Cozy Mysteries discussion

Cozy corner > When you're not reading a cozy....

Comments (showing 351-400 of 5,458) (5458 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by Shannon (last edited Apr 13, 2010 12:08PM) (new)

Shannon (sianin) Lately I have been reading a number of books by Canadian authors. It just sort of happened that way. Most recently I have read: The Birth House (really liked it); Summer of My Amazing Luck: A Novel (again really liked it); Through Black Spruce (yup, really liked it); Shelf Monkey (not so much but others have liked it); Icefields (was pretty good) and De Niro's Game|(excellent writing but difficult subject matter). And now back to a few cozies in a row. (But first am finishing up a non-cosy mystery recommended to me by my dad who loved: Carved in Bone and I have to admit I am enjoying but I like forensic anthropology).

message 352: by Denise (new)

Denise | 758 comments Michelle wrote: "Have you read Hide In Plain Sight? She writes Amish mysteries/ romance type. An excellent read if you haven't. If you have a kindle I believe it's still free"

No, Michelle, I haven't read any books by Marta Perry. I will have to check her out. Thanks for the suggestion.

message 353: by Denise (new)

Denise | 758 comments Melodie wrote: "Oh, A DIRTY JOB is a hoot!! But then I'm partial to Christopher Moore!..."

Melodie: This is the first Christopher Moore book for me. It is pretty funny but definitely odd. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

message 354: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5987 comments Denise wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Oh, A DIRTY JOB is a hoot!! But then I'm partial to Christopher Moore!..."

Melodie: This is the first Christopher Moore book for me. It is pretty funny but definit..."

He's probably not for everybody. His humor is definitely irreverent and off-kilter. Sort of like me!

message 355: by Tina (new)

Tina Whittle (TinaWhittle) | 31 comments Hi, I'm new to Goodreads, new to this list, trying to figure of what's going on. I mainly read (and write) mystery fiction, but I've been wanting to dive into a Christopher Moore for a while. Is DIRTY JOB a good place to start?

message 356: by alicia (new)

alicia (shesha34) Right now i'm reading Isolation

message 357: by alicia (new)

alicia (shesha34) Heidi wrote: "alicia wrote: "Okay right now I have started Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, Book 6) by J.A. Konrath and a YA book Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr"

How is Wicked Lovely?"

I did not care for Wicked lovely and quit not to far in.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments Thanks Alicia, and welcome Tina!

message 359: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5987 comments Tina wrote: "Hi, I'm new to Goodreads, new to this list, trying to figure of what's going on. I mainly read (and write) mystery fiction, but I've been wanting to dive into a Christopher Moore for a while. Is DI..."

As good a place as any. Mostly his books are stand-alones, except in the case of the vampire books. There are 3 of them, so far. Bloodsucking Fiends (Love Story, #1) by Christopher Moore, You Suck (Love Story, #2) by Christopher Moore and Bite Me (Love Story, #3) by Christopher Moore. Actually, I think I remember brief appearances of a couple of characters from this series in A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore, but that's no biggie.

message 360: by Denise (new)

Denise | 758 comments Tina wrote: "Hi, I'm new to Goodreads, new to this list, trying to figure of what's going on. I mainly read (and write) mystery fiction, but I've been wanting to dive into a Christopher Moore for a while. Is DI..."

Welcome, Tina, this is a really good group for someone who reads and writes mysteries, mostly cozy in nature.

As for Christopher Moore be ready for a wild ride. What a bizarre book A Dirty Job is. Laugh out loud funny in parts, actually sad in a few (although this is not the norm), but so compelling that I have to keep reading it even though it is probably one of the weirdest books I have ever read. As Melodie said, probably not for everyone. I keep thinking "why am I reading this, there are so many more worthwhile books to read" but then I turn the page and keep on going. I have to admit, I looked to the back to see how it ends and I'm still reading it. It's kind of like Steven Wright humor (for those of you that don't know Steven Wright here are a few Steven Wright jokes from his website www.wright-house.com:

