Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Recently acquired books

Comments (showing 1223-1272)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

message 1272: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments ooohhhh The Incrementalists. It's a pretty good book. I hear there is a sequel.

I bought another book yesterday, This was something specific I went to get. Been hearing some good things and since it's opening day today I picked up The Arm: Inside the Billion-Dollar Mystery of the Most Valuable Commodity in Sports

message 1271: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments I don't have the good excuse of a bike ride to get back into shape. I just sat at my computer and binged during the latest sale at Better World Books.
Blue Labyrinth
Crown of Renewal
Heritage of Cyador
The Bone Tree
Geomancer
The Bloody Cup
Dragon's Child
Hunting with Gods
Blood of Dragons
People of the Morning Star
The Empty Throne
The Incrementalists
The High Druid's Blade
Witch Wraith
The Long Mars

King Arthur and Merlin stories are my weakness, and all the books were on my "looking to buy" list.

message 1270: by Ken (last edited Apr 01, 2016 07:07PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments The weather this week has been exceptional. So I pulled out my bicycle and started to go for rides to get back in shape. Man this winter has been terrible. I totally fell off my diet and exercise regime so clothes are tighter and lots of huffing puffing and weasing.
I was riding and passed a book store.
Had to check it out
Bought Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the House of Caesar
I am a sucker for Rome and Caesar books.

message 1269: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Except for three, they were all picked up at the discount book store.
I have all the rereleased Elric books, I noticed these last week. I went back this week and picked them all up.

message 1268: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments Ken wrote: "On a bender this week. That will be that for a while I think
Something coming out in May and a couple of books that are part of a series I am reading that I will need to get to later on
[book:The K..."

On a bit of a Moorcock spree, I'd say.

message 1267: by Ken (last edited Mar 19, 2016 09:08PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments On a bender this week. That will be that for a while I think
Something coming out in May and a couple of books that are part of a series I am reading that I will need to get to later on
The Knight of the Swords
The Queen of the Swords
The King of the Swords
The Bull and the Spear
The Oak and the Ram
The Sword and the Stallion:
The Warlord of the Air
The Land Leviathan
The Steel Tsar
An Officer and a Spy
Caliban's War
Smoke and Mirrors
Smoke and Ashes

message 1266: by Kathi (last edited Mar 10, 2016 09:03PM) (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments Ordered: The Forest Laird: A Tale of William Wallace
The Renegade: A Tale Of Robert The Bruce
Dragon's Treasure
Death of an Empire
All 4 books of The Sharing Knife by Lois McMaster Bujold
Tactics of Mistake--to replace the falling-apart copy I currently have but can't really read because the pages keep falling out.

message 1265: by Ken (last edited Mar 10, 2016 06:21PM) (new)

message 1264: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Went out today to get some coffee beans, wandered in a bookstore and came up with this
Holy War: The Crusades and Their Impact on Today's World

message 1263: by Kathi (last edited Mar 04, 2016 05:40PM) (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments Picked up a mystery by an author from my hometown, a thriller, and 2 books in the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness while browsing in a used book store near the hotel where I'm staying. Got back to the hotel before the snow started--yay me!

message 1262: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments Ken wrote: "Heh
It wasnt all cookies and ice cream
We got woloped with a snow storm that night.
Ended up making a wrong turn and walked a couple of blocks before I realised I had made a wrong turn.
I lucked ..."

Adventures in Book Buying, a new series!

message 1261: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Heh
It wasnt all cookies and ice cream
We got woloped with a snow storm that night.
Ended up making a wrong turn and walked a couple of blocks before I realised I had made a wrong turn.
I lucked out because I lived in the area when I first moved here
so I had a good idea where I was and it was still sorta on my way home.

message 1260: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments Ken wrote: "Went to a book launch party for Robert J. Sawyers latest venture.
Of course I picked up a copy and had it signed
Quantum Night"

Of course you did. :)

message 1259: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Went to a book launch party for Robert J. Sawyers latest venture.
Of course I picked up a copy and had it signed
Quantum Night

message 1258: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments I read the Deryni books a long time ago and still have a few on my shelf that I have not read. Another series I should get back to reading.

message 1257: by Ken (last edited Feb 27, 2016 03:04PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Picked up some books. The first two Devvery books.
If they are readable then I will end up getting the rest

Daggerspell
Darkspell

Been looking for this for a while
It's out of print and I have seen several used copies but every single copy has a severe case of broken spine. This was the best one out of the bunch
King Kelson's Bride
I have and read this one as an ebook but wanted a physical copy
It was in the remaindered section
Ancillary Sword

Hide Me Among the Graves

message 1256: by Tani (new)

Tani | 123 comments Kernos wrote: "Hope you are feeling better, Tani."

Much better, thank you! :)

message 1255: by Ken (new)

message 1254: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 298 comments Hope you are feeling better, Tani.

message 1253: by Tani (new)

Tani | 123 comments Kernos wrote: "I quite enjoyed Gentleman Jole which I recently finished. It provides much depth into Cordlia's and Jole's lives. I need to read this series from beginning to current."

