Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Movie Database like goodreads?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 99) (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 51 comments I hope this is the right place to pose this question. But does anyone know of a site (like goodreads) that can be used to track movies the way books are tracked here? If not - Otis - perhaps an idea for expansion and/or new site for you??? :) I love the way goodreads works for tracking the books I've read/own/want to read, etc... Would love to be able to do the same with my movies.

message 2: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 508 comments Otis has said he plans on keeping his focus on books, but hopefully someone could design something for movies! I've gone searching for movie sites myself, and the closest thing I've found that works like GR is IMDB. My only complaint, and the reason I abandoned it pretty quickly, is that there's nothing on each movie's page that tells you if you already have it added to your lists. Furthermore, if you add something to your list that you already have, it just adds it a 2nd time rather than blocking it or warning you that it's already there.

I've found other sites that try to do this that are just lacking for one reason or another.

message 3: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 51 comments Thanks Brooke!

I think I just found another discussion thread about this: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... (should have done a search first before I asked).

So, if anyone every approaches goodreads to use their model for a goodmovies site - I'd love to hear about it :)!

message 4: by Bluedaizy (last edited Aug 07, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

Bluedaizy | 44 comments I lacklusterly use FilmCrave.com. I'd probably use it more frequently if I could "download" a list of my movies instead of choosing them one by one. It's the best I've found though. I think Flixter is more geared to juveniles but I could be wrong...

message 5: by Dapplenose (new)

Dapplenose | 147 comments Kerry wrote: "I hope this is the right place to pose this question. But does anyone know of a site (like goodreads) that can be used to track movies the way books are tracked here? If not - Otis - perhaps an ide..."

that sounds like it would be cool

message 6: by Nusra (new)

Nusra | 8 comments Kerry wrote: "Thanks Brooke!

I think I just found another discussion thread about this: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... (should have done a search first before I aske..."

Steve wrote: "Please consider starting a similar site for films! I have only been able to find one site that fills that need, and it is terrible (I canceled my account after one day). You folks already have the ..."

Hi Kerry and all others.
I read this discussion on July 28, 2010 and decided to give it a shot. I hope I can meet your expectations. Please give it a sincere try and let me know if there is anything missing. We're willing to add many features as we go.
so the gr for movies =) (it's actually more than that) launches on 10.10.10 and it's called Scribbler. Check it out: http://scribbler.me
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MyScribbler

Please provide feedback on twitter. Thanks!

message 7: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (Adriannas) | 79 comments Good question everyone. I might check out scribbler or filmcrave.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 1 comments I just joined Flixster which seems a lot like GoodReads. I haven't worked with it much, but it seems like a place to start.

message 9: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (Adriannas) | 79 comments There's another great movie review site that I use: www.lunch.com You join any movie community you like. My favorite is Movie Hype. The unique thing about that site is that you can review anything there. Pretty fun! I also have a reading review community: community.cafelibri.com

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Zieg (mzieg) | 5 comments +1 for launching goodflicks.com (or whatever) using a mod of the existing codebase. I realize there are some hardcoded references to ISBN, etc which would need normalized to a generic global ID [*cough*asin*cough], but the existing GoodReads UI is so excellent that it would be awesome if you could expand to other productlines as well (movies, music, etc).

message 11: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4172 comments Mod
Flixster/Rottentomatoes is what I usually refer people to when they ask this. Not sure how many people want to catalog movies the way they do books though?

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 947 comments I refuse to use a movie DB which doesn't let me export my ratings, which pretty much eliminates all of them.

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna (deety) | 959 comments I've tried at least seven or eight different sites, and they're all either lacking the features I want or eye-bleedingly ugly. I'd absolutely track my movies if there was a decent site for it.

message 14: by Fadhilah Fitri (last edited Jun 01, 2011 10:35PM) (new)

Fadhilah Fitri  (fadhilahfitri) | 149 comments @Otis Chandler well there's people who love books, there are people who are crazy over movies...and there are people who love both :)

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant | 412 comments and there are people who love books AND movies AND music too, which makes life quite exhausting at times.