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read."
- Steven Wright

A cop stopped me for speeding. He said, "Why were you going so fast?" I said, "See this thing my foot is on? It's called an accelerator. When you push down on it, it sends more gas to the engine. The whole car just takes right off. And see this thing? This steers it."
- Steven Wright

I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.
- Steven Wright

If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?
- Steven Wright

My best advice is check one of his books out of the library and try it. If you like it great, if not you don't have any money invested in it. I think I will read another of his books. He has one about Coyote medicine (Native American). I love Native American stuff and I want to see how irreverant he is with that topic. Of course there is another book of his called Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. This is probably soooo bad, one of those books that if you laugh you think OMG I'm going to hell for sure now.

message 361: by Tina (new)

Tina Whittle (TinaWhittle) | 31 comments Hi Denise,

Thank you for the welcome, and for the recommendation. I'm sure my reading list has me headed for hell already (or some portion thereof -- I should see if Satan has a profile; we could swap titles). I LOVE Steven Wright (you gotta know the delivery to really appreciate his jokes)so that's a big clue I'll like this. Thanks!

So yes -- reading and writing cozies is my thing. Unfortunately, finishing the book really cut into my reading time, and I feel waaay behind in who's good, what's new, in mysteries, esp cozies. I look forward to catching up and coming home from the library with my limit once again.

message 362: by Tina (new)

Tina Whittle (TinaWhittle) | 31 comments Heidi wrote: "Thanks Alicia, and welcome Tina!"

Thanks, Heidi! I'm really looking forward to diving in here!

message 363: by Tina (new)

Tina Whittle (TinaWhittle) | 31 comments Thanks, Melodie!

I didn't know about Moore's vampire books -- the Sookie Stackhouse series is my favorite non-cozy paranormal mystery, so I might try these out too. From what I'm gathering, Moore is undiscovered country that I'll really enjoy.

message 364: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (Kimberly75149) | 23 comments I'm reading The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files) by Clive Cusslerby Clive Cussler. A good adventure mystery. Very entertaining so far.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments I just started Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder last night. p.s. I finished The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King last week and really liked it.

message 366: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5987 comments Currently reading The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks and [image error]. I was a HUGE Tommy James & the Shondells fan back in the day!

message 367: by Denise (new)

Denise | 758 comments Don't know if anyone noticed but I haven't been on here for about a week. My modem died and I had to get a new one sent to me. Wow, I was starting to get serious withdrawl and am happy to be back on here. While not being able to check in here I read, read, read. No cozies though. I finished A Dirty Job and as I said before strange, very strange. But I am going to read another of his books just to see if he is as weird as I think he is!

After A Dirty Job I read City of Joy. EVERYONE should read this book. It is unbelievable how the people survive under the circumstances they live in. It was heart wrenching. You will probably also feel like a glutton after reading this book.

Then I read The Truth Book: Escaping a Childhood of Abuse Among Jehovah's Witnesses.

And last but definitely not least I read The Department of Lost & Found: A Novel. I had put this on reserve last month after reading Time of My Life: A Novel by the same author. A week ago a friend and former co-worker contacted me and told me she has stage 3 breast cancer. When I picked this book up to read the protagonist has stage 3 breast cancer. Whoa--that was too weird. This is a very well written book and although I have never had breast cancer it felt very authentic as I was reading the book. Excellent read, I would recommend it to all.

I am currently reading a bit of fluff by the name of The Engagement Project. I think I needed something light after the last 3 books. It will be a quick read, I will be done with it by tomorrow evening (if it even takes me that long).

message 368: by Priscilla (last edited Apr 24, 2010 07:03AM) (new)

Priscilla | 126 comments Along with cozies I read a mix too.. Historical, Chic Lit, I also read young adult books Such as Chain Letter,Chain Letter Chain Letter by Christopher Pike I also enjoy reading Themed Fiction books involving Christmas, halloween, etc The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine HoweI enjoy Witch History fiction also, The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments Priscilla - I love YA books too :)

message 370: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla | 126 comments Glad someone else enjoys the young adult books too Heidi! Some are really good, they seem to have a good mix of atmosphere, action, characer develpopment.. I have enjoyed some YA books more than normal fiction. I am soon to start reading The Initiation and The Captive, Part I (The Secret Circle, #1-2) by L.J. Smith Its Witchy themed rather than vampires! So hoping I enjoy this one..

message 371: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5987 comments Priscilla wrote: "Glad someone else enjoys the young adult books too Heidi! Some are really good, they seem to have a good mix of atmosphere, action, characer develpopment.. I have enjoyed some YA books more than no..."

