Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Front Parlor > Splurges, Show Thyself!

Comments (showing 1405-1454)    post a comment »

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 602 comments I've been incredibly busy and so have had no time for reading, but things look a little more relaxed now. Besides, my kids got me an Amazon gift card for my birthday, so I have bought The Warrior by our Laura Gill (the word Warrior turned up 700+ pages of titles on goodreads, so I am not going to add a link) and Crestmont by our Holly Weiss and, what I will probably read first because I need to, Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by Oliver Sacks.

I have also managed to vote early and so I hope to tune out the election chatter for the next month and escape into literature.

message 1453: by Liza (new)

Liza Perrat (httpwwwgoodreadscomLizaPerrat) | 387 comments Besides, what great bargains! Nothing to resist, eh?

message 1452: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi (vintagegoodness) | 10 comments lol Liza yeah it was one of those don't even bother trying to resist moments ;)

message 1451: by Liza (new)

Liza Perrat (httpwwwgoodreadscomLizaPerrat) | 387 comments As I commented on your blog post, Mitzi, I wouldn't have been able to resist such temptation either!

message 1450: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi (vintagegoodness) | 10 comments I gave in at a church tag sale this weekend - there were too many like new $2 hardcover historical fiction novels, I couldn't resist! I posted about them yesterday on my blog, http://www.mitziswisher.com.

message 1448: by Dem (new)

Dem | 238 comments LemonLinda wrote: "I had preordered Winter of the World and it came last week. I have two to finish before getting to it, but I am excited as I so loved Fall of Giants."

I just received my copy today and really excited about it too although going to be few weeks before I get to read it as commited to bookclub reads before I get to it. If you start before I do, would love to hear what you think Linda.

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 850 comments I had preordered Winter of the World and it came last week. I have two to finish before getting to it, but I am excited as I so loved Fall of Giants.

message 1446: by C.P. (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:20PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 598 comments David wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm off to Costco tomorrow to see if they have the new Ken Follett book, Winter of the World. I was all prepared to download it but decided for $19.99, I'd rather buy the hardcover s..."

Me, too, Nancy. $9.99 is my limit for an e-book, and I have to really want the book for that. Otherwise, I will pay up to $7.99, on the grounds that any decent writer deserves at least the cost of a mass-market paperback. If the writer is indie and actually collecting a significant portion of that sum in royalties, more power to 'em.

It's not exactly true that it costs nothing to produce an e-book, even an indie one. There are costs for editing, software, cover design, marketing, and the author's labor. How steep those are varies depending on how much the author can do for him/herself. My writers' group formed a cooperative, Five Directions Press, to pool our (nonfinancial) resources and keep those costs down.

But there's no way you're going to convince me that it costs $20. That's a traditional publisher trying desperately to hold onto a traditional pricing model.

message 1445: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2763 comments David wrote: "I do have that option. Frankly I hadn't thought about that. Downloading ebooks is my drug of choice and my wife gets on my case when all those Barnes and Noble charges on our Visa invoice. Right no..."

LOL. My motto is that as long as it's in ebook form it doesn't count against my To-Be-Read pile.

message 1444: by David (new)

David | 16 comments I do have that option. Frankly I hadn't thought about that. Downloading ebooks is my drug of choice and my wife gets on my case when all those Barnes and Noble charges on our Visa invoice. Right now I have close to 900 books on my Nook and several more on my laptop in Kindle format. At the age of 64, I likely won't live long enough to read them all but that won't stop me from downloading them. :-)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) David wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm off to Costco tomorrow to see if they have the new Ken Follett book, Winter of the World. I was all prepared to download it but decided for $19.99, I'd rather buy the hardcover s..."

David - what about the library. To be honest I would have reserved this book but since I bought Fall of Giants in HC, I wanted the second book this way as well.

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) OK - I never did get to Costco yesterday since it was teeming and there was a weather alert. I spent some time looking over online book sites for the new Ken Follett book. I began with Amazon where the price was $21 + shipping. And as was mentioned before $20 for the e reader. At a Barnes & Noble store the book was full price at $36. At the Strand Bookstore in Manhattan they wanted $32.50 + shipping for the title. I then went to abebooks.com and found the book for $16 plus shipping - a total of $20. I ordered it through this website which I've used before and was always satisfied. Now, I only hope there are words on the pages. LOL.

message 1441: by David (new)

David | 16 comments Nancy wrote: "I'm off to Costco tomorrow to see if they have the new Ken Follett book, Winter of the World. I was all prepared to download it but decided for $19.99, I'd rather buy the hardcover since I bought ..."

