Book Nook Cafe discussion

Health-Exercise-Diet > Recipe Thread #1

Comments (showing 451-500 of 565) (565 new)    post a comment »

message 451: by Babs (new)

Babs (somedaybabs) | 42 comments Madrano wrote: "Babs wrote: "Here's one for the leftovers from the Culinary Institute of America soup cookbook:

Corned Beef, Barley and Cabbage Soup
..."

We use our leftovers for Ruebens, a specialty of DH's. Th..."

I love ruebens too...the soup is a way to satisfy my corned beef craving w/o the cheese and thousand island dressing I smother my ruebens with. No bread either.

I only enjoy the boiled corned beef dinner one night and then love to make other dishes with the beef and vegetables..like the hash or soup. I do not use the cooking water in the soup like some people do and start with fresh stock since it is heatlhier.

Hope you enjoy the soup if you make it..be sure to post your review even if you did not like it.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Deborah, does your Reuben Dip have sauerkraut in it? And what do you use as a dipper?

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments Yes, it has sauerkraut. Here's the recipe, as you can see suggested dippers are included at the end--
* 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
* 1 (8 oz.) cream cheese
* 1 (6 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
* 6 ounces diced corned beef
* 2 tbsp. Thousand Island Dressing

Drain and rinse sauerkraut, mix with cream cheese and Swiss cheese. Add diced corned beef and Thousand Island dressing. Cover and heat on low until cheeses are melted, stirring occasionally to blend all ingredients. Serve warm with crackers or cocktail rye bread.

I'm going to use the cocktail pumpernickel, however. Will let you know!

deb

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments thanks for the Reuben Dip recipe. Sounds delicious.

I heard about a local restaurant serving Reuben Soup this week. I called to be sure I had the correct info and they are only serving it tomorrow, by which time I will be long gone (I am at the beach). Boo hoo

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments I am doing something novel, skipping the hot Corned Beef dinner & going straight for the recipes with "leftovers". So, i crockpotted (?) the beef overnight & will serve the dip for lunch. Then, freeze the rest because our 9 year old nephew is coming for 3 days of his spring break. Next week i'm making the soup &, i suspect there'll be enough, a Reuben casserole i've wanted to try for awhile. We do enjoy our corned beef!

Happy St. Patrick's Day, friends. If you are not wearing green, pinch yourself & say, "That's from

deborah"

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments The Rueben Dip was delicious, directly from the crockpot where i cooked it. However, the leftovers have been unsatisfactory. Fortunately DH is a human garbage disposal, so i don't have to try to help him finish it...nor plan lunches for the next two days. :-)

deb

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Madrano wrote: "The Rueben Dip was delicious, directly from the crockpot where i cooked it. However, the leftovers have been unsatisfactory. ..."

The leftovers of the Reuben dip or something else?

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments I am making a decadent dessert tonight - but we rarely have dessert, so what the heck? It is called ETON MESS

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ni...

Linda | 126 comments Linda wrote: "I read this book expecting to read exactly what it was. No higher expectations at the time, so I enjoyed it for what it was. Charming characters, without a doubt. Food descriptions, I'm so thankful..."

JoAnn, I just realized that I never answered you here. My apologies!

I would love to write about food and Lord knows I talk about it enough. Fortunately enough I don't eat as much as I talk! But it is a possibility. My father was encouraging to write about some of my Pre School experiences with the children. I would tell him about the things they say and do and he would be rolling with laughter. Other people seem to think I have had some quite unique experiences in other areas of life as well and a fairly good sense of humor about them . Who knows....

I love watercolor painting, but haven't had the time to paint in ages. I draw, used to love life drawing classes and enjoy pen and ink. I also do calligraphy. But now that that is so easily computer generated.... for now, most of my creative energy goes into doing artwork with the little ones. Now that can be a challenge! Later on in the day comes the homework challenge with my 11 year old. They way they are taught math now is going to put me in the looney bin!

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Update on ETON MESS

AMAZINGLY GOOD!

Linda | 126 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Update on ETON MESS

AMAZINGLY GOOD!"

JoAnn, castor or vanilla sugar? Would that be the same as infusing reg. sugar with a split vanilla bean? I've never seen either for sale, so infused sugar is what comes to mind, but then again I have never looked for them.

This sounds delish!

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Linda wrote: "JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Update on ETON MESS

AMAZINGLY GOOD!"