Another YA fan here! I only like the supernatural themed YA stuff, and most of what I've read is first rate stuff. I haven't read L.J. Smith's SECRET CIRCLE. Have read the VAMPIRE DIARIES. Unfortunately, I've read all 6 of them! The last 2 have been pretty awful and I also have her NIGHTWORLD books in The Pile.

message 372: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5987 comments Denise wrote: "Don't know if anyone noticed but I haven't been on here for about a week. My modem died and I had to get a new one sent to me. Wow, I was starting to get serious withdrawl and am happy to be back o..."

THE DERARTMENT OF LOST & FOUND sounds like it is probably a good book, but my mom had breast cancer a year and a half ago and things like that hit too close to home for me. I read for entertainment and escape and that's all too real.

message 373: by Denise (new)

Denise | 758 comments Melodie wrote: "THE DERARTMENT OF LOST & FOUND sounds like it is probably a good book, but my mom had breast cancer a year and a half ago and things like that hit too close to home for me. I read for entertainment and escape and that's all too real..."

I understand about reading things that hit too close. Everyone handles sickness and death differently. I am just the opposite. I lost my significant other of 13 years (we were going to get married at Christmas 1995 and he died in July 1995). Tom died of pancreatic cancer just 6 weeks after he was diagnosed. Since then I have read all kinds of stuff, fiction and non-fiction, on cancer, dying, reincarnation, you name it I read it. On a positive note, my friend that I mentioned that I just found out she has breast cancer emailed me that she had surgery and they took the lump and one lymph gland and they feel that they got it all, it hadn't spread to her lungs, or other lympth nodes. She is going to have radiation therapy and some alternative medicine therapies and they feel she will be cancer free. I was so glad to hear this as she is only 44 and has a young daughter.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments I just finished Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder and loved it. It is not a YA book, but I highly recommend it to my fellow YA lovers.

message 375: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla | 126 comments Thanks Heidi..I had this one my to read pile at one point..Sounds really good.I enjoy some historical books, and was going to order it, then i read on Amazon someone said it had quite a lot of violence..was that an over reaction? I really wanted to give the study series a go..

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments I did not think it was overly violent at all.

message 377: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla | 126 comments Someone must of just been a bit too sensitive lol..Back on the to read pile it goes! May as well try it.. Thanks x

message 379: by Nell (new)

Nell | 808 comments Dru wrote: "I just finished Saving Ceecee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman and I highly recommend this novel."

I read about this book and wondered if it was as good as the promos made it sound. Thanks for the recommendation.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments Dru - I just read Saving Ceecee Honeycutt too. I listened to it on audio and it was read by one of my favorite narrators so that made it even better. I liked it too. It was a nice story, but it did not have a huge plot. It was more character based.

message 381: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5987 comments I'm almost done with Kiss Of Death (The Morganville Vampires, #8) by Rachel Caine.

message 382: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 4503 comments Mod
Finished Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen last night. I won't mention how long that book was in my TBR pile, but I do wish I had read it much sooner. Yes, I absolutely loved it! What finally prompted me to read it, despite seeing two different movie versions numerous times, is the series currently showing on PBS, LOST IN AUSTEN. Anyone else watching that?

message 383: by Mary (new)

Mary (resort) | 157 comments Heather L wrote: "Finished Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen last night. I won't mention how long that book was in my TBR pile, but I do wish I had read it much sooner. Yes, I absolutely loved it! Wh..."

