Book Nook Cafe discussion

Health-Exercise-Diet > Recipe Thread #1

Comments (showing 151-200 of 565) (565 new)    post a comment »

Bobbie57 (bobbie572002) | 903 comments That sounds like a great experience and a great meal. The food is so varied. I think someone would gain more weight while watching the SuperBowl and eating the typical pizza and wings and it wouldn't be so wonderful.

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 212 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Donna, one of the reasons the cream of crab soup was so delicious was the GALLON of heavy cream that was used to make it!

And the chunks of jumbo crab.

And the dollop of avocado puree.

YUMMMM"

Gee, that all? I'll take a QUART of that stuff! :o)

Donna

Marcy | 10 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "you will probably gain 5 pounds reading this post, which I also posted at R and R

I just had to post this about what my sister and I did tonight. We went out for dinner to a place called Celebrity..."

This sounds so wonderful, JoAnn. The menu has my mouth watering. I've heard of Aleppo pepper - always meant to look for it. Now might be a good time!

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Bobbie57 wrote: "That sounds like a great experience and a great meal. The food is so varied. I think someone would gain more weight while watching the SuperBowl and eating the typical pizza and wings.."

Thanks Bobbie...I feel better now! My meal was indeed wonderful.

Tonight I am making a pork tenderloin and Ina Garten's Scalloped Tomatoes. I saw her making these a couple of weeks ago and the dish looked wonderful.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/in...

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Alias Reader wrote: "I recently ate at The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. " ..."

This is a place I need to visit, esp since my son lives near there. Our country club takes a bus ..."

------------

We ate the American Bounty restaurant. Though someone I know who went to school there, he said next time to go for the Italian. I think the other choice is French.

I don't know about the tour, but we had to make the reservation something like 3 months in advance.

Bobbie57 (bobbie572002) | 903 comments I saw the Ina Garten Scalloped Tomatoes and I thought it looked great. Let me know how it turns out.

Barbara

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Alias Reader wrote: ".I don't know about the tour, but we had to make the reservation something like 3 months in advance."

The nice thing about going with a group is that stuff is all taken care of for us. I hope we do "Italian" when and if we go.

Did you have dinner or lunch?

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Bobbie57 wrote: "I saw the Ina Garten Scalloped Tomatoes and I thought it looked great. Let me know how it turns out.

Barbara"

Bobbie, it was tasty, I thought. Not a "rave" but an unusual kind of side dish.

I cut the recipe in half and added a shallot. I also did not put Parmesian on it until I served it - my husband cannot stand the smell of Parmesan being cooked.

I think I would add more of the bread cubes. They seemed to get lost.

madrano | 815 comments Alias Reader wrote: "I recently ate at The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. It's a beautiful campus. You can see it on the link. The picture changes. That is the Hudson river you will see. It cost about the same per person w/o drinks. We ate at their American Bounty restaurant.
..."

Thanks for this tip, Alias. DH & i are going to be there soon & are now going to try to dine there. It never occurred to me to do that. THANKS.

MEANWHILE, JoAnn, what a treat for yourself & your sister. One question--did you know when you placed your reservation who your guest chefs were going to be or from which restaurant? I don't think it would bother me but i'm still curious. Neat, neat, neat!

deborah

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: " Did you have dinner or lunch?"

-------------------

dinner

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments madrano wrote: "Alias Reader wrote: "Thanks for this tip, Alias. DH & i are going to be there soon & are now going to try to dine there. It never occurred to me to do that. THANKS. ..."
----------------------------------

You're welcome. If you are going to be in the Hyde Park area, you really should visit, FDR's place, Vanderbilt mansion, and Val-Kill, Eleanor's place. I could spend all day at FDR's place. The house tour is fun and I could spend all day at the museum.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Deborah, yes, we knew who the chef would be and what he was cooking when we made our reservations. You always know this far in advance at this place.

Bobbie57 (bobbie572002) | 903 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Bobbie57 wrote: "I saw the Ina Garten Scalloped Tomatoes and I thought it looked great. Let me know how it turns out.

