Horror Aficionados discussion

Bizarro and Splatterpunk > Bizarro and Splatterpunk In General

Comments (showing 1-50 of 145) (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by William (new)

William (Acknud) | 391 comments I added this folder as a place to discuss Bizarro and Splatterpunk books. I feel they need their own section.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield | 174 comments what exactly qualifies as "splatterpunk"?

message 3: by William (new)

William (Acknud) | 391 comments Kelly wrote: "what exactly qualifies as "splatterpunk"?"

Here is the Wiki for it though I am not sure I agree with some of their author examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatter...

message 4: by Marisella (new)

Marisella (stregamari) | 421 comments Skipp and Spector,
Joe R. Lansdale
would Ed lee count? He's definitely gross enough

message 5: by Larry (new)

Larry (Hal9000i) Someone said that James Herbert's early books, the Fog, the Rats etc, are early examples of splatterpunk. I dunno,there's so many punk labels now…

message 6: by William (new)

William (Acknud) | 391 comments Marisella wrote: "Skipp and Spector,
Joe R. Lansdale
would Ed lee count? He's definitely gross enough "

I would vote Ed Lee into that group.

message 7: by William (new)

William (Acknud) | 391 comments Larry wrote: "Someone said that James Herbert's early books, the Fog, the Rats etc, are early examples of splatterpunk. I dunno,there's so many punk labels now…"

I haven't read any of those. I'll check them out.

message 8: by Larry (new)

Larry (Hal9000i) William wrote: "Larry wrote: "Someone said that James Herbert's early books, the Fog, the Rats etc, are early examples of splatterpunk. I dunno,there's so many punk labels now…"

I haven't read any of those. I'll..."

I've not read the Rats, but the Fog is great!

message 9: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (ShaunJeffrey) | 321 comments I wouldn't say they are splatterpunk, but Herbert's early books are fun reads.

message 10: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (GuidoHenkel) | 258 comments I liked "Domain" the best out of his early books, I would say.

message 11: by William (new)

William (Acknud) | 391 comments Shaun wrote: "I wouldn't say they are splatterpunk, but Herbert's early books are fun reads. "

Why would they not be examples. I have not read them so I wouldn't really know.

message 12: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (ShaunJeffrey) | 321 comments William wrote: "Shaun wrote: "I wouldn't say they are splatterpunk, but Herbert's early books are fun reads. "

Why would they not be examples. I have not read them so I wouldn't really know."

Splatterpunk was a term coined to represent graphic, gory, no holds barred fiction. Herbert's books don't go that far - at least not in my mind, unless I just don't find them that extreme.

message 13: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 220 comments Shaun wrote: "William wrote: "Shaun wrote: "I wouldn't say they are splatterpunk, but Herbert's early books are fun reads. "

Why would they not be examples. I have not read them so I wouldn't really know."
..."

They wouldn't be as extreme as the stuff we're getting now but then The Rats was written in 74 and the Fog 75.

His earlier stuff were the first books to feature graphic scenes of sex and violence. There's a minimum of plot, just enough to move to the next scene of violence.

Herbert was condemned and basically ostracised by other horror writers at the time because of the level of violence in his books. In nearly 40 years of writing horror he's hardly ever won any awards (and I don't think he's ever been nominated for things like the Stoker's) and yet up until recently he was the UK's best selling author, not best selling horror author, best selling author.

Yeh maybe his stuff isn't as graphic as say, Ed Lee, (although there is a lot of sexualised violence) his stuff is still graphic, gory and I'd say The Fog at least is "no holds barred' fiction; so I'd say he was Splatterpunk. But even if you think his stuff is too tame by today's standards, he's certainly where splatterpunk started.

message 14: by Larry (new)

Larry (Hal9000i) Personally I hate these new labels people keep bringing up. To me its all horror,simple!

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 220 comments Larry wrote: "Personally I hate these new labels people keep bringing up. To me its all horror,simple!"

I agree with you Larry, I'm not a big fan of labels. They're needed to some extent though.

