

Review: "I have to agree with most of these reviews. The book is rather elongated and contains a number of small details, many of which do not further the book much. However, in general, Room Full of Mirrors is an excellent account of the rather crazy life of one of the most famous guitarists of all time."

message 10: by Will (last edited Jan 24, 2010 01:47PM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments 10. Zinn for Beginners by David Cogswell

Review: Great introduction to Zinn in a condensed format. Definitely recommend for someone looking into his work without having to read the 800 page "A People's History of the United States."

message 11: by Will (new)

message 12: by Will (last edited Feb 13, 2010 08:12PM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments The Tao of Pooh (The Wisdom of Pooh) by Benjamin Hoff 12. The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

Rating: 4 Stars

Recommended to: Everyone (literally)

Review: Benjamin Hoff does an excellent job of bringing together teachings of famous Taoist writers such as Lao-Tzu and Chung-Tsu with the "absent minded" Pooh bear in a clear and continually interesting way. And through each and every teaching finding peace.

message 13: by Will (last edited Apr 13, 2010 06:26AM) (new)

Will M (will_00) | 14 comments The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan 13. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Rating: 5 Stars

Recommended to: Everyone

Review: The Eye of the World is an excellent example of a classic epic fantasy in itself. Robert Jordan sets up all of the characters as main characters, each well aquainted with his/her own unique world of opportunity and adventure. Also evident through the first book is the definite complexity of what you know and don't know; eg. magic system, world, past, etc.

Without a doubt, this book deserves a 5 star rating and I am excited to continue the series.

message 14: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 30 comments Hi.

Its seems interesting and sounds different.Thank for your comment.Great to learn about new author.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 215 comments Will wrote: "The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan 13. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Rating: 5 Stars

Recommended to: Everyone

Review: The Eye of the World is an excellen..."

Oooh, just you wait! The series gets INCREDIBLE by book three! Kind of loses it from books 7-10, but picks back up in 11 and 12 :)

message 16: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 30 comments Thanks for your comments.

I like series.....I just finished Agatha Christies Books[A little bit old fashion but I'm a fan for so many years.

I will look seriously for this serie.I'm tough with serie because I usually get bored after the third book and feel that some series repeat the same pattern......over and over .

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Catcher in the Rye (other topics)
His Majesty's Dragon (other topics)
The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court (other topics)
Throne of Jade (other topics)
Black Powder War (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Naomi Novik (other topics)
Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)
Len Fisher (other topics)
Charles R. Cross (other topics)
David Cogswell (other topics)
More...