Barbara"

Bobbie, it was tasty, I thought. Not a "rave" but an unusual kind of..."

Sometimes I get so in a rut with the choices I make that I thought a different and unusual side dish would be a good thing. Adding a shallot and adding the cheese at the end sounds like the way I would do it. Glad it worked.

Barbara

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments I sent a friend of mine who lives in Provence the scalloped tomatoes recipe and this is what she said:

" That looks like a casserole version of the Tomate Provençal which is the ubiquitous accompaniment to grilled meats in the resto's around here. It's just a tomato cut in half topped with bread crumbs, minced garlic, olive oil and herbes de provence - baked or grilled for a few minutes.
bon appetit."

madrano | 815 comments Alias Reader wrote: "If you are going to be in the Hyde Park area, you really should visit, FDR's place, Vanderbilt mansion, and Val-Kill, Eleanor's place. I could spend all day at FDR's place. The house tour is fun and I could spend all day at the museum..."

That's the plan! In fact, we are spending a couple of days in & around the Hudson Valley, as we have many places we want to visit there. We're excited, more so now that we know a Great Meal is ahead too. :-)

deborah

madrano | 815 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Deborah, yes, we knew who the chef would be and what he was cooking when we made our reservations. You always know this far in advance at this place."

Perfect! It sounds as though it is a great treat and education, rolled into one.

deborah

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments madrano wrote: "That's the plan! In fact, we are spending a couple of days in & around the Hudson Valley, as we have many places we want to visit there. We're excited, more so now that we know a Great Meal is ahead too. :-) ..."
-------------------

I have to say, at American Bounty, the meal was uneven. Some things we loved others were an issue. Under cooked meat was one. If forgot what my sister had, lamb or veal, but it was very underdone. To the point you could not cut it. I would say it was good, not great.

Perhaps the Italian is better. They also have French.

The setting is great.

Oh, FYI, there is a dress code. Business causal. No sneakers, jeans etc.

madrano | 815 comments Thanks for the tips, Alias. French sounds good to me. Any underdone meat other than beef scares me.

deborah

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments I don't know anyone who has had the French, so can't comment. The person I know who worked there said go with the Italian next time.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Alias, have you ever eaten at L'Ecole, the restaurant run by the French Culinary Institute in NYC? It is on Broadway, on the edge of Soho.

http://www.frenchculinary.com/lecole/...

I have eaten there a couple of times and it was very good. There are prixfixe menus for lunch and dinner.

There is a great series of videos about the school online:

http://www.frenchculinary.com/french-...

madrano | 815 comments Oh, JoAnn, you are tempting me! It's clear i should go Italian at the CIA & then the French CI. Fine eating ahead!

deborah

message 172: by Alias Reader (last edited Feb 11, 2010 04:40PM) (new)

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments No, I haven't eaten there, JoAnn. I'll put it on my list. Thanks !

message 173: by Alias Reader (last edited Mar 26, 2010 08:54PM) (new)

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments I was watching The Doctors, and they had on a chef that made these 3 recopies. I thought they were quite interesting. Beans in your brownies !

"Celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito shares his renowned culinary knowledge of healthy cuisine. In his new book, Now Eat This: 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods All Under 350 Calories, he reworks America's favorite comfort foods. Now you can eat what you love without paying for it on the scale! "

Brownies

Ingredients:
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 1 ½ cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
• ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 tablespoon espresso powder
• ¾ cup egg substitute
• 2 tablespoons low-calorie sugar-free chocolate syrup, such as Walden Farms
• 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, such as Breakstone's
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
• 24 packets Truvia (84 g) or 8 tablespoons granulated Splenda
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine the beans, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and egg substitute in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway through.
3. Add the chocolate syrup, sour cream, butter, Truvia, and vanilla. Process until all of the ingredients are combined, about 1 minute.
4. Pout the batter into the prepared baking dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, turning the dish halfway through the baking time. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out with soft batter clinging to it.
5. Let the brownies cool completely in the baking dish on a wire rack. Then cut into 12 squares and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Flash-Fried Finger-Lickin' Chicken

Ingredients:
• 3 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
• Salt
• 4 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
• 2 quarts grapeseed oil
• 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
• 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
• 1 ½ teaspoons celery salt
• 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2 cups low-fat buttermilk

Directions:
1. Heat the chicken broth in a medium saucepot over high heat, seasoning it generously with salt. Add the chicken thighs to the pan and bring the broth to a simmer. Cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer gently until the chicken is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove the thighs from the liquid, pat them dry, and set them aside on a platter; cover with foil to keep them warm.
2. While the chicken is cooking, pour the grapeseed oil into a large pot with high sides, and bring it to 400 degrees F over high heat. Set a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet or over several layers of paper towels (for draining the chicken). In a shallow dish, combine the flour with the paprika, celery salt, black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and the cayenne. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
3. Combine the warm chicken thighs with the buttermilk in a large bowl, coating them completely. Dredge the thighs in the seasoned flour. Then dip the thighs in the buttermilk and dredge them in the seasoned flour once more, to double-coat the chicken. Shake off any excess flour.
4. Fry the chicken, 2 pieces at a time, in the hot oil until deep golden brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Drain on the wire rack, and serve immediately.

Better Than Mashed "Potatoes"

Ingredients:
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 2 ½ cups roughly chopped cauliflower
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• ½ cup Greek yogurt

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray.
2. Spread the cauliflower out on the prepared baking sheet. Season it with salt and pepper to taste. Top the cauliflower with another sheet of foil, and roll up the edges to form a sealed package.
3. Roast the cauliflower for 20 minutes. Remove the top foil, being careful of the steam, and continue roasting the cauliflower until it is tender, another 15 to 20 minutes.
4. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cauliflower with the yogurt. Puree until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired, and serve.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/show...

[image error] Now Eat This!: 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods, All Under 350 Calories by Rocco DiSpirito

madrano | 815 comments I've had mashed cauliflower & liked it but this was not with yogurt, which i think would be a tasty addition. Thanks.

I'd like to try the brownies but i'd have to make them in secret, so no one would know they had beans in them before tasting. What an unusual idea.

deborah

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments Rocco was on the morning show recently and did a whole cookout from his new cookbook. I can't remember all that he fixed, but the wedge salad looked great. I think he used Greek yogurt as a base for the salad dressing for that. He also made some kind of berry compote that looked good. I like Rocco and have his calendar in my kitchen, but those recipes are not reduced calorie. : )

Kate

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Greek yogurt is so creamy and does not have that bitter taste of other plain yogurt. I think I will try substituting it for some mayo in some recipes.

Deborah, I used to make an avocado pie, which I also made in secret. People thought it was some kind of key lime pie. It was delicious.

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments I don't think I've ever seen Greek yogurt. Would it be in the health food section?

Kate

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments kate/Edukate12 wrote: "I don't think I've ever seen Greek yogurt. Would it be in the health food section?

Kate"

Kate it is in the regular yogurt/dairy section at all the stores I go to. The containers are shorter and wider than other yogurts. It is also more expensive, but worth every penny!

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "kate/Edukate12 wrote: "I don't think I've ever seen Greek yogurt. Would it be in the health food section?

Kate"

Kate it is in the regular yogurt/dairy section at all the stores I go to. The cont..."

OK, I'll take a look. Several years ago I was on a goat yogurt kick, and that was in the health food section. Figured Greek yogurt might be the same.

Kate

Bobbie57 (bobbie572002) | 903 comments If you can't find Greek Yogurt you can fake/make your own. Take the regular plain yogurt and put it in a small strainer over a bowl overnight. Cover it over. The extra liquid drains out of it and you have a nice creamy product.

However, it is in all the supermarkets in my area too.
In the regular dairy section. I like to put a dollop on top of some fresh fruit and it makes me feel as if I am having a luscious dessert.