JoAnn, castor or vanilla sugar? Would that be the same as infusing reg. sugar with a split vanilla bean? I've never seen either for sale..."

I just used superfine sugar, which I happened to have on hand, and vanilla meringues. I figured that the vanilla meringues made up for the non-vanilla sugar.

Here is some info:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5332306_sub...

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "The leftovers of the Reuben dip or something else?"

The dip.

Last summer i made something similar to the Eton Mess without knowing it. It began with making meringues for strawberries, my first attempt. A couple fell apart when i removed them from the baking sheet (spread too thin), so i mixed them into the "stewed" strawberries (only a tad of sugar added). It was divine. I may have used vanilla sugar when i whipped the cream. The bits of meringue in the dessert made it tops for me. Now i'll know what to call it, more or less.

deb

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments That was a happy accident, Deb!

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments Indeed, JoAnn.

Has anyone here made cream puffs? This weekend, while my li'l nephew was here, the kid who loves baking more than video games, we made cream puffs. They puffed & tasted fine but i realized it's a lot of work for something that just wasn't that tasty. Of course it didn't help that we were limited to what he'd "allow" me to fill it with--vanilla ice cream and chocolate pudding. (No tuna or chicken salad allowed, said my apprentice.) They looked nice & i could see they would add variety to a dessert plate but i'm not inclined to make them again.

deb

Bobbie57 (bobbie572002) | 883 comments My mother-in-law used to make delicious cream puffs. And like your nephew they were only supposed to be for dessert. I kept trying it until I got it right, but it is a heck of a lot of work.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments I never saw the appeal of cream puffs either, Deborah. They are a very labor-intensive "vehicle", IMHO. I would just as soon have my chicken salad on a mini-croissant and my ice cream or pudding with a spoon!

Linda | 126 comments I'm with the chicken salad on the croissant!

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments Oh gosh, I make cream puffs every year at Christmas and other times if the kids beg. Love 'em!

kate

message 470: by Linda (last edited Mar 21, 2011 02:14PM) (new)

Linda | 126 comments Cod is on sale at out local A&P this week, $4.99 a pound . I made this dish the other night with 1 1/2 pound of cod. It was gone before I knew it! My girl 11 year old daughter couldn't get enough of it. So, I'll post this. The only variation I had to this recipe is I did season the cod with Pampered Chef (salt free) lemon pepper seasoning before. And baked at 350 for about 35 minutes. Not 325. Soooo good!

Prep Time:
15 Min Cook Time:
20 Min Ready In:
35 Min
Servings (Help)

USMetricCalculate

Original Recipe Yield 4 servings
Ingredients

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 pound cod fillets
salt and pepper to taste
Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
In a bowl, mix the spinach, 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, about 5 tablespoons dry bread crumbs, and the egg. Spread the mixture into the bottom of a small baking dish. Arrange the cod fillets on top of the spinach mixture, and season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining Cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
Cover, and bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Linda | 126 comments I've made creme puffs a couple of times to make a croquembouche.
So not worth the trouble! Nice to look at, but there are far more tastier things to expend one's efforts on!

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Linda, thanks for this recipe. Sounds good. Love a dish that is almost a complete dinner.

Bobbie57 (bobbie572002) | 883 comments I'm not against eating the cream puffs; I'm just not baking them. Lots of nice bakeries around here.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments I am making a "celebrity dinner" tonight:

Ina Garten's Lemon Garlic chicken (lots of garlic!)

Laurie Colwin's marinated brussels sprouts

Leslie/CloudLA's Tomato Pie (fondly known in my family as "Tomato Pie to Die For!")

My house smells of brussels sprouts and GARLIC, despite the scented candle that I have been burning for hours!

Linda | 126 comments My family ♥ 's all the components of your dinner! What time should we come over? :)

Seriously, our girl loves garlic, brussels sprouts, asparagus, tomatoes, fish....and of course chicken. She often asks me to make her cream of spinach soup and split pea for dinner! So far, I have been very successful with her loving healthy foods. Her friends and mine think she is a perfect angel when she is with them. Which is the way she is supposed to be. House devil, street angel, right? But at home, oh boy....! I'm gonna need some luck with the rest....! An 11 year old girl, this day and age....hmmm! What I have going for us is that I gave birth at 40, so I know that I've been there , done that.

message 476: by Madrano (last edited Mar 22, 2011 04:17AM) (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments kate/Edukate12 wrote: "Oh gosh, I make cream puffs every year at Christmas and other times if the kids beg. Love 'em!

kate"

Kate, i'm wondering what you stuff them with? I enjoy eclairs but after this realized what we made tastes similar, so it may be i've just lost my appreciation. It was fun science watching them "grow" as they baked!

