Medieval Romance Adventure discussion

We want to meet you!

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Vosika (Laura924) | 3 comments Hi. I'm Laura Vosika. I'm the author of the Blue Bells Trilogy, the story of two men who fall asleep at the top of a Scottish castle tower and wake up in the wrong centuries, caught in each other's lives.

I also like Dorothy Dunnett. Other favorites are Nigel Tranter and Phillipa Gregory.

I spent 12 years in the Seattle area, but currently live in Minneapolis with my family. I have spent the last twenty years teaching music lessons and five of those years directing a school band.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Styles | 2 comments Hello, I'm Michelle Styles. I write for Harlequin Historical and have written in a number of eras including the early Viking period. My latest Viking The VIking's Captive Princess is officially published in December...My medievals tend to have romance and adventure.

So medieval authors that I like -- Michelle Willingham and Carol Townend both of whom write for HH. I enjoy Barbara Erskine's time slips,Elizabeth Chadwick as well as Philippa Gregory and Dorothy Dunnet plus a long time ago Philippa Carr. A good medieval romance with a spalsh of adventure is a great to escape and done right can really open up a time period and make it accessible.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Vosika (Laura924) | 3 comments Michelle, I've never heard of Barbara Erskine's time slips-- sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks!

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Oct 19, 2009 09:04AM) (new)

Michelle Styles | 2 comments Oh Erskine's Lady of Hay and Kingdom of Shadows are great. Kingdom of Shadow is medieval Scotland with a time slip into present day. They are about 20-25 years old but excellent. She has done some newer stuff as well...but they do tend to be time slip.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Erskine is fun, just don't read too many too close together or you'll get burn out. Child of the Phoenix was my favorite, although if you've read Penman's Here be Dragons you really need to suspend disbelief and remember it's fiction or you'll hate it.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Vosika (Laura924) | 3 comments As mine is also set in both medieval and modern Scotland, it sounds like I definitely need to find Kingdom of Shadow. I bet I'll love it.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) Hi Im sandi from ont canada..my favorite authors..Barbara erskine ( have all) but LOVED her time slips..but agree with Misfit..too much & you put it down..as all her books pretty much have the same "plot line" Sharon Kay penman all her books are great!Elizabeth Chadwick have hers & have her next two on my amazon order! would love to read dorothy dunnett books..its hard to find them all...I just read The ConquerorbyGeorgette Heyer was pretty good..Im going to check out Laura's books & I did read Michelles book A+ there! Well..& hi to Misfit! good to see you here :)

message 8: by Sophia (new)

Sophia  (SophiaRose) Hello I am Sundee from Michigan. I have read mostly out of print medieval authors- Mary Stewart, Isolde Martyn, etc and Georgette Heyer's medieval books. Most of my interest has been in medieval mystery series so this is a new interest for me. I will have to check out some of the authors earlier posts have suggested.

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise Deleon | 1 comments I am Denise from Iowa. I love historical romance especially from Scotland! I need more lend me friends for the Nook. dendeleon@gmail.com

message 10: by BlackTulip (last edited Aug 02, 2012 03:32PM) (new)

BlackTulip | 46 comments Hello, I'm BlackTulip and I live in Canada. I love historical romance in general but the Medieval era is one of my favorite. My last Medieval readings were "The Dark Lord" from Kathryn Le Veque, "A Slip in Time" from Kathleen Kirkwood (Time Travel where Victorian & Medieval era are combined), "Lespada" from Kathryn Le Veque and "Dark Deceit" from Cathie Dunn. All four are fabulous books.

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Kirkwood | 19 comments Hello, I'm Kathleen Kirkwood and live in Arizona. I love historicals overall but Medievals are especially dear to my heart. I've published six historical romances and most all have Medieval settings -12th c England, 15th c Scotland, and under a separate name, a 10th c trilogy with Vikings and various locations. After an unexpected break from writing that turned into a decade, I now have my rights back from NY and am reviving, revising and re-releasing my past titles and looking forward to penning some new tales. I'm so thrilled to find a Medieval discussion group!
Among my favorite authors of Medievals are Anya Seton, Mary Lide, Rosemary Hawley Jarman, James Goldman, Morgan Llyweln, Sharon Kay Penman and, of course, the wonderful Elizabeth Chadwick.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi! My name is Kathryn Le Veque and I write Medieval Historical novels. Like, 26 of them and counting... yes, I know that's a lot, but I've been writing for the past 25 years, so I've got a lot of material in my arsenal.

I'm so excited to see so many Medieval Romance lovers because that's how I started - as a lover of Medieval Romance. I saw a review for one of my books where the reader said I put the "historical" in "historical romance". What a huge compliment, because she's right - I put my people (I don't call them characters because the ARE people) in the middle of history to watch situations and lives play out. So interesting and so fun to watch.

Bertrice Small and Virginia Henley are my two inspirations in this genre. Love, love Virginia Henley. Her novel "The Falcon and The Flower" got me excited about these people and how they lived and loved. My specialty? Angevin and Plantagenet England, bordering on the Tudor reign. I have a few books that involve 'The Tudor'. Such a vivid, interesting time in history.

I'm loving this discussion!! So nice to hear from everyone!

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan Scarbrough (Jan_Scarbrough) | 4 comments I'm Jan Scarbrough from Louisville, KY. I read Anya Seton in high school and fell in love with medieval England. I also read Thomas B. Costain, and of course Georgette Heyer. I currently have written one medieval romance called My Lord Raven. You can find it on Kindle and Nook. The paperback is expensive. I have a sequel plotted but have not started it. As Darby York I write sensual medieval short stories.

Today I enjoy Phillipa Gregory and Darby writes like Phillipa in first person, present tense. I have recently discovered the books of Anne O'Brien. She has single title and Harlequin Historicals.

message 14: by BlackTulip (last edited Aug 05, 2012 08:30AM) (new)

BlackTulip | 46 comments Denise wrote: "I am Denise from Iowa. I love historical romance especially from Scotland! I need more lend me friends for the Nook. dendeleon@gmail.com"

Hi Denise, I can recommend two authors who write Scottish romance :
Claire Robyns, The Devil of Jedburgh and Betrayed and Deborah MacGillivray and the Dragons of Challon Series : 1-A Restless Knight, 2-In Her Bed and 3-One Snowy Knight, the 4th one, Redemption, should be released this month ... all wonderful books :)

message 15: by KC (last edited Aug 05, 2012 11:03AM) (new)

KC (LoveEE) | 2 comments Hi all,

I'm Kasey from Florida and I'm a historical romance junkie (Medieval period stories are my favorite). I'm a huge fan of stories which take me on a bit of a roller coaster ride emotionally and after about a year-long reading hiatus (due mostly to disappointing reading material - non historicals, really), I once again found my groove with Kathryn Le Veque's books.

Anyway, it's so nice to be part of a group where (from what I see) several authors whose stories I've enjoyed (or are on my Up-Next Reads) are on here as well. :-)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Love Scottish romances! I haven't written one yet, though - there are so many good ones out there. I've got a couple of Irish Medievals in the works, which I'm very excited about. Not sure of the release dates because I'm still working on them, but I really love the Celtic theme.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Conqueror (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Georgette Heyer (other topics)