Barbara

madrano | 815 comments Greek yogurt is even available in Dallas grocer's, which was a stunner to me. While here in NYC i've been trying different yogurts. At present it's Soy yogurt. It's awfully glossy but i can't taste a difference. However, i'm only eating it plain or mixed with berries or cereal, so it's not a great test.

deborah, liking the idea of an avocado pie, wondering if it would fool my key lime pie lovin' DH

Bobbie57 (bobbie572002) | 903 comments I tried Soy yogurt a few months ago. I didn't really like it. I usually eat plain yogurt in whatever form I buy so that is usually my comparison. I add my own fruit. We do have a Greek yogurt with honey. I have done that. Sooo good.

Barbara

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments When baking muffins, especially blueberry ones, my neighbor adds Greek yogurt in place of some of the fat/oil for a healthier treat.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments If I do not have the "right" fruit to put in plain yogurt (something juicy), I put in some no-sugar preserves or orange marmalade, which I always have in the fridge.

madrano | 815 comments My blueberry muffins call for lemon yogurt but sometimes i add lemon juice & Greek yogurt. It doesn't change the taste but Greek yogurt is easier for me to find than lemon yogurt, for some reason.

deborah

message 186: by Alias Reader (last edited Mar 29, 2010 03:16PM) (new)

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments My freind asked me for this recipe from Prevention Magazine. I thought I would share it with you, too.

Prevention's Mac & Cheese

Prepare 8 oz whole wheat pasta according to package directions.

In medium saucepan, simmer 1/2 cup fat free milk with 1/2 12 oz package frozen butternut squash until combined.

Remove from heat and mix with 1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, 1/4 tsp dry mustard, and pepper to taste.

Pour drained pasta into 8 x 8" baking dish, stir in cheese mixture, and top with 1 tablespoon each Parmesan and bread crumbs.

Bake at 375 for 20 min.

Serves 4

- Serving ideas : green salad or broccoli or other green vegetable.

- subbing in butternut squash adds fiber & antioxidants
- Using fat free milk and reduced fat cheese lowers calories and fat
- whole wheat pasta adds fiber

* When my friend made this she also added finely chopped sautéed onions.

madrano | 815 comments What a delicious sounding dish. I was just thinking today that mac & cheese would be a taste treat. This sounds perfect, since i'm also a fan of butternut squash. Thanks, Alias.

deborah

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments I love mac & cheese. And thought this was a nice tasty alternative to the blue box. And it's pretty simple. I buy butternut squash already frozen and cubed.

I also like the nice crust you get on top when baking.

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments Alias, that mac and cheese sounds great. I'm going to give it a try!
Kate

Bobbie57 (bobbie572002) | 903 comments Wow -- that sounds great with the butternut squash. It is kind of a pain to make from scratch but frozen is great.
Definitely need to try that. I could eat that without feeling guilty!!

Barbara

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments I sometimes even make my butternut squash soup from the frozen pureed squash. YUM

message 192: by Alias Reader (last edited May 08, 2010 08:45PM) (new)

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments *** Re-posting this thread

by Carol/Bonadie
Okay, when I have to bring something to a pot luck I always struggle, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions. I need a main course dish or a vegetable side dish.

Any suggestions?

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8164 comments Does the pot luck have a theme? Is it family or for an organization?

message 194: by Donna in Southern Maryland (last edited May 08, 2010 01:36PM) (new)

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 212 comments Carole, I'm going to one tomorrow myself, so I just finished looking for a recipe. I have so many, and I usually go to my Taste of Home, Quick Cooking, or Southern Living Cookbooks. I have a wonderful recipe for a potato casserole made with frozen hash browns, soups and cheese, but I thought I'd try something new. The family always expects it. My favorite website for that is allrecipes.com. (Sorry I couldn't get the link language to work)

You can search for what you want, and the BEST thing is you can adjust the servings, and it will recalculate the ingredients! it also features reviews, and I always read those. They tell you how it's turned out when they made it, and any adjustments they've made to the recipe.