Fadhilah Fitri  (fadhilahfitri) | 149 comments Not really :)
It makes life much fun cause when you run out of one of them you can go to another one. I love all those three (though I'm not too fanatic with movies cuz of my father's rules) and I find it quite cheery when I don't have any new books to read. I just go on the web and look for new songs.

But why are we fussing over this anyway? :D

message 17: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 220 comments Otis wrote: "Flixster/Rottentomatoes is what I usually refer people to when they ask this. Not sure how many people want to catalog movies the way they do books though?"

hehe...I've become so addicted to Goodreads, and the whole way of life of cataloging-rating-reviewing-looking at friends' reviews-etc. that have become a habit, that I mentally do it with movies, too. If I watch a movie I've never seen, I think "Oh, I need to mark this as watched/read," or I'll think about adding one to my to-read list. Then I have to remind myself, "No, that's Goodreads, not movies. Dummy." :)

(Good job, Otis & crew, making the site so addictive it's completely changed the way I live and view the world!)

message 18: by Vis (new)

Vis (V2Blast) | 9 comments For those who don't know about it, try out GetGlue. I'm not sure how database-y/catalog-ish it is about it, but it has listings of books, movies, music, celebrities, tv shows, etc. that you can list as "liked" or "disliked" (or "favorite" or "not for me"). So hopefully it'll fit the bill.

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andiereads) Vis wrote: "For those who don't know about it, try out GetGlue. I'm not sure how database-y/catalog-ish it is about it, but it has listings of books, movies, music, celebrities, tv shows, etc. that you can lis..."

Yep! I was just coming in here to suggest GetGlue.com. It's social media for people who enjoy the media! Books, movies, music, TV, celebrities, current events and even sports. Being someone who frequently employs the "Second Screen" (watching TV while tweeting or typing on a laptop), I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it.

message 20: by Ana (last edited Jun 04, 2011 11:28AM) (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments +1 for GoodFlicks. I'd use it, no question.

message 21: by M0rningstar (new)

M0rningstar | 205 comments Question for those who use GetGlue: what makes you use GR for books? It seems like it'd be more convenient to keep track of your media all in one place. Do you find that GR has a better community? More in-depth reviews? Better database? Something else?

The reason why I'm asking is because I just took a look at GetGlue and am very intrigued. It seems very polished and organized, covering everything from books to music. I didn't see a way to rate things though, just to "like" them.

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andiereads) MorningStar, that's it on the nose. The recommendation and rating tools and the extremely social, interactive nature of the community are what I like about GoodReads. On GetGlue, there are no shelves, no "64% done with such and such," no "to watch/listen to" list, no extensive comments, no reviews. It's quick and sleek, and everyone I know who is on GetGlue uses it as a quick way to post content to Facebook, blogs and Twitter. I don't know anyone who uses it as a stand-alone social networking tool.

If there was a GoodWatch or GoodListen or something like that for movies, books and TV, I would become an obsessive user right out of the gate!

message 23: by M0rningstar (new)

M0rningstar | 205 comments Thanks for your insight, Andrea! Looks like GetGlue doesn't go much beyond straight inventorying + posting to other services.

I share your sentiment re: GoodWatch/Listen :-)

message 24: by Rock (new)

Rock Angel (rockangel) Maybe try Getglue:
http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/reco...

I would like a site where ppl can see my lists without having to log in, suggestions?

Also can one of you provide the link to GR? Thanks.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 947 comments I think GetGlue is pretty poor. It's all about style over substance.

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather Smith (hevsbuttons) | 1 comments Try MUBI (www.mubi.com) which is what I use for tracking my films.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I rather like FilmCrave (www.filmcrave.com), but it's more bare bones than Goodreads. They have "lists" that function much like shelves, as well as a social networking aspect. FilmCrave isn't obnoxiously "busy" like Flixster, though it also lacks some of that site's bells and whistles (no quiz, for instance).

message 28: by John (new)

John Perkins (riversofbabylon) | 6 comments hey folks. i'm here to tell you that i've taken the challenge and hope to have an answer to the question we all have of "why is there no site like goodreads for movies?"

