Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Recently acquired books

Comments (showing 1182-1231)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

message 1231: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Pick up The Martian

message 1230: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor
off the discount shelf at Books a Million. Never been to one before.

message 1229: by Ken (last edited Jul 02, 2015 05:50PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Went for a walk yesterday with my kid and noticed a couple of books that i absolutly need, need I say!
I went back today to get them
Saints of the Shadow Bible
Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina

message 1228: by Richard (new)

Richard (ThinkingBlueCountingTwo) | 122 comments Pickle wrote: "took a visit to my local 2nd hand book shop and bought:

The Earthsea Quartet
The Prefect
The Fifth Elephant
The Deep Range

and a book i cant f..."

The Clarke one isn't this is it. Earthlight

message 1226: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 175 comments took a visit to my local 2nd hand book shop and bought:

The Earthsea Quartet
The Prefect
The Fifth Elephant
The Deep Range

and a book i cant find on here called Earthflight by Sir Arthur C Clarke

message 1225: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1444 comments Between an online sale and a coupon for a used book store, I picked up the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, one of C.J. Cherryh's books in the Foreigner series, The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, 3 of the 4 books in Stephen R. Lawhead's Bright Empires series, a Melanie Rawn book that is part of series apparently she does not plan to finish, a book by Mickey Zucker Reichert, a couple more fantasies in series that are in my library but are incomplete, and several out of genre books by David Baldacci and Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. Color me content.

message 1224: by Pickle (last edited May 17, 2015 06:26AM) (new)

message 1223: by Ken (last edited May 13, 2015 08:21PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up a book I have been waiting for. I wont be able to read it till next Nov.
Oracle

Also picked up something else
Assassins' Dawn

message 1222: by Ken (new)

message 1221: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1444 comments Ken wrote: "Book release party for Robert Charles Wilson latest
Picked up a autographed copy with the author's self portrait doodle"

Lucky you, Ken!

message 1220: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Book release party for Robert Charles Wilson latest
Picked up a autographed copy with the author's self portrait doodle
Picked up a couple today
The Affinities
Skin Game

message 1219: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up a couple of books today
Visting my favorite bookstore.
I Am Radar
Raising Steam
Strata

message 1218: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1444 comments Ken wrote: "I read a blog called Respectful Insolence and he mentioned a book about Cancer
I noticed it on a table so I had to get it
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer "

I have not read it but I know it has gotten rave reviews. There was special on PBS three days this week that was based on that book. It's on my list to read, although I read very little nonfiction.

message 1217: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Was out last night and made the rounds to a couple of bookstores to look for some books, I have a list. Haha
None of the books on my list were in stock.
I read a blog called Respectful Insolence and he mentioned a book about Cancer
I noticed it on a table so I had to get it
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer

message 1216: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up a book about the Voyager project
The Interstellar Age: Inside the Forty-Year Voyager Mission

message 1215: by Ken (new)

message 1214: by Christine (new)

Christine | 328 comments I just downloaded FIERCE: Sixteen Authors Of Fantasy from the Google Play store. For 99 cents you can't go wrong with this short story collection. I understand it is available at the Apple store, on Amazon as well as Google playstore

message 1212: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments I have Cloudius the God on my radar

message 1211: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 299 comments Read that years ago. Find I, Claudius/Claudius the God to, you'll want it.

message 1210: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up I, Claudius

message 1209: by Ken (last edited Feb 01, 2015 01:14PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up a few books today
Captain America: The Death of Captain America Prose Novel
Foxglove Summer
First and Last Sorcerer

Also picked up an ebook version of
The Panic Virus: A True Story of Medicine, Science, and Fear
Kinda of relivant with the Diseny outbreak and all

message 1208: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I love Expendable!

message 1207: by Random (last edited Jan 22, 2015 11:54AM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 426 comments I had some audible credits that needed spending and picked up a couple new ebooks as well.

For Audio I picked up
Expendable by James Alan Gardner
The Dead Path by Stephen M. Irwin
Some Kind of Fairy Taleby Graham Joyce
Echopraxia by Peter Watts which is an excellent reason for me to do that Blindsight reread. I've been wanting to do that for a while now.

