Chicks On Lit discussion

What did you just finish

Comments (showing 201-250 of 8,792) (8792 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by Laura (new)

Laura (GutenbergGirl) | 15 comments I just read Baby Proof -- my first book by Emily Giffin and I really enjoyed it. That was my mental break after being completely absorbed by Her Fearful Symmetry -- Audrey Niffinegger blew me away with this one! I cannot wait to read it again.

message 202: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Laura wrote: "...after being completely absorbed by Her Fearful Symmetry -- Audr..."

I added this one to my TBR list; thanks for the recommendation!

message 203: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 202 comments Just finished Day After Night and though I did get a bit choked up at the end my overall reaction was "meh". It was just a leeeetle too touchy-feely for my taste.

I was reading through this thread and have decided to give Everything Is Illuminated another go.

message 204: by Armina (new)

Armina | 17 comments I just finished 'The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao'. Despite some negative reviews here on Goodreads, I actually enjoyed it.

message 205: by AngieA (new)

AngieA (angelwings55) | 213 comments Just got my yearly fix of Cedar Cove by reading Debbie Macomber's 92 Pacific Boulevard 92 Pacific Boulevard (Cedar Cove) by Debbie Macomber

message 206: by AngieA (last edited Sep 19, 2009 08:08PM) (new)

AngieA (angelwings55) | 213 comments Kaliki wrote: "Sarah-I agree. I watched it this afternoon. It was a good movie, but they just couldn't develop the characters or get into Elizabeth's mind in the short time of a movie. The books was definitely be..."

If you watched the Keira Knightly(theatrical) version, this is a good assesment. If you want to spend some time and really get into it, try the 1995 Colin Firth version from BBC TV. It showed here in the States on A&E and is available on DVD. Bonus: it has the famous wet shirt scene Bridget Jones is so keen on!

message 207: by Elhara (new)

Elhara | 10 comments As an admirer of Farrah Fawcet I scooped this book from the library as soon as I saw it.
This book is written in journal entry style by Alana Stewart (X of Rod). With Farrah's approval, Stewart video taped (show aired earlier this year) part of her struggles with cancer and now we are presented with a written report. Be forewarned the book's center of attention is Stewart. While I do believe her to be a dear friend or at least what she thinks a dear friend is, I was put off by her frequent complaints (that's what they sounded like to me) leaving her dogs and almost adult children alone, oh no! it's the paparazzi!, my new lover is sooo superficial but he's an ace in the boudoir, I wanna go home yada yada yada. During this period Stewart herself had some cancerous cells show up during a routine exam. While I appreciate her fear and concern it just felt like an inappropriate one-up-man-ship to include such a lengthy reference to herself. Especially when it was so obvious that Farrah, completely riddled with the disease by this point, was close to death. We are an audience to her financial worries(give me a break) while she extensively travels back and forth to Germany many times in a private jet. I wonder where her money comes from. There is no reference to her working at all. Maybe she thought through her Farrah connection she could cash in. Sorry to be harsh but this book made me angry. I suppose the title My Journey...should have warned me. I'm still shaking my head.

message 208: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments Finally finished Definitely Dead. It was not my favorite. THe ending was rushed!!!

Now, I'll start True Colors.

message 209: by Yas (new)

Yas (Yas666) Salems lot. V good. I love SK's older stuff. His new stuffs.... well not as good lol.

message 210: by Aksana (new)

Aksana | 58 comments I finished The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson. It's his second book. I loved it!!! I cannot wait for his third one to come out, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 193 comments I just finished Mansfield Park for the Jane Austen Challenge. :)

message 212: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (bagambo) Laura wrote: "I just read Baby Proof -- my first book by Emily Giffin and I really enjoyed it. That was my mental break after being completely absorbed by Her Fearful Symmetry -- Audr..."

Baby Proof was a fun book! I can't wait to read Her Fearful Symmetry! Sounds great!!

message 213: by Jo (new)

Jo I just finished The Dark . It was very well written and very creepy but i was a little disappointed by the ending.

message 214: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3036 comments Mod
I finished Columbine last night. I definately recommend this book. Frightening and heartbreaking. And after reading the book, while I of course feel very bad for all the families of those who died and those who were injured, I also found myself feeling bad for the families of Dylan and Eric, and even for Dylan himself. I think Dylan was a victim of Columbine too.

message 215: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2523 comments Mod
Sheila wrote: "I finished Columbine last night. I definately recommend this book. Frightening and heartbreaking. And after reading the book, while I of course feel very bad for all the families ..."