about 5-6 months ago, i was messing around here on goodreads and thought to myself, like you all have, why is there nothing like this out there for movies? so i did some preliminary research and googled "goodreads for movies." go do it now, and you'll see how many people actually want it. this inspired me. i continued to do more research into what options existed. i came up with the following list:

icheckmovies.com
fffilm.com
narvoo.com
lunch.com
flixster.com
flickchart.com
filmfresh.com
filmcrave.com
criticker.com
imdb.com
nanocrowd.com
themovietracker.com

NONE OF THESE SATISFIED ME! and being a movie FANATIC, i know exactly what i would do if i built it myself.

so i grabbed a couple of friends of mine (i'm a marketer by trade, one friend is a designer, and one is a back-end developer) and asked, "can we do this?" they said yes, and so we are. the site URL is seenth.at. our slogan is "we see movies." the plan is to blend a very unique user interface with the simple task of cataloging movies you have seen. if you want to rate, review, recommend, add a movie to a must see list, you can do that too. we've also got some other tricks up our sleeve that we're pretty excited about.

the point is, you can go sign up for the private beta (due to launch early fall) by going to seenth.at and entering your email address. you can also follow us on twitter (@seenthatmovie) or like us on facebook.com/seenthat.

i really hope this excites some of you. i've become thoroughly obsessed and can't wait to show you what we have when we launch in a couple of months. hopefully you will be delighted.

message 29: by Tesa (new)

Tesa | 1 comments it would be awesome if theres goodreads for movie.. agree with all of you guys !

message 30: by Nusra (new)

Nusra | 8 comments did you guys try scribbler.me? it's getting better.

message 31: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (Adriannas) | 79 comments Nusra wrote: "did you guys try scribbler.me? it's getting better."

Does scribbler let you review any topic, not just film ones?

message 32: by John (new)

John Perkins (riversofbabylon) | 6 comments for anyone that's interested, we've posted some pre-release pics of seenth.at over on dribbble.com (http://dribbble.com/ShaneHelm/project...). i would be interested to hear any comments or feedback you might have. again, we'll be opening up our private beta sometime this fall. get on the list by signing up at http://seenth.at.

jp

message 33: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 98 comments At one time I had a shelf called "lit-flix" and planned on adding books to that shelf that were also made into one or more movies. I then planned to make comments in my review of the book if I'd seen the movie(s) based on the book. I abandoned that project, but may go back to it later.

Clearly not a database with ratings, though; just a way to keep track of the books made into movies.

message 34: by John (new)

John Perkins (riversofbabylon) | 6 comments Hey folks. Just a quick update that SeenTh.at is coming along. If you're interested in keeping tabs on our progress, we just launched a blog (seenth.at/blog), and anyone is welcome to sign up for our beta launch later in the year at SeenTh.at.

Cheers!

JP

message 35: by T. (new)

T. (andhow) | 5 comments I'm using MUBI (http://mubi.com/), formerly known as The Auteurs (so much back story re: name change, but am glad I stuck it out).

The features that I like there that are similar to Goodreads are the following:

1. It has a very large database of movies. It was initially launched as a partner of the Criterion Collection films, which I am an avid fan of, so off the bat I knew I would be able to find rare and obscure titles. Over the years it has expanded to include a lot of the mainstream movies, so that's great, too. And films all over the world: you bet. It's fantastic.

2. I can rate the movies I've seen. There's an option to add it to my favourites, which will appear in my profile.

3. There are no 'shelves', but you can create lists, in case you are inclined to group the movies you've seen. Some ideas: make a list for musicals, or say, action movies in the 90s, or a list of movies that you own on DVD.
- However, there's no option that indicates when you've seen the movie. I really wanted that, for personal reasons.
- Going off on a tangent here --- before I wanted something where I can catalog the DVDs I have, the same I do here with books, and there's no such thing in MUBI. I almost got this (http://www.collectorz.com/movie/) but I figured I'm not even halfway through listing all of my books so that would probably make me crazy. Maybe in the future.

4. Each movie has its own page. There's a synopsis, and there's a 'wall' where you can put your comments about it. You can also write your own review. More sections you can see on the page: friends' ratings (if they have seen it, too), related articles about the movie (MUBI has its own blog, with really great posts + reviews from Twitchfilm are also linked), lists of other people where this particular movie has been listed, reviews of other members, and a dedicated forum where people can start as many topics as they would like about the movie. A list of related films are also at the bottom, in case you are interested to watch something similar.

