Stephen King Fans discussion

The Random - Discussion Threads > The Worst Stephen King Book

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,184) (1184 new)    post a comment »

Jak (BlindJak) | 32 comments Well we have a thread on everyone's fav King book/story and as we know he's not got a 100% record of quality what are the ones we all think are duffers?

Personally I thought from a Buick 8 was awful. It started well enough but it was a half formed idea that went nowhere and did nothing. And although I know it’s popular with others Lisey’s Story was over long, dragged and seemed self indulgent to me.

message 2: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 875 comments Really, the only book that comes to mind for me is Tommyknockers. I had a real tough time getting thru that one, and didn't enjoy it much at all. I think it would be worth another try, to see if my tastes have changed enough to accept it....

message 3: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2578 comments Cell. Without a doubt.

Kandice | 1069 comments I didn't enjoy From A Buick 8, either, and it may be the only King I've read only once. It feels a little unfair to label "worst" since I barely remember what it's about.

message 5: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2106 comments There is already a thread on this.. it's down under the book section!

Jak (BlindJak) | 32 comments Opps. Sorry about that, I looked for it under the general section where the favs thread was.

Betsy Boo (BetsyBoo) | 190 comments Oooh! I haven't seen that thread either. I'll have to check it out. BTW, I've always said that even a so-called "bad" SK is better than most of the stuff out there these days. I've read one or two that I didn't think lived up to his usual standard, but I still found them very readable and compelling. I've never had to put one down & I've also found that when I go back for a re-read I end up liking them better. I think part of it is we've come to have certain expectations of SK and if he goes in a different direction we are disappointed.

Brian Peace (BPeace) I have to say that, though it is a Bachman book, I really did not like Blaze.

message 9: by MARILYN (last edited Aug 21, 2009 09:19AM) (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) Gerald's Game hated that book.
could find no redeeming qualities in it.

Mark | 5 comments Without a doubt, The Colorado Kid. The second half of Cell was really weak too.

Stella From a Buick 8 for me. Just didn't find it very interesting.

Michael | 1 comments I know this may anger people, but Carrie didn't really do much for me. I am a huge fan of SK and I love the dark tower series, but Carrie struck me as sort of amateur compared to the rest of his work. I know it was his first book, but that shouldn't be as apparent as it is.

Rachel | 699 comments Michael wrote: "I know this may anger people, but Carrie didn't really do much for me. I am a huge fan of SK and I love the dark tower series, but Carrie struck me as sort of amateur compared to the rest of his wo..."

Carrie didn't do much for me either

Yas (Yas666) Just after sunset, most of the stories were hit and miss. Wasn't keen at all. Bit of a let down!

message 15: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2106 comments I loved Carrie!!!! ! ! !! ! I am shocked that you guys don't like it!

Rachel | 699 comments Angie wrote: "I loved Carrie!!!! ! ! !! ! I am shocked that you guys don't like it! "

I don't hate Carrie, the structure of the story just made it not the easiest story for me to follow...love the movie though.

Lori (Barfield) There is no such thing as a bad SK book. Only varing degrees of Great.

alicia (shesha34) I really did not care for Bag of Bones

Lori (Barfield) King Dinosaur, may PENNYWISE come and eat you up! Insomnia is a great book, i've read it at lest 3 times. From A Buick 8 is good as well. I can understand why you may not care for Rose Madder, being a guy and all, but the story is still good. And what Rob knows we can put in a thimble,if it's not about Quentin Tarantino! I repeat myself, there is no bad Stephen King book! :)

Lori (Barfield) OH ROB YOUR KILLING ME! Go ahaed and put a knife in my back. Guess you didn't like The Regulators either? The movie wasn't that good but i liked the book.Oh well what you gona do? We can't all like the same thing, where would the fun be in that? :)

Rachel | 699 comments Rob wrote: "It's nothing personal, Lori. Most people here would disagree with me I'm sure...and that's all right.

And I really don't know that much about Tarantino...except for his films. I didn't like Ja..."

Didn't like Jackie Brown?!? You're killin' me , Rob!! :)

Rachel | 699 comments *lays bleeding on the floor, clutching her DVD* Go ahead, pry it from my cold, dead hands! :)

Rachel | 699 comments oh no..i'm being buried with that one

Rachel | 699 comments my ear or your own? One way is Reservoir Dogs, the other a Van Gogh homage.

Rachel | 699 comments Only if you're playing "Stuck in The Middle With You" on the radio while you're doing it, m'dear.

Rachel | 699 comments Sure.

Lori (Barfield) Hope you two got a room! Now back to business if you please. There is no bad Stephen King book! :o)

anjeee | 5 comments i loved duma key. the only one i haven't cared for thus far is from a buick 8. all the many others i've adored, over the past 25 years i've been reading his books!

message 29: by Lee (last edited Sep 27, 2009 08:23PM) (new)

Lee | 15 comments A Buick 8 is definitely one of the worst Stephen King books, although I don't think it's horrible. It's readable, it's just kind of blah. I can't even remember the characters in it, they were very forgettable :/ (seems the book gave everyone amnesia... creepy ;D) I guess even the worst King book is better than most books though xD

I think Lisey's Story was the absolute worst King book though. Ugh.

