The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Medieval Fiction

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Josie (maid_marian) I'm looking for some good, historically accurate fiction set in Britain in around the 1300s - you know, a book that you read and really enjoy and then realise that you've learnt a whole load about how people lived back then...
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

Ralph (sunwriter) | 64 comments It's not exactly "historically accurate" but I liked The Mists of Avalon when I read it a couple years ago.

Hayes (Hayes13) A little later than the date you mentioned is An Instance of the Fingerpost A Novel, set in the 1600s.

From wikipedia: A murder in 17th-century Oxford is related from the contradictory points of view of four of the characters, all of them unreliable narrators. The setting of the novel is 1663, just after the restoration of the monarchy following the English Civil War, when the authority of King Charles II is not yet settled, and conspiracies abound.

Wen (thespoilingone) | 19 comments Well you are looking at just before/around the time (1400s) of the War of the Roses so there are many books for that time.
Some easy reads would be one written by Jean Plaidy. Her books are older but many have recently been reprinted and there are more set to be done in the near future. They are historical fictions and she has a whole big series of books on Europe/mainly England from Eleanor Aquitaine time of the mid 1100s to even up through the French revolution. A large number are around the Tudor time period which officially started as the War of the Roses was coming to an end.
They are not 100 % correct since written quite a ways back but easy reads and I have enjoyed all I have read so far.
I will put a couple links down but the time periods will vary.

The Courts of Love The Story of Eleanor of Aquitaine
The Plantagenet Prelude
The Revolt of the Eaglets

Josie (maid_marian) Thanks for all the suggestions - Morality Play looks especially promising, and I'll check out Jean Plaidy too...

message 6: by Diane D. (last edited Aug 10, 2009 05:37PM) (new)

Diane D. You may want to check out The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett too.

JG (The Introverted Reader) If you like mysteries, Mistress of the Art of Death is the first in a series set in the late 1100s. I can't say if it's historically accurate, but it's a really good read!

Rachael (rprensner) "Catherine Called Birdy" and "THe Midwife's Apprentice" by Karen Cushman. Both very realistic and engaging stories too.

Gareth | 1 comments Can I get some book ideas of "the big picture" Medieval armies battling. Personal characters are fine but I want big battles, eerie creepy armies coming right at you. I'm sort of enjoying Cornwell's Agincourt but too much is about just one archer. It's fading fast. I know there's good stuff out there. Please help me! Thank you.

Kwing (Mook) Bernard cornwell has 2 good series one about England during the reign of King Alfred. He has an interesting take on the Danish vs English attitudes. I enjoyed it very much.
The second series is the Grail Quest which follows a young english archer through europe about the time of Henry V. I preferred the King Alfred series but this was also good.
Enjoy!

Kwing (Mook) The Saxon Chroicles is the Kinf Alfred series.

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) A good modern prose (not poetry) translation of Chaucer would be the most accurate. People who haven't read Chaucer think it must be very hard-going (and it is if you are trying to translate word for word yourself) but in fact Chaucer is very amusing, quite bawdy and writes in the time of the time. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60...

Then there is T.H. Knight's The Once and Future King, the Arthurian legend.

James Loftus I hope you don't mind, but my novel Celtic Blood is set in 13th century Scotland. Heavily inspired by MacBeth, a tale of witchcraft, murder and survival amidst the forest-green. I am an Australian author from Brisbane and my novel is well researched.

Jennifer | 170 comments Diane D. wrote: "You may want to check out The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett too."

Pillars of the Earth and its sequel are great! I also highly recommend. You should also try Oliver Potzsch's The Hangman's Daughter and its sequel The Dark Monk.

Ben It never says what year it takes place but the the wardstone chronicles are set in Britain and seem to be around that time. They are under the historical novel genre too. The last book is set to come out next year. :)

message 16: by Bryn (last edited Sep 23, 2012 03:00PM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (BrynHammond) | 38 comments I just read Edith Pargeter's A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury, that's set in England and Wales 1399-1413, and I thought it fantastic. Quality, I'd say, and accuracy.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mists of Avalon (other topics)
An Instance of the Fingerpost (other topics)
The Courts of Love (other topics)
The Revolt of the Eaglets (other topics)
The Plantagenet Prelude (other topics)
More...