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23516 comments When you think about it, isn't "horror" a label of a certain type of fiction?

message 17: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 894 comments I just finished reading John Dies at the End and I personally would classify this as a bizzaro novel. For those that have read it, would you think this classifies as a bizzaro novel?

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23516 comments I could only get through 1/3 of John Dies. But definitely it's a bizarro, IMO.

message 19: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i'm sorry, but this said new folder so i don't know where to ask this question, but has anybody read 'zombie' by joyce carol oates, it's about a serial killer who tries to find the perfect zombie/servant, i idk the premise seems interesting....any help or recos would be great!

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23516 comments Zombie is a good book and worth a read. I guess it's more of a novella, though. It's not very long but very affective. Oates is a wonderful writer no matter what subject she tackles. She can do it ALL.

message 21: by StephanieT (new)

StephanieT | 883 comments Yeah I'm surprised there isn't more stuff here on Joyce Carol Oates.
I read one of her collections of short stories, kinda creeped me out with all the allusions to child molestations though.

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott I hate seeing her name in the contents of an anthology I intend to read. I find her an absolute bore.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23516 comments I like everything of hers I've read. She's written so much, though, that there could be some clunkers in her biblio.

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 1620 comments Stephanie wrote: "Yeah I'm surprised there isn't more stuff here on Joyce Carol Oates.
I read one of her collections of short stories, kinda creeped me out with all the allusions to child molestations though."

Her one book features a girl who makes it through her mother's gang rape trust me her stuff can be damned dark!

message 25: by mark (last edited Jul 08, 2010 03:06PM) (new)

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) | 714 comments Rape: A Love Story. interesting novella but not one of my favorites. awesome author. i've been trying for a while to read each and every one of her novels. but man she's written a lot! so far, no disasters. but Zombie may be one of my lesser favorites. same with Black Water, which has a legion of fans and i'm not sure why. my personal favorites are Bellefleur and A Bloodsmoor Romance.

message 26: by StephanieT (new)

StephanieT | 883 comments Bryan wrote: "a serial killer who tries to find the perfect zombie/servant..."

Jeffrey Dahmer!

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 1620 comments Stephanie wrote: "Bryan wrote: "a serial killer who tries to find the perfect zombie/servant..."

Jeffrey Dahmer!"

I was thinking that too

message 28: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments Has anyone read either 'A MILLION VERSIONS OF RIGHT' by Matthew Revert, or 'SPARE KEY' by R. Frederick Hamilton, they are definitely bizarro/splatterpunk, They both look intriguing, so I'm going to order them soon...Any comments/reviews would be awesome!!

message 29: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i keep wanting to order 'jack and mr. grin' but i havent heard enough about it to warrant the purchase, can anyone give me any insight into whether it's great,good or meh?

message 30: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 894 comments I enjoyed it, it's not as bizzaro as some of the other bizzaro novels I've read, but I felt it was better written than the few I've read so far. I didn't feel I wasted my money buy purchasing it.

message 31: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments thanks jerrod

message 32: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Pietro | 119 comments If you're thinking of reading "Jack and Mr Grin" you should check out Andersen Prunty other works like "Morning Is Dead". I just got done reading it and fell in love with the whole story. Now I want to read all Andersen's Books. I can't wait to pickup "Jack and Mr Grin". Happy Reading!

message 33: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i heard zerostrata was really well written and an intriguing story as well(for a bizarro novel), but thanks

message 34: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23516 comments Thanks, Natalie.

message 35: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23516 comments Just bought it at Amazon for the Kindle.

message 36: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Pietro | 119 comments That's great to hear Tressa. I read that book to on the amazon kindle. Isn't that the best book device around. I've noticed I've been reading more since I got it. Enjoy the story I really think you will like it.

message 37: by Tressa (last edited Aug 16, 2010 11:28AM) (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23516 comments I love that I got it delivered immediately and I paid under three bucks, while I would have waited for the snail mail to deliver the eleven buck book.

I am reading way more with my Kindle. Don't know if it's just because of the novelty, or the fact that once I finish a book, I can immediately move on to my back log.