Linda wrote: "I've made creme puffs a couple of times to make a croquembouche.
So not worth the trouble! Nice to look at, but there are far more tastier things to expend one's efforts on!"

Oh my gosh, Linda, you made one of those?! I've had a photo (from a magazine) of one in my cookbook for years, thinking it would inspire me. NOT. Instead i think it inhibited me. However, now i'm wishing we'd made one of those. I mean, if you are gonna experiment...

deb

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments Linda wrote: "House devil, street angel, right?..."

This is such an excellent description of my own children and others i know. If i can, i always make a point of letting parents know how much we enjoy their child (if we do, that is!) because we are cognizant of this devil/angel business. How many times was i relieved when someone said similar things about our children?!

deb

Bobbie57 (bobbie572002) | 883 comments I am reminded of the teacher's conference for one of my grandkids. The teacher said how well behaved he was and my son and DIL wondered if that was their kid she was talking about. LOL

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8421 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "I am making a "celebrity dinner" tonight:
--------------------

If you would like to share, what are we celebrating? I love to hear good news. :)

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Alias, it was a celebrity dinner, not a celebration! LOL I made 3 recipes that I got from "celebrities", including our Leslie.

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8421 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Alias, it was a celebrity dinner, not a celebration! LOL I made 3 recipes that I got from "celebrities", including our Leslie."

------------

Think how far I could go if I could only read. :-O

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments Alias Reader wrote: "Think how far I could go if I could only read. :-O ..."

I hear ya! Lately i seem to find myself thinking similar thoughts but now you've given me the perfect words for that feeling. Thanks, i think. :-)

Linda | 126 comments Madrano wrote: "kate/Edukate12 wrote: "Oh gosh, I make cream puffs every year at Christmas and other times if the kids beg. Love 'em!

kate"

Kate, i'm wondering what you stuff them with? I enjoy eclairs but afte..."

Madrano wrote: "kate/Edukate12 wrote: "Oh gosh, I make cream puffs every year at Christmas and other times if the kids beg. Love 'em!

kate"

Kate, i'm wondering what you stuff them with? I enjoy eclairs but afte..."

Deb, I made "one of those" years ago. I don't think I have it in me any longer to make one again. The same goes for making a buche de noel!

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments Sorry I missed your post where you asked me about the eclairs Deb. Mine are dessert eclairs. I have a couple of recipes I use, but all involve some kind of creamy filling, usually pudding based.

Kate

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments Thanks, Kate. That's what i was thinking would taste swell but didn't. Maybe i've just outgrown them? The family thought they were tasty.

Linda, i understand what you mean about having it "in me" any longer. Those days seem to be gone. I pull out the recipes, then talk myself out of the effort. :-)

deborah

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Madrano wrote: "I pull out the recipes, then talk myself out of the effort. :-) ..."

WELL PUT!

This weekend I am going to go through my recipe files, both the online one and my "real" book of recipes I have saved (I have them in an expanding recipe file "folder" from Hallmark). I am going to do a gigantic PURGE. Who am I kidding? I will not make 10% of these recipes!

kate/Edukate12 | 183 comments I need to do a gigantic purge for sure!! I have recipes in folders labeled by category. There are so many that the folders take up one whole shelf of a kitchen cabinet. Ridiculous!! I love to read recipes and now I just need to train myself to read and pass by.

kate

Linda | 126 comments Madrano wrote: "Thanks, Kate. That's what i was thinking would taste swell but didn't. Maybe i've just outgrown them? The family thought they were tasty.

Linda, i understand what you mean about having it "in me" ..."

LOL!!

That particular category of recipes has grown over the years for myself as well. I also have a whole category of cook books that I think are for people with more time or patience than I have! But I do ♥ my cookbooks!

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments I had a delicious salad today.....cooked (but crunchy) fresh green beans with toasted pine nuts, lemon juice, olive oil, and lemon zest. S and P. and some chopped parsley. It was very simple, lightly dressed, and good.

I suppose you have all heard the warnings about the pine nuts coming from China causing a lingering bitter taste in the mouths of some people who eat them......