Isn't that hard to admit?! I too felt a tinge of sympathy for Dylan. Eric not at all. I thought he was just evil.
Truly their parents though. I can not even imagine. I went into the book feeling like if anyone were to blame it was the parents and even though you didn't get much of their perspective because they don't do interviews I couldnt help but feel more sorry for them than I ever did going into the book. So many missed chances and opportunities I am sure they live with daily. Not to mention no matter what you think of those boys they were their sons. I'm sure like any parent they could never imagine this and it would be so hard to reconcile the reality of what your child did to the image you have had of him for 17-18 years

message 216: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I just finished Physick Book of Deliverance Dane now I can go peak at the thread.

message 217: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (bagambo) Sheila and Tera I agree with you both. I am reading Columbine now and I can't help but feel so sorry for the parents and how horrible it must have been for them to find out their sons were responsible for such tragedy. And I agree with you about Eric- he was evil. Dylan on the otherhand I am still mixed about. So far this book is gripping.

message 218: by Mary (last edited Sep 21, 2009 04:52PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 202 comments Robin wrote: "I just finished "Everything is Illuminated". Oh boy, what a glorious book! I was laughing out loud, and I usually don't do that, until it got really not funny and very dark and I just shook my head..."

I just finished this. It was amazing! To think I *almost* gave up on it. This was one of those very rare occassions when I saw the movie before I read the book, so I already had a general idea of the story, but I am very pleased to report that there was (as usual I think) so much MORE to the book than to the film (although the film was quite moving in its limited way). For one thing, the character of Alex was really well-developed in the book, but Jonathan not so much as in the movie. Anyway, I second Rachel: Read this book!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Brenda wrote: "Sheila wrote: "I finished Columbine last night. I definately recommend this book. Frightening and heartbreaking. And after reading the book, while I of course feel very bad for al..."

Just out of curiosity, why is it felt that this one book is so much more accurate than the many other reports. What about this voice made you feel it rang true, choosing to disbelieve the other voices?

Elizabeth (Alaska) This question is to anyone who had the impression that this version is more truthful than the contemporary versions. I've read this several times, so I was curious as why this should be so, what makes you have this reaction.

message 221: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (last edited Sep 21, 2009 08:50PM) (new)

Sheila  | 3036 comments Mod
Elizabeth, apparently some (not all, but definately some) of the stories that were told right after the Columbine shootings were not based on fact, but instead were rumors that just took on a life of their own and took on an almost "urban legend" status. Things such as myths about the boys being friendless loners targeting jocks and gays, and about the girl who they shot because she said she believed in God, as well as other things. This book is very well documented and is based on a huge variety of evidence, such as journals, diaries and videos and other items left by the two boys, police reports and evidence, security camera videos from the school, recorded 911 calls, etc. The book just does a really good job of explaining exactly what happened and backs it all up with the evidence.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Shelia, I remember reading somewhere before that one of the kids said that girl wasn't shot because she said she believed in God and it was just ignored because the it sounded better to the media. So I'm thinking this guy was doing a really good research job. I can't wait to read this book.

message 223: by Vikki (new)

Vikki | 304 comments I just finished After You A Novel which was great, and I finished The Girl She Used to Be which was also great. After You had a bit of a slow start for me but after I got through that it picked up and became a very good read. The Girl She Used to be was a fast read and was hard to put down. I loved the main character and in a situation that seems so foreign to me I found myself identifying with her anyway. Are you who you thought you'd grow up to be?

message 224: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 754 comments Just finished the marvellous Keeping the Dead - Tess Gerritsen.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Sheila wrote: "Elizabeth, apparently some (not all, but definately some) of the stories that were told right after the Columbine shootings were not based on fact, but instead were rumors that just took on a life ..."

Excellent! Thanks, Sheila!

message 226: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (Bkread2) | 229 comments Well I jumped ahead and read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. My Mom had been in the hospital so I had some time to kill. All I can say is WOW! I never knew until the past few months that I actually love mystery and history detective stuff. Now I know. This is a bit of both and I loved it! Cannot wait till next months discussion!

message 227: by Julie (new)

Julie (julmille) | 389 comments Just finished The Wednesday Sisters...not one of my favorite reads...just ok for me. Time to start A Thousand Splendid Suns. It's been on my to read shelf for too long!

message 228: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Julie wrote: "Just finished The Wednesday Sisters...not one of my favorite reads...just ok for me. Time to start A Thousand Splendid Suns. It's been on my to read shelf for too long!"

I hope you enjoy it, I absolutely loved A Thousand Splendid Suns.

message 229: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Finished reading In the fall by Jeffrey Lent. It is an older book but it was really well written I thought. If you like family sagas you might go for this one.

I see that Three Cups of Tea One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a TimeGreg Mortenson was speaking in town tonight. I am not sure what to think of his book but I do commend him for his work.

message 230: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Lynn951) | 6 comments Just finished reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. I was sick at home on my days off and had a lot of time to dig in. This is my first Murakami but I found that it was not under praised by my friend who suggested it. I am looking forward to getting into other Murakami but have heard that HBWatEotW is quite different from the rest.

message 231: by Jo (new)

Jo I just finished Hunger Games. It was very addictive. It was very good and i was hooked the whole time. Looking forward to getting the next one in the trilogy!

message 232: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (SaRaH23L) I just finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. A big "thank you" to everyone who encouraged me to read it when I had decided to put it down after the first chapter. This would be a good book to read with the book club, because it would spark some great discussions.

message 233: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) Sarah wrote: "I just finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. A big "thank you" to everyone who encouraged me to read it when I had decided to put it down after the first chapter. This would be a good bo..."

Ooh - I'm pleased it's a good one - I'm going to read it in November to coincide with Atwood's 70th Birthday.

I think a few of us might be starting a thread to discuss it then but if you're ready now and bursting with ideas for discussion maybe you could set up a thread now and we'll just add to it when we've read it too???

I must admit the whole concept of the novel fascinates me - the role of women and the idea of using women as baby making machines etc - it will probably bring in a lot of feminist type discussions as well as some parallels what's happening in society in terms of the roles of men and women today etc.

Can't wait to read it!

Ally

message 234: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 202 comments Just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close . It's going in my Top Ten List of Books I Read In 2009. I remember that day--Sept. 11 2001--and remember being shocked, saddened, etc., but it didn't really touch me on a personal level, know what I mean? I hope that doesn't make me sound like a shallow person. But reading this book, fictional though it may be, made me see and feel the WTC tragedy and the aftermath in a way I never expected to.

message 235: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (Rowenacherry) | 44 comments I just finished Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer. I thoroughly enjoy all Heyers, but this was not one of her best. Very gentle, really.

message 236: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 1830 comments I just finished Daughter of War about the Armenian genocide. It''s YA, but you don't see many books about this subject. I thought it was handled well.

message 237: by Maria (new)

Maria Okay, Ally. I've left you alone and haven't read a word about your impression of Elfriede's book. I can imagine why.

Well? Do you agree with its Nobel status?

Note to Fiona: Tess Gerritsen is terrific!

message 238: by Roberta (new)

Roberta (wwwgoodreadscomrooonuma) | 59 comments Just finished the Adventures of Prickly Porky. Really good read.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Jennifer W wrote: "I just finished Daughter of War about the Armenian genocide. It''s YA, but you don't see many books about this subject. I thought it was handled well."

Jennifer, thanks for this. I'm not one for YA, but I do want to read on this subject. Another book on this subject that has been recommendee to me is The Forty Days of Musa Dagh. It is on my Wish List, I can get it from our library, and I expect to read it before too long.

message 240: by Maria (new)

Maria Very little is out there or even acknowledged about the Armenian and Greek genocide, and I believe the Turkish government may still deny it. Some survivors were still alive until recently and their descendants know the horror of it very, very well. I've grown up with the stories, and I can understand why enmity between uneducated peoples can last and become vendetta. But YA can be great! Remember The Children's Crusade?

message 241: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 754 comments Maria wrote: "Okay, Ally. I've left you alone and haven't read a word about your impression of Elfriede's book. I can imagine why.

Note to Fiona: Tess Gerritse..."

I love her books and think she is an awesome author as well.

message 242: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) I finished reading Secrets of a Lady by Tracy Grant today. I really enjoyed it.

message 243: by Vikki (new)

Vikki | 304 comments I just finished Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult. Extremely controversial and extremely wonderful.

message 244: by Ally (last edited Sep 26, 2009 10:46AM) (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) Maria wrote: "Okay, Ally. I've left you alone and haven't read a word about your impression of Elfriede's book. I can imagine why.

Note to Fiona: Tess Gerritse..."

Hey Maria - I did try and start a discussion on it over in the 'hot book discussions' section but it didn't get much action...

Ally

message 245: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth_diiorio) | 71 comments LOVED, LOVED, LOVED The Help...gave it 5 stars!!

message 246: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Another 5 star for The Help!! I must read this one; still on hold for it at the library!

I just finished The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil and really enjoyed it!
Ally, I should have started a list of words I was unsure of for you to interpret for me! Most cases, I could figure them out...but some were a little tricky. Anyway, great light reading. I'm looking forward to the sequel!

message 247: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (MissBrittany) | 336 comments just finished The Kite Runner, which i loved. so much like and so different from TSS.

message 248: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (Wldinnis) | 350 comments I gave The Help 4 stars. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Next up is Nora Roberts's Vision in White.

message 249: by Emilytessa (new)

Emilytessa | 10 comments Mary wrote: "I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife. The book got a lot of hype but I was hesitant to read it. I wasn't surprised at the end but it made me want to hug and squeeze me children j..."

I loved the Time Traveler's Wife; for me it lived up to my expectations. I wasn't expecting a miracle just a good book to get lost in. At times I felt like the description could have been clearer but overall it was a good read!

message 250: by Emilytessa (new)

Emilytessa | 10 comments I am currently reading The Friday Night knitting Club, I just finished The Host by the same author as the twilight series and I also just finished the time traveler's wife.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (other topics)
Those Who Save Us (other topics)
The Story Sisters (other topics)
Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal (other topics)
Shadow of the Sword: A Marine's Journey of War, Heroism, and Redemption (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nicole Krauss (other topics)
Sarah Dessen (other topics)
David Almond (other topics)
Julia Glass (other topics)
Nicholas Sparks (other topics)
More...