5. On the page of the individual movie, you can view the trailer. The following information is also listed: country, year, length, language, as well as the director, producers, scriptwriters, cast, even the music. And you can go to the individual pages of these people and be a 'fan' of them. The directors you've added to your list will appear on your profile as 'Favourite Auteurs'.

6. If you haven't seen the movie yet, you can add it to the 'Wants to Watch' section of your profile.

7. You can also indicate your favourite/preferred film style on your profile (i.e. nouvelle vague, coming-of-age, etc.)

8. You can send messages to friends or other members.

9. As I've said, the Notebook section is really fantastic for anyone who loves film. It has articles on the latest movies, has updates on the current film festival screenings and insightful criticisms.

10. The forums are always interesting. The people, too. Of course there would always be the token heated discussion, especially when some are in their elitist/purist mode, but so far that hasn't prevented me from learning about film in general. This site, after all, started as an extension to the Criterion Collection, which some view as canon for great films (I agree...to some extent, but that's discussion for another time).

11. Did I mention that you can watch movies for free? Yeah. There are some movies made available to watch online from time to time. If you want to watch something that's not free, you can pay $2, I think, for access.

12. There's the Garage section, where filmmakers can upload their own work, too.

13. Lastly, I love the look and feel of the site. Great typography and layout. The name sucks; I loved the old one, but compared to everything else I guess that is a small thing. And the community is really something. I would say that the people here are hardly juvenile, and despite the occasional trolls, the discussions are always enlightening, at least, to me.

If there's any downside to all the features, it's this: whereas a lot of people in GR can be librarians and update the database, in MUBI there are moderators who do that. There's a thread where you can suggest films that you want to see on the database though, so all is not lost.

Over the years I noticed that although I can be pretty anal about cataloging what I read, what I listen to and what I watch, somehow my behavior towards each is a bit different than I have expected. In Goodreads I am more meticulous about how many pages I am into the book am currently reading, quotes I love, etc. With MUBI it fulfills what I want to happen at the moment. I don't know if I want to be more 'social' about the films I watch than what I am already doing now, but I will look into the links suggested by other members here and see for myself what works. (Hey, maybe something for favourite TV shows might be great!)

Anyway, I did not intend this to be long; I guess I just wanted to add some input. And if anyone can direct me to a similar movie database site that does everything above but BETTER, well, please let me know :)

T.

message 36: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 328 comments Debra wrote: "At one time I had a shelf called "lit-flix" and planned on adding books to that shelf that were also made into one or more movies. I then planned to make comments in my review of the book if I'd s..."

Whoops, looks like I'll have to steal that name! Way better than the one I came up with. Thanks! :)

message 37: by Riikka (new)

Riikka (Rakuna) | 72 comments Debra wrote: "Clearly not a database with ratings, though; just a way to keep track of the books made into movies. "

This is going bit of topic, but as you are talking about keeping track of books turned into movies, there is a new website about the same subject. ReadIt1st sends out a regular newsletter about movies that are based on books (or at least I hope it'll be regular as the site is new). I am not completely agreeing with the main pledge on the site, but at least the first newsletter was very interesting.

BTW, is there a list in listopia about books that have movies made out of them?

message 38: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11777 comments Mod
Riikka wrote: "is there a list in listopia about books that have movies made out of them?"

The Book Was Better Than The Movie
The Movie was BETTER than the Book
and quite a few more.

message 39: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (dresswaltz) | 5 comments Just wanted to chime in and add listal.com to the discussion. They actually do movies, books (although I don't touch it), TV shows, video games (what I mostly use it for), music and DVDs. It's still not nearly as good as Goodreads is for books, but I like it so far.

message 40: by Megster (new)

Megster | 11 comments Would def support a sister site to Goodreads for films!! Love GR style and formats and think a lot of other GR members would use it!

message 41: by Thea (new)

Thea | 1 comments I've looked at some of the front runners in the discussion so far and am leaning towards imdb, not the least for the fact that it has an iphone app that lets me search, add movies to my Watchlist, easily create other lists and add movies to multiple lists. I'm less interested in the discussion forums - just because I don't have the time. I'd say my favorite part of goodreads is the simplicity of cataloging what I read and keeping the "to read" list.