I chose "Minnesota Broccoli Salad" for something different that I know my family hasn't had, and DH can make pretty easily. I'll let you know how it goes.

Donna in Southern Maryland

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments That hash brown, soup and cheese casserole is a definate winner at potlucks. If you don't have the recipe Carole, hopefully Donna will be generous because i'm not sure where mine is.

kate

message 196: by Donna in Southern Maryland (last edited May 08, 2010 01:43PM) (new)

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 212 comments Here we go, straight from Allrecipes.com

Potato Casserole

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
Servings: 12
"This simple-to-assemble casserole is rich and buttery in flavor with a crispy top, thanks to the crushed corn flakes."
INGREDIENTS:
1 (30 ounce) package frozen hash
brown potatoes
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream
of mushroom soup
1 onion, chopped
1 cup butter
3 cups crushed corn flakes
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Pour the hash browns into a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the cheese, sour cream and soup.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion with 1 stick butter and saute for 5 minutes. Add this to the soup mixture and spread this over the potatoes in the dish.
4. Next, arrange the crushed corn flakes over all in the dish. Melt the remaining stick of butter and pour this evenly over the corn flakes.
5. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 1 hour.

Now, this is not the most 'good for you' dish in the world, but if you have it once a year, it won't kill you, and it's guaranteed to get you rave reviews!

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 73 comments Alias Reader wrote: "Does the pot luck have a theme? Is it family or for an organization?"

It's for a newly formed church group. I may have mentioned here that I took a seminar through my church, a pilot program called Chronic Care Community Corps whose purpose is to help people intersested in learning more about help for the chronically ill, and supporting people who are caregivers.

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 73 comments Donna in Southern Maryland wrote: "Here we go, straight from Allrecipes.com

Potato Casserole..."

Oh thank you Donna. I'm going to try it, and allrecipes.com.

Do you stick it in the oven at the potluck before setting it out, or do you have something that keeps it warm enough. Or does it matter? The hostess lives near where I work, so I'll need to bring it in to work (we have a refrigerator) and take it right to the pot luck.

madrano | 815 comments Donna, that Minnesota Broccoli Salad sounds good. How did it go over? Here's the link, btw. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Minnesot...

I'd like to try it but suspect i'd end up adding plain yogurt to lessen the mayo. Still, i'm a fan of cold broccoli dishes. I like broccoli cole slaws, too, which is what i tend to take to pot lucks.

Carol, please let us know how the potato casserole goes. Sounds good. Your new group sounds interesting, as well. It sounds as though it will be a value to the church community.

deborah

message 200: by Donna in Southern Maryland (last edited May 09, 2010 10:56AM) (new)

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 212 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Donna in Southern Maryland wrote: "Here we go, straight from Allrecipes.com

Potato Casserole..."

Do you stick it in the oven at the potluck before setting it out, or do you have something that keeps it warm enough. Or does it matter? The hostess lives near where I work, so I'll need to bring it in to work (we have a refrigerator) and take it right to the pot luck.

It's very forgiving Carole. I have one of those Casserole Carriers with a 'pack that you can heat up and it keeps things warmer thingy' in it. But since you are going to refrigerate, if you can stick it in the oven at 350 for a few minutes until warm, or even pop it in the microwave for 2 or 3 minutes. You can eat it at room temp, but I think it's a little better warm. Good luck!

BTW, your new group sounds like just what we need more of in this day and time. I hope it is successful, and spreads.

Deborah said: I'd like to try it but suspect i'd end up adding plain yogurt to lessen the mayo. Still, i'm a fan of cold broccoli dishes. I like broccoli cole slaws, too, which is what i tend to take to pot lucks.

The shindig is this afternoon, so I'll let you know how it was received. Tasted pretty good right after making, but it should be better today after the flavors meld. Deb, I think it would be fine to change the 'goop' ingredients. One of the reviews said it was rather like a potato salad done with broccoli. Depending on my mood, I will use yogurt, Ranch Dressing, and even light Sour Cream to mine. Just a matter of taste!