There is a growing consumer revolt at B&N concerning the cost of ebooks. Readers, including yours truly, are refusing to pay 20 bucks for a digital file that uses no natural resources to publish. For as much as I would love to read Winter of the World, I will either wait until the price drops to a more reasonable level or forgo the pleasure altogether.

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) Dem wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm off to Costco tomorrow to see if they have the new Ken Follett book, Winter of the World. I was all prepared to download it but decided for $19.99, I'd rather buy the hardcover s..."

Interesting that it was available last week whereas here in the States it is first available tomorrow. I will certainly let you know the price at Costco. Although they have a very limited selection, Costco's prices are usually the least exenpensive.

message 1439: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 135 comments Kate wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I haven't bought any books for quite a while as I was attempting to read only what's already on my book shelf or obtain books from the library. It's been hard to have such will power!..."

I'm sure I'll love it. It's exactly the type of book that I enjoy reading. :)

message 1438: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 598 comments Maggie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I haven't bought any books for quite a while as I was attempting to read only what's already on my book shelf or obtain books from the library. It's been hard to have such will power!..."

Just reread To Say Nothing of the Dog. I still love it. I think this is round no. 4. Have fun with it!

I have read many of your other titles, too. I would say only, "Worthy splurging!"

message 1437: by Allie (new)

Allie Lisa wrote: "I haven't bought any books for quite a while as I was attempting to read only what's already on my book shelf or obtain books from the library. It's been hard to have such will power! I've accomp..."

My library doesnt carry much Sharon Kay Penman either. What are they thinking?! So I might have to follow your lead and just break down and buy them as well.

message 1436: by Allie (new)

Allie Maggie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I haven't bought any books for quite a while as I was attempting to read only what's already on my book shelf or obtain books from the library. It's been hard to have such will power!..."

I too bought those 3 P. Gregory novels. Happy reading!

message 1435: by Dem (new)

Dem | 238 comments Nancy wrote: "I'm off to Costco tomorrow to see if they have the new Ken Follett book, Winter of the World. I was all prepared to download it but decided for $19.99, I'd rather buy the hardcover since I bought ..."

I went to my local bookshop to pick it up last week Nancy and it was 28.99 Euro(Way too much for a book no mater how big it is), so ordered it on bookdepository at 16.99 Euro(Hardcover). Will be interested to see how much you buy it for in Costco Nancy.

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) I'm off to Costco tomorrow to see if they have the new Ken Follett book, Winter of the World. I was all prepared to download it but decided for $19.99, I'd rather buy the hardcover since I bought the first book, Fall of Giants.

message 1433: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 626 comments Lisa wrote: "I haven't bought any books for quite a while as I was attempting to read only what's already on my book shelf or obtain books from the library. It's been hard to have such will power! I've accomp..."

Hope you enjoy Eagle and the Raven! It's a bit slow to start, but so worth it.

Maggie | 73 comments Lisa wrote: "I haven't bought any books for quite a while as I was attempting to read only what's already on my book shelf or obtain books from the library. It's been hard to have such will power!..."

I've also been trying to read up all the books I have on my shelves at home but sometimes you just have to splurge. My splurges are not usually this splurgey. Luckily for me it was at the book exchange so it wasnt too expensive. A wild mix:
Pharaoh
Killing Floor
Venetia
The Boleyn Inheritance
The Constant Princess
The Queen's Fool
The Kite Runner
Escape
A Vision of Light
Innocent Traitor
To Say Nothing of the Dog
We Need to Talk About Kevin

Maggie | 73 comments Ellie wrote: "Yesterday's Book Buys:

The Last Girl by Jane Casey
One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf
These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf
The Deep End Of The Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard
Like Dandelion Dus..."

The Little Stranger is a great read, as are most if not all Sarah Waters books. Hope you enjoy.

And I've just added a few Heather Gudenkauf books to my TBR list. Havent read any of hers before.

message 1430: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 135 comments I haven't bought any books for quite a while as I was attempting to read only what's already on my book shelf or obtain books from the library. It's been hard to have such will power! I've accompanied my daughters to the book store a few times and collected books as I went shelf to shelf, then put them all back. I told my girls that it felt good just to pick them up and carry them around for a while. ;)

However, after reading Here be Dragons, I decided that I have to read the next two books in the trilogy. They aren't offered at my library, so I finally have my excuse to breakdown and buy some new books. Of course I couldn't just buy those two books... ;)

I bought The Eagle and the Raven because Kate Quinn says that even a 7.0 earthquake won't distract from the story. ;)

I also acquired Under the Same Sky because a new Historical Fictionistas member, Genevieve Graham, wrote it and it sounds good.