message 42: by Scott (new)

Scott (zsori) | 2 comments trakt.tv is by far the best and most popular option for this. It integrates into many media systems so you can automatically update if desired. It even handles TV and links to my site, TheTVDB.com. :)

message 43: by Nick (new)

Nick Sampson (Azreal19) | 1 comments try
http://www.dvdaf.com/
Very similar as far as making an official list of movies owned, watched, to watch etc.

message 44: by Abhishek (new)

Abhishek (cabhishek) | 2 comments Does GR community support the idea of having a similar
Service/website for movies ?

message 45: by An Odd1 (last edited Feb 10, 2012 10:36PM) (new)

An Odd1 (AnOdd1) | 16 comments Checked Mubi, 99c, $1.99+, I'll stick to library where I get all my books and DVDs. That's one reason I wanted all my reviews together. I can post reviews on my library site, but few others do.
I gave my email address on seenth.at, but there was nothing else to see. What's the benefit? I really wish GoodReads would include GoodFilms too. The community is 6*.
I already asked GR months ago. I saw NOTABOOK entries, and posted some there with my own dvd shelf (now moved to my blog). They replied with links to websites where to buy DVDs, not what I asked. Some sites do provide the capability of reviewing. If like the book sites, we have to purchase first.
Also in December, the auto-feed of book reviews from GoodReads stopped working. So now my blog just has DVD reviews. I tried posting (That's How I Am) on rottentomatoes and IMDB. RT did not have complete correct listings or allow me to enter DVDs, and IMDB was too fiddly tedious. I wait till I have a bunch to post all at once. Earthsea 4*, Gnomeo 5*, others are written and coming.
You could add your reviews as comments to mine if you want, or maybe suggest titles? I've been checking out sites to watch TV shows online (list updated on my blog) and "free" movies (signing over confidential info in account does not count as free to me, so no luck yet)
http://www.aneyespy.blogspot.com

message 46: by Abhishek (new)

Abhishek (cabhishek) | 2 comments Will it be a good idea to have a GoodFlicks site that lets user manage their movie queue more effectively? e.g If I have a long movie queue I should be able to query my queue to get data for like "How many french movies did I see in last year? or How many movies by director x? or by actress Y? or How many movies were filmed at Sundance festival ? or sort movies by language? "
Also i should be able to share and discover friends movie queue easily and effectively. I usually have problem managing my queue since it has tons of movies in different languages. do you have the same problem?

Will such queue/service be of any value?
any thoughts on this GR community ?

message 47: by An Odd1 (new)

An Odd1 (AnOdd1) | 16 comments Suggest you use add those tags to your files or within your reviews, then text search on your own computer for reviews or sort tags, if you want to store all that info. GR is reviews and community to share; that's my primary interest.
Nifty stats idea if you're a real buff-pro critic (*****), you sound like one. Those could be the shelf options, like our bookshelves have cover, rating, format, etc. Now that I'm watching more, I do search for directors as well as stars. I like to watch the translations on DVD extras. "The True Story of Puss N Boots" seemed originally filmed in French, and the Red Dwarf Season 1 has the full Japanese Pilot episode. So when ticking languages of film ...
what if dvd has other languages available? or bonus disc does?

message 48: by John (new)

John Perkins (riversofbabylon) | 6 comments AnEyeSpy wrote: "Checked Mubi, 99c, $1.99+, I'll stick to library where I get all my books and DVDs. That's one reason I wanted all my reviews together. I can post reviews on my library site, but few others do.
I..."

Not sure if you saw the email that was sent out after you signed up, but SeenTh.at is launching our BETA on March 19th. You should be getting an invite on that date or shortly after. In the mean time, here's a sneak peek of what the site looks like. Might help you determine whether or not it's worth the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7WoRt...

JP

message 49: by Rock (new)

Rock Angel (rockangel) i've had good recommendations from http://www.jinni.com where you can specify aspects of a movie that you like in ur search (called a semantic search). i also like that their database incl tv shows.

i haven't created an acct or seen how it merges with a Netflix acct, pls update me when you try it out!

message 50: by Rock (new)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread