Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Recently acquired books

Comments (showing 1124-1173)    post a comment »

Sumant Natkar | 40 comments I have started with The Lies of Locke Lamora and enjoying it.

message 1171: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 939 comments Yup :) I've been meaning to read them for a long time, and jumped at the chance when they popped up as the daily deal.

message 1170: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1109 comments Shel wrote: "Just picked up three of Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books, which I've never read despite being a longtime Lackey junkie, so I'm looking forward to them!"

Did you get them as the Amazon deal of the day for Kindle? I saw them today but didn't buy (yet), despite being a "longtime Lackey junkie" as well.

message 1169: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 939 comments Just picked up three of Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books, which I've never read despite being a longtime Lackey junkie, so I'm looking forward to them!

message 1168: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments Picked up
The Goblin Emperor
All the booksellers at the Bookstore I frequent
have been raving about Goblin. I broke down and bought it
The Evolutionary Void
The Mark Inside: A Perfect Swindle, a Cunning Revenge, and a Small History of the Big Con

I come from Northen Ontario, Canada and there is
a tourist landmark there called the Big Nickel.
I picked up a book about its birth. Its not a
widely distributed book
The Big Nickel The Untold Story by Jim Szilva and Ted Szilva

message 1167: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments I was in Buffalo the other day to see The Bisons play.
Stopped off at Barnes and Noble and picked up
Bigger Than the Game: Restitching a Major League Life

Random | 2 comments Latest book haul from the library (mostly)...

1. The Emperor's Blades

2. The Seeds of Earth

3. Mage's Blood

Hope to nominate The Emperor's Blades for October - December group discussions. It's getting really good reviews from a lot of readers.

Brenda ╰☆╮ (Brnda) | 70 comments Shel wrote: "Kathi wrote: "Shel wrote: "Nice haul, Kathi!

On topic, , I've downloaded up a few e-books lately that I'm excited about: Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time "

I forgot, the tv series was based on a book. Loved the mini series, I'll be checking out the book.
:)

message 1163: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments Picked up a couple of books on my list

The Last President
At All Costs
Mission of Honor

message 1162: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 939 comments Kathi wrote: "Shel wrote: "Nice haul, Kathi! I didn't know Redoubt was out yet - is it the paperback?"

Order came today and Recoubt is hardcover."

I'll wait for the paperback then :)

On topic, I've downloaded up a few e-books lately that I'm excited about:
Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time
Wonders of the Invisible World
The Adorned
Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded

message 1161: by Brenda ╰☆╮ (last edited Jun 07, 2014 01:32PM) (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮ (Brnda) | 70 comments I've had The Wild Road since it was first released.

(Acquired, but not read.)

Love that series.
The thing about goodreads............I don't get to my usual suspects, because I'm involved with group reads.

message 1160: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1109 comments Shel wrote: "Nice haul, Kathi! I didn't know Redoubt was out yet - is it the paperback?"

Order came today and Recoubt is hardcover.

message 1159: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments It will be a couple of years before I can get to them.
Next on my Fantasy list after Malazan will the a reread of the Thomas Covenant Series One and Two in prep for the final series

message 1158: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 939 comments Ooh, you're in for a treat ;)

message 1157: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments Picked up a couple of books today
Traitor's Knot
Stormed Fortress
Initiate's Trial

message 1156: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1109 comments Shel wrote: "Nice haul, Kathi! I didn't know Redoubt was out yet - is it the paperback?"

My order hasn't come yet and I can't recall if it was paperback or hardcover and the order form doesn't say. Guess I'll be surprised when the box arrives!

message 1155: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 939 comments Nice haul, Kathi! I didn't know Redoubt was out yet - is it the paperback?

message 1154: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1109 comments Oh, boy, I went nuts today at Half Price Books and then online at Better World Books.

Having read many recommendations, my husband & I decided to buy a number of books in The Saga of Recluce by L. E. Modesitt. At the store, I also picked up the Manifold series by Stephen Baxter, the Tears of Artamon series by Sarah Ash, a Kage Baker book I didn't have (but not a Company book), the Kingdom of the Serpent trilogy by Mark Chadbourn, a trilogy by Deborah Chester, the Void trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, 2 omnibus editions (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker and Godspeaker) by Karen Miller, and a Tim Powers, Hide Me Among the Graves.

Online I ordered:
Bearers of the Black Staff: Legends of Shannara
City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles)
A Fortress of Grey Ice: Book Two of Sword of Shadows
Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows)
A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, Book 3)
River of Stars
Ordermaster (Saga of Recluce)
Redoubt: Book Four of the Collegium Chronicles (A Valdemar Novel)
Arms-Commander (Saga of Recluce)
Surface Detail (Culture Novels)
The Wild Road: Book Three of Karavans

Yep, color me happy!

message 1153: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments Hmm nice haul
Ancillary Justice is very good, actually they are all good.....well excpet Blue Remembered Earth, I haven't read that one.

message 1151: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments The problem is that I have too many books. Not sure when I will read them.
I plan to get caught up on Scalzi's stuff this summer. I have only read Old Man's War and Redshirts. Think I will pull out London Falling later in July or Aug

Maggie K | 157 comments Ken wrote: "It's been a while, picked up a couple of books today

100 Things Blue Jays Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die
Zoe's Tale
The Android's Dream
[book:Lond..."

I have been wanting to read both Zoe's tale and London Falling----hope they're good!