I'm still working on reading this one, as I got derailed by a stomach bug over the weekend and didn't even have the brainpower to watch TV, much less read. I very much enjoyed what I've read so far, though.

message 1252: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 298 comments I quite enjoyed Gentleman Jole which I recently finished. It provides much depth into Cordlia's and Jole's lives. I need to read this series from beginning to current.

message 1251: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments We are culling/weeding books in our library and took 3 boxes to the used book store to sell. Since they were having a 20% off sale, I had to at least look and came home with only 8 books, including book 3 in the Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan, a Stephen R. Lawhead book, and a few non-genre books.

message 1250: by Tani (new)

Tani | 123 comments I got Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold and The Price of Valour by Django Wexler. Lois McMaster Bujold is an instant buy for me, and I wanted free shipping, so I threw in the Django Wexler since I've loved the previous books in the series.

message 1248: by Ken (new)

message 1247: by Ken (last edited Jan 09, 2016 07:36PM) (new)

message 1245: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Hmm this was nice
Christmas morning my son asked me to open the gift from him
Very nice choice
William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope

message 1244: by Ken (last edited Dec 24, 2015 11:10AM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Ordered some books from the Book Depository
They have been slowing arriving in the mail
The last one showed up today

Mail-Order Mysteries: Real Stuff from Old Comic Book Ads!
Beyond Fundamentalism: Confronting Religious Extremism in the Age of Globalization
Double Contact

message 1243: by Jo (Mixed Book Bag) (new)

Jo  (Mixed Book Bag) (JoMixedBookBag) | 21 comments Went to Barnes and Noble today and came home with The Prison in Antares by Mike Resnivk and Shadow of Empire by Jay Allen.

message 1242: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments I picked up a couple of books today

Ancillary Mercy
A Borrowed Man

message 1241: by Kathi (last edited Dec 20, 2015 07:32AM) (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments Let's see... it was happy holidays to us a few weeks ago when Better World Books was having a sale. We bought a bunch of Jack Reacher books, most of the Ian C. Esslemont Malazan Empire books, a few more in Elizabeth Moon Paladin's Legacy series, and assorted other books that are parts of series (Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, David Drake's Lt. Leary series, Stephen R. Donaldson's latest Thomas Covenant book, and one more book in C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series.) Color us happy!

message 1240: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Ordered a couple of books from ABEBooks
Enterprise Stardust
Knight Sinister
The Quiller Memorandum

message 1238: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Been looking for all the Sector General books. Found out the have four omnibus version. Slowing been hunting for them. It seems that the first two are easy to get. The last one was only available as a SF Book Club edition.
Ended up getting it in the mail today
Tales of Sector General

message 1237: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments Recently acquired Night of Knives by Ian C. Esslemont, a couple books by Margaret Weis - Tracy Hickman that I didn't already own, Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks, and a bunch of Lt. Leary/RCN books by David Drake.

message 1236: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Found some more.
Reading a book about the actual cold war and was reading Wikipedia and they mentioned a book by Norman Mailer. Decided to try it out
Harlot's Ghost

Being hearing good things about this next one
City on Fire

message 1235: by Tani (new)

Tani | 123 comments Went to a library booksale today and picked up 7 books for $4. :) A few of them were presents, but for me, I got The Shadowed Sun and The Seventh Gate. I also got Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Nights of Villjamur for the hubby, which I will probably read at some point as well. ;)

message 1233: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Bought a couple more books this week
Of a Fire on the Moon
Keepers: The Greatest Films--and Personal Favorites--of a Moviegoing Lifetime

and a late arrival from an order I made in the middle of august
The Affair

message 1231: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Pick up The Martian

message 1230: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Picked up The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor
off the discount shelf at Books a Million. Never been to one before.

message 1229: by Ken (last edited Jul 02, 2015 05:50PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Went for a walk yesterday with my kid and noticed a couple of books that i absolutly need, need I say!
I went back today to get them
Saints of the Shadow Bible
Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina

message 1228: by Richard (new)

Richard (ThinkingBlueCountingTwo) | 122 comments Pickle wrote: "took a visit to my local 2nd hand book shop and bought:

The Earthsea Quartet
The Prefect
The Fifth Elephant
The Deep Range

and a book i cant f..."

The Clarke one isn't this is it. Earthlight

message 1226: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 182 comments took a visit to my local 2nd hand book shop and bought:

The Earthsea Quartet
The Prefect
The Fifth Elephant
The Deep Range

and a book i cant find on here called Earthflight by Sir Arthur C Clarke

message 1225: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1711 comments Between an online sale and a coupon for a used book store, I picked up the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, one of C.J. Cherryh's books in the Foreigner series, The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, 3 of the 4 books in Stephen R. Lawhead's Bright Empires series, a Melanie Rawn book that is part of series apparently she does not plan to finish, a book by Mickey Zucker Reichert, a couple more fantasies in series that are in my library but are incomplete, and several out of genre books by David Baldacci and Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. Color me content.

message 1224: by Pickle (last edited May 17, 2015 06:26AM) (new)

message 1223: by Ken (last edited May 13, 2015 08:21PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1141 comments Picked up a book I have been waiting for. I wont be able to read it till next Nov.
Oracle

Also picked up something else
Assassins' Dawn

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Destroyer (other topics)
Deliverer (other topics)
Pretender (other topics)
Foreigner (other topics)
Fortress of Ice (other topics)
More...