We're the Kids of America discussion

Hot Topics > why people are christian

Comments (showing 1-50 of 410) (410 new)    post a comment »

Liz (lizgore) | 498 comments how about here?

Liz (lizgore) | 498 comments What do you mean by you feel god? and when and where does it usually happen.

(i am atheist but right now i don't want to debate how it is illogical etc. i just want to learn more)

i used to be catholic, and i prayed the rosary every night and read the bible front to back

-i reread it as an atheist

yet i never felt him

Jayda The reason depends on the person and their experiences.

Liz (lizgore) | 498 comments jayda maybe you could answer the question, too?

Jayda "-i reread it as an atheist

yet i never felt him"

Were you trying to prove to yourself that the Bible wasn't good?

I mean, you have to be willing to accept it as truth. You can't go into it, saying that it's a bunch of crap, or that it most likely isn't true, and except to feel the Holy Spirit confirming that it's true :)

"What do you mean by you feel god? and when and where does it usually happen."

Probably meaning the presence of the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost. When I feel the Spirit my heart starts to pound, like adrenaline is taking over or something, and I just feel fantastic, and sometimes/a lot of the time I cry.

I can feel the Spirit whenever, as long as I'm in a place and doing things that wouldn't drive it away. I feel it most at church and doing spiritual things. The most recently I felt it was last Sunday during a lesson. The strongest I felt it recently was that Young Women's Camp when we were bearing our testimonies.

I can feel it when I'm studying the scriptures, when I'm praying, when I'm doing something spiritual. I can feel it when I do something good for someone else. It all depends and can very much vary in when and where I experience the feelings.

Liz (lizgore) | 498 comments ok.

what do you think/feel when people denounce your faith,.

Jayda "what do you think/feel when people denounce your faith,."

It depends on how they do it. With certain people it can rather tick me off, especially if they aren't even willing to listen to the facts from an active member of the church. I find it funny how some people will believe blatant lies that they read online about my religion, but when I tell them the truth they don't believe me, even though I am a currently very active member and know all about my religion.

Other times I just kind of brush it off because their allegations are so ridiculous. There's nothing you can honestly do about what people think about your religion, unless they're willing to have a change of heart. How can one live a happy life if every time someone says that the way you live is evil, or stupid? If I did that I wouldn't be living at all. Brushing it off is the best way to go.

Liz (lizgore) | 498 comments it was a gradual thing. i stopped going to church about two years ago, but i still believed. i prayed the rosary every night, and read the bible. but then logical starting to collide, and i became an atheist.

i think the thing that finally made me change 100% was evilbible.com (sorry the title is pretty strongly worded)

Liz (lizgore) | 498 comments urgh so as adjective! (lol)

jayda. what are the most common misconceptions,

Jayda "what are the most common misconceptions"

That we practice polygamy (we do not - FLDS and RLDS are sects that broke off from us because they wanted to practice polygamy - we are no associated with them).

The women are mistreated (we are not... I'm a woman in the church - I'm not mistreated, nor is my mom. If a woman is mistreated, it's due to her husband, not due to the church).

That we aren't Christians (this one really urks me... We're The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints. Sounds like we believe in Christ, and we follow his teachings. That would make us Christian).

That we worship three separate gods (we believe in the Trinity, and that they are all separate beings, but that they are one in purpose).

If you wanted I could give you more :)
There are plenty, sadly.

Liz (lizgore) | 498 comments sure! when i debate if i actually had all the facts it would be easier for both parties :)

and i understand the trinity i think (father son holy spirit?) -i was catholic for fourteen years :)-

yep all the things you listed make sense

Jayda Alright, I'll have to think some more up since right now I'm brain dead from lack of sleep x.x Darned insomnia xD

Liz (lizgore) | 498 comments ok. :)

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments People are Christian because they don't know any better.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments A person is Christian because that is the religion that they feel is closest to their beliefs. Just like Muslims are Muslim because they feel that that is the religion closest to their beliefs. And just like atheists are atheists because that best fits their beliefs.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments Not true. I could prove you wrong, but you won't listen, so I won't bother.

Marcy | 124 comments I will listen to your arguement, Davis. Please outline it for me.

I am a Christian because I know it's true. I've experienced it. I have also come to the conclusion that without God, some things are unexplainable (Miracles--I've seen some; how life began--I have heard creationist speakers and read creationist books and they explain it; my science lessons don't; etc.).

If you want me to go into more detail about any of that stuff, ask me.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments You are a Christian because you were born into a Christian family, and from a very young age, you were indoctrinated. Pyschologically, you began to only conceive God in the Christian image; you never learned any other way. By the team you could think and reason, you were forever unalterable in beliefs in God. You will always either be an Atheist or a Christian, because of the way you were raised to conceive God and religion.

Liz (lizgore) | 498 comments this topic was actually suppose to be nice questions for christian people.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments Davis, why do you think people are Christian? I'll listen.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "Davis, why do you think people are Christian? I'll listen. "

I just said.

Marcy | 124 comments Davis--

Then, why did my parents fall away from the church after they grew up Christians? And why did they come back?

Marcy | 124 comments One more question, Davis:

There is a man at my church who his parents aren't Christians. Still, he became a Christian. Why?

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments "Then, why did my parents fall away from the church after they grew up Christians?"

They got tired of it, just like normal people do after a period of time. They stopped thinking about religion entirely. It left their life.

"And why did they come back?"

I would say a mix of social pressure to conform, and pyschosomatic guilt.

"There is a man at my church who his parents aren't Christians. Still, he became a Christian. Why?"

Pressure to conform, wanting desperately to belong to a community.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments I must've come to the page before you posted that.

Sorry. :)

It's true that I was born into a Christian family, but several of my ideas about God and my religion are different from my parents'.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments "It's true that I was born into a Christian family, but several of my ideas about God and my religion are different from my parents'"

Normal teenage idealism and rebelliousness, rest assured, you will get closer to your parents in belief as time goes on.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments I'll let you know in 5 or 10 years. ;)

Is it really that impossible for me to have different religious ideas than my parents?

According to your idea, how would children who were born into an atheistic family think?

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments Not impossible in the slightest, just unlikely.

Normally, atheists are alot better at promoting free-thinking, so atheist children believe whatever the hell they want. I was essentially the child of agnostics and I have drifted towards Buddhism.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments Davis wrote: "I was essentially the child of agnostics and I have drifted towards Buddhism."

That sounds just like one of my friends from Girl Scouts.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments Poor lost soul eh? You should save her from the Devil.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments I don't like trying to make others think the same way I do. I think that different belief systems work better for different people. What works for me won't necessarily work for her.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments What works for you, harms everyone. But whatever.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments How does what works for me harm everyone?

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "How does what works for me harm everyone?"

Gay marriage. Need I say more?

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments I think that gay marriage should be legal, personally.

Although, I don't think that it's the biggest issue in the world. It seems like all everyone is fighting over is who gets to use the word "marriage". Does it really matter so much what the government calls it? If you think it's marriage, call it marriage. If you think it isn't marriage, don't call it marriage.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments Then it comes to the Big Bang and Evolution, etc.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments I go with the "God guided evolution" theory on that. But even if I didn't, how would not believing in evolution or the Big Bang be harmful to everyone?

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments Halts progress.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments I suppose you could say that if I insisted that everyone agree with me on the topic, which is not how I am, as I said above.

But I do believe in it, so then how else does what works for me harm everyone else?

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments Your the right type of Christian, honestly. Faith in God, without enforcing it others.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments Thank you. :)

So then how else does what works for me harm everyone else?

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments It really doesn't, honestly. Like I said, your the right kind of Christian.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 234 comments Ok, thank you. :D

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, before I leave for good, I just want to point out that the Big Bang Theory was thought up by a Catholic priest. Look it up. And evolution has some holes in it that make so that the Church can't accept, but neither have I ever heard of an active movement in the Church against it (and my mum runs those Catholic talk shows - or use to anyway - a lot). We don't accept either theory as law because, well, they are theories not scientific laws.

Also look up history; most middle age scientists were Christians who became scientists because they were interested in how He made the world work. Catholic (and most other Christians, but I can't say all) mentality fosters a urge to study science in those who would like to. Personally I've only been mildly facinated with science, but that's just me. There are pleanty of Christian scientist that would love to progress in our understanding of Creation.

My family became Catholic four years ago and by then I was smart enough to realize that most of my ideas came from my parents and that I'd have to look at this new Church with my own eyes.

Then I walked through the doors and fell in love. Logic and reason came later, at first I was caught up in the dream of it. Then I found certain logical reasons to the Church over Protestants, the God of the Jews and Christians over other gods, monotheism over polytheism, and finally theism over atheism. I worked my way backwards.

I don't force my religion on people. For those who ask I'll explain it and I try to set a good example for our Church, plus I pray that the Holy Spirit will guide people.

Also if you really want to say that Protestantism makes more sense than Catholicism then you would be in for a verbal throw down.

Mostly just get the message out there and let everyone decide for themselves. That much is a requirement of being Catholic.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, now I am leaving ... good-bye y'all, again.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments Catholicism is just as stupid as the rest of it dude.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Crazy, maybe, but not stupid. If you call all religion stupid then you have not studied religion. Religion is deep seeded in philosophy (and vice versa), philosophy being the art of thinking. Buhdism was entirely based off of philosophy that grew into a religion. For the apostles it was the other way around; they had faith in Christ whom they had met and reasoned out their beliefs afterwards. But there is a lot of thought into religion, it is just mixed with faith so that it appears a little crazy.

And it is crazy. We believe that an all-powerful God that is everything and needs nothing created a world that is infinitely less than Him, but still real. Then He created living creatures, being that procreate through a self-supporting system. And He created the angels, which would have been absurd if there were other intelligent beings at the time. Other souls than the One soul, the Word. As Peter Kreeft put it, "How can there be more than one I Am?" Then He created the ultimate oxymoron, but creating living animals that procreate and have souls. He also gives these living paradoxes free will, the choice to choose between Him and Satan. "How could God act so dangerously?" This choice is real and our parents make the wrong choice. Then it gets even crazier; God loves these oxymorons so much that He sends Himself, the Son of the Trinity, to die on a cross to remove the burden of our sin if we only let him. This Son then rises from the dead permenantly and rejoins His Father, promising to return at then end of days.

So yes, it is crazy. But it isn't stupid. People believe things more by experiance than reason, and experiance can often be a better indicator to truth than reason. It is crazy, but that does not automatically suppose that it is untrue.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments I studied religion for two years. I don't call all religion stupid, just yours' and Mormonism.

Marcy | 124 comments Davis, I am wondering, why do you find Catholicism (I don't know if you me all of Christianity or just Catholicism) stupid? Please answer.

Davis (DavisMattek) | 1197 comments It's all based on illogical principles, with no basis in fact, and billions of people believe it. You are willing to believe things with no proof.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Princess of Landover (other topics)