For ebook I picked up
The Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire by Andrzej Sapkowski.
Looks like the popularity of The Witcher games has finally put some get up and go into those translations. Maybe they'll actually manage to get the series translated before I die from extreme old age. :)

message 1204: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1069 comments I just picked up a handful of Regency romances by Georgette Heyer, as they were all on sale as a kindle daily deal. Her books are so much fun :)

message 1203: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Received a book from Amazon today
The Enemy Papers

One of the stories in this was the basis for the movie
Enemy Mine. It all his storys based in this world

message 1201: by Philip (new)

Philip Athans (PhilAthans) | 54 comments I found a copy of Fantastic Planet at a Half Price Books for only $5.00 and practically ran to the cash register. I know it's considered "lesser Crowley" (Steven Caldwell is a pen name for Terran Trade Authority creator Stewart Crowley) but it's still pretty cool. And now it is mine!

message 1200: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up a couple of books today
Marco Polo: The Journey that Changed the World
I bought this for one of my kids for Chrustmas
It looked good
A Once Crowded Sky
and since it is strongly in the lead
March's group read
Station Eleven

message 1199: by Ken (last edited Dec 25, 2014 07:16AM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Well my Daughter listened to me and picked me up a book for Christmas
She got me
The Science of Interstellar

message 1198: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1069 comments I just picked up Ancillary Justice as today's kindle daily deal, will join in very late on the group discussion once I get around to reading it! :)

message 1196: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 261 comments I kind of went crazy during black Friday :S

I got Fated,Magic Burns,Dangerous Women and some graphic novels for my kids at Barnes and Noble, and then got some from Betterworld and Sci-Fi Book Club as well:
The Three-Body Problem
Rogues
The Wind Through the Keyhole
Ragnarok
Of Love and Shadows
Snake Agent
Pavane
The New York Trilogy

message 1195: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1069 comments I just picked up all three books in Ann Aguirre's Razorland trilogy as a kindle daily deal (Enclave, Outpost, Horde). I enjoyed the prequel story Foundation that was in the tor.com anthology I read a while back, so I'm looking forward to the series.

message 1194: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1444 comments Ken wrote: "Yep.
I bought them in hardcover and read them as they were released. I enjoyed them back then but she never finished the story
I just did a quick qoogle search and it seems that she may begin writi..."

Thanks for the info, Ken. I can see not wanting to go back to a story that reminds you of negative things, but I hope she finishes it. I've enjoyed the other things I read by her.

message 1193: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Yep.
I bought them in hardcover and read them as they were released. I enjoyed them back then but she never finished the story
I just did a quick qoogle search and it seems that she may begin writing it this year, her process gets her to finish a book anywhere from 18 months to 5 years

Interesting to note, the reason she didnt finish was due to personal issues and depression and when she was back she felt the need to write something new.
I didnt know this. I was under the impression it was
publishers not wanting it.

message 1192: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1444 comments Ken wrote: "Kathi wrote: " book 2 in the Exiles trilogy, The Mageborn Traitor"
And that is all there is. Its an unfinished series and she has never completed it, unfortunatly"

Really? Bummer... I don't have the first book yet, either, but maybe I won't rush into looking for it since there is no conclusion.

message 1191: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Kathi wrote: " book 2 in the Exiles trilogy, The Mageborn Traitor"
And that is all there is. Its an unfinished series and she has never completed it, unfortunatly

message 1190: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1444 comments Picked up book 2 in the Riyria Revelations, Rise of Empire, book 4.5 in the Dark Tower series, The Wind Through the Keyhole, book 2 in the Exiles trilogy, The Mageborn Traitor, Firebird, and a couple John Grisham books that we had not read.

message 1189: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up a couple non genre books today
Case Closed
JFK book, debunking a lot of the conspriacys
The Burglary: The Discovery of J. Edgar Hoover's Secret FBI

message 1187: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Same here. This will be third Vlad book i have in my TBR
I am planing to read them in the spring

message 1186: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 261 comments I need to catch up on my Brust! I am devoting next year to finishing series I have started...

message 1185: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up a couple of books
Hawk
The Peripheral
can't wait to read this one, well actually both. Ha

message 1184: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments I went to see a movie Wednesday night. Has a bit of time after the movie so stopping in the big box book store and checked it out.
Saw this book, so I went to my Fav indie-book store and bought it.
Augustus: From Revolutionary to Emperor

message 1183: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1044 comments Picked up
Ancillary Sword

Bit of a hard time with this one. Its the ebook version. I usually shop at Kobo and when I bought this it was the epub3 version that my reader doesnt support. This is the second time this has happened. What is odd is I see it else where as the standard epub. I ended up buying it another ebook store ebooks.com.
This annoys me for several reasons.
1. Another ebook version?
2. Why doesnt kobo sell all versions
3. Am i going to be out of luck in a couple of years

arrgg. This was one of my worries when I started on the ereader.

message 1182: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 261 comments For a birthday present to myself, I went to the book store and got Acceptance, Broken Soul, The Gods Themselves, Everybody Dies,and The Dark Tower. I also ordered The Daylight War and Foundation and Empire on my nook.

Now, if only I had time to read them!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Destroyer (other topics)
Deliverer (other topics)
Pretender (other topics)
Foreigner (other topics)
Fortress of Ice (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

C.J. Cherryh (other topics)