Fatma | 12 comments Although Salem's Lot is a favorite for many SK fans, I really didn't like it. I felt like someone else had written it. Also I guess that since i couldn't finish The Tommyknockers and Gerald's Game and set them aside after the first chapter that they are bad also.

Mark | 35 comments ''Also I guess that since i couldn't finish The Tommyknockers and Gerald's Game and set them aside after the first chapter that they are bad also.''

Quite the assumption, Fatma! I loved both of those books!

anjeee | 5 comments i really enjoyed gerald's game, too, mark... i read it this summer while camping in a tent at a lake. perfect spot to read the book. i could see why someone wouldn't like it, though, fatma. i wouldn't let my kids read it because of the adult subject matter. and it does have quite a different feel than many of his books. but again, i really enjoyed it.

Fatma | 12 comments Mark, I know it is wrong to judge a book without reading it first, but I just couldn't finish The Tommyknockers and Gerald's Game. Many times I have forced my self to finish a certain book even if the first chapters of it were bad but I didn't even try with these two.

I agree with you anjee, Gerald's Game has a different feel. Maybe I should give it another try when I am in a good mood.

Mark | 35 comments Fatma, you are certainly welcome to your opinion. But I think to label a book as one of King's worst without having read it is simply wrong. It's like going to a great restaurant and saying it's no good because you took a bite of a side dish, didn't like it and decided to never go again. The lobster is great! And the deserts are to die for!

I guess my question for you would be: What King books that you have read did you not like?

Fatma | 12 comments Mark, Do you ever get the feeling that you just cant read this book any more? That happens a lot to me. The first chapters of any book are crucial, many times if I didn't like them I will not finish the book.
And to answer your question I think that I have clearly said in my first post that Salem's Lot is my least favorite SK book.

Mark | 35 comments Actually, I can't remember the last time I started a book without finishing it. And I have never started a book by one of my favorite authors without finishing it.

I think both books are excellent. Besides, since when do we want our favorite authors to present the same ''feel'' every time? That sounds kind of boring to me! If my favorite musicians did that, they wouldn't be my favorite musicians.

I hope you will one day give those books their due and read them. You may find them growing on you!

Peace.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 662 comments My father used to say sometimes it's just the wrong time for a book. And I have to say I completely agree. I tried reading The Phantom of the Opera twice and was unable to get into it, let alone finish it. The third time, and a few years later, I picked it up and couldn't put it down. I loved it. For some reason the first two times, it was the wrong book at the wrong time. The first time I read The Gunslinger, the same thing happened. But the second time I picked it up, I couldn't put it down and it propelled me to read the rest of the series.

Lori (Barfield) I'm like an old record that skips "There is no bad Stephen King book!" :)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 662 comments Lori wrote: " I'm like an old record that skips "There is no bad Stephen King book!" :)"

Absolutely, Lori!!!!! :)

Lori (Barfield) Thank you Kathy, not too many people would agree with me. :}

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 662 comments I completely do. Sure, I have my favorites, but I do like them all! And I'm glad I'm not the only one. Great minds think alike, Lori! :)

Lori (Barfield) LOL Not so sure i have a great mind. But i do love my KING books. Of couse i have my favorites, but IMO their all good books! ;)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 662 comments Exactly! I like them all!

Dewayne | 12 comments I never did finish Gerald's Game, I should give it another try sometime. I saw the Tommyknockers mentioned here, I loved the Tommyknockers, it just takes about 300 pages to get into it in my opinion. The Tommyknockers is very creative and creepy I thought.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 662 comments Its been a long time since I read Tommyknockers, but I loved it!

Kandice | 1069 comments I have to agree that even though I don't love every story King writes, I love his style enough that I would never not finish one of his books. The few I have not re-read over and over is as far as I could go in the "not liking it" direction.

Lori (Barfield) Sorry Rob there is no B side. And i've read Tommyknockers twice, it's a good book!
"There is no bad Stephen King book," LOL :o)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 662 comments Lori wrote: " Sorry Rob there is no B side. And i've read Tommyknockers twice, it's a good book!
"There is no bad Stephen King book," LOL :o)"

I second that! :P

Lori (Barfield) I know that dear Rob. (by the way Needfull Things is good too) Fatma didn't like Tommyknockers, hell she didn't even finish it.LOL She really should . Thank you Kathy everyone needs someone on their side.

Mark | 35 comments Not only did she not finish it. She said she put it down after the first chapter.

Sorry, Fatma, but for a book that size I don't think you really gave it much of a chance. Again, I hope you will give it another try.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gerald's Game (other topics)
Christine (other topics)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (other topics)
Just After Sunset (other topics)
Duma Key (other topics)
More...