Heather, Pride and Prejudice might be my all-time favorite book :-). I've seen most movie or T.V. versions of it - some better than others. But I re-read the book for the pleasure of it regularly. If Jane Austen had only lived longer to write more! (and if I could only write 1/3 as well :-)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments The one and only Pride & Prejudice movie for me is with one with Colin Firth.
Heather L - I have watched Lost in Austen and I liked it all the way up until the ending, which I was not a huge fan of, but it is really cute and definitely worth watching despite the ending. Heck, you may even like the ending! p.s. They don't have it on my PBS stations. Urg.

message 385: by Heather L (new)

Mary Ellen: It's definitely among my favorites, and one I will certainly reread. Incidentally, I was gifted with an anthology of three of Austen's books for college graduation by my advisor. The reason for his choosing Austen? He said it was the type of books he could imagine me writing. (blush)

Heidi: Now you have me worried about how "Lost in Austen" ends! Will be sure to let you know what I think in a couple weeks!

As for P&P... You know, I have seen the B&W version a couple times. I have seen the Keira Knightly version many times (like yesterday, lol). But I have never seen the BBC version. Every time they show it on PBS I either find out about it halfway through the 6-hr series, or soon after it runs. One of these days I'm either going to have to rent or buy it!

(Then again...maybe PBS will run it again when "Lost in Austen" ends. One can hope, right? LOL)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments Heather - I own my copy of P&P ;) I strongly dislike Keira Knightly, and really think that adaptation doesn't hold a candle to the Colin Firth one, so you must rent it! Also,keep me updated on Lost in Austen. p.s. Have you ever seen the BBC Adaptation of North & South? I just watched on Netflix and the main character is very Darcyesque :)

message 387: by Heather L (new)

Which North and South? If you mean the series based on Elizabeth Gaskell's book...have not read or seen it. The John Jakes series on the other hand...read and seen. *grin*

message 388: by Mary (new)

Mary (resort) | 157 comments Heather L wrote: ...The reason for his choosing Austen? He said it was the type of books he could imagine me writing. (blush)

That's a wonderful compliment!

message 389: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 78 comments I'm reading Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China Wild Swans  Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. A buddy read with my daughter.

message 390: by Sandie (new)

Sandie | 10313 comments Mary Ellen wrote: "Heather L wrote: "Finished Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen last night. I won't mention how long that book was in my TBR pile, but I do wish I had read it much sooner. Yes, I absol..."
I am a lover of Jane Auten too. If you are in the mood for a little nostalgia (I don't know if this would qualify as a cozy, but reading it did give me the "warm fuzzies") try THE CRAZY LADIES OF PEARL STREET. For anyone who remembers listening to all those great radio shows and taking trips fueled by imagination rather than visual aids (like TV) this will be an amusing retrospective trip down memory lane. Even if you did not grow up during the 40's and 50's, this is still a great read. Check it out and see what you think.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments Heather- the North & South based on the Elizabeth Gaskell book. I have not read the book, but may now. p.s. I have also watched the other North & South :)

message 392: by Denise (new)

Denise | 758 comments I've been on a really "non-cozy" reading binge. After finishing The Department of Lost & Found, I read The Engagement Project--a nice little romance (by the way, if any of you read romance once in a while in the back of The Engagement Project there was a page about becoming a Harlequin Ambassador. If you are interested in getting free books and who isn't? then go to www.harlequinambassadors.com and fill out a short questionaire. I did it and was accepted to be an ambassador. I haven't received anything yet but am excited to see what happens.)

After The Engagement Project I went through The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Ultimate Reading List. This book was published in 2007 so not that old and I found quite a few books to add to my want to read list. Each chapter was a different genre so you could skip a chapter if you had no interest. I compulsively had to read every entry even though there were several chapters that I didn't find any books of interest to me (Horror being one of the chapters of no interest to me). The nicest thing was each book had a two or three sentence description, enough to give you an idea of if you would like the book or not. There were also interesting sidebars about some of the books. Each section had classics listed first and then "More Great Reads" following the classics.

Last but not least I just finished Beyond the Indigo Children: The New Children and the Coming of the Fifth World. I must confess that several of the chapters I skimmed rather than read in depth. I have recently read that 2012 is supposed to be an important year of change and I am trying to gather information on the subject.

Next up I think I am going to read The Mirror. This really sounded interesting to me. I like "time travel" books and this is billed as "the classic novel of two women lost in time". Here's what it says on the back cover: "On the eve of her wedding in 1978, Shay Garrett peers into the antique mirror in her family's longtime home, the famous Victorian Gingerbread House on Pearl Street in Boulder, Colorado, and falls unconscious only to wake in the body of her own grandmother Brandy on the eve of her wedding--in 1900. The virginal Brandy, in turn, awakes in Shay's body to discover herself pregnant. What follows is a fascinating look at how two women--and their families--cope with this strange situation." Doesn't this sound really interesting? I'll keep you all posted. Has anyone already read this book? It was written and first printed in 1978. Apparently the author, Marlys Millhiser, has also written the "Charlie Greene" mystery series. I've never heard of it--has anyone???

message 393: by Denise (new)

Denise | 758 comments Kari wrote: "I read Death of the Office Witch (Charlie Greene Mystery) by Marlys Millhiser and really enjoyed it.

From the summery Charlie Greene, the lone literary agent at a colorful Hollywood talent agency and a part-time sleuth, has her hands full when someone murders Gloria, the sharp-tongued office witch..."

I didn't realize Charlie was a female but I haven't looked up the series yet. I read the names of the books in the series on the inside front cover of
The Mirror. The book names are very clever. I especially liked the titles Murder at Moot Point, Murder in a Hot Flash: A Charlie Greene Mystery, and Killer Commute. If the titles are catchy I will at least try the series so I will have to see if I can get hold of the books. I'm guessing they are pretty old since The Mirror was published in 1978 (originally) but the copy that I am reading is from the 9th printing in May 2006.

Speaking of The Mirror, it is incredibly good so far. I stayed up reading it until 3:30 a.m. this morning, I would have stayed up longer but I have things I need to go do and didn't want to sleep all day.

message 394: by Melodie (last edited Apr 29, 2010 11:34AM) (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5987 comments Denise wrote: "Kari wrote: "I read Death of the Office Witch (Charlie Greene Mystery) by Marlys Millhiser and really enjoyed it.

From the summery Charlie Greene, the lone literary agent at a colorful Hollywood talent agency and a part..."

I read THE MIRROR years ago! I got it for Christmas so it must have been in 1978. It was a good book from what I remember. And I also read MURDER IN A HOT FLASH some years back, too. It's a Charlie Green book.

message 395: by Katie (new)

Katie (cowgirl-up) | 36 comments I finished reading Essie in Progress  A Novel by Marjorie Presten, a GoodReads giveaway win for me. It was a quick and easy read, but had a definite deeper meaning about life. I enjoyed it and I'd like to read more by this author in the future.

message 396: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (BookNerd69) | 260 comments Just finished reading This Time Together by Carol Burnett. I loved it, in fact I started it this morning and finished it just around supper time! Carol Burnett is one of my heroes and love anything and everything she has done.

message 397: by Denise (new)

Denise | 758 comments I finished "The Mirror" by Marlys Millhiser. This is a 5 star read, I would recommend to anyone and everyone.

P.S. Is anyone having a problem using the add book/author at the top of the comment box? When I click on it it just takes me to the top of the page not to the search for book/author box. Very strange.

message 398: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) | 1614 comments Mod
It happens occassionally Denise. I don't know why. It usually resets itself in a few minutes, so try again later. Hopefully they'll fix the lil bug soon.

message 399: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 1014 comments I'm reading Uncertain Magic by Laura Kinsaleand it's good so far. Historical romance- a little out of my comfort zone but I am liking it. Not as much as a cozy of course!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2410 comments Kelley wrote: "Just finished reading This Time Together by Carol Burnett. I loved it, in fact I started it this morning and finished it just around supper time! Carol Burnett is one of my heroes ..."

I heart Carol too!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

No One Here Gets Out Alive (other topics)
Heaven And Hell: My Life In The Eagles (other topics)
Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N' Roses (other topics)
The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band (other topics)
Obsessive Genius: The Inner World of Marie Curie (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Christine Holden (other topics)
Charlie Newton (other topics)
Stephanie Grace Whitson (other topics)
Lynne Truss (other topics)
Debbie Macomber (other topics)
More...