And last but not least, I had to purchase Falls the Shadow and The Reckoning by Sharon Kay Penman. I can't wait to read my new books!

message 1429: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 192 comments Recently one of my local bookshops was having a 3 for €5 sale so I brought the following:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Night Road by Kristin Hannah
The Naming of Eliza Quinn by Carol Birch
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Tara Road by Maeve Binchy
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer Night Road by Kristin Hannah The Naming of Eliza Quinn by Carol Birch The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory Tara Road by Maeve Binchy Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

message 1428: by Dem (new)

Dem | 238 comments Nice lot Ellie! I have The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz by Denis Aveyon my bookshelf and i have never added it so u just reminded me.

message 1427: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 192 comments Yesterday's Book Buys:

The Last Girl by Jane Casey
One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf
These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf
The Deep End Of The Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard
Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury
The Divide by Nicholas Evans
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor
The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz by Denis Avey

~the covers~
The Last Girl by Jane Casey One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf The Deep End Of The Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury The Divide by Nicholas Evans The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz by Denis Avey

Gabriel | 125 comments half price books such a dear friend. I got early from a training and went to half price books. This is what I got Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman, Devil's Brood  (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, #3) by Sharon Kay Penman, Falls the Shadow  (Welsh Princes, #2) by Sharon Kay Penman, London  The Novel by Edward Rutherfurd, Battle Cry of Freedom  The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones

Sarah Louise (Keytan) | 169 comments something amazing happened. My library had a book sale, I didn't know so I showed up right at the end of it. The librarian said the most dangerous words i've ever heard "These are just going to donation after this, so don't worry about paying, just take what you like"...yeah...
I came home with 12 books. I have no idea where to put them all; my bookcases are all full.
But MAN what a lucky trip to the library!

Cheryl A | 623 comments A "virtual" splurge. Just spent an hour on Amazon adding 30 relatively new or forthcoming books to my TBR pile. Not that there's anything wrong with the 30 I have checked out form the library, but still.
The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8) by Louise Penny Garment of Shadows (Mary Russell, #12) by Laurie R. King Not My Blood by Barbara Cleverly Bones Are Forever (Temperance Brennan, #15) by Kathy Reichs The Yard by Alex Grecian Princess Elizabeth's Spy  A Maggie Hope Mystery by Susan Elia MacNeal Murder on Fifth Avenue (Gaslight Mystery #14) by Victoria Thompson The Buzzard Table by Margaret Maron Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose (Darling Dahlias #3) by Susan Wittig Albert Some Like It Hawk (A Meg Langslow Mystery #14) by Donna Andrews A City of Broken Glass  (Hannah Vogel, #4) by Rebecca Cantrell Louise's Gamble by Sarah R. Shaber The Strange Fate of Kitty Easton by Elizabeth Speller Park Lane by Frances Osborne War Brides by Helen Bryan The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons

message 1423: by Valerie (last edited Jul 04, 2012 08:51AM) (new)

Valerie | 598 comments JoLene wrote: "And on my Kindle in the last 2 weeks:
The Queen's Vow: A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile..."

I'm interested to see what people think of The Queen's Vow  A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile by C.W. Gortner ... Sounds like a good story :)

message 1422: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (last edited Jul 03, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1430 comments OK, I'm stressed out which means that I go shopping. At least many of these were on sale, but in the last two days I have bought the following DTB:
In the Bag, The Glassblower of Murano, The King of Lies, The Love Season, True Colors, Parrot and Olivier in America, The Night Strangers, Jasmine Nights, 22 Britannia Road, Zahra's Paradise

And on my Kindle in the last 2 weeks:
The Queen's Vow: A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile, Until the Next Time, War Brides, The Midnight Palace, Satin Cinnabar and a book called The Test which doesn't seem to be on GR yet (Kindle daily deal).

The irony is that I'm so stressed that I haven't been reading much AND I'm stressed because I decided to take an early retirement package which means I soon will not be employeed so I should NOT be shopping :-)

message 1421: by Faith (new)

Faith Justice | 445 comments Sarah (Loudog) Louise wrote: "This month I did however pick up two
which i'm going to take a crack at, we'll see how it goes. To be honest I REALLY hope I fall in love with this because there is a whole series of roman books by the same author."

I really liked Roma: The Novel of Ancient Rome by Steven Saylor. If you like multi-generational sagas, this works. Liked the sequel, but not as much.