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 17 comments I love my Nook. E is the greatest, especially if the alternative is a 700 page hardback... a weird book that might as well go here is Happy Hour of the Damned. It is written like a supernatural Frommer's tour guide of Seattle. The rest of the story is about a newly made zombie who has a friend go missing. She is trying really hard to be a good friend and find her buddy, but keeps getting overwhelmed by the whole need-to-eat-brains thing. I laughed, but it was guilty laughter-- shame on me for thinking these things are funny.

message 39: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments Hey, has anyone read anything by Jeremy C. Shipp?? i want to order 'CURSED' and 'SHEEPS AND WOLVES' all of his book come highly recommended and have 4.5 or higher reviews on amazon and every other book/review site i've gone to....Although i havent talked with anyone personally about his novels, they definitely look promising! Can anyone give me any insight as to how his books are and what they are about? mainly the former 2 i mentioned, especially 'CURSED'-which looks like an occult horror novel in the vein of rosemary's baby with youth, so hopefully someone can tell me something about this author....

message 40: by Ken (last edited Dec 25, 2010 05:51AM) (new)

Ken (ReedR) | 44 comments I too, am slightly confused by Slatterpunk. Would Ed Lee be considered a Splatterpunk author ? How about that book, Meat by D'Lacey ?

message 41: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments yes ed lee is vintage splatterpunk and meat by d'lacey is splatterpunk/horror..splatterpunk is just basically horror with excessive amounts of blood, guts, and gore. Violence is always enhanced.

message 42: by Steve (last edited Jan 04, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Steve Lowe (Steve_Lowe) Bryan wrote: "Hey, has anyone read anything by Jeremy C. Shipp?? i want to order 'CURSED' and 'SHEEPS AND WOLVES' all of his book come highly recommended and have 4.5 or higher reviews on amazon and every other ..."

Bryan - I've read Cursed and very much enjoyed it. Not exactly horror, compared to some of his short fiction I've read online and which shows up in Sheep and Wolves, but well worth the read. It's almost sweet in many ways, and quite unique in both content and style.

Also, Andersen Prunty's Morning is Dead is excellent. A great example of bizarro-ish horror.

message 43: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Pietro | 119 comments I loved Morning is Dead by Andersen Prunty. An originally amazing read.

message 44: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Cook | 35 comments Morning is Dead, Zerostrata and The Sorrow King are all really amazing. Jack and Mr.Grin somewhat less so than those three.

message 45: by Bob (new)

Bob (bolorkay) | 224 comments Thomas Tryon ???? I just finished watching "The Other" (wonderful screenplay and acting by Ms.Hagen and the twins) and I stared to think.. Is Mr. Tryon an author worth seeking out ? Besides "The Other" and "Harvest Home", has he written primarily horror?

message 46: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 9779 comments I read The Night of the Moonbow by Tryon and enjoyed it, the horror of it was subtle and psychological, it might not even be classified as horror by some, but in any case I thought it was a pretty well written and compelling book

message 47: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 857 comments Jerrod wrote: "I just finished reading John Dies at the End and I personally would classify this as a bizzaro novel. For those that have read it, would you think this classifies as a bizzaro novel?"

Definitely. A great book too. I liked it a lot. I read parts when he was releasing it online, so it was great that it was finally collected into a single volume.

message 48: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 857 comments Bryan wrote: "Hey, has anyone read anything by Jeremy C. Shipp?? i want to order 'CURSED' and 'SHEEPS AND WOLVES' all of his book come highly recommended and have 4.5 or higher reviews on amazon and every other ..."

Jeremy writes some good horror. I have talked to him a few times and he is very enthusiastic about his work and horror in general.

I have read Vacation and most of his short stories. I would recommend him without hesitation.

message 49: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23516 comments I couldn't get into Vacation at all. I have a copy of Sheeps and Wolves. Is that better than Vacation?

message 50: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Cook | 35 comments Sheep and Wolves is a lot of things. You'll have fun exploring it.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Happy Hour of the Damned (other topics)
The Night of the Moonbow (other topics)
American Psycho (other topics)
Cthulhu Comes to the Vampire Kingdom (other topics)
Badass Horror (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

David J. Schow (other topics)
Carlton Mellick III (other topics)