Jonathan | 26 comments Just acquired Foundation. It's about time I read it.

message 1147: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments Ex-Wife took the kids out to her place for dinner, so after work took a detour on the bike ride home and checked out a couple of book stores I dont normally get to. Picked up some stuff
Conquerors' Heritage
Talon of the Silver Hawk
King of Foxes
Exile's Return

message 1145: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) | 329 comments The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie is on sale today for $1.99 (US), Kindle version. Not sure if it's only Amazon or other retailers as well.

I just picked it up. Now to find time to read it. :)

message 1144: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1109 comments Ken wrote: "BTW, this book was on my list of books I was keeping an eye out for. "
I love it when that happens!

message 1143: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments Out with my son this afternoon and stopped in to a Church sale and picked this up
The Kingdom and the Power: The Story of the Men Who Influence the Institution That Influences the World- The New York Times

Interesting title for a book bought in the basement of a church. BTW, this book was on my list of books I was keeping an eye out for.

message 1141: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1109 comments I did not care for Tanith Lee's The Book of the Dead, but I didn't liked the couple books I've read by that author and so I've avoided any other books.

Stephen Donaldson's SF Gap series made my brain hurt but I'm glad I read them.

I like most of Anne McCaffrey's Pern books (of which Dragonquest is one), and I've also liked the books I've read by Melanie Rawn, although I have not read The Diviner.

Looks like quite a good haul!!

Edward (eddieee) | 7 comments My current job - the noble job of sorting trash from waste paper - has landed me the odd sci fi or fantasy title.
For books marked with an asterisk, I found a translated - into Dutch - edition.
Bold-printed titles I have already read. What say you of the ones I have not yet read?

Fantasy:
Covenants by Lorna Freeman
Dragonquest* by Anne McCaffrey
Perdido Street Station * by China Miéville
The Book of the Dead* by Tanith Lee
The Diviner by Melanie Rawn
The Illuminatus! Trilogy: The Eye in the Pyramid/The Golden Apple/Leviathan by Robert Shea and Robert A. Wilson
The Opal Deception by Eoin Colfer

Science Fiction:
A Gift from Earth* by Larry Niven
Circuit Breaker by Melinda M. Snodgrass
De dag van Aldebaran by Felix Thijsen
Dune * by Frank Herbert
Makers by Cory Doctorow
The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks
The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson
The Planet Explorer* by Murray Leinster
Wyst: Alastor 1716* by Jack Vance

message 1139: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments Picked up what could be the last published Chung Kuo book. I hope not though
The White Mountain

message 1135: by Helen (new)

Helen | 617 comments The Crow Road, UK kindle daily deal, 99p!

message 1132: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments One last book till Christmas....I hope.
I am going to try. I have a book in the Mail from Amazon UK and another one on order at the bookstore and another waiting for an author signature.
But
I am not going to go out of my way to buy anything else
Lets see

So the book I picked up was
Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager

message 1130: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments Kathi wrote: "Thanks, Maggie. I keep a list (one of many) of books I'm "looking for" and then, when I'm at a used book store or shopping a sale like this, I can go down my list and see if they have what I'm looking for and if I want to pay that price."

I do the same thing. It actually saves me from buying books on a whim. I take a picture or write it down and if it still interests me it goes on the list. Then I keep an eye out for it. Most books never make the cut

With all the said, I picked up a couple of books

Manhunt: The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden--from 9/11 to Abbottabad
The Boys of Summer
Great Expectations: The Lost Toronto Blue Jays Season

message 1129: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1109 comments As if I hadn't spent enough money on books lately, Half Priced Books had a coupon sale and we picked up:
Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14) by Jim Butcher The Dawn Country  A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois, #2) by W. Michael Gear Tetrarch  A Tale Of The Three Worlds (The Well of Echoes, #2) by Ian Irvine Stormlord's Exile (Watergivers #3) by Glenda Larke and I, Alex Cross (Alex Cross, #16) by James Patterson

message 1128: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1109 comments Maggie wrote: "wow Kathy, that is quite the haul! I only ordered three:
Daemon
Day Watch and The Atrocity Archives
Now i wish I thought of some of yours! lol"

Thanks, Maggie. I keep a list (one of many) of books I'm "looking for" and then, when I'm at a used book store or shopping a sale like this, I can go down my list and see if they have what I'm looking for and if I want to pay that price. Of course, I usually also just browse when I'm at a bricks & mortar store, which generally leads to more purchases and more things to add to my list. There are still about 30 books on that list...

Maggie K | 157 comments wow Kathy, that is quite the haul! I only ordered three:
Daemon
Day Watch and The Atrocity Archives
Now i wish I thought of some of yours! lol

message 1126: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1109 comments A box of books arrived yesterday--Better World Books had a sale and I got:
The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture, #10) by Iain M. Banks Homunculus by James P. Blaylock Intruder (Foreigner, #13) by C.J. Cherryh The Crippled God (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10) by Steven Erikson Sisterhood of Dune (Schools of Dune, #1) by Brian Herbert A Cavern of Black Ice (Sword of Shadows, #1) by J.V. Jones Kings of the North (Paladin's Legacy, #2) by Elizabeth Moon Echoes of Betrayal (Paladin's Legacy, #3) by Elizabeth Moon Two Graves (Pendergast, #12) by Douglas Preston I, Robot  To Protect by Mickey Zucker Reichert The Children of the Sky  (Zones of Thought #3) by Vernor Vinge Vortex by Robert Charles Wilson

message 1125: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 889 comments couple more books today at the discount place down the street

The Mole: The Cold War Memoir of Winston Bates: A Novel
Not Quite the Classics

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Destroyer (other topics)
Deliverer (other topics)
Pretender (other topics)
Foreigner (other topics)
Fortress of Ice (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic