The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Wendy's Task

Comments (showing 100-149)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 149: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Sweet! Thanks!

message 148: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Wendy.... All right. So I just reread Rites of Spring (Break) by Diana Peterfreund. It's about a girl who is in a secret society in college. Her big brother (in the society) is g..."

works fine.

message 147: by Sara ♥ (last edited Oct 06, 2009 10:42PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Wendy.... All right. So I just reread Rites of Spring (Break) by Diana Peterfreund. It's about a girl who is in a secret society in college. Her big brother (in the society) is gay and is a SUPER-positive character. And he's actually in this book quite a lot. (He came out at the end of the first book, and wasn't in the second book much, so it was great to see him being true to himself in this book.) One of her sorority sisters is a lesbian as well. She's not the kind of person you'd want mad at you, but I REALLY like her character. She's feisty. Neither of them are SUPER main characters (Malcolm is more than Demetria), but they are both strong secondary characters. They're in the book enough that we get to hear about their love lives in the story.

Would that work for you? (If it makes any difference, I really feel like this book is appropriate for the task, and not like I'm trying to pull a fast one over on you! ;) )

message 146: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Julie wrote: "ok thanks"

Sorry I really liked Nick and Nora But it works probably for 50.1 Part 2 emotions -love. It also might count for coming of age 5.9

message 145: by Julie J (new)

Julie J | 119 comments ok thanks

message 144: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Julie wrote: "Does it have to be a main character or just a "character" in the book? Because couldn't Nick and Norah work then? I just read it specifically for that task cuz I saw at the beginning of the month t..."

There are no developed gay characters in Nick and Nora. It was disallowed a month ago,. I read it in August and I was surprised because I expected the gay band members to be a part of the book as they were in the movie, but alas they were not developed at all. Can't have a positive character without any development!!!

message 143: by Julie J (new)

Julie J | 119 comments Does it have to be a main character or just a "character" in the book? Because couldn't Nick and Norah work then? I just read it specifically for that task cuz I saw at the beginning of the month that lots of people were reading it for the task. Unfortunately I didn't check back to see that it had been disallowed recently.

3. WENDY'S TASK - Harvey Milk, The First Openly Gay Man To Be Elected To Public Office In California, Was Murdered On November 27, 1978. In Honor Of Him Read A Book With A Positive Gay Or Lesbian Character.

Thanks either way!

message 142: by Kat (new)

Kat (ThatCrazyKatLady) | 15 comments I'm in the middle of a lovely book called Trumpet by Jackie Kay. It is centred around a positive transgendered character, and the writing thus far, I think, is just exquisite.

message 141: by Krista (last edited Oct 08, 2009 11:54AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Wendy wrote: "SuzieR wrote: "Sorry if this has been asked before ... does The 19th Wife work for your task Wendy?"

Yes. It has a gay character Jordan. Should be an interesting read from the reviews."

Suzie -- just as an FYI, Julie also approved this book for her 'Christian Fiction' task. Looks like you'll have some choices where to actually use it. I LOVE it when I get a book I can shuffle around if need be. :-)

message 140: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments SuzieR wrote: "Sorry if this has been asked before ... does The 19th Wife work for your task Wendy?"

Yes. It has a gay character Jordan. Should be an interesting read from the reviews.

message 139: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) Sorry if this has been asked before ... does The 19th Wife work for your task Wendy?

message 138: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Janice wrote: "Lindsey wrote: "Didn't JK Rowling once say that Dumledore was gay? So would Harry Potter count? I'm not going to use it, but I'm just throwing it out there. "

It's never expressly mentioned in t..."

No NO No Harry Potter. Dumbledore is not gay in actuality only in stereotypic affect, quite the opposite of what I had in mind.

message 137: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments April wrote: "Wendy, is it okay if I use Ash by Malinda Lo? It's sort of a lesbian Cinderella, but so much more than that. From the reviews I've read, it's got some positive lesbian characters, an..."

Of course

message 136: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Kathryn wrote: "I was wondering if I could use The Abstinence Teacher for this task. I am only on the second chapter, but there are already a couple of positive gay characters Gregory and Randall. Th..."

Sure

message 135: by Jan (the Gryphon) (new)

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 228 comments Lindsey wrote: "Didn't JK Rowling once say that Dumledore was gay? So would Harry Potter count? I'm not going to use it, but I'm just throwing it out there. "

It's never expressly mentioned in the books. Rowling only "admitted" it in an interview later.

message 134: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 928 comments I was wondering if I could use The Abstinence Teacher for this task. I am only on the second chapter, but there are already a couple of positive gay characters Gregory and Randall. They seem really sweet. Anyway, I was wondering if this would work for this task???

message 133: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments Wendy, is it okay if I use Ash by Malinda Lo? It's sort of a lesbian Cinderella, but so much more than that. From the reviews I've read, it's got some positive lesbian characters, and it's gotten fantastic book reviews from the YA blogging community :-D

Pretty pleaseeeee :-D

message 132: by [deleted user] (new)

I can think of a lot of positive characters in YA books:

David Levithan and Alex Sanchez write a lot of gay fiction.

Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden
Empress of the World by Sara Ryan
Naomi and Eli's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle
Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (one of my favorite books ever! If you haven't read this, you should!)

message 131: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3147 comments Nicki wrote: "I'm going to read one of Sarah Waters books for this task - quite a few (if not all) have main characters who are gay and they are supposed to be very good.

And I can really, real..."

I read Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit last week and highly recommend it. It can also be read as a book about adoption.

message 130: by Nicki (last edited Sep 10, 2009 09:28AM) (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments I'm going to read one of Sarah Waters books for this task - quite a few (if not all) have main characters who are gay and they are supposed to be very good.

And I can really, really recommend Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit. I read it for the summer challenge and it was brilliant. 4.5 stars :)

message 129: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Kristina wrote: "I already finished City of Glass for this task (I love Magnus!), but I'm reading The 19th Wife A Novel for Julie's task and I think it might work here for anyone who'..."

It's so much better when the book is actually good..!!

message 128: by Kay (new)

Kay (Neenamara) | 74 comments I already finished City of Glass for this task (I love Magnus!), but I'm reading The 19th Wife A Novel for Julie's task and I think it might work here for anyone who's still looking. I'm only on page 150, but one of the main narrators is gay. He's going through a difficult situation, but it's completely unrelated to his sexual orientation. Also, it's really good so far!

message 127: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Ruby wrote: "How about Virinia Woolf's Orlando?

Or perhaps Virginia Woolf's Moment's of Being (an autobiographical work, I believe)

I could also suggest Augusten Burrough's Running with Scissors, althou..."

See my response in post 62 re Running With Scissors.

message 126: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Dionisia wrote: "Beth(MN) wrote: "The relationship in The Book of Lost Things wasn't gay, from my recollection. One of the men was fully grown, one was just a boy--so they were just friends. But when the boy disc..."
I don't want you to give it away, but does it end up with anything gay? LOL

message 125: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (Rube) How about Virinia Woolf's Orlando?

Or perhaps Virginia Woolf's Moment's of Being (an autobiographical work, I believe)

I could also suggest Augusten Burrough's Running with Scissors, although the relationship described in the book between young Augusten and a troubled older man didn't seem very "positive" at the time...

message 124: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 434 comments Beth(MN) wrote: "The relationship in The Book of Lost Things wasn't gay, from my recollection. One of the men was fully grown, one was just a boy--so they were just friends. But when the boy discovered his knight..."

I was not referring to Roland's relationship with the boy David but to another knight named Raphael. Roland wore a silver locket with Raphael's picture in it. At night he whispered to this picture and spoke of love. Roland also mentioned that his father did not approve of the way he lived his life and he was banished from his lands. After that he went on a quest to find Raphael again. He openly said that he loved Raphael but that the rest was nobody's business. I do not want to give too much of what happens away!

message 123: by Beth F. (last edited Sep 04, 2009 12:23PM) (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 567 comments The relationship in The Book of Lost Things wasn't gay, from my recollection. One of the men was fully grown, one was just a boy--so they were just friends. But when the boy discovered his knight friend was gay I remember him feeling uncomfortable about it...

It's been over a year since I read it though, I might be remembering something incorrectly.

message 122: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Dionisia wrote: "I read The Book of Lost Things not too long ago. Would this book work for this task? I thought the love and devotion that the character Roland had for Raphael was quite beautiful. L..."
Must be gay. If the two men have more than a friendship then it counts, if they don't, no.

message 121: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 434 comments I read The Book of Lost Things not too long ago. Would this book work for this task? I thought the love and devotion that the character Roland had for Raphael was quite beautiful. Like Mrs. Dalloway, it was never expressly mentioned that he was gay.

message 120: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Kristina wrote: "Yay! Thanks! Now I won't have to wait until December to find out what happens :D"
Don't forget to share with us!!!

message 119: by Kay (new)

Kay (Neenamara) | 74 comments Yay! Thanks! Now I won't have to wait until December to find out what happens :D

message 118: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Yes. That's fine.

message 117: by Kay (new)

Kay (Neenamara) | 74 comments I've been reading the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, which features 2 great gay characters. I was hoping to read the last book in the series, City of Glass, for this task but I'm not sure (obviously) what happens to either character. They fight demons and such, so clearly they are at risk ;)

Since they are positive characters and any death would likely be from supernatural causes rather than hate crimes or suicide, would that work?

message 116: by Teresa in Ohio (new)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Wendy wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Flight Dreams A Mark Manning Mystery

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/C_A...

so does it work?"

thank you, NOW off to find SOMETHING for THAT german task.

It works. Happy ending it appears to have."

message 115: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (MaryBethBaker) | 138 comments If anyone is still looking for a book for Wendy's Task after all the wonderful suggestions thus far, here are a few authors to check out:

Marc Acito
Frank Anthony Polito
Andre Aciman

message 114: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Teresa wrote: "Flight Dreams A Mark Manning Mystery

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/C_A...

so does it work?"

It works. Happy ending it appears to have.

message 113: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Rachel Lee wrote: "Thanks for the quick answer. I had planned to use it after I read your post, but then I couldn't find anything out about the characters."

The two main characters are gay.

message 111: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Thanks for the quick answer. I had planned to use it after I read your post, but then I couldn't find anything out about the characters.

message 110: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Rachel Lee wrote: "Wendy wrote: "I'm reading A Case of Exploding Mangoes
by Mohammed Hanif "

I counldn't find much out about this book and just wanted to make sure that you were reading this for your task. I tho..."

I AM READING IT FOR MY TASK IT LOOKS EXCELLENT

message 109: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Wendy wrote: "I'm reading A Case of Exploding Mangoes
by Mohammed Hanif "

I counldn't find much out about this book and just wanted to make sure that you were reading this for your task. I thought it sounded really interesting.

message 108: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments El wrote: "Andreea, a "positive" gay/lesbian character would be one whose story is not centered around negative behavior - pedophilia, molestation, suicide, etc. There should a positive story there, and not ..."

EL, YOU WERE JUST PERFECT!!! I READ YOURS AFTER I WROTE MINE AND I LIKED YOURS BETTER!!!!

message 107: by Wendy (last edited Aug 28, 2009 02:18PM) (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Andreea wrote: "Marguerite Yourcenar has another book with a gay main character- Alexis, it's actually a coming out story and it's relatively short and really lovely. I think I'm going to read Sodom and Gomorrah a..."

Gay person hates himself and commit suicide is not positive. Gay protagonist is beaten by a hater and ends up in hospital, not positive. I want the gay character to be having a fun life like in BOY Meets BOY.

message 106: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Nicole wrote: "If you already read the recommended Steve Kluger book, Almost Like Being in Love A Novelalso features gay characters. Wendy, would you consider them positive? Based on my reading of ..."

YES it's a fun read too.

message 105: by El (new)

El Andreea, a "positive" gay/lesbian character would be one whose story is not centered around negative behavior - pedophilia, molestation, suicide, etc. There should a positive story there, and not one that could fall into negative stereotypes about gay/lesbian culture or sexual identity. Wendy can probably be more specific, but I have a feeling this is the direction she is going. Look for one where the gay character overcomes adversity through positive behavior.

message 104: by Andreea (last edited Aug 28, 2009 04:00AM) (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 61 comments Marguerite Yourcenar has another book with a gay main character- Alexis, it's actually a coming out story and it's relatively short and really lovely. I think I'm going to read Sodom and Gomorrah as I've already read the first two books of In Search of Lost Time.

What puzzles me is the definition of a "positive" character.

message 103: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) | 660 comments No problem! I'm really liking my Fall list too. For some reason it was way easier to find books for this challenge as opposed to the summer one. I can't wait to start!

message 102: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1043 comments I hope she says yes! I am excited to read it! so far I think my Fall Challenge list is way cooler than my Summer one was! Plus I have been getting a lot of great ideas from you Cait. THANKS!

message 101: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) | 660 comments Nicole wrote: "If you already read the recommended Steve Kluger book, Almost Like Being in Love A Novelalso features gay characters. Wendy, would you consider them positive? Based on my reading of ..."

I know I'm not Wendy, but that totally looks like it would work. Regardless, I've added yet another book to my TBR. Oy.... :o)

message 100: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1043 comments If you already read the recommended Steve Kluger book, Almost Like Being in Love A Novelalso features gay characters. Wendy, would you consider them positive? Based on my reading of his other book and the fact that they describe the relationships like any relationship (which to me is a positive thing) I think so.
Can I read it?

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Maurice (other topics)
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (other topics)
Hero (other topics)
Magic's Pawn (other topics)
Brokeback Mountain (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

May Sarton (other topics)
Chris Bohjalian (other topics)
Elinor Lipman (other topics)
Frank Anthony Polito (other topics)
André Aciman (other topics)
More...