Sarah Louise (Keytan) | 169 comments AH-HAA! I have been SO good about avoiding the splurge! Thanks to my trusty library, and my son for not giving me the time of day to go book shopping.
This month I did however pick up two
Roma  The Novel of Ancient Rome (Roma #1) by Steven Saylor which i'm going to take a crack at, we'll see how it goes. To be honest I REALLY hope I fall in love with this because there is a whole series of roman books by the same author.
I also got Pretty Dead by Francesca Lia Block I haven't read a Block book in SO long, it was kinda nice to go over her eloquent and imaginative language again. All of her stories are like creepy lullabies. Anway, it's already done...took me 2 hours to read, and that was while 'moming'. Good all the same.

Valerie | 598 comments It wasn't all at one time! ;) LOL I WISH I could've done it all at once.... but then again... I might have brought the whole store home if I did! LOL

message 1418: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 254 comments Valerie wrote: "I've splurged on an eclectix mix recently:

Advent by James Treadwell A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz Wicked Appetite (Lizzy & Diesel, #1) by Janet Evanovich The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde [bookcover:..."

Oh, to be able to splurge like that!!!

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) I've downloaded books like crazy last month and in addition to free kindle books, I also managed to spend over $200 worth of books for my I PAD.

message 1416: by Valerie (last edited Jul 01, 2012 10:06PM) (new)

message 1415: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2763 comments Audible.com is having a BOGO sale...today is the last day.

I ended up with:
The Kitchen House- after seeing buzz about it here
Rebecca
Monster Hunter International
Hounded

message 1414: by Bryn (last edited Jun 29, 2012 02:58PM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (BrynHammond) | 408 comments The day after I swore not to splurge, I ordered:

two of William T. Vollman's projected seven novels on the clash of Native Americans and Europeans - one at least at bargain price right now
Fathers and Crows by William T. VollmannFathers and Crows
Argall by William T. VollmannArgall

a childhood in Mongolia
The Blue Sky by Galsan TschinagThe Blue Sky

and a history I can't resist - northern women who led troops and ran politics, case studies
Women of the Conquest Dynasties  Gender and Identity in Liao and Jin China by Linda Cooke JohnsonWomen of the Conquest Dynasties: Gender and Identity in Liao and Jin China

now I swear no more

message 1413: by Alana (new)

Alana White (httpwwwgoodreadscomalanawhite) | 76 comments I "splurged" on "Bring up the Bodies." Wow, what an utterly wonderful book. Bring Up the Bodies

message 1412: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 192 comments Just got this in the post today:

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig

I've been wanting to read this book forever and it taken me ages to find a copy of it.

message 1411: by Bryn (last edited Jun 02, 2012 05:02PM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (BrynHammond) | 408 comments By my standards not a splurge. But I am so excited to discover these just today, and to have them in the mail right away.

John Cowper Powys Porius. An amazing novelist, as I know from A Glastonbury Romance, mostly; he thought this his masterpiece; it's 700 pages, set over eight days in 499AD - with Arthur and Merlin; a bursting-at-the-seams book that has 'a psychology to match Dostoyevsky'. It must be my dream book.

Less excited about Gore Vidal Creation - but only because the Cowper Powys outshines him this morning.

Kristin Gleeson | 85 comments Ellie wrote: "I brought this a few days ago. It just arrived in the post today.

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney"

I really enjoyed that. I found it gave a great sense of place-- Canadian wilderness in winter.

I really splurged (for me). I bought Song of Achilles and Gallows Curse.

The Song of Achilles
The Gallows Curse

message 1409: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 192 comments I brought this a few days ago. It just arrived in the post today.

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney

message 1408: by Faith (new)

Faith Justice | 445 comments Ellie wrote: "New books I just got on my Kindle today: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith"

I was at the movies yesterday and they had a trailer for the movie version of this...I laughed out loud at Honest Abe and his ax twirling and slashing in that impossible super hero way. The guy across the way moaned and muttered, "Why, why, why?"

Be interested in hearing how the book holds up!

My birthday yesterday and didn't get a single book...a new low! Went on line and bought my own:

Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick,
The Stolen Crown: The Secret Marriage that Forever Changed the Fate of England by Susan Higginbotham
Gift by Andrea J. Buchanan.

Kristin Gleeson | 85 comments Wow- you really scored well there. Nothing like a library book sale.

message 1405: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2763 comments Kristin wrote: "I'm in awe of Ellie who can go through all those books and keep going back for more. I get vouchers and like some of the others I take ages deciding, we're talking weeks here."

Same here! First, I find out if I can get it through the library then I consider how bad I want to read it and if I really want to own it. Only then will I purchase. It's silly how much I agonize over it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 29 30