Madrano (madran) | 3157 comments JoAnn, this is bizarre because that is EXACTLY what we had last night with our meal. The recipe was called a salad but had no greens, so i just called it a side dish. We like crunchy green beans with our salads, so i made extra, which are marinating as we speak for tonight's salad. (We also marinate the tomatoes & small potatoes sometimes.)

We are going out of town next week, so are trying to use up all the produce & bits of stuff in the house. The pine nuts are an example, i had just enough for the recipe. Same with olive oil. I made stewed apples, too, which i finished up for breakfast. My fruit & veggie basket is almost empty. It's a sort of purge.

Speaking of which, good luck in your recipe purging. I fell into that last week, in my efforts to find one recipe. I am not liking my online cookbook as much as i thought i would. Maybe if i had a laptop or other computer in the kitchen it would work better but i'm not sure. ANYway, i purged with a full stomach & was dismayed at how many i tossed! Fortunately many of them never made it into the cookbook/scrapbook i keep, so there was little "forcible" removals. ;-)

deb

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8421 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: I suppose you have all heard the warnings about the pine nuts coming from China causing a lingering bitter taste in the mouths of some people who eat them......

-------------

No. Is there some health issue with them ?

Pine nuts are super expensive. Since they opened a very large Asian supermarket near me, a lot of people go there for the pine nuts as they are less expensive. I love pine nut cookies, they call them pignoli in Italian. Though I don't make them and at $20 a pound I don't buy them.

Here is a recipe
http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/1...

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Deb, anything I put olive oil on is a salad. LOL Last night we had a marinated brussels sprouts salad.

The issue with the Chinese pine nuts is the bitter taste they apparently are leaving in some people's mouths, and it can last for weeks. Now you know why maybe they are so cheap at that market! Apparently the Chinese government even called a conference on this issue.

I buy my pine nuts in small quantities at the health food store - they are in bins and are not from China. They have spices in bins too, so if I need something exotic, I can buy a small amount.

I like pignoli, too, Alias.

message 493: by Alias Reader (last edited Mar 25, 2011 08:06PM) (new)

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8421 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: The issue with the Chinese pine nuts is the bitter taste they apparently are leaving in some people's mouths, and it can last for weeks. Now you know why maybe they are so cheap at that market! Apparently the Chinese government even called a conference on this issue.."
--------------

I wonder what is causing that. Maybe some pesticide. That's scary. I have to tell my neighbor. He and his wife buy pine nuts there all the time.

I wish I had a good health food store in my neighborhood. There was one about a 2 mile walk away but it closed this winter. :(

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8421 comments Thanks for the articles, JoAnn.

I wonder how long it will take the FDA to "investigate". I am sure it is not high on their To Do list as no one is getting really sick.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Alias Reader wrote: "Thanks for the articles, JoAnn.

I wonder how long it will take the FDA to "investigate". I am sure it is not high on their To Do list as no one is getting really sick."

I was at my health food store today and their pine nuts come from China. I was really surprised. The person who helped me said if one eats them in moderation, it should be okay. Personally, I do not want to take that risk!

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 8421 comments I agree with you 100% JoAnn. There is a reason it having this effect on people and it can't be something good. I say listen to your body.

I am guessing it is some pesticide that is sprayed on the trees or in the soil. No thank you.

I also wouldn't believe something from China that says it is organic.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Apparently pine nuts go rancid easily ---due to their high oil content, they aren't as shelf-stable as other nuts and should be kept in a refrigerator or freezer.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 712 comments Deborah, cannot remember where we were discussing editing our recipe files. Well, this has turned into a HUGE project.

I "discarded" @ 150 recipes that were stored on the computer.

I then went to a drawer where I keep recipes that I have ripped out or printed out - "to be tried". I threw away @ 75 from there.

Then I found a "to try" folder where I have the recipes separated into categories. I just finished going through that and threw away @50.

I think I need to consolidate my "to try" recipes!!!

Next up is a Hallmark accordian file (made for recipes) that I have had for about 25 years. It has all of my favorite recipes which I use often, plus some that I have forgotten about. I found a noodle kugel recipe in it the other night - have not made it for YEARS.

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 212 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Deborah, cannot remember where we were discussing editing our recipe files. Well, this has turned into a HUGE project.

I "discarded" @ 150 recipes that were stored on the computer.

I then went t..."

So how did you feel, JoAnn, after you purged all those recipes? Did you 'dither' over any? Wonder "WHAT was I thinking?"

The last few days, I have been going back to that "throw 5 things away every day" thing. Once I get started, it's hard to stop! :o)

Donna