Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Recently acquired books

Comments (showing 1136-1185)    post a comment »

message 1185: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments I went to see a movie Wednesday night. Has a bit of time after the movie so stopping in the big box book store and checked it out.
Saw this book, so I went to my Fav indie-book store and bought it.
Augustus: From Revolutionary to Emperor

message 1184: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments Picked up
Ancillary Sword

Bit of a hard time with this one. Its the ebook version. I usually shop at Kobo and when I bought this it was the epub3 version that my reader doesnt support. This is the second time this has happened. What is odd is I see it else where as the standard epub. I ended up buying it another ebook store ebooks.com.
This annoys me for several reasons.
1. Another ebook version?
2. Why doesnt kobo sell all versions
3. Am i going to be out of luck in a couple of years

arrgg. This was one of my worries when I started on the ereader.

Maggie K | 162 comments For a birthday present to myself, I went to the book store and got Acceptance, Broken Soul, The Gods Themselves, Everybody Dies,and The Dark Tower. I also ordered The Daylight War and Foundation and Empire on my nook.

Now, if only I had time to read them!

message 1182: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1125 comments Just place an order at Better World Books that includes Nation, Battle of Kings, Warrior of the West, Crown of Vengeance, Out of Oz, The Measure of the Magic, and Sky Dragons, plus a bunch of mysteries and thrillers.

message 1181: by Nadine (last edited Oct 14, 2014 08:50PM) (new)

Nadine | 5 comments The Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett. But I have to read Winter of the World first. But I loved Fall of Giants, the first in the trilogy, so I'm quite looking forward to these.

message 1180: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments On Vacation this week. Went to a see couple of movies. There is a Goowill across the street. I stopped in to look at the books. Found a book I have been having a tough time to locate

Picked up
To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh
Wolves of the Calla

Brandon Draga | 2 comments I'm not sure if it counts, but the most recent book I've picked up is the newMonster Manual :D.

Other than that, I got the audiobook copy of The Rose and the Thorn, which I'm in the midst of listening to. I always feel bad buying books and not reading them, and time to read has been so scarce lately.

message 1175: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments Found a copy of
The Squares of the City

message 1174: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments On vacation this week, so I went to Buffalo to see some baseball. Isnt that what everyone does?
Ha

Picked up somme books too
The Intercept: A Jeremy Fisk Novel
Full Count: Four Decades of Blue Jays Baseball
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Rides a Dread Legion
A Crown Imperiled

Sumant Natkar | 50 comments I have started with The Lies of Locke Lamora and enjoying it.

message 1171: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 950 comments Yup :) I've been meaning to read them for a long time, and jumped at the chance when they popped up as the daily deal.

message 1170: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1125 comments Shel wrote: "Just picked up three of Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books, which I've never read despite being a longtime Lackey junkie, so I'm looking forward to them!"

Did you get them as the Amazon deal of the day for Kindle? I saw them today but didn't buy (yet), despite being a "longtime Lackey junkie" as well.

message 1169: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 950 comments Just picked up three of Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books, which I've never read despite being a longtime Lackey junkie, so I'm looking forward to them!

message 1168: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments Picked up
The Goblin Emperor
All the booksellers at the Bookstore I frequent
have been raving about Goblin. I broke down and bought it
The Evolutionary Void
The Mark Inside: A Perfect Swindle, a Cunning Revenge, and a Small History of the Big Con

I come from Northen Ontario, Canada and there is
a tourist landmark there called the Big Nickel.
I picked up a book about its birth. Its not a
widely distributed book
The Big Nickel The Untold Story by Jim Szilva and Ted Szilva

message 1167: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments I was in Buffalo the other day to see The Bisons play.
Stopped off at Barnes and Noble and picked up
Bigger Than the Game: Restitching a Major League Life

Random | 2 comments Latest book haul from the library (mostly)...

1. The Emperor's Blades

2. The Seeds of Earth

3. Mage's Blood

Hope to nominate The Emperor's Blades for October - December group discussions. It's getting really good reviews from a lot of readers.

Brenda ╰☆╮ (Brnda) | 70 comments Shel wrote: "Kathi wrote: "Shel wrote: "Nice haul, Kathi!

On topic, , I've downloaded up a few e-books lately that I'm excited about: Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time "

I forgot, the tv series was based on a book. Loved the mini series, I'll be checking out the book.
:)

message 1163: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments Picked up a couple of books on my list

The Last President
At All Costs
Mission of Honor

message 1162: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 950 comments Kathi wrote: "Shel wrote: "Nice haul, Kathi! I didn't know Redoubt was out yet - is it the paperback?"

Order came today and Recoubt is hardcover."

I'll wait for the paperback then :)

On topic, I've downloaded up a few e-books lately that I'm excited about:
Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time
Wonders of the Invisible World
The Adorned
Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded

message 1161: by Brenda ╰☆╮ (last edited Jun 07, 2014 01:32PM) (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮ (Brnda) | 70 comments I've had The Wild Road since it was first released.

(Acquired, but not read.)

Love that series.
The thing about goodreads............I don't get to my usual suspects, because I'm involved with group reads.

message 1160: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1125 comments Shel wrote: "Nice haul, Kathi! I didn't know Redoubt was out yet - is it the paperback?"

Order came today and Recoubt is hardcover.

message 1159: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments It will be a couple of years before I can get to them.
Next on my Fantasy list after Malazan will the a reread of the Thomas Covenant Series One and Two in prep for the final series

message 1158: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 950 comments Ooh, you're in for a treat ;)

message 1157: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments Picked up a couple of books today
Traitor's Knot
Stormed Fortress
Initiate's Trial

message 1156: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1125 comments Shel wrote: "Nice haul, Kathi! I didn't know Redoubt was out yet - is it the paperback?"

My order hasn't come yet and I can't recall if it was paperback or hardcover and the order form doesn't say. Guess I'll be surprised when the box arrives!

message 1155: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 950 comments Nice haul, Kathi! I didn't know Redoubt was out yet - is it the paperback?

message 1154: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1125 comments Oh, boy, I went nuts today at Half Price Books and then online at Better World Books.

Having read many recommendations, my husband & I decided to buy a number of books in The Saga of Recluce by L. E. Modesitt. At the store, I also picked up the Manifold series by Stephen Baxter, the Tears of Artamon series by Sarah Ash, a Kage Baker book I didn't have (but not a Company book), the Kingdom of the Serpent trilogy by Mark Chadbourn, a trilogy by Deborah Chester, the Void trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, 2 omnibus editions (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker and Godspeaker) by Karen Miller, and a Tim Powers, Hide Me Among the Graves.

Online I ordered:
Bearers of the Black Staff: Legends of Shannara
City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles)
A Fortress of Grey Ice: Book Two of Sword of Shadows
Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows)
A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, Book 3)
River of Stars
Ordermaster (Saga of Recluce)
Redoubt: Book Four of the Collegium Chronicles (A Valdemar Novel)
Arms-Commander (Saga of Recluce)
Surface Detail (Culture Novels)
The Wild Road: Book Three of Karavans

Yep, color me happy!

message 1153: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments Hmm nice haul
Ancillary Justice is very good, actually they are all good.....well excpet Blue Remembered Earth, I haven't read that one.

message 1151: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments The problem is that I have too many books. Not sure when I will read them.
I plan to get caught up on Scalzi's stuff this summer. I have only read Old Man's War and Redshirts. Think I will pull out London Falling later in July or Aug

Maggie K | 162 comments Ken wrote: "It's been a while, picked up a couple of books today

100 Things Blue Jays Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die
Zoe's Tale
The Android's Dream
[book:Lond..."

I have been wanting to read both Zoe's tale and London Falling----hope they're good!

Jonathan | 32 comments Just acquired Foundation. It's about time I read it.

message 1147: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments Ex-Wife took the kids out to her place for dinner, so after work took a detour on the bike ride home and checked out a couple of book stores I dont normally get to. Picked up some stuff
Conquerors' Heritage
Talon of the Silver Hawk
King of Foxes
Exile's Return

message 1145: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) | 331 comments The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie is on sale today for $1.99 (US), Kindle version. Not sure if it's only Amazon or other retailers as well.

I just picked it up. Now to find time to read it. :)

message 1144: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1125 comments Ken wrote: "BTW, this book was on my list of books I was keeping an eye out for. "
I love it when that happens!

message 1143: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments Out with my son this afternoon and stopped in to a Church sale and picked this up
The Kingdom and the Power: The Story of the Men Who Influence the Institution That Influences the World- The New York Times

Interesting title for a book bought in the basement of a church. BTW, this book was on my list of books I was keeping an eye out for.

message 1141: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1125 comments I did not care for Tanith Lee's The Book of the Dead, but I didn't liked the couple books I've read by that author and so I've avoided any other books.

Stephen Donaldson's SF Gap series made my brain hurt but I'm glad I read them.

I like most of Anne McCaffrey's Pern books (of which Dragonquest is one), and I've also liked the books I've read by Melanie Rawn, although I have not read The Diviner.

Looks like quite a good haul!!

Edward (eddieee) | 7 comments My current job - the noble job of sorting trash from waste paper - has landed me the odd sci fi or fantasy title.
For books marked with an asterisk, I found a translated - into Dutch - edition.
Bold-printed titles I have already read. What say you of the ones I have not yet read?

Fantasy:
Covenants by Lorna Freeman
Dragonquest* by Anne McCaffrey
Perdido Street Station * by China Miéville
The Book of the Dead* by Tanith Lee
The Diviner by Melanie Rawn
The Illuminatus! Trilogy: The Eye in the Pyramid/The Golden Apple/Leviathan by Robert Shea and Robert A. Wilson
The Opal Deception by Eoin Colfer

Science Fiction:
A Gift from Earth* by Larry Niven
Circuit Breaker by Melinda M. Snodgrass
De dag van Aldebaran by Felix Thijsen
Dune * by Frank Herbert
Makers by Cory Doctorow
The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks
The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson
The Planet Explorer* by Murray Leinster
Wyst: Alastor 1716* by Jack Vance

message 1139: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 901 comments Picked up what could be the last published Chung Kuo book. I hope not though
The White Mountain

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Destroyer (other topics)
Deliverer (other topics)
Pretender (other topics)
Foreigner (other topics)
Fortress of Ice (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

C.J. Cherryh (other topics)